Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 08:09 AM   #91
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
OP here...

aaaaand yesterday the AC unit stopped working. I think it is either the fan motor or compensator. Either way it is gonna cost $$ to get fixed. That is what the emergency fund is for.

For more information for the finance oriented We do have an emergency fund. We want this cruise paid before we go, not credit. My job is such that I get a small salary plus large commissions. The commissions come when deals close and can be sporadic. The fall is normally a really good time for them. My commission double at a certain level. My next one will get me to that level. That will come at the end of the month, or beginning of Sept.

My wife works 1 day a week and keeps the kids. She can work up to full time if she needs to/they need her to. Which right now they do. Just 4 weeks of her working extra shifts is enough to pay off our cruise balance.

So it is not like we are being totally irresponsible here (maybe a little) Our monthly expenses for living are not that bad. Cars are paid off, mortgage is under $1,000/month.

again Thank you everyone. We told one of the couples last night that we are going to cancel and hopefully rebook. So please, send your prayers and pixie dust our way!
When it rains.....

My dad worked on commission when I was growing up - he only got paid quarterly commissions - he EVENTUALLY figured it out, but it took until after I was grown up for him to manage not to run out of money by the end of the quarter - basically he eventually put enough aside that he had an extra quarter of "low year, low season" commissions he could dip into. It was a tough way to grow up and had a HUGE impact on my own financial life - I never wanted to live like we did for the last two weeks of the quarter - with no money for a movie if you got invited by friends, eating cream of mushroom soup over egg noodles.

Good luck.
crisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #92
NokOnHarts
Mouseketeer

So sorry OP! I hope it still works out for you to go. I think you are making the right decision though, with everything happening it's best to cancel and then rebook when you can. We will have all our $ saved up before our trip payments are due since it's still a year away but even with that being the case, if there was a huge repair needed for the house or some other large emergency, the trip would get postponed. Even if it's all "in the bank" sometimes you have to postpone to take care of life. Hoping it works out for you despite all the roadblocks.
NokOnHarts is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #93
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

Last year I lost my job of nearly 14 years. I was to say debated. I had a 4 night dream cruise booked that I had done the week before for a FL rate. I had some CC bills I paid off with my 401k so I became debt free a wonderful feeling. Every 2 weeks at least if not every week I put money into a savings account it is mostly for travel and other things that happen in life. I also put $100 on a cruise every month and slowly it gets paid. My husband gets no vacation time and I do not get any until Oct so if we go we have to cover our days off. I work extra shifts at my job to help cover the winter when my husband does not work much we also own DVC. We are needing to get away he has had 2 off days since May but our friends want to go away in Feb during president week which is high cruise prices. There is nothing open for DVC at this time. So we are having to make decisions but trying to use the least amount of money for a cruise get away. Final payment is due next week and we will not be going on that. So must change. Other things in life can happen A/c unit blows out on car $1250, don't use all your money for the cruise and not have money for later. Even if it is just a few months.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: