Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
d3boyz
Mouseketeer

Refrigerators (All Ears - 16 JUL 2013 edition)

in some Walt Disney World and Disneyland Resort hotel rooms, as well as some at Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa in Hawaii, have been removed or temporarily disconnected due to a possible defect. Note that Disney Vacation Club rooms, Family Suites at Disney's Art of Animation and All-Star Music Resort, suites at the Disneyland Hotel, and the cabins at Disney's Fort Wilderness Campground are not affected. Replacement of the refrigerators is expected to take at least four months. You can still request a fridge for medical reasons, but it will not be guaranteed. There will be only a limited number of refrigerators available at each resort hotel.
d3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #17
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I really think it's terrible that they aren't comping people in some way for not having a fridge in the room...even just a Disney Gift Card for $100...a discount off your room...something. People booked rooms with fridges. When you don't deliver on what is essentially a contract, you need to compensate people somehow. Very poor on Disney's part IMO.
Before complaining about them doing nothing and claiming they have poor service, you might ask if they are going to do anything instead. Disney IS going to give compensation to those who request a fridge but do not get one. According to what was posted on the Disney Travel Agent site, they will be giving a $15/night credit if they cannot provide a working unit. I think this is very generous considering values did not even come with fridges until Spring of last year, and prior to that they cost only $10/night if you wanted to rent one. As for it being a contract, amenities are never a guarantee in any resort, not just Disney. I've stayed at places with the pool being closed without notice before and never once did I think to ask for compensation. Things happen. The affected units were recalled due to a fire hazard. One caught on fire at GC at Disneyland. It's not like they just decided to take them for no reason. I have no doubt that they will work as quickly as they can to resolve the issue.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitch425 View Post
Before complaining about them doing nothing and claiming they have poor service, you might ask if they are going to do anything instead. Disney IS going to give compensation to those who request a fridge but do not get one. According to what was posted on the Disney Travel Agent site, they will be giving a $15/night credit if they cannot provide a working unit. I think this is very generous considering values did not even come with fridges until Spring of last year, and prior to that they cost only $10/night if you wanted to rent one. As for it being a contract, amenities are never a guarantee in any resort, not just Disney. I've stayed at places with the pool being closed without notice before and never once did I think to ask for compensation. Things happen. The affected units were recalled due to a fire hazard. One caught on fire at GC at Disneyland. It's not like they just decided to take them for no reason. I have no doubt that they will work as quickly as they can to resolve the issue.
In regards to the bolded, while I would generally agree; it does seem in poor taste and a lack of customer service that Disney did not notify their customers who will most likely be affected. We're going in a month, and while I personally know ahead of time, due to my own research and obsessiveness, most people who booked vacations months ago probably still have no idea that they now have a very good chance of not having a fridge in their room. The first step on the business's part should have been to notify their customers, not just hope that people don't notice or that most don't make a big deal out of it.

I'm also not one who is fond of only giving compensation to those who complain and whine the loudest.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:23 AM   #19
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post
In regards to the bolded, while I would generally agree; it does seem in poor taste and a lack of customer service that Disney did not notify their customers who will most likely be affected. We're going in a month, and while I personally know ahead of time, due to my own research and obsessiveness, most people who booked vacations months ago probably still have no idea that they now have a very good chance of not having a fridge in their room. The first step on the business's part should have been to notify their customers, not just hope that people don't notice or that most don't make a big deal out of it.

I'm also not one who is fond of only giving compensation to those who complain and whine the loudest.
Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that they should be making all guests aware of the situation, but to say that they are doing nothing to make the situation better (which is what I was responding to), is not accurate.

As for who gets the compensation and who doesn't, I don't think it is a matter of who whines the loudest. They just will not know which fridges will be working and which ones won't (because not all models are affected) until a guest physically checks into their room, so they can't give compensation to everyone ahead of time when they very well may have a working fridge in their room upon arrival. I know that current guests were immediately notified with letters left in their rooms. Hopefully there will be some type of broad notification sent out to guests arriving in the coming weeks/months.

Last edited by smitch425; 07-21-2013 at 12:28 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
winterman
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2AidanAndEli
Unless I've missed it, there hasn't been much discussion about the fridges--or lack thereof--in the resort rooms since the news first broke. Any updates? Anyone there now or just come back and what did you find? We're at POFQ end of August and wondering what the status will be.
I checked into POR on Thursday the 18th. I have a frig and was told that they were not putting guests into rooms without frigs.

My DD and family arrived at POP on Wed and had to request a frig. She was given one, which was a good thing because her 13 mnth old drinks milk every 3 to 4 hours.

1976, 8/1990 offsite (DS and DD's first trip), 11/1995 Disney's Village Resort, 9/1997 CSR (first trip just the two of us), 9/2000 POFQ, 9/2002 offsite, 5/2004 offsite with adult kids, 9/2005 Pop, 9/2006 Pop, 5/2008 offsite, 9/2009 ASMu/POFQ, 4/2010 Pop, 10/2011 Pop (last trip for DH), 12/2012 POR (first solo trip), 7/2013 POR (with DD, DSIL, and DGS!), 11/2013 POFQ (with DS!),11/2014 POFQ (with DS!), 4/2015 ASMo (with DD, DSIL, DGS)

winterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #21
TNixon123
Earning My Ears

We are staying (2 families) at the AoA in August so I just called the resort.

My family is staying in a Nemo suite, and the other family in a Little Mermaid room.

I've read that the Suites are OK, but nothing concerning the Little Mermaid rooms so I wanted to double check

CM Delilah said that there are NO issues with the refrigerators at the Art of Animation. I asked her to confirm that the LM rooms are OK and she said they were.

So either those are non-recall units since the resort is so new, or they replaced them quickly..again perhaps because the resort is so new with high demand.

Just wanted to toss out what I heard...
Old 07-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #22
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

I hope they put the fridges back by January! DBF can't eat out a lot or he gets sick..so we were going to make a lot of our meals

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfinpiratee View Post
I hope they put the fridges back by January! DBF can't eat out a lot or he gets sick..so we were going to make a lot of our meals
They only expect it to take 4 months, so you should be fine in January.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They only expect it to take 4 months, so you should be fine in January.
Good! I was already mad when the rooms.don't have.microwaves....but as long.as.I can use the ones.in the food.court, I guess ill.be okay

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 PM   #25
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to share here that someone who just returned from POP did not have a working fridge and was given a $15 per night credit. It was just posted in the POP FAQ thread.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 AM   #26
NHKristy76
Senior Mousketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenMarie View Post
I really think it's terrible that they aren't comping people in some way for not having a fridge in the room...even just a Disney Gift Card for $100...a discount off your room...something. People booked rooms with fridges. When you don't deliver on what is essentially a contract, you need to compensate people somehow. Very poor on Disney's part IMO.
$100 is an awful lot to expect...
NHKristy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
5boyz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
HI! Do you know if you request when you are checking in or before? thx
Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #28
5boyz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I fully believe that they should be making all guests aware of the situation, but to say that they are doing nothing to make the situation better (which is what I was responding to), is not accurate.

As for who gets the compensation and who doesn't, I don't think it is a matter of who whines the loudest. They just will not know which fridges will be working and which ones won't (because not all models are affected) until a guest physically checks into their room, so they can't give compensation to everyone ahead of time when they very well may have a working fridge in their room upon arrival. I know that current guests were immediately notified with letters left in their rooms. Hopefully there will be some type of broad notification sent out to guests arriving in the coming weeks/months.
Ooops I jumped the gun...didnt read thru before asking my question that you answered here Also I checkin on Mon July 29th and have had no notice...oh well I will see what happens when I get there.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #29
karen4546
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here we go again with people judging others for getting not what they paid for at booking. I am tired of people saying people who expect a fridge (since there has been one in the room in previous bookings) are unreasonable in not being happy with the removal of the fridges. I am not happy that months after I booked I read where they were removing the refrigerator. No one emailed me or called me or gave me any type of credit to my booking which was already paid in full. I know the safety concern is number one, but for the inconvenience even the $15 credit would be enough to cover renting another refrigerator and that would be acceptable. But for those who say I and others are complaining and whining over a fridge after we have already spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS-to you I say I booked a room with a refrigerator and if it is not available let me know so that if other accommodations are required then I can proceed what best suits me or offer a credit per night of stay. I know that if a ride is down (which is common at least in one of the parks) or the pool is closed temporarily, that is not as much of a concern as the refrigerator. Just please don't judge me or say I should feel differently. All we want is updates and the CMs don't seem to know anything when I call. For all those who expect a refrigerator
I hope we get what we paid for at booking and for those who don't need or want one then you had nothing to lose.
karen4546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen4546 View Post
Here we go again with people judging others for getting not what they paid for at booking. I am tired of people saying people who expect a fridge (since there has been one in the room in previous bookings) are unreasonable in not being happy with the removal of the fridges. I am not happy that months after I booked I read where they were removing the refrigerator. No one emailed me or called me or gave me any type of credit to my booking which was already paid in full. I know the safety concern is number one, but for the inconvenience even the $15 credit would be enough to cover renting another refrigerator and that would be acceptable. But for those who say I and others are complaining and whining over a fridge after we have already spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS-to you I say I booked a room with a refrigerator and if it is not available let me know so that if other accommodations are required then I can proceed what best suits me or offer a credit per night of stay. I know that if a ride is down (which is common at least in one of the parks) or the pool is closed temporarily, that is not as much of a concern as the refrigerator. Just please don't judge me or say I should feel differently. All we want is updates and the CMs don't seem to know anything when I call. For all those who expect a refrigerator
I hope we get what we paid for at booking and for those who don't need or want one then you had nothing to lose.
I have never judged anyone on this site. My response was to a poster who was complaining that Disney was not going to do anything for people which was not true. My post was nothing more than informational, not judgemental in the slightest way. So your "here we go again" remark has absolutely nothing to do with me, so why would you quote me?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: