Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickcat View Post
If we were in the same situation I would choose to cancel and wait to see if the money comes thru. I would downgrade only if we could easily afford it by downgrading our room.
This is because I am the type of person who would worry the whole time thinking "do we have money to pay for this" and probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I should.
Tough choices- so sorry you have to go through this!
This is me.
Although canceling and hoping to rebook is another choice that I'd go for.
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #17
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

I'd still wait a week or more to cancel. You never know what else might come thru commissions wise (whether it's a real estate sale etc.) It won't matter if you cancel now or cancel before your PIF date as long as its prior.

If you decide NOT to cancel, I would definitely down grade.

My honey and I booked the opposite way for next May. I asked him if he wanted a veranda. He said to go ahead and get on as cheaply as possible for now and if we can and want to, maybe up grade at the port. I was happy because it was a much less deposit now, less overall cruise fare, I still got to book, and it might allow us to enjoy WDW and not feel strapped or if things change even more financially, then its still the lowest available rate to book for that sailing/month anyway... hopefully increasing our odds that even if we can't do the whole WDW thing, we could still hopefully do the 4 day cruise...

I wish you the best.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
KerriM
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWescotts View Post
Some update:

2. I have learned the ship has about 230 rooms available right now. making it about 75% full.
Assuming you are on the 10/27 Dream sailing, we are on the same trip. Hope those rooms stay unsold for your sake and ours. I'd really be quite ok with 25% less people than normal...

A girl can dream. Sigh.
KerriM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #19
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:

OK Dissers, I need you advice on the best way to go about this. . .
Whatever you do, don't do this: News video.

Good luck.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #20
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriM View Post
Assuming you are on the 10/27 Dream sailing, we are on the same trip. Hope those rooms stay unsold for your sake and ours. I'd really be quite ok with 25% less people than normal...

A girl can dream. Sigh.
We are (hopefully still) on the 10/27 Magic sailing, not the Dream, sorry.
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

ONLY ON THE DIS would someone recommend dipping into retirement accounts or selling off investments to pay for a cruise or Disney trip. That is ridiculous.

If you don't have the money to go, then cancel. Very simple.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #22
TheWescotts
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
ONLY ON THE DIS would someone recommend dipping into retirement accounts or selling off investments to pay for a cruise or Disney trip. That is ridiculous.

If you don't have the money to go, then cancel. Very simple.
We won't have the money by PIF date. We almost certainly will have the money later in the month or next month. DW is picking up extra shifts at work, I should have more commissions coming in before then. In 3 years this is the first commission I have counted on that is just not going to come. It is rare for them to get canceled.
TheWescotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
tweis
DIS Veteran

If you can comfortably downgrade financially then I would do that. If you can't then I would push the cruise back a few months until money wasn't so tight. If you need the cash back from the deposit then I would cancel the cruise all together until cash flow is a little better.

While some of the options suggested may work for some I don't think I would add more debt onto an already tight budget. Hopefully your commissions will come in as expected and you can pay off the medical bills and your cruise.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4dis View Post
do NOT borrow money or sacrifice long term investments to make up your trip. Yes you only live once, but making the hard choices and staying the course with financial discipline will reward you much longer, you never know what else can happen. downgrades or rebooking last minute if you still plan to go are solid options, along with skipping an excursion, etc. Disney isn't going anywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by disny_luvr View Post
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but I'd probably cancel. It sounds like money is pretty tight and if you recently had some medical expenses that were put on your credit card you probably shouldn't add more debt to the card, but that is just my opinion. Now, if you don't want to cancel and since you should be getting some commissions at the end of the month, could you put the balance on a credit card and then pay it off when you get the commissions before any interest is incurred? I'm not even sure if that is possible, as we rarely us a credit card, but I thought I'd throw it out there. I really hope things work out and you are able to go on the cruise. Sending pixie dust your way.
I'm with them^^^
Basically if I'm having to worry about cutting excursions, etc. while on the trip, canceling is the way I would go.
I personally wouldn't enjoy myself during the cruise itself if I was having to worry about payments, so credit is a no go.
I've cruised interior several times before, they're nice too!
I've also left the kids with their grandparents after they were old enough to guilt trip me about it. Mom and dad need time to themselves sometimes, too!

Basically if your vacation causes more stress than it relieves, in my book, that's not vacation.
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #25
linetbo
Mouseketeer

So sorry to hear that. Can you just cancel and do something else? maybe you can take advantage of the free dining plan and go to WDW on those days.

linetbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #26
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I'd push the date back so you don't lose any of the deposit if it is at all possible

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #27
klineyqueen
I live in the country where nothing much happens

Quote:
Originally Posted by time4dis View Post
do NOT borrow money or sacrifice long term investments to make up your trip. Yes you only live once, but making the hard choices and staying the course with financial discipline will reward you much longer, you never know what else can happen. downgrades or rebooking last minute if you still plan to go are solid options, along with skipping an excursion, etc. Disney isn't going anywhere
Exactly!!!!!!

1991 - offsite w/ parents 1991 - offsite w/ band 1995 - ASMu 2002 - Caribbean Beach and 3 day Wonder 1/17/04 - Western Cruise-Magic 12/04 - Christmas in Disney8/05 - Pop Century 12/06- Double Dip Magic Cruise w/ POP & ASMu 6/07- Celebrated Mom's 50th Birthday - ASMo Trip for Free Meal Plan 8/07 - POP 6/09 - 12 days at POP8/12 Pop11/13 Fantastic Fantasy
klineyqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #28
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bree View Post
My SIL had an emergency and was able to borrow against her life insurance policy. She had the check in hand within 2 business days.
A vacation is not an emergency. Don't go on the vacation if it isn't paid in full before you go.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
n8nally
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Some update:

1. Putting on a credit card is not a viable option. We don't have a lot of credit card debt, or available room on the card. We don't want to add to that.

2. I have learned the ship has about 230 rooms available right now. making it about 75% full.

So, when the PIF date hits, that number could go up some. GTY rates could become available..or it could sell out quick.

I am leaning to canceling and hoping to rebook. I don't want to dissapoint our 2 daughters and our friends.
This wouldn't help the issue with your friends, but I noticed this is a four day cruise. Could you maybe downgrade to a three day cruise in an inside room? Then your daughters would still get to go, but it would save you tons.

I've eaten at 148 out of 247 restaurants at Walt Disney World (60%)
I've eaten at 56 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (64%)
I've eaten at 39 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 6 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)
I've eaten at 2 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (67%)

n8nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #30
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I am leaning to canceling and hoping to rebook. .

I think you are leaning in the right direction.

If it's meant to be your commission will come through and you will rebook with a great GTY rate (perhaps even cheaper than what you are booked at now).

If it's not meant to be, you will be able to clear your other debts and then enjoy a fantastic cruise one day in the future when you're more financially content.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: