Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

Disney Wonder Alaska July 2013 with PICTURES & NAVIGATORS!!! (Updated 7/12/14)

VANCOUVER
We just returned from our 7 night Alaskan cruise aboard the Disney Wonder. We flew into Vancouver a day early. Since we arrived pretty early in the day, we walked down to Gastown which had lots of shops and ate at The Spaghetti Factory. We ordered spaghetti & meat sauce, spaghetti & meatballs, and linguine. All of the meals came with a salad, bread and spumoni ice cream for dessert. We thought the meal was very good and enjoyed the ambience of the restaurant. We have eaten in The Spaghetti Factory in Honolulu so we knew what we were getting into with this choice. There was a restaurant named Steam Works in this area as well. We checked out the menu here. It had a selection of burgers, beers, and sandwiches. We almost decided to eat here. You also pass a chocolate shop on the way to The Spaghetti Factory, just past Steam Works.

We walked over to Canada Place and picked up the Alaska Shopping Guide so I could peruse it to decide which shops we NEEDED to stop in at each port of call. I highly recommend picking this up early, if possible, so you don't have to spend any time during the cruise reading it. I will be happy to answer questions about shopping (I brought a book home with me), if you have any.

We stayed the night at The Fairmont Waterfront. It is a beautiful hotel with views of either Canada Place or the city skyline. The cost for the city skyline is less than the rooms that face Canada Place. The room was clean and well stocked. Beds were comfortable.

DAY 1-CRUISE BEGINS
The next morning we ate breakfast in the Waterfront Centre Mall which is located under The Fairmont Waterfront. They have a Starbucks with coffee and pastries. They also have a Nature Fair which had hot oatmeal, cold cereal, yogurt parfaits, juices and fresh fruits. There is a Tim Horton's and Subway which both served breakfast items.

We returned to our room until check out time and then walked across the street to Canada Place to check in for the cruise. As we went through Canadian Customs, I was separated from my party (one handicapped individual with helper went through the speed line) and directed to the long line. The others in my party were constantly shooed away while waiting on me to get through the long line. When I finally reached the Customs counter, the gentlemen asked if I was traveling alone. When I responded no and explained I was separated from my handicapped mother, he said that should not have happened (that's what I thought too). Once we were all back together, we were directed to the Castaway Club line. Everything went smoothly for this process as we had most of the items completed via the internet. We were issued our KTTW cards and waited in the seating area until our boarding group was called to board. Once we boarded, we skipped past those having their pictures taken and headed to Parrot Cay for lunch. We particularly enjoyed the little slider sandwiches, salad and variety of desserts offered on this buffet. A buffet is also served at Beach Blanket Buffet which runs a little longer in the day than the Parrot Cay buffet.

We went to check out the stateroom after lunch and met our host Juni. So I don't forget, he did a wonderful job of keeping our stateroom clean and stocked during our cruise. We had a blinking light fixture and a drawer stuck in the out position when we arrived in the stateroom. I told Juni about the problem and he contacted maintenance. Juni stayed on top of them until the issues were rectified. We requested a certain number of towels and 2 sets of Navigators each night. Juni delivered. We asked Juni to reset the clocks when needed. He did. Anything we asked, he took care of with a smile on his face. Whenever he saw us, he greeted us and asked about our day or where we were headed (dinner, show, etc.). Great stateroom host-you're in for a treat if you get him. We had always had stateroom hostesses until this trip. We are pleased to say host or hostess, they have all done a great job!

Next on the agenda was the mandatory safety drill. Again, my handicapped mother was separated from us so she could sit during the drill. My father and I were moved repeatedly until she couldn't see us. Near the end, a lovely cast member brought her over to find us so we could leave a little early before the crowd. Disney Cast Members rock!

We made our way to Deck 10 to watch the Adventures Away show. The best part was when the characters came on stage. Sailing away was pretty special as you hear the Disney horn play When You Wish Upon A Star.

We returned to our stateroom to find all our luggage ready and waiting. So we hurriedly unpacked since we had early seating for dinner. Our first meal was in Parrot Cay. We had the PTTAPTA rotation. I had the Baked Crab Martinique, cold mango & papaya soup and mixed grill. It came with beef tenderloin, a lamb chop, bacon wrapped sausage, jumbo shrimp and asparagus. Everything was cooked perfectly, served at the temperature it was supposed to be, and was delicious. I ate the tenderloin and shrimp but could not manage the rest of the meat (too much food). The asparagus was cooked nicely-not too crunchy but not soggy either. My mother had the asparagus soup and salmon served with cauliflower, broccoli & carrots with a baked potato. She enjoyed the salmon as it was baked but stated that the vegetables were a little uncooked and crunchy. My father had the braised jerk seasoned pork chop (it's about 1 1/2" or more thick!), parrot cay salad and mango papaya soup. My father had a stomach ache and felt dizzy and light-headed after eating the pork chop. He had a fainting episode at the table right after dinner before dessert and we needed the medical team to come check him out. The head waiter (Richard) and the medical team did a great job of assisting me during this incident. When my father came to, he had a jalepeno seed in his mouth. We are not sure what triggered this episode, but we would not recommend this pork chop. It looked very pink in the center. We ordered 2 Sweet Temptations after the medical team cleared him. I shared some of my sweets with dad in case his blood glucose was low.

We went to Future Cruise Sales and booked our next cruise and then went shopping because dad wanted to get the Alaska book with the map in it. He did not get one last time we cruised to Alaska two years ago. We skipped the show and went back to the stateroom for dad to rest. He got a good night of rest. I did not sleep as I had been instructed to keep an eye on him by the medical team. Just so no one is left hanging and wondering, he was fine the entire rest of the cruise. We are investigating the cause here at home with the doctor, however.

More to come-stayed tuned!

Last edited by EeyoreIsMyName; 07-22-2014 at 07:19 AM.
EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: