Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

We absolutely love dinner at Palo, and feel it is definitely a must do on our cruises. Since you will be on the Dream, try and book Palo for the night you will repeat in one of the three dining rooms. If I remember correctly, you will repeat the same dining room on nights 3 and 4, with night 3 being Pirate Night. If that isn't a good option (i.e. you do not want to miss Pirate Night along with wanting to dine together as a family on your last night of the cruise), then I would skip either Enchanted Garden or Royal Palace, as I think your children would love Animator's Palate (although if one of them has sensory issues, AP might be overdo for them since it is quite loud in there...in that case, you may decide that is best dining room for your family to miss). Of course, you will not know your rotation prior to your cruise, but you can always call DCL and request a certain rotation (AP/EG/RP/RP or RP/AP/EG/EG or EG/RP/AP/AP). Not a guarantee, but they will try to honor your request. And if the rotation ends up not working out with your plans, you can try and change Palo dinner after you board the ship.

Now, if you do decide to have dinner at Palo your children still have a few options for dinner that evening. First, they can eat in the dining room alone. Just let your servers know ahead of time, and they will tend to them! There are also a few other food options on the ship. Cabanas buffet will be open on certain nights of your sailing. If it happens to be open on your Palo night, you can take your kids to eat there before your dinner. Also, room service is available 24 hours...they can enjoy a fun in-room dinner before heading off to the clubs, while you head off to Palo. Lastly, they can get a bite from Flo's where you will find burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, salad, pizza, and the like.

Hope this helps!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
AlexMaxAunt
Earning My Ears

I would skip Palo. I just got off my first cruise yesterday and did Palo brunch on Friday. I did not think it was that much better than the main dining room and two of the four of us said we probably wouldn't do it again. The desserts were about the same as MDR. The pizzas that everyone raved about do not even compare to some pizza places I've been to. I was expecting better. I was also not expecting much from the MDR and buffets and was pleasantly surprised because I thought they were above average.
AlexMaxAunt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
starousse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollandmillerFamily View Post
Do the brunch! No issues with missing any dinners in the MDRs and, like another poster suggested, it might be more fun for your kids in the clubs during the day anyway. And no missed family time at dinner.
Good luck!
I was gonna ask the same question...and I think this is the happy medium. As much as it would be nice to have a date night with the hubby. I would feel bad not all eating together, especially that it's only a 4 night cruise.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMaxAunt View Post
I would skip Palo. I just got off my first cruise yesterday and did Palo brunch on Friday. I did not think it was that much better than the main dining room and two of the four of us said we probably wouldn't do it again. The desserts were about the same as MDR. The pizzas that everyone raved about do not even compare to some pizza places I've been to. I was expecting better. I was also not expecting much from the MDR and buffets and was pleasantly surprised because I thought they were above average.
I think this is how I feel too. Because the MDRs are much nicer than other cruise dining options, it's no contest. Anything you don't like, send back or ask what you want and ours really worked hard to get it for us as quickly as possible. Our weight staff was impeccable. Super super. We didn't miss out anything missing the MDR but it was a 3 day cruise, and so every night counted. Now we get a 4 day, but when you spend extra $$$, you expect extra. When you don't spend extra dough, you might be pleasantly surprised! That's how we roll.

Can't wait to try the new dining rooms on the Magic as well!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Do the brunch- well worth it!!
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkistevej View Post
Do the brunch- well worth it!!
Agreed!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
Illini_Fan
Mouseketeer

We haven't tried the brunch, but expect to do that over our Thanksgiving cruise.

My wife and I like Palo and plan on going again. The service is better than the MDR, the table is more intimate and the overall ambiance is worth the small up-charge in our opinion.

We aren't foodies so we don't really select Palo for their food quality vis-a-vis the MDR, although we have been very happy with the dishes we have had.

We also like the more formal attire - I know we could do that in the MDR, but for us there is a total difference in the atmosphere between Palo and the MDRs.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:12 PM   #23
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The atmosphere in Palo is different because of the attire, but also because it's adult-only. Sometimes it's nice to take a break from other people's children.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

My vote is...YES! Do Palo! For dinner. On our last cruise, we dined at Palo at the one restaurant that we repeated for Pirate Night. I didn't feel like we missed out on anything, and dinner at Palo was so special.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM   #25
jrabbit
DIS Veteran

First Cruise, only 4 nights, skip Palo and Remy.

They might be "The Best" but you probably don't want to miss what is going on elsewhere on the cruise.

Trust Me, this will not be your last DCL cruise!!!

Question: What does Disney call a first time cruiser?

Answer: a New Repeat Customer!!
jrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
Jimbob22
Earning My Ears

We did Palo for dinner and thought it was great. Every cut of beef I had in the MDRs was smallish, sometimes dried out, nothing to write home about, but the blue cheese crusted tenderloin in Palo was excellent: a real tenderloin, medium rare, but definitely not raw. The lobster ravioli were rich and tasty. Someone else nearby had some entree with mussels and other seafood, and it looked good.

I really doubt that you'd regret going. We also got some kind of Palo 'sampler' of 3 desserts (including the famous custard one), and they were great.

Palo is definitely like a $40-50 per person type of experience, depending on what kind of appetite you bring.
Jimbob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 PM   #27
jczosack
Pixie Duster

For a 4 night cruise, I would skip Palo all together.
jczosack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #28
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMaxAunt View Post
Agree 100%. We went to Palo last August and didn't think it was anything special. Just an average run of the mill Italian restaurant IMHO.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #29
OMD13
Mouseketeer

Love Palo! We have done dinner and the brunch. If you can only do one I would recommend the brunch.

OMD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #30
vcunning
Mouseketeer

We did Palo Brunch and Dinner on a recent 4-night cruise. Both are great and we'd do them again. The Brunch and Dinner have a very different feel as you move from buffet to full-service dining.

We went with another family. I thought it was great of the Disney Dining Manager to call us to let us know that he talked to our MDR servers and they'd be happy to serve the kids alone as they are very well behaved. As our reservation was a couple of hours after our MDR, we declined and just enjoyed some family time at the MDR before Palos (for clarity, the kids ate, but we waited).
vcunning is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: