Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #1
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran
 
fairytalelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rocklin California
Posts: 1,114

What does trip insurance cover and how much is it?

We have never bought trip insurance but we will be going on our next cruise in October which is still in hurricane season so we wanted to know what trip insurance covers and how much it costs? Is it worth it? Do most people buy it?
__________________



ME DH DS
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Port Orleans, French Quarter 10/2014; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012; Disney Fantasy 10/2014
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
RedSox68
DIS Veteran
 
RedSox68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,348

We never travel without it and for good reason.

I always use the site www.*****************. You can compare up to 5 policies at a time and pick what works best for you. You can also just buy policies for luggage, air, etc. I always get one that includes trip cancellation, air evac, medical for pre-existing, lost/damaged luggage and trip delays. And now many offer trip cancellation for work reasons, such as layoff, work won't let me go, etc. -- which nowadays is a pretty good idea.

Keep in mind that the best rates are if you book within 10 days of putting your deposit on the trip. Also, that is the window allowed for buying for anyone with pre-existing conditions.
__________________

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
May 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
We have never bought trip insurance but we will be going on our next cruise in October which is still in hurricane season so we wanted to know what trip insurance covers and how much it costs? Is it worth it? Do most people buy it?
Insurance can cover whatever expenses you wish. Trip Cancellation(for health, for work, for any reason, etc)/Trip Delay/Lost Luggage/Health Care/Medical Evacuation are several of the options.

The cost depends what you want to cover and how much (money-wise) you want to cover.

We also use www.*****************as a comparison site for selecting our coverage.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran
 
fairytalelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rocklin California
Posts: 1,114

does it cover for weather i.e hurricanes? And how much does it cost? What is covered if there is a hurricane?
__________________



ME DH DS
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Port Orleans, French Quarter 10/2014; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012; Disney Fantasy 10/2014
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
does it cover for weather i.e hurricanes? And how much does it cost? What is covered if there is a hurricane?
All policies are different. Both in what they cover and how much it costs.

You'll have to use someplace like www.***************** or http://www.squaremouth.com/ (among others) to do comparisons.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran
 
fairytalelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rocklin California
Posts: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
All policies are different. Both in what they cover and how much it costs.

You'll have to use someplace like www.***************** or http://www.squaremouth.com/ (among others) to do comparisons.

I would really love to just get feedback here on the boards from those who have bought insurance as to how much they paid for the ones they chose and the details of their policy. At this point, I really don't want to go do research and compare insurance sites.
__________________



ME DH DS
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Port Orleans, French Quarter 10/2014; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012; Disney Fantasy 10/2014
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Jennifer in MI
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Grosse Pointe Park, MI
Posts: 933

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairytalelover View Post
I would really love to just get feedback here on the boards from those who have bought insurance as to how much they paid for the ones they chose and the details of their policy. At this point, I really don't want to go do research and compare insurance sites.
I can tell you what we bought and what it covered. But, you will have to decide what you want to cover and find a policy for that. Insuremytrip is EASY and they have agents to answer questions on line for you right away.

We bought a policy to cover a $12,000 trip in 2010. We paid $180 for the poliicy. At the time, the biggest thing I wanted covered was emergency evacuation. I figured that my health insurance would cover the rest. And, of course, i wanted to be reimbursed if we had to cancel due to health of one of my family members.

We ended up having to leave the Disney cruise on day 4 of 7 when my son needed his appendix removed. The insurance company covered ALL of his medical costs (including his food and food for my husband at the hospital). They covered the rest of our family to stay in Mexico in a resort near the hospital. It covered my taxi costs back and forth between the resort and the hospital. They made the arrangements for us to get back to the US. They covered our visa fees, flights, taxi ride back to our house, and all the doctor bills from the cruise doctors. They also reimbursed us for 3/7 of the cost of the cruise plus a few other small things. Overall, they paid out over $48,000.

Things they did NOT cover - food for the rest of us while staying in Mexico while ds recovered. And, our phone bills back and forth from my husband to me. I tried to argue that they were to arrange transportation, but they didn't have it.

When we were with the doctors, the Disney staff was wonderful and they told us that very few insurance policies will cover the entire family to get off the ship. Usually they will cover the sick child and one parent. Can you imagine leaving your child in a foreign country while you continue on vacation? Anyway, we were lucky as ours did cover us (up to a certain dollar amount - I think it was 1.5x the cost of our trip - so they would have covered $18,000 for everything but the medical portion - that was separate).

I would write down the things you think you might need. Ask the questions of the agent and pick the right policy. It really should only take you about 20 minutes or so.
__________________
Jennifer, Disney-lovin' homeschooling mama to
DS (18), DS (16), DS (13), and finally!! a princess DD (8)


Jennifer in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran
 
fairytalelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rocklin California
Posts: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer in MI View Post
I can tell you what we bought and what it covered. But, you will have to decide what you want to cover and find a policy for that. Insuremytrip is EASY and they have agents to answer questions on line for you right away.

We bought a policy to cover a $12,000 trip in 2010. We paid $180 for the poliicy. At the time, the biggest thing I wanted covered was emergency evacuation. I figured that my health insurance would cover the rest. And, of course, i wanted to be reimbursed if we had to cancel due to health of one of my family members.

We ended up having to leave the Disney cruise on day 4 of 7 when my son needed his appendix removed. The insurance company covered ALL of his medical costs (including his food and food for my husband at the hospital). They covered the rest of our family to stay in Mexico in a resort near the hospital. It covered my taxi costs back and forth between the resort and the hospital. They made the arrangements for us to get back to the US. They covered our visa fees, flights, taxi ride back to our house, and all the doctor bills from the cruise doctors. They also reimbursed us for 3/7 of the cost of the cruise plus a few other small things. Overall, they paid out over $48,000.

Things they did NOT cover - food for the rest of us while staying in Mexico while ds recovered. And, our phone bills back and forth from my husband to me. I tried to argue that they were to arrange transportation, but they didn't have it.

When we were with the doctors, the Disney staff was wonderful and they told us that very few insurance policies will cover the entire family to get off the ship. Usually they will cover the sick child and one parent. Can you imagine leaving your child in a foreign country while you continue on vacation? Anyway, we were lucky as ours did cover us (up to a certain dollar amount - I think it was 1.5x the cost of our trip - so they would have covered $18,000 for everything but the medical portion - that was separate).

I would write down the things you think you might need. Ask the questions of the agent and pick the right policy. It really should only take you about 20 minutes or so.
Wow. That's awesome that they took care of all of that for you. You can never tell when something unexpected will happen like what happened to your child. Thanks for the details.
__________________



ME DH DS
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Port Orleans, French Quarter 10/2014; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012; Disney Fantasy 10/2014
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.
 
Ravenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,232

What are the reasons for choosing a 3rd party insurer over the insurance offered by Disney?
__________________
"Have a magical day!"
~R
5/24/2014 - Land & Sea: AOA, Dream, POR trip report
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
What are the reasons for choosing a 3rd party insurer over the insurance offered by Disney?
It's usually cheaper, covers more and takes effect as soon as you buy it.

One note here, many health plans (here in the US) do not cover you out of country. And you are considered "out of country" once you board the ship. Medical expenses/evacuation can be very expensive if you need it, so it's a good idea to make sure your medical is covered for trips.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
disny_luvr
DIS Veteran
 
disny_luvr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 4.7 miles from the Hersheypark Kissing Tower
Posts: 1,527

We also went through www.*****************. I called the 1-800 number on the site and the representative I spoke with was very helpful. I told her everything I wanted covered and she found a plan that worked for us. I paid $153 for me, DH and two sons. That is covering about $7,000. We went with this insurance over Disney because it was cheaper and covered more. If you don't want to spend the time doing the research on different insurance policies, write down want you want covered and call Insure My Trip. They can help find a policy that is right for you with little to no effort on your part.
__________________
, DH ~ , Me ~ , DS (8) ~ , DS (8)

Upcoming Trips:
Polynesian ~ August 1-August 4, 2014 (Just me and DH )
Disney Fantasy: 7-night Western ~ November 28-December 5, 2015
Past Trips:
* Disney Fantasy: 7-night Eastern Cruise ~ November/December, 2013 * Disney Magic: 2-night Cruise ~ August, 2012 * Beach Club Villas ~ June, 2012 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November/December, 2010 * POP/CBR ~ May, 2009 * Wilderness Lodge ~ November, 2004 * Dixie Landings ~ April, 1996 * CBR ~ June, 1991 * Fort Wilderness ~ June, 1984 *
disny_luvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #12
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.
 
Ravenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,232

What if you haven't purchased airfare yet? Can you still get coverage that will cover that?

Does the cost of the insurance go up the closer to your travel date?
__________________
"Have a magical day!"
~R
5/24/2014 - Land & Sea: AOA, Dream, POR trip report
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:39 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran
 
PrincessShmoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 16,325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
What if you haven't purchased airfare yet? Can you still get coverage that will cover that?

Does the cost of the insurance go up the closer to your travel date?
You can buy insurance based on estimated airfare. Or just buy what you want now, and add the airfare insurance later. We had insurance on our WBTA cruise (airfare was part of the DCL cost), later we added the Med cruise making it a B2B. We just called up insuremytrip and added the other cruise to our original plan.

Don't know the answer to the last question.
__________________

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel
 
sayhello's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,138
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
What if you haven't purchased airfare yet? Can you still get coverage that will cover that?

Does the cost of the insurance go up the closer to your travel date?
As far as I know, "closeness to the travel date" does not affect the cost of the insurance.

What it dose affect is the fact that:
a) if you wait longer than 14 - 21 days after putting down your first deposit, you will not get pre-existing conditions waived. Pre-existing conditions include any condition for which you have or reasonably should have gotten treatment within a "look back period" prior to purchasing the insurance. It varies from policy to policy, but it might be something like "60 days prior to buying the insurance". It also includes chronic conditions for which the treatment or your condition has changed during that lookback period. This applies to whoever it is that would cause you to cancel or cut short your trip (for example, if you had to leave because grandma became critically ill, it would be her pre-existing condition that would be waived or not).
b) if you wait too long, and they are predicting a hurricane to hit 2 weeks from now during your cruise, your insurance won't cover you, because the weather event is already "known" at the time you purchased the policy.
c) you have to be "able to travel" to buy trip insurance. So if you wait, and then you become ill and can't travel at the point that you want to buy the insurance (even if you think you'll be better by the time the cruise comes around) you won't be covered.

I agree with those who say call the toll-free number for www.*****************. They will compare all the options for you based on what you tell them you want, and your situation, cost of vacation, etc, and help you purchase exactly what you want. They are extremely helpful! Couldn't be easier. What others paid is sort of irrelevant, as there are so many variables involved: Number of people, ages of people, cost of trip, where the trip goes, where you live, what's covered, etc.

Sayhello
__________________
Check out my Southwest Splendors Trip Report! (2008). 5 parts, full of pics & details & impressions!
My Taming the Last Frontier ABD Alaska Trip Report! (2009)! 7 parts, pictures, stories, & more impressions!
Also check out my ABD/DCL Mediterranean Magic Trip Report! (2010)
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
Ravenne
A queen is never late. Everyone else is simply early.
 
Ravenne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,232

Awesome info, thank you guys! As usual, you guys rock!
__________________
"Have a magical day!"
~R
5/24/2014 - Land & Sea: AOA, Dream, POR trip report
Ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.