Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #31
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenne View Post
Oh good! I was planning on having my DH wear a $10 polo shirt and $15 khakis from Walmart. I was planning on wearing a $20 dress I got at H&M with a coupon! We were planning on wearing "church chic." Although any more, people wear jeans to church.

As for borrowing shoes, it's not something I'm a huge fan of, although I do rent bowling shoes when I bowl, so I guess it's not that much of a difference.

Rich or not, it doesn't mean you should blow it all on one outfit for just a few hours. But then again, I only spent a few hundred on my wedding dress instead of thousands. That's not to say I didn't drool over some of those gorgeous Monique Lhuillier or Reem Acra dresses.

This post just makes me want to crank up some ZZ Top's "Sharp Dressed Man."

Jill in CO
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLanes
Just don't wear a Canadian Tuxedo please...
you'll have to explain that one. I'm not familiar.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 PM   #33
Hook326
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bUg View Post
you'll have to explain that one. I'm not familiar.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android
I had to google it! Never heard it before either! Denim with more denim basically

https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...w=1024&bih=672
200?-Pop Century
August 2006-ASMovies
February 2009-ASMusic-1st trip with DS#1
September 2010-CBR
November 2011-POFQ-3rd trip with DS #1 & 1st trip with DS#2! Saw the World at Christmastime
November 2012-POFQ
September 2013-1st DCL trip & MNSSHP
Hook326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #34
Dizzyworld
DIS Veteran

Location: Towson, MD---930 miles too far from my happy place!

My DH doesn't even own a suit anymore. So he wore a sports coat and khakis. No problem. I was more concerned about what the chef thought about me and my food issues. Had wonderful meal both times.

Enjoy yourself at Remy. They were wonderful evenings.
Poly - 1/85, 6/02, 8/07, 8/08, 10/09 (Food & Wine Festival & MNSSHP), 8/10 ~~~ BC - 8/00, 7/09 ~~~ YC - 8/03 ~~~ WL - 12/02 ~~~ AKL - 8/04, 12/04 ~~~ Contemporary - 8/08 ~~~ Swan - 12/05, 8/06 ~~~ POFQ - 8/07 ~~~ Off-Site - 3/89

DCL Magic - 8/01 (Eastern), 8/04 (Eastern), 8/06 (Western- Double Dip), 7/09 (Eastern - Tortola)
DCL Wonder - 6/02, 8/07, 8/08 (Double Dip)

DCL Dream - B2B - 7/11 & 8/11, 3/13, 12/13
DCL Fantasy - 6/12 (Western)
Dizzyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 PM   #35
MrsMork
Proud Old Geezer

[QUOTE=rcchello;49110509]This is a Disney ship, we are not talking the QE II. Disney is selling to as broad a segment of society they posibly can. If you met the dress code, who is anyone to complain.

At least you show the taste of wanting to meet the dress code as opposed to someone whose husbands jeans are so expensive they should be exempt. You may not have as expensive clothes but at least you have a better attitude.

My hearing aids are more expensive than most peoples suits, should I BE ABLE TO GO TO Remys naked?[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnDisLover View Post
As mentioned above, at least you're wanting to meet the dress code requirements. Having just come off the 12 day Med cruise I was shocked by how many people could care less about the dress code. Every night I saw dozens of people in shorts for dinner, and that wasn't just in the dinning rooms, at my Palo dinner and brunch there were also people wearing shorts, flip flops and t-shirts. One thing about Disney, they don't like to say NO to anyone, which is a real shame.
I have seen people sent away from Palo to go change out of shorts on more than one occasion, both dinner and brunch.

Disney Cruise 1999, 2000, 2002, twice in 2003, 10 Day 2004, Dec 2005, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, WB PC May 2008,WBTA 2010,Alaska 2011,Hawaii 2012,WBPC May2013,Jan 2014,Oct 2104,Dec 2014
MrsMork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #36
cobright
DIS Veteran

I'm of two minds. I swing hammers for a living and far from a rich sears-avoiding diner.

Yet, I don't go to a nice restaurant so that I can get away with satisfying the minimums of the dress code.

I found an christian dior tux, new for a couple hundred bucks with fittings and alterations for life. I actually enjiy rolling into V&As in tails and white tie.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:48 AM   #37
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Khakis and jacket for Remy - that's more than good for me...

Now wear shorts and flip flops to MDRs and yeah, I'll give you the look... Wait - make that jeans and flip flops - ugh can't stand that...
'13 (POR), '13 (3n Magic)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #38
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Khakis and jacket for Remy - that's more than good for me...

Now wear shorts and flip flops to MDRs and yeah, I'll give you the look... Wait - make that jeans and flip flops - ugh can't stand that...
I know some people that try to get "the look". They get a kick out of getting strangers to react.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #39
P'colaBeachBum
Go 'Noles!

When my DH retired, after 32 years, from the Marine Corps....he got rid of his Blues and Mess Dress uniforms and he doesn't own a suit. I got rid of all my gowns, cocktail dresses, and heels...don't even own a dress now. We are Native Floridians and Beachbums and when we will go on our cruise we will not be "dressing" up to eat. No formal wear for us. What you most feel comfortable in ...wear it. Don't worry about what others think. A sport coat and nice khakis are acceptable..imho.

Last edited by P'colaBeachBum; 07-30-2013 at 12:17 PM.
P'colaBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #40
mordecai
Mouseketeer

All this kidding aside...

I completely get what OP is saying, it can be hard to not be self conscious as I've had the exact thoughts before. Sometimes comments on these boards can make you feel like you're at the low end of the money totem pole even if people don't mean it to sound that way. Keep in mind people from all walks like to go on a cruise which I think is why the dress code is in place; to give you a guideline and make you feel comfortable because everyone is somewhat uniform. This is also why I don't think they are hardcore at enforcing these rules in the MDRs (and people seem to get their panties in a bunch about this ) as long as you are within the guidelines and everyone is comfortable with it, you're ok.

The best thing I can do is tell you to be yourself, be comfortable in your skin and try (because I know it's hard) to not worry about whoever is looking at you and what they're thinking. I really only have one set of dress clothes, it's not expensive and it probably doesn't fit right but my priorities aren't throwing money at expensive clothes so much as having a good time.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM   #41
steveyjc81
Mouseketeer

Here's a question - so you have to wear a jacket TO Remy. Can you take it off once seated? I often get uncomfortable dining with a jacket on.
steveyjc81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #42
hubbard53
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook326 View Post
I had to google it! Never heard it before either! Denim with more denim basically

https://www.google.com/search?q=cana...w=1024&bih=672
oh my. can't believe I missed that term...

Anyway, I think I wore more of a sports jacket with slacks rather than a 'suit'.

to be honest, if i WERE to lose focus on my date and food and did notice the couture of fellow diners, I would be more apt to stare the silly Tux and Gowns.

This is a cruise chip after all and disney to boot.

I dont even care about other diners in the MDRs... heck, I think I wore shorts and polo shirt to a couple dinner services. guess I was the schlub of the dinning room
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:25 PM   #43
sweetpee_1993
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
The best thing I can do is tell you to be yourself, be comfortable in your skin and try (because I know it's hard) to not worry about whoever is looking at you and what they're thinking. I really only have one set of dress clothes, it's not expensive and it probably doesn't fit right but my priorities aren't throwing money at expensive clothes so much as having a good time.

Amen!

To the OP, my husband wore his average-Joe khaki pants, blue shirt, and sports coat ($100-ish) to Remy and was fine. Wear what you have. Don't worry about the rest. It's all good.

I'd like to share a bit of my Remy dinner experience with you because I think it lends some perspective to the uncomfortable factor in the whole Remy dining thing. I'm not a very fancy girl. I wear dresses when I'm on cruises but otherwise that's not the norm. I'm a cutoffs and flip flops girl thru & thru. When we sat down at our table in Remy I was instantly feeling out of my league. There was a nice upholstered stool to put my bag on! Wow! There were silverware pieces I'd never even seen. It was weird! So, here I am in my total un-sophistication-ified self and then we got the menus. Uh, yikes?! What was that stuff?! My husband instantly caught onto how I was feeling which was mildly amusing to him. He's been to Europe and really upscale places with his family in his younger years...places he had to have etiquette classes before he could go...you get the drift. So he knew what we were signed up for before I did. I managed to order my food with some help from the ever so nice waiter. I tried really hard not to make it obvious that I was totally clueless. Not sure how successful I was. Again, all of this was mildly amusing to my husband. So we're sitting there and I'm taking everything in. We inadvertently were listening in on the conversation of the couple at the table behind us. I swear to you it was like this couple was trying to out-do each other on the sophistication level. The lady talked about being in some fine restaurant in Europe somewhere....then the man started yapping about how he's had the opportunity to use 3 of the 5 languages he knows while on the ship....blah blah blah. I leaned over to my husband and said, "I think we made a mistake coming here. I'm miserable. I don't belong here." He chuckled and reassured me. He said I was the prettiest gal in the room and not to listen to the people behind us. He then started whispering little jokes to get me to laugh. I've got me a great fella. Still, I felt like a square peg in a big way and was anxious for the whole thing to be over with.

Then the waiter came and reset our table, removing everything whether used or not, and placing new flatware down. One piece was the weirdest looking thing to me. That's when I couldn't stand it any longer. I leaned towards the young man and said, "You're going to think I'm the most awful person ever because I'm truly a simple girl but I can't stand trying to pretend I'm something I'm not. What is THIS?!" And I held up the mystery piece of flatware. He smiled and told me what it was. I asked what it was for. He explained it with a smile. Very polite but I could tell he was also amused. He ended the explanation with, "Don't worry. Most of the pieces nobody ever uses anyway. They're just part of the service." That's when I had truly let my hair down and got back into my own skin. I had to ask, "So for every course are you going to pick everything up & put down all new stuff whether we've used it or not?" Yep. I smiled and said, "Wow, y'all must really like doing dishes!" The young man laughed a little and replied, "Well, polishing the silverware does give us something to do each day." And we became friends.

From there on out I was relaxed. We laughed. If I had a question, no matter how uncouth, I asked. I really think our waiter became more relaxed and enjoyed us as much as we enjoyed him. I was able to enjoy my meal. Heck, after I finally let down the act it seemed like the people behind us with their sophisitacation contest got more laid-back and relaxed as well. It was all good. We were the last couple in the main Remy dining room. The chef came out and several other wait staff came to chit-chat with us. We spent a solid half hour or so with Chef Patrick talking about Southern & Cajun foods, things we know about and enjoy. It was fun!

The point is, no matter now unformal you are, don't allow yourself to be affected by the environment. You can still go and have a fabulous time even if you're an extremely laid-back soul. It was a grand experience, one I'm glad I did. The key is to not try to be what you aren't. Be yourself. You never know, others may appreciate the honesty and genuine-ness just as much as you do.

Go and enjoy. Don't worry about everyone else!
Disney Adventures: 1/04 POP, 1/05 POP, 2/06 POP, 1/07 POP, 12/07 CR, 5/08 POFQ sans kids, 1/09 CR, 5/09 Poly w/o the family, 1/10 AKL, 11/10 POFQ, 9/11 WL+DCL Dream+YC, 5/12 DCL Magic, 9/12 DCL Dream sans kids, 1/13 DCL Magic, 5/13 DCL Fantasy, 9/13 DCL Dream w/friends, 9/13 DCL Fantasy sans kids

Other Adventures:
11/13 RCI Allure of the Seas

Future Adventures:
4/14 Disneyland!
sweetpee_1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:29 PM   #44
cobright
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyjc81 View Post
Here's a question - so you have to wear a jacket TO Remy. Can you take it off once seated? I often get uncomfortable dining with a jacket on.
It should be left on but should be unbuttoned. If the host is visible, follow his or her lead.
cobright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #45
hubbard53
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee_1993 View Post
AI swear to you it was like this couple was trying to out-do each other on the sophistication level.
We've found that those who are OVERTLY classy or sophisticated are anything but and going through the motions they've learned form watching movies and TV.
hubbard53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: