Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 08:12 PM   #76
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketrn View Post

We are in the exact same room for our June 2014 Alaska cruise!
We really liked it. We already had a western booked for next March on the Wonder out of Miami, and I tried to switch to that room. I couldn't, so I got one floor up directly above it. Really nice location.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #77
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

A Morning of Anticipation

I woke up on Wednesday morning excited. It was Tracy Arm day! We had seen beautiful scenery as we sailed through the Inside Passage, but I knew Tracy Arm would top everything we had seen. The captain expected that we would sail into the fjord around 12:30, so we had the morning ahead of us.

Like Tuesday, DH and I both started the day with some exercise. He went to the fitness center and I went to Deck 4. The forecast was for rain, but the morning was sunny, and I prayed it would stay that way!

I think we ate breakfast at Beach Blanket. After breakfast, DH went to the Alaskan Speaker Series in the Walt Disney Theatre. We missed the first presentation because it was during our character breakfast on Tuesday. DH thought it was interesting, but he didn't go back to any more. I don't think we had the same speaker as some of the June cruises because the topics people mentioned from June reports were completely different than ours. If you don't make it to the presentations, they do play them on the stateroom televisions, so you can catch them from the comfort of your room (I saw several of them that way).

At 10:15, I took DD to the Captain's Corner in the Outlook Cafe. This was a question and answer session with the captain, and it was very interesting. We hesitated to go in because the Outlook Cafe is in the adult only section of the ship, and there was a sign at the front of the cafe stating this. However, the Navigator listed the session as "Fun for All Ages", and there were several families wanting to go in with kids. I asked a cast member, and we were told that yes, kids could come into this activity. We learned lots about the captain personally and professionally, as well as learning about the daily operations of the ship, and info about DCL. It was very informative! The space is small, so if you attend, be sure to get there a few minutes early. We actually sat in the floor (which was fine for us, but might be a problem for others).

After this, DD met up with her friends (our former tablemates). When I told them on Tuesday night that we wouldn't be able to dine with them for the rest of the cruise, I gave them our room number. This opened the door to a lot of text messages and phone calls back and forth between wave phones! The girls met up, and then went to find my DS. They all decided to check out the "secret" deck space on 7 aft.

218 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Afterwards, we all went to the BBQ at Beach Blanket. People were already staking out spaces on the deck, but we didn't have to do that because of our balcony. DH and I ate at one table, while DD, DS, and their friends ate at another (the girls' parents had already claimed a spot outside). We went to lunch sometime between 11:30 and 12:00, and before we finished, we were started to see amazing scenery, including some chunks of ice. I thought the water was so beautifully smooth!

221 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

This photo is a taste of things to come! Coming Up...Tracy Arm!
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #78
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

That's cool about the Captain's Corner. I'd like that!

How did you like the BBQ? What did they serve and was it any good?

About what time would you say you got into the fjord area and started to see the icebergs etc.?

We're getting so excited to go - we've been making our FE gifts and piling stuff up - we leave in a little more than 2 weeks!!!

I'm just loving all the info in your TR! Thanks so much!!
Mndisneygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:34 AM   #79
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Glad you were able to switch your dining but still spend time with your tablemates. The family activities sound lots of fun and it something I look forward to doing in the future, not sure hubby would agree though!
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM   #80
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
That's cool about the Captain's Corner. I'd like that!

How did you like the BBQ? What did they serve and was it any good?

About what time would you say you got into the fjord area and started to see the icebergs etc.?

We're getting so excited to go - we've been making our FE gifts and piling stuff up - we leave in a little more than 2 weeks!!!

I'm just loving all the info in your TR! Thanks so much!!
They were grilling steaks and chicken (and maybe another meat) on the deck outside Beach Blanket. They had other food in the main buffet line as well. It was good, but I don't remember anything that was just amazing. When I think of BBQ, I think of pulled pork, so I would have enjoyed that a little more. (We usually call what Disney did "grilling out." To us, having BBQ is beef or pork that is smoked and pulled.) Either way, it was a fun lunch, but I would avoid sitting out by the tent where they are grilling unless you want to smell like you've been BBQ'd!

We entered the fjord around 12:30. It didn't take long to see chunks of ice. I think we got to the glacier around 3. They stayed at the glacier much longer than I expected. The captain will update you over the PA and give expected times so you can plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Glad you were able to switch your dining but still spend time with your tablemates. The family activities sound lots of fun and it something I look forward to doing in the future, not sure hubby would agree though!
My DH isn't crazy about them either, but he's willing to take one for the team. (However, he would NOT have gotten up on stage to sing or dance like I did.)

Last edited by MickeyMomTo2; 07-31-2013 at 10:02 AM.
MickeyMomTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:51 PM   #81
Nicole786
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to see the Tracy Arm photos! This TR makes me want to take a trip to Alaska even more than I did before!

Next Trip: September 25, 2014!
Universal's Royal Pacific Resort & Animal Kingdom Lodge!
Nicole786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #82
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole786 View Post
Can't wait to see the Tracy Arm photos! This TR makes me want to take a trip to Alaska even more than I did before!
It's been a crazy few days, so I haven't had time. About to load them now!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #83
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Tracy Arm, Part One

We finished lunch as we were entering the fjord. Because we had a balcony, my DH and I went back to the room for viewing from there. The kids stayed on Deck 9 with their friends and their friends' parents (our former tablemates) for a while.

This cruise would have been amazing no matter what, but I loved having the balcony on Tracy Arm day! We turned on our television to hear the narration and went out to enjoy the stunning views. It turned out to be a beautiful day. It was sunny and in the 50's. We couldn't have asked for better weather. Here are some pictures of the scene as we saw it from stateroom 6608!

226 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

231 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

232 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

236 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

238 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

239 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

241 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

243 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

246 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

To Be Continued...
Old 08-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #84
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Tracy Arm, Part Two

DH and I enjoyed some peace and quiet for a while, but at some point, our kids and their friends came to our room. They would come outside for about 5 minutes and say, "Cool." Then they would go back in the room to hang out, talk and play games on their devices.

247 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

There were many seals in the waters, especially next to the glacier. This was the first one we spotted!

249 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

This is not a good picture, but if you look closely, you'll see why we wanted a picture. It was our first glimpse of the Sawyer Glacier!

251 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

252 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Check out the boat in this pic. It gives a better perspective of how large the glacier really is...

254 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

255 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

256 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

257 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

264 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

265 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

The kids came out for occasional peeks...

267 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

274 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

270 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

We were able to get much closer to the glacier than I expected. At the show that night, the cruise director said we made it farther than any previous cruise that summer. I don't know if that's true, but we were close, and it was amazing!

To be continued...
Old 08-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #85
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

Beautiful!!!
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #86
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Tracy Arm, Part Three

When we got close to the glacier, the ship stopped there for a while. They made an announcement that they had pulled some ice from the water, and you could come to see it on Decks 9 and 4. At this time, our insane children decided to see the ice and swim. They were wearing bathing suits while parked next to a glacier. CRAZY!

Even though my kids are excellent swimmers, I don't like them to be in the pool without us nearby, so this also gave DH and I the motivation to go up to decks 9 and 10 for a different view (their friends' parents were poolside as well, so both sets of adults had the opportunity to walk around a bit).

283 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

288 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

291 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

Seals!

295 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

304 by baseballsandbows, on Flickr

We stayed up on the top decks until about 4:30 or so. I also walked around deck 4 for a little while by myself. It was truly a beautiful day, and the pictures don't do the scenery justice. I could've stayed out longer, but I knew Mickey and Minnie were going to be in the lobby in their Alaskan outfits before dinner, and DD and I didn't want to miss that.

Overall, Tracy Arm day was one of my two favorite days from the cruise. Truly breathtaking!

Coming Up...An Entertaining Evening
Old 08-02-2013, 03:31 PM   #87
closetdisneynerd
Earning My Ears

Wonder/Dream vs. Alaska/Bahamas

Hi, Lauren--thanks for your TR. I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences. I have 2 girls that are similar ages to your kiddos, and we've just returned from a Dream cruise, which we loved. We have a dummy date booked for an Eastern cruise, but hubby would really like to do Alaska. I'm concerned about my kids not enjoying the trip OR the ship as much as they did the Dream. Would you mind commenting on that? Will they feel like the Wonder is not as nice? And did your oldest go to the Edge any? Was it like the Dream?

TIA,
Anne, A Southern Sister
2010 French Quarter
2013 Harry Potter, Dream Cruise, Coronado
2015 Wonder to Alaska!
closetdisneynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #88
tanyabanana
Mouseketeer

Thanks for this trip report! Tracey Arm looks beautiful! I am thinking about booking for next year so am eagerly reading and have subscribed

tanyabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #89
basketrn
Please stand clear of the doors...Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas

I am glad to see I will have great views from our balcony when we go!! Also glad to know we will be able to hear the narration on the tv.
1986 - Off site, 6/2003 - CSR, 6/2005 - FW, 4/2006 - CBR, 8/2006 - SSR, 10/2006 - BWV, 4/2007 -SSR, 10/2007 - VWL, 4/2008 - SSR, 5/2009 - DCL & SSR, 10/2009 - SSR, 6/2010 - AKV, 12/2010 - SSR, 3/2011 - AKV/BCV & Dream, 12/2011 - DL, 6/2012 - BCV/Dream/AKV, 1/2013 - SSR, 9/2013 - OKW, 6/2014 - Wonder to Alaska, 10/2014 - AKV

basketrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #90
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetdisneynerd View Post
Hi, Lauren--thanks for your TR. I've really enjoyed reading about your experiences. I have 2 girls that are similar ages to your kiddos, and we've just returned from a Dream cruise, which we loved. We have a dummy date booked for an Eastern cruise, but hubby would really like to do Alaska. I'm concerned about my kids not enjoying the trip OR the ship as much as they did the Dream. Would you mind commenting on that? Will they feel like the Wonder is not as nice? And did your oldest go to the Edge any? Was it like the Dream?

TIA,
Anne, A Southern Sister
There were a few things my kids liked about the Dream better, including the Midship Detective Agency and the Aquaduck. However, they had a wonderful time on the Wonder, too! Our next cruise will be on the Wonder (a 5-night Western out of Miami), and neither kid has said, "Oh, no. Not the Wonder!" Of course, the Alaskan itinerary on the Wonder was SO much better than the Bahamas, so that was part of the enjoyment (we didn't get to dock at Castaway Cay because of high winds, so our only port was Nassau). I thought the kids' clubs on the Wonder, including Edge, were just as enjoyable to my kids as on the Dream. They both have very similar programming. The only thing I didn't like was that the Club and Lab weren't connected from the inside, but that was a very minor detail. I haven't done an Eastern, but I can definitely say that I think you would enjoy Alaska. I don't think you should hesitate about the Wonder at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyabanana View Post
Thanks for this trip report! Tracey Arm looks beautiful! I am thinking about booking for next year so am eagerly reading and have subscribed
Thanks for reading! It is a wonderful cruise, and I highly recommend it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketrn View Post
I am glad to see I will have great views from our balcony when we go!! Also glad to know we will be able to hear the narration on the tv.
HA! You don't even need to go. You've already seen your exact view!

Last edited by MickeyMomTo2; 08-02-2013 at 11:36 PM.
MickeyMomTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: