Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #121
wdwtheplacetobe
A Dream is a Wish your Heart Makes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
Hi all, can any travelers weigh in on luggage strategies? My wife and I are booked for the mid-September Italy trip and I am trying to figure out the best approach. I had been thinking that we would each pack super efficiently into separate 20" carryons and travel very light. But obviously that means finding a way to either ship souvenirs back or bringing an extra soft bag that can be used and checked on the return leg.

Are we better off bringing one large bag and checking it, and then two smaller carryons (backpack sized for example)? How have past travelers balanced the desire to be lean and efficient versus the desire for more space and more stuff?

Thanks for any help!

Rich
We did one large suitcase each (<40LBS---so you have 10 lb leeway for little stuff). And each had a small carry-on. In Orvieto, the Ceramics are fabulous...Giacomini is the place to go! Ask your guides...they will know. "Mama" has artists that design and hand-paint and they are gorgeous. The shipping is absolutely fantastic. In Murano, we had a glass Duck shipped from Marco Polo. Their shipping was also perfect. No need to worry.

You are going to have a Magical Trip! ABD does it very well!

Married 10/10/07 at 10:10am in Disney's Wedding Pavilion!

wdwtheplacetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #122
mapsd
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
Hi all, can any travelers weigh in on luggage strategies? My wife and I are booked for the mid-September Italy trip and I am trying to figure out the best approach. I had been thinking that we would each pack super efficiently into separate 20" carryons and travel very light. But obviously that means finding a way to either ship souvenirs back or bringing an extra soft bag that can be used and checked on the return leg.

Are we better off bringing one large bag and checking it, and then two smaller carryons (backpack sized for example)? How have past travelers balanced the desire to be lean and efficient versus the desire for more space and more stuff?

Thanks for any help!

Rich
For ABD, the normal rules don't apply for luggage.
Once you're in Italy, you'll barely touch your bags, you set them outside your room and they magically appear at the next location, so take advantage of it & take more/larger bags than if you were lugging them yourself!

We each checked a bag (slightly smaller than max allowed so that we wouldn't have to worry about being over the weight/size limit) & we each took a carry-on, packed loosely.

One bag was filled entirely with snacks for the kids & other consumable stuff. This bag became storage for our souvenirs/purchases. Remember that the masks you make in Venice will take a little room in your bags as well.

In general, European hotels don't provide washcloths, so you may want to take your own.
mapsd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #123
Alacrity
DIS Veteran

As I recall ABD urges one bag (each) and weight limits, for us, were #50. You might double check the weight limits on your airline(s) to make sure. The can charge you far too much for being a couple pounds over weight.

As for wash cloths, we used some similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/2pack-Trekr-Se.../dp/B004KSL96C

They work and make some good suds. They are a little rough but dry super quick.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #124
SingingMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapsd View Post

In general, European hotels don't provide washcloths, so you may want to take your own.
I had heard this also, so last year, I bought 10 washcloths, figuring we could leave them if they were too wet to pack as we went along. EVERY hotel on the London/Paris tour had washcloths . Lol

DD teased me about it the whole trip! We ended up giving them to our guide! Lol

08/76 Fort Wilderness, 09/85 off site, 03/87 off site, 10/91 POFQ, 9/96 Dixie Landings, 07/14-21/01 Disney Magic Cruise! 6/22-7/01/06 Dolphin, 6/22-30/07 Dolphin 6/24-7/02/08 Dolphin, 6/23-7/01/2009 Dolphin, FIVE-PEAT 6/2010 Dolphin! 5/14-21/12 ABD City of Knights & Lights, 1/8-16/13 Dolphin, 7/14-7/22/13 Once Upon a Fairytale, 1/2014 Dolphin, 7/2014 POFQ, 8/2014 Disney Aulani
SingingMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #125
carpenta
DIS Veteran

I believe the reason for the bag size is for the bus. They can only stuff so many bags in the undercarriage of the bus and with a full group it maybe tight. Plus the more bags the longer to get those bags. Generally hotel rooms in Europe are not "American" sized with all this extra space.and in Europe some hotels are located away from the street and tough to get bags into the hotel.
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #126
wdwtheplacetobe

No washcloths in some of the Italy hotels.....also be aware....no toilet seats in Rome!

Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #127
lovetotravel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwtheplacetobe View Post
No washcloths in some of the Italy hotels.....also be aware....no toilet seats in Rome!
We had wash cloths in all our hotels in Viva Italia, but toilet seats are rare in all of Italy...lol!!!
lovetotravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #128
CrazyZeus1
Matching Shirts Rock!

Booking Today!!

We just returned two days ago from the Bella Italia trip, our first ever ABD, and we are HOOKED! Best vacation we have had in our entire lives!

We decided we loved Italy so much that we're booking the July 10, 2014 Viva Italia trip today Would love to meet anyone else who is going on this trip...

Hubby is Jeff, I am Heather, & our son Reese will be 11 at travel time!

HEATHER
CrazyZeus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:39 PM   #129
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyZeus1 View Post
We just returned two days ago from the Bella Italia trip, our first ever ABD, and we are HOOKED! Best vacation we have had in our entire lives!

We decided we loved Italy so much that we're booking the July 10, 2014 Viva Italia trip today Would love to meet anyone else who is going on this trip...

Hubby is Jeff, I am Heather, & our son Reese will be 11 at travel time!
ABD's are so addictive!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #130
kanadar
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the welcome! My sister just booked our ABD a few days ago for June 19th! We are sooo excited!

Also, wdwtheplacetobe, I noticed your location says "Normal", I was curious if that was Normal, IL?
kanadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM   #131
wdwtheplacetobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadar View Post
Thanks for the welcome! My sister just booked our ABD a few days ago for June 19th! We are sooo excited!

Also, wdwtheplacetobe, I noticed your location says "Normal", I was curious if that was Normal, IL?
Alacrity and I are in Normal, IL! IASW! You will LOVE your ABD Italy tour!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #132
kanadar
Mouseketeer

What a small world! Yeah I'm super excited! We haven't quite started the planning yet, but I think we are going to do a few days before and/or after. Sayhello, it will be me, my sister and my dad. My sister is on disboards too but I can't remember her name on here and apparently she hasn't posted on here yet haha
kanadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #133
beachcat
Mouseketeer

Viva Italia Guides

Did anyone here over the last two years have a guide named Licia?
beachcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #134
pihanettie
Mouseketeer

LTR, FTW (Long time reader, first time writer)
Just wanted to say we are signed up for June 8th, myself and DD (age 10) and DS (age 9)
Thanks.
pihanettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #135
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihanettie View Post
LTR, FTW (Long time reader, first time writer)
Just wanted to say we are signed up for June 8th, myself and DD (age 10) and DS (age 9)
Thanks.
Welcome to posting on the DISBoards, and the ABD Forum! I've added you to the roll call in the first post!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: