Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #556
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Ooh wow what a fun hike that is!

We just recently 'hiked' (it was all flat land, not sure if it's still considered a hike? Perhaps a walking trail..) for our 7 year anniversary at the Coast this past Monday. It was roundtrip 4 miles, and luckily the state website was correct on that as I logged in our walk on my phone and it was fantastic! I'd love to do more trails in the future and hopefully DH and I will be doing this one someday.

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #557
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Well, the Northeast side, depending on where you are, is far from stuff but really, it's an Island so about the farthest you could be from much is maybe 2 hours unless you hit rush hour/commuter traffic.
I just think it is funny she was so sure that it was on that part of the island and I was just like

Quote:
Why shouldn't Jan be a good time? I think it's fabulous. Low points, low airfares...I'm hoping for Feb of next year (so just as far off...WDW this Jan for us too as you know but no half lol).
Well, again... I was just listening and thinking "oh...ok...yeah...mhmmm..got cha" I am very happy to learn that January would be a perfectly acceptable time to go.

Quote:
Um and yes. You really do want to be at the resort a lot. But you can get out and about too. Lots more to come.
Cant wait to read more!
annmarieda is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 PM   #558
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to chime in and say that we were there the week before Christmas 2011, and I'm sure the temps were right at about 80 degrees. If I were to complain at all about the weather during our stay, I'd say it was a bit windy, which made getting out of the water a bit chilly - my personal temperature preference for swimming is above 90, but you see people in WDW swimming when it's 50 in Florida!!
The weather was so pleasant, we were really glad we had rented a Jeep with a removable top! We drove everywhere with the top off!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #559
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshaface View Post
Ooh wow what a fun hike that is!

We just recently 'hiked' (it was all flat land, not sure if it's still considered a hike? Perhaps a walking trail..) for our 7 year anniversary at the Coast this past Monday. It was roundtrip 4 miles, and luckily the state website was correct on that as I logged in our walk on my phone and it was fantastic! I'd love to do more trails in the future and hopefully DH and I will be doing this one someday.
I think it's a NW thing. A hike is a hike lol, flat or not. I don't know why I get hung up on the hill aspect. I'm so glad you enjoyed yours, I adore just being out there like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I just think it is funny she was so sure that it was on that part of the island and I was just like
well unless you know the island pretty well I think most people are a bit clueless as to where Aulani is, just that it's not right in Honolulu. It's funny, it's all relative I guess. To my cousins it is SO far away...but really it's a 45 min drive from where they live. LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Well, again... I was just listening and thinking "oh...ok...yeah...mhmmm..got cha" I am very happy to learn that January would be a perfectly acceptable time to go.

Cant wait to read more!
I can't see why it wouldn't, the weather is really quite constant there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that we were there the week before Christmas 2011, and I'm sure the temps were right at about 80 degrees. If I were to complain at all about the weather during our stay, I'd say it was a bit windy, which made getting out of the water a bit chilly - my personal temperature preference for swimming is above 90, but you see people in WDW swimming when it's 50 in Florida!!
The weather was so pleasant, we were really glad we had rented a Jeep with a removable top! We drove everywhere with the top off!
I think you can get those winds anytime and part of it the location on the island. It can make nighttime swims a bit chilly if it is too windy but it's still gorgeous! I've been there in Feb, March, April and May and truly can't recall the weather being much different in any of them.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #560
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Wow its taken me two weekends to get caught up Cynthia but so worth it!

I loved how totally relaxing your first day was -the spa trip sounded just heavenly. the gardens looked wonderful, I can imagine wanting to spend quite a bit of time in there.

I had to laugh at the change of pace between reading about your spa morning and then the craziness related to your family trip for New Years Eve! So glad that it sounds like its all slowly coming together.

Your evening out sounds great --dinner, drinks, happy hour and the story time on the beach wow. what a great weekend so far for the two of you.

Nice hike photos - you look fantastic, too! How cool that you got to see the monk sea lions. I just love when I am able to spot wildlife out on a walk or something. It just feels like a very special present just for me. You definitely scored on that end as well.
Moira222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #561
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
Wow its taken me two weekends to get caught up Cynthia but so worth it!
I am SO behind everywhere it's crazy!

Quote:
I loved how totally relaxing your first day was -the spa trip sounded just heavenly. the gardens looked wonderful, I can imagine wanting to spend quite a bit of time in there.
The spa is amazing!!!

Quote:
I had to laugh at the change of pace between reading about your spa morning and then the craziness related to your family trip for New Years Eve! So glad that it sounds like its all slowly coming together.
A little different planning for a couples trip and one for 11-13 people. LOL!

Quote:
Your evening out sounds great --dinner, drinks, happy hour and the story time on the beach wow. what a great weekend so far for the two of you.

Nice hike photos - you look fantastic, too! How cool that you got to see the monk sea lions. I just love when I am able to spot wildlife out on a walk or something. It just feels like a very special present just for me. You definitely scored on that end as well.
It was a great evening and a lovely little hike. The seals made it incredibly special.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #562
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

I am starting to get caught up on my TRs! I loved your update. The landscape looks so wonderful there. And seeing wildlife is always a bonus. Unfortunately I am not sure my white skin would be able to do a hike like that out in the sun for so long! But it seems to be a lovely little excursion not too far from Aulani.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:54 PM   #563
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
I am starting to get caught up on my TRs! I loved your update. The landscape looks so wonderful there. And seeing wildlife is always a bonus. Unfortunately I am not sure my white skin would be able to do a hike like that out in the sun for so long! But it seems to be a lovely little excursion not too far from Aulani.
Long sleeves, long pants and a hat. It's doable and we saw plenty of folks covered up that way, trick is to use dri-fit/spf fabrics and/or quick dry so you don't melt and stay protected. I probably should have worn a shirt and hat, did have them with me and had we been out any longer, they'd have gone on!

It was a lovely little excursion.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #564
GoofyFan1515
DIS Veteran

What a great update, and looks like a very enjoyable hike. Not that I have anything against hanging out at the pool and taking in the lazy river, but I'm thinking there is only so much of that you can take before you have to get out and enjoy the sights and the surrounding area........even at a beautiful resort like Aulani!

Such great scenery, and how lucky to see the two monk seals! I'm guessing there were new and exciting things to discover all along the trail, almost at every turn.

With all those rods, somebody was taking their fishing very seriously!

So with the way things turned out, and after looking at the map...........

If you had to plan the day over again, would you have left the resort and driven towards the North Shore and done the trail from that direction? At least that way you would have already been on the North Shore when you finished the RT hike.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
I never had the energy to run!! But was the time when I could dance the night away!!!
With, or without, the assistance of a pole???
GoofyFan1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #565
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyFan1515 View Post
What a great update, and looks like a very enjoyable hike. Not that I have anything against hanging out at the pool and taking in the lazy river, but I'm thinking there is only so much of that you can take before you have to get out and enjoy the sights and the surrounding area........even at a beautiful resort like Aulani!
Exactly! 2 days of total utter laziness and I needed to move! It was the perfect speed and a lovely hike.

Quote:
Such great scenery, and how lucky to see the two monk seals! I'm guessing there were new and exciting things to discover all along the trail, almost at every turn.
It's so gorgeous, I can watch the waves crash for hours

Quote:
With all those rods, somebody was taking their fishing very seriously!
Yes they do! Next time I really do want to try to hit a farmers market and get "real" local fish.

Quote:
So with the way things turned out, and after looking at the map...........

If you had to plan the day over again, would you have left the resort and driven towards the North Shore and done the trail from that direction? At least that way you would have already been on the North Shore when you finished the RT hike.........
Honestly I'm not sure. It was a spur of the moment thought to combine them, which obviously didn't work. You could do the other side but it's kind of a hike to drive there for an early am start compared to the side we were on and we wanted to do it before the true heat of the day. I think it also really depends on what your agenda is for the Northshore and how much of a day you are making it. We ended up very happy with how it worked out but I could see trying it from the other side next time...just to see. It would have been MUCH windier going the other way though and it was pretty windy as it was. That might have been unpleasant in spots depending on what there was to blow around.

Quote:
With, or without, the assistance of a pole???
Now that is a silly question! With of course I am sure.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #566
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I'm sorry, we can't do that here.

We left Ka'ena at 12:28. Our plan was to head back and make lunch. We were STARVING! By the time we got back to Aulani, up to the room, dumped our stuff the last thing I personally felt like doing was making lunch. I don't even know that it was so much about making lunch, I mean we had lovely food there and a lovely lanai but...I have issues eating the same thing 2 days in a row. Leftover issues I guess you could call it. Though I eat a lot of the same things for lunch or breakfast, I usually alternate and for whatever reason, at that moment was having visions of 5 days in a row of turkey sandwiches and it was not at all appealing.

I

Wanted

A

Cheeseburger

BAD.

It may have had something to do with the calories we burned on our walk. It likely had more to do with the fact that my breakfast hadn't been all that large (and had been the same thing 2 days in a row). But for whatever reason, budget be darned, I wanted one. Much to my surprise, Jeff readily agreed. We decided to head down to Off the Hook and order burgers there. We also decided to make drinks to take down with us. Seriously, all the way back from the hike I was looking up burger places on my phone. I had done this before we left too and hadn't found anything. Sadly no Margaritaville or Cheeseburger in Paradise was to be found. A few other places but not remotely close.

On our way, we first checked the menu at AMA AMA as it has such a lovely view.

They offered
Angus Chuck Burger with Lemon Grass-Chile Bacon,
Gruyère Cheese, Kamuela Tomatoes, Mānoa Lettuce, Pickled Daikon, and Carrots $18
That seemed a bit steep

Off the Hook had this
Angus Bacon Cheeseburger - served with choice of Taro Chips or French Fries. $14.00.
Ok, no fancy cheese or CARROTS (lol) but 4 bucks is 4 bucks.

We found a spot, a little closer to the tube slide exit than we’d have liked and waited. And waited. They were busy. They did stop by to let us know they’d be there in a minute. Then again to bring a menu. And finally stopped by to order.

"I'd like the cheeseburger, medium rare"

I'm sorry, we can't do that here.

"What do you mean you can't do that?"

We can only server burgers well done.

"What? Why?"

I don't know, all I know is all of the outside locations can only serve them well done, something to do with being out in the sun.

You can have it cooked to temperature at AMA AMA.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay.......

To say I was not happy was an understatement. When I am that hungry, and actually craving something, to be denied well...it's not pretty. Jeff, if possible was even more annoyed. And out of the principle of the thing we refused to pay the extra $4 to go to AMA AMA.

We could have had a well done burger.

Yeah. Not.

We could have gone back to the room and made sandwiches

Yeah. Not. We were committed at this point!

So we did what any reasonable person might do.

Go across the street to Monkeypod!

Here's what they had to offer

And live music!

And more fun drinks, which we would not have ordered since we'd made our own in our mugs..and could have gone back up for a refill.

I chose the Rain Tree Elixir this time

Rain Tree Elixir - $12
veev acai spirit, coconut water, lime, simple syrup, kaffir lime leaves

Now it seems to me that the burger came with Kim Chee and you had to add the fries. But you could add truffle fries! So of course we did. I think the fries were $4 so...yeah, we didn't save any money at all.

We both chose this one, although I have to admit I was tempted by the Turkey Burger (but that would have defeated my platform of I NEEDED a medium rare burger. Doesn't have quite the same ring with Turkey).

Big Island Cheese Burger - 12.95
Dijon Aioli, Sautéed Onion, Fontina, Vine-Ripened Tomato, Lettuce, House-Made Quick Pickle, House-Baked Bun

Clearly I didn't care. Besides I knew the mixed drinks were better here anyway!

Our server had a lot of fun teasing us about our mugs, wanting to know what was in them. The drink was rather lovely. A little sweet but I figured the sugar was good after how much I'd sweated on the hike...replacing electrolytes you know.

Check this baby out!

Look ma! Medium Rare!

We were seated at the same table as the previous night. Unlike the cute kids, today we had scary cheesy real estate people trying to put the move on a tourist. A man and a woman , both in bad suits and incredibly rude and not really interested in the potential buyer. The man kept yawning! After their "buyer" left they stayed for quite some time chatting and literally just oozed sleaze all the way to our table. They were entertaining. In a sad, wierd way.

It was not a cheap lunch. With the burgers, fries and drinks and tip it came close to $50. We'd have spent less had we gone to AMA AMA as we'd not have bought drinks.

It was worth EVERY penny.

Lunch complete, happy bellies we decided we should try to use our snorkel gear that we’d worked so hard to rent despite the aborted trip to the Northshore.

In the spirit of snorkeling apparently I decided a picture of the Koi were in order first.

Heading to the lagoon in mid to late afternoon was not the time to be trying it! It was cloudy, windy and the water was murky as heck, meaning we didn’t see much. Of course the fact that we went to the left side of the lagoon when the lovely Lisa Marie had clearly said the right, may not have helped either.

Bummed, we gave up and…

SHOCKER

Got ready to head to the Lazy River. As we packed up our gear I noted that my feet were crazy red. Like bright red strawberry birthmark kind of red, or burn red. Yeah. Straight rubber on my feet, with my allergy…not a great fit. Sigh.

Two trips around the Lazy River did help. PLUS we saw Owen Wilson!

Ok, not really, his slightly flabbier twin. Seriously. Same nose. It was nuts, we could not get over it. We had actually seen him and his GF the day before on the lazy river and had commented on how much he looked like Owen Wilson separately. Today again they were floating around. It was kind of funny, we joked that either they were following us or they might think we were stalking them.

I confess, I did not take my phone out for a single picture of any of this. But it DID happen!
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #567
Leshaface
DIS Veteran

Okay that's just so strange that they won't cook it they way you want it ...guess I know where we'll be going if we ever make it out that way Your burger looks delicious!

No Owen picture?! I don't believe it then

DLR: Yearly trips from 1991-2006, AP holder Jan 06 (monthly trips thru May 2008), Nov 08 DLH-Dreams, Jan 09 GCH, June 09 DLH-Magic, June 09 Desert Inn, Oct 09 Tropicana, Mar 10 GCH, May 10 Castle Inn, Nov 10 GCH, Mar 11 DLH, Nov 11 GCH, Mar 12 PPH, Apr 12 PPH, July 12 PPH, Nov 12 DLH, May 13 GCH, July 14 VGC, Oct 14 CCI
WDW : June 2-8, 2008 - Pop Century, January 20-28, 2010 - CSR, Dec 8-15, 2012 AKV/BWV, Oct 5-11, 2013 SSR/AKV/BLT
DCL: Dream June 2011, Wonder Dec 2011

Food and Wine? Sounds Divine! Oct 2013 TR
Our First WDW Trip as Parents - December 2012
Mexican Riviera Cruise with WONDERful Souvenir in the Works!Dream CAME True! June 21-26, 2011 TR
Food, Fun, and Frivolity: 8 Funtabulous days
Ugh, what were we thinking?! 9 days Deluxe Dining, The Crow's fly to Disneyworld! Jan 20-28, 2010 Pre-TR, DLR - The Proposal, Bouncers, and a Celebrity! June 3-6
Leshaface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #568
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Yeah, Cynthia, all caught up here as well.

So they cannot serve a mid rare burger outside? Strange.

But at least you got truffle fries and a lovely drink in the end.
And a dip in the lazy river.
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

dizneeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 AM   #569
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Score for ordering a burger your way in the end!! Who would have thought it would be so hard to get a med rare burger?

I completely GET the idea of not wanting to eat the same thing day after day even if it means more $ in my pocket. I have a plan and then... oh, look at the pretty sparkly thing... I'm easily side-tracked!

Oh so sorry about the allergy flare up. Argh!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:04 AM   #570
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Good for you that you didn't settle! Ya know, we'd have done exactly the same thing! If you want to "take the risk" for ordering the burger the way you like it, that's your business.

I'm gonna make a note about Monkepod - sounds like our kind of place!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
CarolynK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aulani, dvc, ka'ena, koko head

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: