Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #46
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality
 
Twin Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
An update in the link posted says that that is not the script for episode 7 after all..
Its going to be a long 22 months. I'm already getting tired of the false rumors misdirection.

And don't even get me started on all the fan created posters and trailers littering Facebook.
__________________
Me (Corey) DW DS (5) DD (5)
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #47
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,873

I not interested in any rumors...


I just hope they do a COMPLETE story (no ridiculous loose ends like those Rick mccallum nightmares) that has plausible acting and eases off the CGI.

Basically what the original 3 were... Which looks like Citizen Kane compared to today's garbage.

Unfortunately they needed more like a Christopher Nolan than a JJ Abrams...but his star treks aren't bad and he gets my benefit of the doubt
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #48
dpic
DIS Veteran
 
dpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,086

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I not interested in any rumors...


and eases off the CGI.
Yes. I want my rubber-faced aliens back
__________________
Dan








dpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:01 AM   #49
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpic View Post
Yes. I want my rubber-faced aliens back
It's not that I don't like effects...love them.

But there's no depth to them...which if you're talking about action sequences then nobody cares...but dialogue scenes with 2 actors against a green screen with 1,600 cgi all around look terrible.

That was the biggest swing and miss with the "prequels"...
Second is the ability to take a story that everyone watching already knew and make it completely suck beyond belief.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #50
Disflyer
Mouseketeer
 
Disflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
It's not that I don't like effects...love them.

But there's no depth to them...which if you're talking about action sequences then nobody cares...but dialogue scenes with 2 actors against a green screen with 1,600 cgi all around look terrible.

That was the biggest swing and miss with the "prequels"...
Second is the ability to take a story that everyone watching already knew and make it completely suck beyond belief.

You took the words right out of my mouth... Couldn't agree more.

I just also want to add stop using animation on characters that have no need on earth to be animated (hello clone troopers...)


CG should be used to enhance believability not to tell the story. Look at Cap't America, the CG used in the beginning to show a thin Steve Rogers was just amazing. This is where CG shines that traditional effects couldn't.
__________________
Just me and my 3 girls!
Disflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #51
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,795

Not a rumor, but breaking news...Kathleen Kennedy just announced at Star Wars Celebration Europe that John Williams will return to score Episode VII...

http://scifistorm.org/2013/07/27/joh...s-episode-vii/
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:51 PM   #52
super mike b
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpic View Post
Yes. I want my rubber-faced aliens back
Don't forget the rubber fingers and Muppets!!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #53
MarkC71
Earning My Ears
 
MarkC71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disflyer View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth... Couldn't agree more.

I just also want to add stop using animation on characters that have no need on earth to be animated (hello clone troopers...)

CG should be used to enhance believability not to tell the story. Look at Cap't America, the CG used in the beginning to show a thin Steve Rogers was just amazing. This is where CG shines that traditional effects couldn't.
I agree totally. One of my big issues with the prequels was that I felt Lucas violated his own rule that special effects should be used to help tell the story, the story should not revolve around them. I really felt the prequels were all about the spectacle, he was so impressed by what could be done he didn't stop to think if it should be done. Prime example number one: Jar Jar Binks, who added absolutely nothing to the Phantom Menace story, but ended up in nearly every scene in the film.

And I always felt the ships in the three original films , most of which were modals, looked much better and much more real on film then the CGI ships.
MarkC71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #54
DanBoris
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 648

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC71 View Post
I agree totally. One of my big issues with the prequels was that I felt Lucas violated his own rule that special effects should be used to help tell the story, the story should not revolve around them. I really felt the prequels were all about the spectacle, he was so impressed by what could be done he didn't stop to think if it should be done. Prime example number one: Jar Jar Binks, who added absolutely nothing to the Phantom Menace story, but ended up in nearly every scene in the film.

And I always felt the ships in the three original films , most of which were modals, looked much better and much more real on film then the CGI ships.
Saw this quote from the /Film article about Kennedy's panel at Star Wars Celebration:

"Kennedy showed enthusiasm for using more practical effects and real locations in the new trilogy, saying: “Much like many of you, looking at all the Star Wars movies and getting a feeling in what the early films did in combination with real locations and special effects — that’s something we’re looking very seriously at. We’re going to find some really cool locations for Ep VII. We’re going to use ever tool in the toolbox for this movie.” … “It’s using artwork that you can touch and feel in combination with CG effects.”
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #55
Disflyer
Mouseketeer
 
Disflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Saw this quote from the /Film article about Kennedy's panel at Star Wars Celebration:

"Kennedy showed enthusiasm for using more practical effects and real locations in the new trilogy, saying: “Much like many of you, looking at all the Star Wars movies and getting a feeling in what the early films did in combination with real locations and special effects — that’s something we’re looking very seriously at. We’re going to find some really cool locations for Ep VII. We’re going to use ever tool in the toolbox for this movie.” … “It’s using artwork that you can touch and feel in combination with CG effects.”
This

Seriously just having JJ behind the camera will go a long way to fixing what GL broke.
__________________
Just me and my 3 girls!
Disflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #56
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post

"Kennedy showed enthusiasm for using more practical effects and real locations in the new trilogy, saying: “Much like many of you, looking at all the Star Wars movies and getting a feeling in what the early films did in combination with real locations and special effects — that’s something we’re looking very seriously at. We’re going to find some really cool locations for Ep VII. We’re going to use ever tool in the toolbox for this movie.” … “It’s using artwork that you can touch and feel in combination with CG effects.”
If this is what the new Lucas regime and Disney people involved truly are attempting...then they really get it...
...if its just bravado that will ultimately succumb to aliens on iMacs because its cheaper... Then we'll see more of the same garbage.

So far... And I am far from a Koolaid peddler when it comes to Lucasfilm or Disney (the classic love/hate relationship... As they are the most important pop culture companies in my life)...they have said and appeared to have done all the right things.

I'm not 100% sold on Abrams... But it is a solid, non cheapskate hire. I would have been very disappointed if they had put gore verbinski or a Pixar guy or anybody who ever worked for Jerry bruckheimer in there.

That's not what Star Wars needs...it needs depth, story, and characters...not spectacle.

Not only was the "spectacle" of the back stories bad...it's all they worried about...

Anybody impressed by the clone battles? Or that dumb 3 part "struggle" at the end of the phantom movie? Or the useless cgi wookie junk?

It all looked terrible...the cgi was trumped by the Matrix 2 months before ep 1 opened... And was utterly embarrassed by The Lord of the Rings and others from there.

Just awful...here's hoping that Lucasfilm has had enough crap...no more clones and no more kingdom of the crystal skull (Lucas must have had Spielberg on camera with a goat for him to put his name to that)

What's funny is that the diehards who are mad that Lucas "sold out" to the evil disney are completely upside down, backwards, and have their heads and fannies reversed.

I really hope they eat it when they sneak into a midnight showing in 2015...and by "eat it"...I mean an exceptional movie that heals the wounds.

Not pirates at worlds end, the Lone Ranger, or prince of Persia.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM   #57
Joben
Mouseketeer
 
Joben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Saint Louis MO
Posts: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
If this is what the new Lucas regime and Disney people involved truly are attempting...then they really get it...
...if its just bravado that will ultimately succumb to aliens on iMacs because its cheaper... Then we'll see more of the same garbage.

So far... And I am far from a Koolaid peddler when it comes to Lucasfilm or Disney (the classic love/hate relationship... As they are the most important pop culture companies in my life)...they have said and appeared to have done all the right things.

I'm not 100% sold on Abrams... But it is a solid, non cheapskate hire. I would have been very disappointed if they had put gore verbinski or a Pixar guy or anybody who ever worked for Jerry bruckheimer in there.

That's not what Star Wars needs...it needs depth, story, and characters...not spectacle.

Not only was the "spectacle" of the back stories bad...it's all they worried about...

Anybody impressed by the clone battles? Or that dumb 3 part "struggle" at the end of the phantom movie? Or the useless cgi wookie junk?

It all looked terrible...the cgi was trumped by the Matrix 2 months before ep 1 opened... And was utterly embarrassed by The Lord of the Rings and others from there.

Just awful...here's hoping that Lucasfilm has had enough crap...no more clones and no more kingdom of the crystal skull (Lucas must have had Spielberg on camera with a goat for him to put his name to that)

What's funny is that the diehards who are mad that Lucas "sold out" to the evil disney are completely upside down, backwards, and have their heads and fannies reversed.

I really hope they eat it when they sneak into a midnight showing in 2015...and by "eat it"...I mean an exceptional movie that heals the wounds.

Not pirates at worlds end, the Lone Ranger, or prince of Persia.
So I have been following "Rumors" for awhile, and clearly by my post count I can be labeled a lurker. However I've seen you post many times and find your post to be completely pessimistic, albeit never glorified nor outlandish. So my question is did you just express hope about something Disney is doing?(the new films) I find that even more outlandish than anything posted on this thread. Not trying to say anything critical about you or your post, just amazed to read that you express hope for something. Please don't stop criticizing the excessive numbers of idiotic posts that invade the "Rumors" threads.
__________________
8/80 camping FW*8/83 camping FW*3/10 Day at MK*8/10 camping FW*3/11 ASMu*3/12 OKW*10/12 OKW*3/13 OKW*11/13 OKW*3/14 camping FW*10/14 OKW



Joben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #58
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,873

I give credit where credit is due...


Buying Star Wars is a bold and good move for Disney... It's "in the crapper" by it's standards... Profitable but completely at its creative low point and adrift.

Disney, with its rep and capital... Are in a unique position to breathe life into it. That is something that is promising...
Credit where credit is due. If they don't chase cheap Chinese toys until AFTER they make some great movies...I'm all in.

But as far as my pessimism... It's more or less common sense and two functioning eyes...

"New" Fantasyland is basically on the scale of a rather uneventful addition to Disneyland in the mid 60's...the "horn tooting" in the back of my head died down in about 10 minutes after entrance...

My personal new favorite is the " Carsland and Star Wars land is a go... Reliable source says"

Right... After spending a couple of billion on a park retrofit, two new overpriced cruiseship, and about 10 billion in IP acquisitions... Why not pour another couple of billion into the flagship resort that is already host to about 50 million annually and makes huge profits?

Why? Cause the "people want it"... Even if they use their wallets anyway...
Or cause they are so scared to death of the Hogwarts train across town that their market share might go from 78% to 77% of the market share?

This stuff is obvious to figure out... If you stop and think about it.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #59
dairylives
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I give credit where credit is due...


Buying Star Wars is a bold and good move for Disney... It's "in the crapper" by it's standards... Profitable but completely at its creative low point and adrift.

Disney, with its rep and capital... Are in a unique position to breathe life into it. That is something that is promising...
Credit where credit is due. If they don't chase cheap Chinese toys until AFTER they make some great movies...I'm all in.

But as far as my pessimism... It's more or less common sense and two functioning eyes...

"New" Fantasyland is basically on the scale of a rather uneventful addition to Disneyland in the mid 60's...the "horn tooting" in the back of my head died down in about 10 minutes after entrance...

My personal new favorite is the " Carsland and Star Wars land is a go... Reliable source says"

Right... After spending a couple of billion on a park retrofit, two new overpriced cruiseship, and about 10 billion in IP acquisitions... Why not pour another couple of billion into the flagship resort that is already host to about 50 million annually and makes huge profits?

Why? Cause the "people want it"... Even if they use their wallets anyway...
Or cause they are so scared to death of the Hogwarts train across town that their market share might go from 78% to 77% of the market share?

This stuff is obvious to figure out... If you stop and think about it.
To be fair, The Clone Wars was well received both critically and by the fan community, and was widely regarded as the best Star Wars media since Return of the Jedi. Add to that the new Star Tours that opened in 2011, two huge and successful Star Wars Celebrations in Orlando in 2010 and 2012, as well as a hugely anticipated live action television show in development before the Disney acquisition, pretty much opposite of "adrift" or at a "low point".
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #60
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,873

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post

To be fair, The Clone Wars was well received both critically and by the fan community, and was widely regarded as the best Star Wars media since Return of the Jedi. Add to that the new Star Tours that opened in 2011, two huge and successful Star Wars Celebrations in Orlando in 2010 and 2012, as well as a hugely anticipated live action television show in development before the Disney acquisition, pretty much opposite of "adrift" or at a "low point".
To be fair...

You're reaching big time and you know it.

Conventions can't be held as an indicator of widespread popularity...nor can anything where there are fewer people in street clothes than in costume.

That live action show has been MIA since 2005...in fact...I can't even remember if Disney hasn't said that they'd pull the plug...did they?

And the clone wars is a nice cartoon show...but it is a cartoon show on Cartoon Network. And it was canned. And it had crappy characters from the crappy movies.

You're a fan...I get that. But from its height of domination of 25 years...it can't realistically be much lower. Even their consumer products are steadily declining...I have t seen an interesting new toy in 10 years...with the except of Legos based off the original movies.

It's just bad... It really is.

Two words: Angry Birds
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: