Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #31
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

Well, since you asked ... If it was me I would cancel and then rebook if/when the pricing came down and/or the money came in. I personally would not be able to enjoy myself if I was worrying about how I was going to pay for tips and excursions. I also couldn't enjoy a cruise knowing I jad borrowed against my life insurance policy to pay for it. I freely admit that my family spends a larger % of our income on vacations and travel than most would but to me a vacation that can't be paid for is a vacation that isn't happeneing.

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder
jjje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #32
Jenna45
DIS Veteran

Did you try contacting Disney? I know I Have read in the past when this situation has happened to other folks on the park boards and Disney has been able to extend their dates. Personally, it has not happened to me so I can't be sure, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try.

Jenna45 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #33
Donna3271
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
ONLY ON THE DIS would someone recommend dipping into retirement accounts or selling off investments to pay for a cruise or Disney trip. That is ridiculous.

If you don't have the money to go, then cancel. Very simple.
Hi, If you are referring to Mike's comments, I believe that was tongue-in-cheek.
Donna3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #34
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
Some update:

1. Putting on a credit card is not a viable option. We don't have a lot of credit card debt, or available room on the card. We don't want to add to that.

2. I have learned the ship has about 230 rooms available right now. making it about 75% full.

So, when the PIF date hits, that number could go up some. GTY rates could become available..or it could sell out quick.

I am leaning to canceling and hoping to rebook. I don't want to dissapoint our 2 daughters and our friends.
I agree, with the way you are leaning, you should cancel & hope to rebook at a later date. Your funds sound really tight, as another PP noted, wait until your financial situation has stabilized. While it maybe disappointing to your daughters & friends in the short run you really need to be thinking long term. Just my 2 cents worth, Good Luck.
darkwing818 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #35
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenna45 View Post
Did you try contacting Disney? I know I Have read in the past when this situation has happened to other folks on the park boards and Disney has been able to extend their dates. Personally, it has not happened to me so I can't be sure, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try.
This is a good idea. I never thought of it but like they said, it doesn't hurt to ask! Who knows, maybe they'll extend it to the date you need.
quickcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #36
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

This is why we always save up the total cost of the vacation plus extra before booking. So if I were in your shoes, I would cancel and rebook when you know you have the money. No way would I put it on a credit card, borrow against something that will cost a small fortune to pay back, etc. in the hopes that the money will appear on time. JMHO
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:04 PM   #37
over50visits
DIS Veteran

It hurts to say this, because I know what this cruise could mean to family and friends, but I can't advise borrowing money for a cruise (that includes credit cards that aren't paid in full each month). However, such blanket advice isn't really fair, since i don't know your situation and your expectation of near term income. Just a thought......
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #38
NWmom
DIS Veteran

I would cancel and rebook once I had cash in hand.

Learned the hard way once about counting on getting extra hours when something unexpected happened and all OT was cancelled. Won't ever make that mistake again.

I think all the advice to pay before you go is great advice. I love DCL, yet never forget it is a luxury item and other things just have to come first in our priorities.

Most of the health benefit of the vacation comes from the looking forward to it and not having regrets after. That includes the money part.

Even if you end up rescheduling, when you do go-- you will enjoy it more if you are not worrying about the money part.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 PM   #39
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

I too would advise cancelling. My husband was facing a strike last winter and when our PIF date came it was still up in the air. We decided to cancel and even though he did not strike in the end we are still happy we made the decision we did. It would have been far more stressful to have hoped for the best! We pushed it out and are now looking forward to it this coming June.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:37 PM   #40
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna3271 View Post
Hi, If you are referring to Mike's comments, I believe that was tongue-in-cheek.
Actually, I'm totally serious with my suggestions.

Granted, I was thinking outside of the box when I suggested plasma sales, or medical research. However, dipping into your retirement is not a bad idea as long as you "pay back" your retirement savings. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have much in the way of non-retirement savings/investments to tap into, otherwise he/she wouldn't be in this pickle.

I did like the idea of leaving the children at home, but run the numbers first to see if you could afford to take one child. If so, you could perhaps come up with a contest to see which one gets to go.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:52 PM   #41
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
However, dipping into your retirement is not a bad idea as long as you "pay back" your retirement savings. I'm assuming the OP doesn't have much in the way of non-retirement savings/investments to tap into, otherwise he/she wouldn't be in this pickle.
There are usually some pretty serious tax implications and penalties for doing so. I'm no CPA, but I'm almost certain that this is a really really bad idea.

And there is no pickle if she takes away the pickle -- ie, cancel the vacation. Disappointment, yes. Dire financial straits? No. Problem solved.

And guess what, I've been on an end of Oct cruise. Not packed at all. Schools are in session, still hurricane season, not on any kind of holiday weekend. My guess is she might even see a VGT rate after PIF.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #42
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
There are usually some pretty serious tax implications and penalties for doing so. I'm no CPA, but I'm almost certain that this is a really really bad idea.

And there is no pickle if she takes away the pickle -- ie, cancel the vacation. Disappointment, yes. Dire financial straits? No. Problem solved.

And guess what, I've been on an end of Oct cruise. Not packed at all. Schools are in session, still hurricane season, not on any kind of holiday weekend. My guess is she might even see a VGT rate after PIF.
Borrowing from a 401k and paying yourself back is only done if you have an account through your employer. If OP is talking about commissions, I don't think he's an employee. He could cash out some retirement funds, but would be taxed and penalized. NOT a good idea.

OP added some info in a later post that his Disney Chase card already has some medical charges that he needs to pay off. Emergencies happen and it's great to have a credit card to get you through the crisis, but don't add more debt until it is paid off.

I usually don't comment on other people's spending or financing questions, but this thread is really bothering me. I don't care if people spend $500 for a cabana or $275 on a tea party IF they have it. "Have it" to me means all other obligations for the year have been paid (or accounted for)- college savings, retirement IRAs or 401k, mortgage, credit cards. You get to spend what is left over at Disney, not what's needed for everyday expenses. Lots of ways to fund a vacation including working more or having a garage sale, but charging it isn't a method I'd use.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #43
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
Borrowing from a 401k and paying yourself back is only done if you have an account through your employer. If OP is talking about commissions, I don't think he's an employee. He could cash out some retirement funds, but would be taxed and penalized. NOT a good idea.
Good to know, and well there you go. Bad financial idea.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #44
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
Good to know, and well there you go. Bad financial idea.
I don't know what kind of car OP drives, but how about trading it in for a less expensive one. For example, if your car is worth $15,000 swap it out for a $10,000 one. You pocket $5,000 and your insurance may drop as well.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #45
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

I know this may sound harsh but since you asked....cancel the cruise and pay the card off. The crow you eat when you tell the two other families isn't going to taste very good but YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO GO, period.

On the other hand, pull from your retirement accounts and see what the IRS does to you next year. Maybe you can send the IRS a note and explain that your peers pressured you into going and see how that flies.

Personally, a few years back our family left for a Disney cruise at Thanksgiving and we didn't have the money, so we stayed home. Once had to cancel a booked cruise because of work related issue too.

It happens.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: