Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
fairydust1278
"The path to your destiny lies within the magic of your heart."

AOA Resort-Little Mermaid Rooms

Hi all. We are looking into a trip for next year and want to stay at AOA. The only rooms that work with our budget are the LM rooms. I have been reading conflicting reports about the walk from the room to the main building. Just wondering if i should stay with this choice or choose another of the value resorts.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

You are going to get quite a few different opinions! Here is mine:

I am a runner and reasonably fit. We were in building 9 and I thought it was a HIKE. I've stayed at all of the value resorts several times each and never in a preferred room, yet nothing felt anywhere near as long to me as the LM "mile."

It was so long that I never refilled my mug except at meals.

My companion, not much into walking, had a car and we would often DRIVE to the food court.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairydust1278 View Post
Hi all. We are looking into a trip for next year and want to stay at AOA. The only rooms that work with our budget are the LM rooms. I have been reading conflicting reports about the walk from the room to the main building. Just wondering if i should stay with this choice or choose another of the value resorts.
It's definitely at least a 5 min walk I'd say. I stayed in one of the cars suites so I'm not sure exactly but we walked to the LM pool. I think the AoA resort is great though. The theming is perfect and the decorations are beautiful. I haven't stayed at any of the other value resorts though so I can't compare them.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
Desnik
I actually love packing and planning
I'm glad DH and I were friends first then a couple

We stayed at AoA LM room in Dec and the walk from our building (7) to the main building was simple & took less than 10 mins. Sometimes it took longer because we would stop and check out all the cool things along the way!

FYI, we had a corner room on the 4th floor and were able to see Fireworks from our room! We loved the resort so much & added 2 extra nights to our coming trip just so we can stay there again!
Old 08-03-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
mom2cgj
Mouseketeer

Personally, I wouldn't let the walk discourage you from staying there. It is maybe 10 minutes to the farthest building (with kids, no stroller, not hurrying). One thing to remember is there is a lot to look at on the walk. It's not like you are just walking down a sidewalk. My kids always had to stop to talk to the seagulls, then they would say hi to Rafiki and run around in the elephant boneyard. We were in LK, but often walked around the other areas because they were having so much fun!

It's a great resort, and if you like the Little Mermaid, I think there is a lot of fun in staying in that section. The walk is just one part of the equation.

AoA Cars - Jan. 2015 - Pre Trip Report:There's No Such Thing As Too Much Planning!

AoA Lion King - Jan. 2013 5 Newbies Visit the World!!
mom2cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
fairydust1278

i do love the way this resort is set up and little mermaid is one of my fave movies. my kids (both boys) love cars, lion king and finding nemo, so this resort is a mix of what we all love. i of course love those movies too so it's got a lot of draw for us. i was considering another value but i just cannot see me staying anywhere else when i am already in love with this resort just by looking at pictures.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I would not let the walk time affect your decision. You should know, though, that the LM rooms are never discounted in Disney's promotions. To me, that is their biggest downside, not the extra couple of minutes of walking.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2cgj View Post
Personally, I wouldn't let the walk discourage you from staying there. It is maybe 10 minutes to the farthest building (with kids, no stroller, not hurrying). One thing to remember is there is a lot to look at on the walk. It's not like you are just walking down a sidewalk. My kids always had to stop to talk to the seagulls, then they would say hi to Rafiki and run around in the elephant boneyard. We were in LK, but often walked around the other areas because they were having so much fun!

It's a great resort, and if you like the Little Mermaid, I think there is a lot of fun in staying in that section. The walk is just one part of the equation.
This is exactly right.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
fairydust1278

that's okay. considering the price of the suites the LM rooms will be what we choose. I just cannot afford those prices with the budget we have for this trip.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #10
dpswift
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
I would not let the walk time affect your decision. You should know, though, that the LM rooms are never discounted in Disney's promotions. To me, that is their biggest downside, not the extra couple of minutes of walking.
Agree we stayed for 2 nights in February and we loved it. However we could have stayed at a moderate for less money. The walk is really not that much longer compared to the other values. The resort is much nicer than the other values.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: