Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
abarnold
Mouseketeer

POP or AoA??

We are going to Disney for a cheerleading competition next March and we are already looking at trying to book rooms. Normally we stay at Shades of Green but we wanted to try something different. Currently we are torn between POP Century and the Little Mermaid rooms at AoA. We are looking at which overall resort is better- pools, dining, rooms etc... and I could read reviews all day long - but I figured I'd rather have your input!!

TIA

abarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
ktate82
DIS Veteran

We stayed at both (AoA once, POP twice) and were quite dissatisfied with POP. The rooms desperately need a deep clean (after they did a "good" clean, I took a wet washcloth and cleaned black gunk off the shower and tub faucets myself), staff wasn't very Disney friendly, and it just wasn't an enjoyable. AoA, however was great. Staff was amazing and polite, food court was great (get the smoothies!), rooms clean (and new). I would stay there again, but we bought DVC after our last POP stay.
Sept 2014 AKL, June 2014 SWW at OKW, Feb 2014 Disney Magic, Sept 2013 AKL, May 2013 POP, Dec 2012 AOA, Sept 2012 POP, Sept 2011 Poly, March 2011 Poly, Sept 2010 CBR, July 1995 off site (MK only), Aug 1987 off site (MK only)

ktate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

Opposite opinion here...I've stayed in both, Pop I think 4 times now.

I'm by no means a resort snob, but I was less than happy with AoA. INCREDIBLE theming for certain, but dysfunctional in too many other areas--particularly the food court. I also had issues with in room noise (and I am not a light sleeper) and even though I am a runner, it was a HIKE from LM rooms to main building.

Stay at Pop, but definitely walk over and visit AoA!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
*Fantasia*
Nothing beats a nice clean-clear cold ice water!
I could google and google all day and compare.. but I want to hear from you guys of your experience

I don't even know if my opinion here is valid because it's been awhile. We stayed at POP twice and both times, we enjoyed our stay. We were happy with the service. They were nice and friendly. We didn't have any problems with the room cleanliness. Everything was perfect. I would stay there again, but would also like to try AoA for their pool and also to say that we have stayed there.
CSR~2x~ '04-'04--- POFQ 3x~ '03-'04-'05--- WL~2x~ '04-'05--- Poly 2x~ '04-04

Disney Wonder Dec 2004--- HRH~ '03--- RPH 3x~'04-'04-'05
Offsite~ '83-'91-'94-'00-'04
*Fantasia* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
timandjanl
Mouseketeer

Never stayed at Pop but stayed in a Cars suite at AoA last November and loved it. The theming is great. Room was clean. If you can I would try to stay in the family suites. The LM rooms are pretty far from the main building.

Proud DVC Owner at SSR
timandjanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
abarnold
Mouseketeer

Thanks!! We wanted to stay in the AoA suites but they are just way too expensive, even with the military discount actually if I could afford it I would have stayed in a monorail resort just to say that we had since there's only 3 of us instead of our normal 6 lol

I guess another question would be are the corridors inside or outside? I tend to prefer indoor corridors but I could do either just wanted to be prepared

abarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
canoeingmonkey
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarnold View Post
I guess another question would be are the corridors inside or outside? I tend to prefer indoor corridors but I could do either just wanted to be prepared
All corridors at POP are outside. AoA has interior corridors for all three family suite sections but has exterior corridors in the LM standard room section.
canoeingmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
dpswift
DIS Veteran

If you are between AoA single rooms and POP I would say AoA. It is a nice new resort. The grounds and pools are much nicer than POP.
dpswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
::Snow_White::
Harry Potter =
They're not as unpredictable as house elves like Dobby!

We're here now and staying at Pop which is our favorite resort, but I'm gonna have to say go to AOA. The food court at Pop since the last time we came has been terrible and have walked the bridge just to eat at AOA the whole time we've been here. It's newer, and really nice. The only problem you might have is the distance from the food court.

First Disneyland Trip: November 2014!
'99--ASMo // '02--ASMo // '07--Pop // '10--POFQ & Pop
'12--CBR // '12--AOA & Pop // '13--POR & CSR // '13 AOA, POP, & BC
Fall 2013 Merchandise Disney College Program Cast Member!
::Snow_White:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #10
calnmace
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
Opposite opinion here...I've stayed in both, Pop I think 4 times now.

I'm by no means a resort snob, but I was less than happy with AoA. INCREDIBLE theming for certain, but dysfunctional in too many other areas--particularly the food court. I also had issues with in room noise (and I am not a light sleeper) and even though I am a runner, it was a HIKE from LM rooms to main building.

Stay at Pop, but definitely walk over and visit AoA!!!
This. Exactly this. The theming is awesome but we didn't care for the food court or the menu. Much preferred POP's service and food court. We ordered a sandwich for my daughter asked if they could leave the sauce off. Waited and waited. After 10 mins we asked them if we had been forgotten. I watched them make another maybe dozen sandwiches after I asked them. Totally ignored us. We had to go to another station where we again waited for her food for another 10 or so minutes. My husband and youngest daughter had finished eating (dessert included) by the time we got her food. I found the food court slow the whole time we were there. The little mermaid rooms are very nice but far from the main building. there are plenty of rooms at POP that are actually closer to AOA'S food court that the little mermaid rooms are.

I have stayed at POP many, many times and have never had an issue.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
fd1972uk
Mouseketeer

Remember if you don't stay in AoA you can't use the pool as you need keycard access.

We stayed at the LM section, Ariel building which you could deem is furthest away, it is only a short 5 minute stroll away (including wife and 7 year old girl) who never complained once, before and after parks, so no it isn't a 'hike' or 'trek' or anything like that, so don't worry on that front.

I do quite fancy staying in PoP as well, but defo would give both a look no matter what you decide on, just a few minutes walk over the bridge.

FD
WDW Orlando: June 2013

fd1972uk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: