Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #1
Torontogal
Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member

Pompeii/Sorrento help

We will be on the Disney Magic Med sailing in Aug. and had a question about docking in Naples. We would like to make our own way to Pompeii and then head to Sorrento before heading back to the ship. We are in Naples from 7:30-5:30. We also would like to see Pompeii first. Has anyone been to both places on their own and how did you do it? We prefer to not use a tour company but make our own way. Any tips? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
sambycat
DIS Veteran

It's doable I guess but that's a tight schedule! Years ago I went, and we took the train from Naples to Sorrento and I did the train to and from Pompeii. Personally, I worry too much about all the cruise ship timing to do that under pressure of missing the boat but I'm sure it's doable. If trains are in time a d you aren't planning on seeing much at either stop?

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
chocolatecake
Earning My Ears

I am a newbie to DCL, but did a Holland America cruise a few years ago with a stop in Naples. We did both Sorrento and Pompeii on our own. We walked to the train station in Naples and took the train all the way to Sorrento. We then hit Pompeii on the way back. We were told Pompeii was most crowded earlier in the day so we decided to do it later.

We were back to the ship in plenty of time. I think the ride to Sorrento was a bit less an hour. We did not sit and relax in Sorrento - just walked around to see it, had a snack and then on to Pompeii by about noon.

I do remember the walk to the train station being long. Maybe a mile? Naples was busy, felt like a big city, and there was a lot of road construction. No one really spoke English so we kind of winged it. The train station seems like it was at the end of a round about and we could not figure out how to cross the street!
chocolatecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torontogal View Post
We will be on the Disney Magic Med sailing in Aug. and had a question about docking in Naples. We would like to make our own way to Pompeii and then head to Sorrento before heading back to the ship. We are in Naples from 7:30-5:30. We also would like to see Pompeii first. Has anyone been to both places on their own and how did you do it? We prefer to not use a tour company but make our own way. Any tips? Thanks!
We did a Sorrento/Pompeii tour through DCL when we went. Trying to do both makes a really full day. The road to Sorrento is a very narrow (one lane each direction) road. You need to allow for any traffic getting there.

Pompeii can take a whole day unto itself, but you can do it as quickly as you wish.

Our tour departed at 8:45 am and we made it back to the ship about 6:00 pm. It's about 55 miles from Naples to Sorrento (about 1 - 1 1/2 hours)and about 30 miles from Naples to Pompeii (45 min - an hour).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

I've been to Naples several times. It's very easy to take the train to Pompeii and Sorrento.

Another option for returning from Sorrento to the ship is to take the ferry. It takes 35 minutes, and eliminates the walk from the Naples train station to the port.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

We went to Pompeii, but no Sorrento.

We took a taxi from the port to the train station. Really didn't need to, but it was quicker.

We only did Pompeii. A guide found us standing in line and had us join his group. He got us tickets into the grounds much quicker than standing in line and he was very good ... and I think we were lucky. We enjoyed his tour (3-4 hours if my memory is correct) and so we paid him at the end of the tour.

We then took the train back to Naples - would have loved to seen Sorrento but hard choices have to be made. Once back in Naples we took the subway to the archaeological museum that had a lot of the artifacts that they collected from Pompeii (including the "Adult" room)

Then we found a nice pizzeria and had pizza margherita on the sidewalk - it was awesome!! And then we walked downhill to the port and the ship. Was an awesome day.

I hope that you are able to pull off your plan while there.
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Highly recommend using a tour company. We did. It is a full day. The tour company we used included Amalfi Coast , Sorrento with a lunch stop (open air hillside restaraunt!) before going on to Pompeii. Good thing it was an hour drive between places because that limoncello nocked me on my behind!

http://www.rome-car-tours.com/tours.htm

This tour company was absolutely fantastic. We used them for two full days of touring in Italy.

Last edited by BWV Dreamin; 07-31-2013 at 08:33 PM.
BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't personally try to do both in one day without private transportation. The distance from Sorrento to Naples port is quite long.

We had major problems with the tour company we used (called See Amalfi Coast). Don't use them, they were bad and made us miss Sorrento.

I've heard great things about Rome in Limo. There's a bunch of ongoing TRs from this year's Med, and I'm sure lots of people have write ups on their Naples day. Good luck!!
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
sippican
Mouseketeer

We love doing things on our own,but in this case I agree, use a private tour company. We have used RomeInLimo - they are highly rated with good reason. We have used Simply Amalfi and were disappointed. I strongly recommend hiring a guide at Pompeii. If you use a private tour company they can get one for you, or there are guides at the entrance.
Have you considered the ruins at Herculaneum? They are not as large or well-known, but were covered with mud rather than ash and are better preserved. We were very impressed.

Past Cruises:
CCL Imagination, CCL Valor, NCL Sun, RCL Brilliance, Celebrity Millenium, RCL Voyager, RCL Nordic Prince
WDW Passholder
Numerous stays at Fort Wilderness- 2013 Winnebago Aspect
sippican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #10
gilsan
DIS Veteran

You can easily do both on your own. We stayed in Sorrento on vacation and took the train to Pompeii and Naples a few times. It runs frequently and has interesting scenery along the way. I would probably take a taxi to the train station to save time.

If you are thinking of taking a ferry back to Naples from Sorrento leave a little extra time in case they aren't running and you need to take the train. We tried to take the ferry to Naples but could not because the water was to rough.

2009 POFQ, 2010 Grand Floridian, 2011 Wilderness Lodge, 2012 BC/Dream Cruise/Poly, 2012 Halloween Fantasy Cruise, 2013 AKV, 2014 Eastbound Transatlantic Cruise2015 Eastbound Transatlantic Mmmm....Cake, 9 nights of Deluxe Dining w/Pictures
gilsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #11
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrabbit View Post

. . . We only did Pompeii.

. . . We then took the train back to Naples - would have loved to seen Sorrento but hard choices have to be made. Once back in Naples we took the subway to the archaeological museum that had a lot of the artifacts that they collected from Pompeii

. . . Then we found a nice pizzeria and had pizza margherita
This is an ideal itinerary: Pompeii + National Archeology Museum + authentic margherita pizza. We did this on our first fisit to Naples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sippican View Post

. . . Have you considered the ruins at Herculaneum? They are not as large or well-known, but were covered with mud rather than ash and are better preserved. We were very impressed.
One time we went to Herculaneum and Sorrento. Just take the same train headed to Pompeii, and get off earlier.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

I am sure Pompeii may be less crowded in the afternoon, but boy is it hot! No matter when you go, it's amazing.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleophus12
I am sure Pompeii may be less crowded in the afternoon, but boy is it hot! No matter when you go, it's amazing.
And pay for a guide or you truely will have no idea what you are looking at. Our guide was worth every penny!

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #14
cleophus12
DIS Veteran

I concur. If you aren't going with a tour you definitely need a guide. So interesting--for all ages. Dd was 14 and was fascinated by Pompeii. She'd never studied it and knew nothing about it but thoroughly enjoyed it--in spite of the heat.
cleophus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
s3rndpt
Mouseketeer

Personally, I'd pick one or the other. When we visited last Nov/Dec., we spent 4 days in Sorrento and 4 days in Pompei, and took day trips out from each (my avatar is a picture of me in front of the Temple of Apollo at Paestum in Nov). For the Pompeii ruins, we spent an entire day there, from morning till nightfall. That was actually the 3rd complete day I've spent in the ruins and I still haven't seen everything. Remember, it's an entire town, not just a few little houses and streets. You can find a ton of downloadable online guides, like Rick Steves, that are pretty helpful, and the map you can get at the entrance is very useful. With that said, a guide won't hurt anything either. FYI, the back entrance is usually MUCH less crowded than the main entrance.

Sorrento is a lovely town to walk through and shop and eat, but again, you can easily spend the entire day there. One thing you could do is hire someone to drive you down the coast through Sorrento to Amalfi and back to Naples. It's a nice drive and you can stop at a few of the factories and towns throughout.

One thing to note--I would NOT rely on the Circumvesuviana to get you anywhere. It sometimes runs on time, sometimes runs really late, and sometimes it just doesn't run at all (as we discovered after dinner one night, and when we tried to get to Herculaneum). Either hire someone to drive you (could combine a guide with this), take the ferry or a hydrofoil (if they're running) or take one of the actual trains. Also, I don't think I'd rent a car either, while it's not impossible to get around, unless you have time to kill, you'll probably get lost at some point and there are some weird restrictions on some of the roads both in Sorrento and Naples that can get you huge fines.
s3rndpt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: