Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 08:45 AM   #1
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

SW EBCI or family boarding?

Hello,

I've never flown SW before but am considering it for our upcoming trip in October. We are a family of 5, DH, myself, DD6, DD2 and DD1. DD1 will be a lap baby. So basically we will need 2 sets of 2 seats next to each other (one for myself, DD1 and DD6, and one for DH and DD2). Ideally I would want DH and DD2 right behind the rest of us so that if DD2 accidentally kicks a seat, she's kicking ours, but if we end up on opposite ends of the plane that's fine too.

So having never flown SW before I'm just not sure if I need to buy the ebci or not. I will be able to check in at the 24 hour mark. Also, I imagine we qualify for family boarding... so what are the odds of our getting the 2 sets of 2 seats without paying for EBCI? I'll pay for it if it's necessary but it would be nice to not have to pay an extra $100ish if we don't have to.

We are flying a direct flight from Rochester to MCO if that makes any difference...

Thanks!
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #2
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Given that each "set" that needs two seats together has a child that qualifies for family boarding (at least I think the lap baby still qualifies, I believe I have seen lap children using family boarding before) I wouldn't bother EBCI.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

MCO has so many young families on flights that they often don't do family boarding because half the passengers on board would qualify for it.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
MCO has so many young families on flights that they often don't do family boarding because half the passengers on board would qualify for it.
While it is true that gate agents can suspend family boarding if there are too many families to make it practical, it is an overstatement to say that it happens "often."

I would not rely on family boarding being available and skip the check in at the 24-hour mark, as that could get you stuck late in the boarding process. But IMO you should be fine without EBCI in your situation as long as you do the check in at 24 hours.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

We fly Southwest 2-3 times a year to Orlando and we have never once been on a flight where they suspended family boarding. I know it can happen, but we have never experienced it. The few times I have heard about it, is on "charter" type flights on Southwest.

I agree with PP's....check in at 24 hours and then use family boarding if you don't get A boarding passes and you will be fine without EBCI. We have never used it and have always gotten together as a family.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I've never seen it totally suspended either. I have seen them restrict it to parents and siblings only. Not grandparents, aunts, etc. In fact, they threw a couple grandparents out of the line on my last flight when they tried to board with the family during family boarding.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I have seen family boarding limited to those using car seats. Everyone else had to board in their slot. BUT, that was only one time. There were about 35 people that wanted to do family boarding and the gate agent suspended it due to the number of people.
Your entire family 'should' be able to do family boarding together. There are two kids that are the right age foe family boarding, so that would be one parent per under age 4 child. I doubt that they are going to make the 6 y/o board alone!! So you'll all board together, in between the A and B groups.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
mkarizona
DIS Veteran

Even B boarding passes should get you two sets of 2 seats together.
mkarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestocost View Post
While it is true that gate agents can suspend family boarding if there are too many families to make it practical, it is an overstatement to say that it happens "often."

I would not rely on family boarding being available and skip the check in at the 24-hour mark, as that could get you stuck late in the boarding process. But IMO you should be fine without EBCI in your situation as long as you do the check in at 24 hours.
IF it happens to the poster on here then it's going to be ugly. Too many small kids

Personally I would do EBCI for the flight home. People tend to forget to check in right at 24 hours when running around Disney!
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Greenfield1984
DIS Veteran

Thank you all for your input on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
IF it happens to the poster on here then it's going to be ugly. Too many small kids

Personally I would do EBCI for the flight home. People tend to forget to check in right at 24 hours when running around Disney!
I was actually thinking of doing that just in case I forget to check in while we're running around the parks. Good idea
October 2011: ASMo with DD4 and DD7months
October 2009: POP with DD2
February 2009: AKL with DD 18mos
April 2007: ASMo HONEYMOON!
December 2005: Off site - Big Family Vacation
August 2000
Summer 1991
Fav rides:Carousel of Progress, Figment, Tower of Terror, Timekeeper (RIP), Nemo Musical
Fav Park: EPCOT
Greenfield1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post

I agree with both points. We can all guess and say the OP should be fine. However none of us can guarantee it. There is a bit of a risk not using EBCI. Only the OP can say if saving the money is worth a bit of risk.

But I think using EBCI just for the hassle of not having to remember to check in would be worth the cost.
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: