Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #106
beaglefan
TX Cruiser

Let me just say that we have been on two cruises, and have been so glad that we have bought the unlimited CD package for both cruises. The photographers are amazing at getting the best angle (take those pounds off!), getting fun pictures of the kids (do you realize how tough it is to get two toddlers to smile and look at the camera at the same time), and being exceptionally patient during photo shoots.

We used to get pictures taken at the local photo studio and spend $100-$200. We felt rushed, hated the props, and waited forever. On the cruise, we find the character photo shoots to have long lines, but the blank white/black backdrops they offer have almost no line and we have literally done three changes of clothing during a single photo shoot.

We choose not to buy the prints, figuring we can go to Costco and get enlargements cheaper than their price of prints.

we too found every photo taken (bad ones included) out at Shutters for viewing and on the CD.

Props to the photo crew (who take good care of us when we tip $10-$20...)

beaglefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #107
labdogs42
I managed to wrestle a playhouse to the ground and twisted it into submission

Oooh, thanks for the tip "tip"! For some reason, those things never occur to me. Makes total sense! I just ore paid for my CD yesterday thanks to this thread. Can't wait for the cruise!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #108
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Does that mean we should tip each photographer?? Aren't there a lot?? Can someone please assist those of us who do not come from a tipping culture as to how to do this correctly?
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #109
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

We have never tipped the photographers and have never gotten the impression we were supposed to. I just assumed they were a non-tipped position like youth CMs, which means they're not allowed to accept cash tips. Our photos are always fabulous and I include the Shutters staff on our comment card.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #110
debsters41
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
We have never tipped the photographers and have never gotten the impression we were supposed to. I just assumed they were a non-tipped position like youth CMs, which means they're not allowed to accept cash tips. Our photos are always fabulous and I include the Shutters staff on our comment card.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards
thank you!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:57 AM   #111
George69
Mouseketeer

By all means, play the lottery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
I don't think I got lucky 3 times ... if so, I should be buying lottery tickets. Because that's how many times I've bought the CD.

Where on the website does it say that Shutters excludes excursion photos?
I, personally, am not a betting person
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #112
George69
Mouseketeer

Question How long does it take (in line) to get the CD on the last night/day?

Hi, at the end of the trip is when everyone picks up their pics/cd/books. How long does that take, esp. concerned on getting off the ship in time for our bus. Also, if you get a CD, do you need to check your pics consistently throughout the cruise or can I just preorder, check it once, and pick up on last day/night and poof all pics will be there?
Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #113
George69
Mouseketeer

Photo Disk Q

Can I put all of the pics from disk onto more than one computer? (YES. found answer) Are the pics then mine to print multiples of each, and also, be SENT via INTERNET to CVS, Shutterfly, etc. to make copies or books, or etc. without release form problems (anyone do this?)(YES, found answer)

Last edited by George69; 08-01-2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: got answers
George69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #114
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

Quote:
Originally Posted by George69 View Post
Hi, at the end of the trip is when everyone picks up their pics/cd/books. How long does that take, esp. concerned on getting off the ship in time for our bus. Also, if you get a CD, do you need to check your pics consistently throughout the cruise or can I just preorder, check it once, and pick up on last day/night and poof all pics will be there?
I check constantly throughout the cruise to make sure the photos are there. If you do it daily, then you won't forget what photos you had taken the day before. You'll know if something is missing. A lot of times they're scanning your Key to the World card and other times, they're relying on facial recognition software which isn't foolproof.

If you're lucky, the CD is ready for you the evening before. One time, it was delivered to our stateroom, another time we had to get it in the morning (that was a bit of a hassle because of how busy they were) and this last time, one of the photographers saw us walking through after dinner and chased after us telling us our CD was done. So we had the CD the evening before.

The day before you leave the ship, you can ask Shutters about when to get the CD and tell them you have a bus to catch in the morning.
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 PM   #115
George69
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxlbarrel View Post
I check constantly throughout the cruise to make sure the photos are there. If you do it daily, then you won't forget what photos you had taken the day before. You'll know if something is missing. A lot of times they're scanning your Key to the World card and other times, they're relying on facial recognition software which isn't foolproof.

If you're lucky, the CD is ready for you the evening before. One time, it was delivered to our stateroom, another time we had to get it in the morning (that was a bit of a hassle because of how busy they were) and this last time, one of the photographers saw us walking through after dinner and chased after us telling us our CD was done. So we had the CD the evening before.

The day before you leave the ship, you can ask Shutters about when to get the CD and tell them you have a bus to catch in the morning.
Good info. to know, ,I will check it periodically, thanks for the quick reply
Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 AM   #116
Pfsedita
Earning My Ears

Just off the Dream last Thursday and Shutters was my only really complaint about the trip. I found the info we got from the Shutters staff and other cast members as well as the navigator info very confusing.

1. Thought there would be photo ops as we went into dinner each night. Sadly no. This was an incorrect assumption on my part from a previous non-dcl cruise.
2. Navigator had info on professional portrait taking but no info on when Shutters would be there for character encounters. Had a long talk with a Shutters person toward the end and they are working to rectify this, with perhaps a coding on the Navigator.
3. On a shorter cruise, no Shutters on night one or night three in the dining rooms. The explanation was not enough time.
4. Fairly limited times there were employees at the Shutters counter itself. Until I went there when it was open, I didn't realize there were a bunch of pictures to check on the wall that the photo recognition did not catch.
5. There were no candid photos taken except ones posed for in the dining rooms on nights 2 and 3 and for a very short time on CC. The ladies in my group did the CC 5K. No Shutters as we got off the boat (as we had to follow the 5K sign) and none for the run. No Shutters getting on the boat so we didn't get a pic with our families. We were all really surprised there was not at least someone at the finish line.
6. THere seemed to be a real lack of photographers. Not sure if this is the norm (as first timers) or just this sailing. We ended up with about 50 pictures on the CD but many of those were just duplicates of poses. Only about 20 distinct pictures. Just enough to make the CD a logical choice over the 10/15 picture packages.
7. No stock photos to buy digitally. None even offered like photopass has for the parks. I was able to buy a few character poses for CC but no on disc. I scrapbook digitally so I will scan them. It seemed weird that there would not have at least been some offered.
8. Because of the limited time for the professional pictures, the atrium at those times was CRAZY!! We kind of figured it out by the third night but keeping 4 kids 10 and under in line and clean was a challenge!

I thought I would pass all this on so that anyone heading out as a first time DCLer like me would know!! (all of it passed on to DCL also)

Patti

WDW 1990
DL 1999
WDW 2001
DL 2005
WDW Beach Club 2011
planning a cruise on the Fantasy for 2013!
Pfsedita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #117
pxlbarrel
They won't allow any kind of cow though
Geez, I gotta start cleaning your rooms so I can get those treats

I haven't been on any of the newer ships but I'm confused. Weren't Shutters photographers at every character greet?

And I thought there was a photo cd you could buy with the stock photos of the characters.

Our complaint about Shutters on our last trip (Med cruise) was that we kept missing the photographer on our excursions. They were only allowed to send 2 out with the excursions so you had to be one of the lucky excursions that got accompanied by one of 2 photographers. Two years ago, it seemed like all we had to do was look and we'd find one on our excursion but this time ... nope.

And ... you'll be lucky to find a photographer that will do candid shots. Most will only do the standard character shots... Your better bet at candid shots, while meeting a character, is the person you hand your own camera to... Once in a while, you'll get one that realizes the candid shot is the money shot, not the posed one.

The shortest cruise I've done is 5 days and I didn't buy a photo CD then. Just not enough photo ops to be worth it for me.

My next cruise will be on the Dream and it's only 3 days so I think it'll be another case of not buying the CD. It's not for every one and not for every cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfsedita View Post
Just off the Dream last Thursday and Shutters was my only really complaint about the trip. I found the info we got from the Shutters staff and other cast members as well as the navigator info very confusing.

1. Thought there would be photo ops as we went into dinner each night. Sadly no. This was an incorrect assumption on my part from a previous non-dcl cruise.
2. Navigator had info on professional portrait taking but no info on when Shutters would be there for character encounters. Had a long talk with a Shutters person toward the end and they are working to rectify this, with perhaps a coding on the Navigator.
3. On a shorter cruise, no Shutters on night one or night three in the dining rooms. The explanation was not enough time.
4. Fairly limited times there were employees at the Shutters counter itself. Until I went there when it was open, I didn't realize there were a bunch of pictures to check on the wall that the photo recognition did not catch.
5. There were no candid photos taken except ones posed for in the dining rooms on nights 2 and 3 and for a very short time on CC. The ladies in my group did the CC 5K. No Shutters as we got off the boat (as we had to follow the 5K sign) and none for the run. No Shutters getting on the boat so we didn't get a pic with our families. We were all really surprised there was not at least someone at the finish line.
6. THere seemed to be a real lack of photographers. Not sure if this is the norm (as first timers) or just this sailing. We ended up with about 50 pictures on the CD but many of those were just duplicates of poses. Only about 20 distinct pictures. Just enough to make the CD a logical choice over the 10/15 picture packages.
7. No stock photos to buy digitally. None even offered like photopass has for the parks. I was able to buy a few character poses for CC but no on disc. I scrapbook digitally so I will scan them. It seemed weird that there would not have at least been some offered.
8. Because of the limited time for the professional pictures, the atrium at those times was CRAZY!! We kind of figured it out by the third night but keeping 4 kids 10 and under in line and clean was a challenge!

I thought I would pass all this on so that anyone heading out as a first time DCLer like me would know!! (all of it passed on to DCL also)

Patti
1975 WDW Fort Wilderness | 1983 Disneyland | 1992 WDW Offsite | 1996 Disneyland (DL Pacific Hotel)| 1999 Disneyland | 2000 WDW Dixie Landings | 2002 Disneyland | 2003 WDW Offsite | 2004 Disneyland | 2005 WDW Offsite | 2006 Disneyland | 2007 Tokyo Disneyland /Disney Sea / HK Disneyland (Disney's Hollywood Hotel) | 2008 Disneyland | 2008 WDW Offsite | 2009 Disneyland Paris | 2009 Disneyland | 2009 WDW Caribbean Beach Resort - DCL Disney Magic | 2011 Disneyland | 2011 Disney Magic Mediterranean | 2012 Disneyland (VGC) | 2012 ABD -Enchanted China | 2012 HK Disneyland | 2012 DCL Disney Magic NYC/Canada | 2012 WDW Boardwalk | 2013 Disneyland | 2013 Disney Magic Mediterranean Greek | 2013 Disney Dream Bahamas | 2014 Disneyland (VGC)
pxlbarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #118
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Does anyone know if you can still prepay your photos? The sail dates listed only go to oct and they have been like that for quite some time. We sail in nov and I want as much paid for upfront as possible.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #119
dizzyr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyr View Post
Does anyone know if you can still prepay your photos? The sail dates listed only go to oct and they have been like that for quite some time. We sail in nov and I want as much paid for upfront as possible.
Bumping up in case anyone knows the answer
Old 09-15-2013, 12:23 AM   #120
debsters41
DIS Veteran

When I tried clicking through for my cruise (in one year) I reached a form to fill in that assures me would have them notify me when my cruise becomes available for pre purchase. Have you done that? If so, I would just wait.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: