Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Scrappy_Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorful Colorado!
Posts: 4,730

Bring Food on board during Port stops?

I know you can't bring food onto the ship when you get on at Cape Canaveral (except pre-packaged commercial), but if you, say, buy a bunch of French pastries at St. Maarten, are you allowed to bring them onboard with you?

Thanks!
__________________

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 18,093

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
I know you can't bring food onto the ship when you get on at Cape Canaveral (except pre-packaged commercial), but if you, say, buy a bunch of French pastries at St. Maarten, are you allowed to bring them onboard with you?

Thanks!
The DCL website info doesn't specify where the food restriction is applied. It just says:

Q:
What food or food storage containers are not permitted?
A:
Food coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention.

Disney Cruise Line regrets that the crew members on board are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items. Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, and so for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.


https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/p...age-containers

I take it to mean it cannot be brought onboard at any point.
__________________


13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Scrappy_Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorful Colorado!
Posts: 4,730

Yeah, I knew about that, but wasn't sure if it applied to the other countries....like Cuban cigars are "illegal", but several people buy them in Nassau and bring them onboard, but smoke them before they return to Cape Canaveral.
__________________

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Gigi22
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,551

I know that certain foods purchased in ports can be brought aboard, for example, you can bring pre-packaged rum cakes aboard. I've also had no problem bringing a box of chocolates with me. I would not try to bring fresh fruit/veg., plants, flowers, or meats. Not sure about the French pastries--if I were visiting a Caribbean port, I would be too worried about spoilage issues with custards, & etc. to try to bring pastries with me.
__________________
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend; inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Scrappy_Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorful Colorado!
Posts: 4,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi22 View Post
I know that certain foods purchased in ports can be brought aboard, for example, you can bring pre-packaged rum cakes aboard. I've also had no problem bringing a box of chocolates with me. I would not try to bring fresh fruit/veg., plants, flowers, or meats. Not sure about the French pastries--if I were visiting a Caribbean port, I would be too worried about spoilage issues with custards, & etc. to try to bring pastries with me.
Thanks! There's a famous pastry shop in Marigot, St. Maarten, that is supposed to have out-of-this world bread and pastries. Maybe they can box and seal them.
__________________

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
kiford
Mouseketeer
 
kiford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Southwest Ontario, Canada
Posts: 490

Food items brought on board need to be commercially packaged and sealed. Sealing a box in a shop is not considered commercially sealed which is something that would be done in an industrial setting in a sterile contaminant-free environment.

If you are really keen on the pastries, I'd eat them there unless you're prepared to have to give them up at port.

BTW, I don't believe that it is illegal to purchase and smoke Cuban cigars if you are from the US, it is illegal to import them. So Disney doesn't care if you bring those on board - it's the attempt to import them to the USA that is illegal and that is a US customs issue, not Disney. Bringing unpackaged fresh food on board is more of a contamination issue but some may also have customs issues if they find their way to US shores.
__________________


WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (50) Him (53)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Aby
Obsessive and Compulsive
 
Aby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Prince George, BC, Canada
Posts: 204

Anyone have any thoughts/comments on this for the Alaska cruises?

I know you can't bring food off the ship into the Alaska ports (except commercially packaged stuff), and that I couldn't bring stuff onto the ship when boarding from Canada, but I never even thought that we might not be allowed to bring food back from Alaska ports onto the ship!

We went to Alaska through DCL in 2011, and we brought back some yummy hand crafted chocolates/cookies from Ketchicandies in Ketchikan...the chocolate covered oreos (seriously to die for!) were in boxes, but they weren't what I would call "sealed" boxes - and no-one said anything when we brought them on board.

Does this kind of thing count as "commercially prepared food" or do they just not care because it isn't fruit/meat/veggies and it's from the USA? Or, were we just lucky? I'd hate to find out I can't get some in a few weeks when we go back!

Aby
Aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aby View Post
Anyone have any thoughts/comments on this for the Alaska cruises?

I know you can't bring food off the ship into the Alaska ports (except commercially packaged stuff), and that I couldn't bring stuff onto the ship when boarding from Canada, but I never even thought that we might not be allowed to bring food back from Alaska ports onto the ship!

We went to Alaska through DCL in 2011, and we brought back some yummy hand crafted chocolates/cookies from Ketchicandies in Ketchikan...the chocolate covered oreos (seriously to die for!) were in boxes, but they weren't what I would call "sealed" boxes - and no-one said anything when we brought them on board.

Does this kind of thing count as "commercially prepared food" or do they just not care because it isn't fruit/meat/veggies and it's from the USA? Or, were we just lucky? I'd hate to find out I can't get some in a few weeks when we go back!

Aby
It doesn't matter that it's the USA, as you can't bring opened or homemade food on in port Canaveral or Miami or San Francisco either. It's either allowed or not allowed.

It is commercially prepared food since it came from a commercial kitchen. You just need to check with DCL.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
acourtwdw2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 785

We buy chocolate in St Martin Every time we go there. They deliver it to the port and we bring it home with us. It's some of the best chocolate I've ever eaten.
__________________
Amanda
acourtwdw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #10
Jrex21
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 52

Of, I've never heard of the French Pastry shop... do tell!! Chocolate? What kind of chocolate! I have no problems about scarfing things down before getting back on the ship!! Just tell me where!
Jrex21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #11
acourtwdw2
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrex21 View Post
Of, I've never heard of the French Pastry shop... do tell!! Chocolate? What kind of chocolate! I have no problems about scarfing things down before getting back on the ship!! Just tell me where!
The belgain chocolate box by beatrix
http://www.thebelgianchocolatebox.com/home.htm

Makes my mouth water just thinking about them.
__________________
Amanda
acourtwdw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
MND
DIS Veteran
 
MND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,178

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiford View Post

BTW, I don't believe that it is illegal to purchase and smoke Cuban cigars if you are from the US, it is illegal to import them. So Disney doesn't care if you bring those on board - it's the attempt to import them to the USA that is illegal and that is a US customs issue, not Disney. Bringing unpackaged fresh food on board is more of a contamination issue but some may also have customs issues if they find their way to US shores.
You just brought up Cuba to rub it in to us Yankees, right? Thanks!

I have to go, I'm have to refresh my Havana Club and Coke cocktail!
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #13
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise
 
disney1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Maryland
Posts: 10,135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
Thanks! There's a famous pastry shop in Marigot, St. Maarten, that is supposed to have out-of-this world bread and pastries. Maybe they can box and seal them.
Yes, the most awesome pastries. Picking just one, is so hard!!! But, you can't bring them back to the ship.

https://www.google.com/search?q=st.+...w=1366&bih=628
__________________
Life is a Journey – remember to appreciate everyday -- be happy for this moment...this moment is your life



disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
sharksfinatic17
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 134

Sarafina's is awesome. So hard to decide what to pick (I picked the raspberry tart). We finished all of our pastries before boarding the ship, so I am not sure.
sharksfinatic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:53 PM   #15
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran
 
Scrappy_Tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Colorful Colorado!
Posts: 4,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrex21 View Post
Of, I've never heard of the French Pastry shop... do tell!! Chocolate? What kind of chocolate! I have no problems about scarfing things down before getting back on the ship!! Just tell me where!
Below is the one I've heard rave reviews from on St. Maarten! It's in Marigot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfinatic17 View Post
Sarafina's is awesome. So hard to decide what to pick (I picked the raspberry tart). We finished all of our pastries before boarding the ship, so I am not sure.
__________________

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.