Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #391
taliasmom
Mouseketeer
 
taliasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: mojave, ca
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4pmama
How have families with toddlers in tow handled naps during their wish trips? DS will be 23 months on our trip in Nov. He's 19 months now and naps once a day usually in the morning after being up about 3 hours. We are on the west coast, so between the time change, age change, and MAW magical fun-filled days, I'm stuck with how to work in his naps in my plans. If we stick to an AM nap, I worry he won't go down because its 3 hours ahead of normal from the time change. Midday would be better. Winging it kinda scares me! Ha! How have other families approached this?

Ramona naps too, but in that regard she's easy. She can sleep any old time during the day! Night is rough at times, but naps are always good!
I was thinking the wish lounge for Talia's feeds, naps might work there too. But as far as non Disney parks, I don't know. I think we will spend afternoons at gktw in the villa due to the heat and do the parks morning and evenings, naps can get worked in that way. I'm trying not to over plan and remain flexible, it's hard, lol.
__________________
Charolott in Mojave, Ca. Mom toTalia (wish kid), 7,and Reno, 18, brother,Link, , Daddy
Come read Talia's pre-trip report!!
Talia's Make-a-Wish Vacation, Aug. 2013
taliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #392
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer
 
Jessicalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 177

Hi, I am Jessica and I have been lurking for awhile, but we finally got our dates for our MAW trip today, so I am going to introduce myself. My daughter is Jordyn, and her brother is Jeremy. Jordyn is my wish kid and she was diagnosed on June 12th, 2012 with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. We are going on our wish trip on October 4th, 2013, and are super excited to get away and enjoy ourselves!

Here is my daughter:


Here is my son:
__________________
Mommy Jessica and Daddy Jacob
Wish kid Jordyn Age 4 and Jeremy Age 2
Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093827

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #393
taliasmom
Mouseketeer
 
taliasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: mojave, ca
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicalynne
Hi, I am Jessica and I have been lurking for awhile, but we finally got our dates for our MAW trip today, so I am going to introduce myself. My daughter is Jordyn, and her brother is Jeremy. Jordyn is my wish kid and she was diagnosed on June 12th, 2012 with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. We are going on our wish trip on October 4th, 2013, and are super excited to get away and enjoy ourselves!

Here is my daughter:

Here is my son:
Welcome! Cute kids, and great dates! Perfect time of year, I'm a bit jealous!
__________________
Charolott in Mojave, Ca. Mom toTalia (wish kid), 7,and Reno, 18, brother,Link, , Daddy
Come read Talia's pre-trip report!!
Talia's Make-a-Wish Vacation, Aug. 2013
taliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #394
JasmineOtt
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 32

Wish Granters!

Hi, my name is Jasmine and we are just at the beginning of our journey with my brother Jesse's wish trip. We have a date to meet with his Wish Granters! August 11th. I have so many questions to ask. Jesse is non verbal, and we are worried they'll think we're asking for things that we want, not what he would want. How does a wish granter visit normally go? What should we expect and what questions should we ask?

Thank you,
Jasmine
JasmineOtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #395
taliasmom
Mouseketeer
 
taliasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: mojave, ca
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineOtt
Hi, my name is Jasmine and we are just at the beginning of our journey with my brother Jesse's wish trip. We have a date to meet with his Wish Granters! August 11th. I have so many questions to ask. Jesse is non verbal, and we are worried they'll think we're asking for things that we want, not what he would want. How does a wish granter visit normally go? What should we expect and what questions should we ask?

Thank you,
Jasmine
Talia is non verbal, she really doesn't communicate much other than smiles or crying,(she doesn't walk or have use of her hands either) they understand, and are really cool about working with the family. I didn't need to stress half as much as I did.
__________________
Charolott in Mojave, Ca. Mom toTalia (wish kid), 7,and Reno, 18, brother,Link, , Daddy
Come read Talia's pre-trip report!!
Talia's Make-a-Wish Vacation, Aug. 2013
taliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:27 PM   #396
taliasmom
Mouseketeer
 
taliasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: mojave, ca
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineOtt
Hi, my name is Jasmine and we are just at the beginning of our journey with my brother Jesse's wish trip. We have a date to meet with his Wish Granters! August 11th. I have so many questions to ask. Jesse is non verbal, and we are worried they'll think we're asking for things that we want, not what he would want. How does a wish granter visit normally go? What should we expect and what questions should we ask?

Thank you,
Jasmine
Oh, and Welcome!
__________________
Charolott in Mojave, Ca. Mom toTalia (wish kid), 7,and Reno, 18, brother,Link, , Daddy
Come read Talia's pre-trip report!!
Talia's Make-a-Wish Vacation, Aug. 2013
taliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #397
JasmineOtt
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 32

Thank you!

Thank you!

Jesse is the same way, non verbal, cannot walk. He is 18 years old and 50lbs. But he smiles. He rarely cries, except in extreme situations. He loves visual and auditory stimulation. Big, bright colors, and loud music and noises. We went to Disneyland December 2010 and were amazed by how much he was able to do there. So we think that Disney World is perfect for his wish. We would never be able to afford it ourselves, even just the cost of flying with everything he needs. He's on the Ketogenic diet for seizure control and is tube fed. He is also on oxygen a lot of the time. I'm sure MAW is used to flying kids with all of their equipment, but we're not! Jesse's never been on a commercial plane. He did have a life flight in 2009, but that's a different story.

Anyways, we're so excited! Has anyone asked to stay anywhere other than GKTW? When we first found out Jesse was getting a MAW we started dreaming around the internet about what we would do. We hadn't heard about GKTW yet, and saw the new Art of Animation Resort and thought Jesse would absolutely LOVE that. We also thought it would be easier to stay onsite.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
JasmineOtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #398
taliasmom
Mouseketeer
 
taliasmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: mojave, ca
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineOtt
Thank you!

Jesse is the same way, non verbal, cannot walk. He is 18 years old and 50lbs. But he smiles. He rarely cries, except in extreme situations. He loves visual and auditory stimulation. Big, bright colors, and loud music and noises. We went to Disneyland December 2010 and were amazed by how much he was able to do there. So we think that Disney World is perfect for his wish. We would never be able to afford it ourselves, even just the cost of flying with everything he needs. He's on the Ketogenic diet for seizure control and is tube fed. He is also on oxygen a lot of the time. I'm sure MAW is used to flying kids with all of their equipment, but we're not! Jesse's never been on a commercial plane. He did have a life flight in 2009, but that's a different story.

Anyways, we're so excited! Has anyone asked to stay anywhere other than GKTW? When we first found out Jesse was getting a MAW we started dreaming around the internet about what we would do. We hadn't heard about GKTW yet, and saw the new Art of Animation Resort and thought Jesse would absolutely LOVE that. We also thought it would be easier to stay onsite.

Any info is greatly appreciated!
We took Talia to Disneyland early last year, and yes, she too just lit up while we were there. So yes, no other wish made sense to us. She is tube fed formula but on meds for seizures, suction, but no oxygen. The flights aren't always easy, but they can be done. You can request off site placement, but I know it costs less for families to stay at gktw. I've heard of it though. It is a nice resort(AoA).
__________________
Charolott in Mojave, Ca. Mom toTalia (wish kid), 7,and Reno, 18, brother,Link, , Daddy
Come read Talia's pre-trip report!!
Talia's Make-a-Wish Vacation, Aug. 2013
taliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #399
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer
 
Jessicalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 177

What are some absolutely can't miss things to do by and at Disney World? My daughter is 4 and my son is 2 and a half. Only my hubby has been before.

Also, what are some fun things to do to prepare for Disney? I have heard the chain thing, and that sounds easy and super fun, and I think we will do a Disney movie or two a week to lead up to it, but I really want to come up with some more fun things to do. What have you all done to get the kids super excited about the trip? I may do a theme night with each movie, but I would love other ideas to really make this trip and the time leading up to it really special for my little ones. I want them to really get Disney and who the characters are and everything. Is there a thread somewhere that you know of or something that I could look at for ideas? Maybe something to help me figure out what to do for my Disney themed nights, or activities to do that are Disney themed?
__________________
Mommy Jessica and Daddy Jacob
Wish kid Jordyn Age 4 and Jeremy Age 2
Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093827

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #400
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer
 
Jessicalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 177

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the title of a thread I started for my pre-trip report?
Thanks!
__________________
Mommy Jessica and Daddy Jacob
Wish kid Jordyn Age 4 and Jeremy Age 2
Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093827

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #401
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicalynne View Post
Does anyone know if it is possible to change the title of a thread I started for my pre-trip report?
Thanks!
HI,

Yes you can change the title. I did it every time I posted an update so people who were reading could follow along.

Go to the 1st post in your thread.
Scroll down to the bottom right of you post.
Click edit.
Then click "Go Advanced"
Then you can scroll back up to the title and change the title.

Happy Planning,

Madeline
__________________
Me Madeline Wife, Mom, & 1st Grade Teacher Extraordinare Husband Jason Michael 15 Mallory 5

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #402
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicalynne View Post
What are some absolutely can't miss things to do by and at Disney World? My daughter is 4 and my son is 2 and a half. Only my hubby has been before.

Also, what are some fun things to do to prepare for Disney? I have heard the chain thing, and that sounds easy and super fun, and I think we will do a Disney movie or two a week to lead up to it, but I really want to come up with some more fun things to do. What have you all done to get the kids super excited about the trip? I may do a theme night with each movie, but I would love other ideas to really make this trip and the time leading up to it really special for my little ones. I want them to really get Disney and who the characters are and everything. Is there a thread somewhere that you know of or something that I could look at for ideas? Maybe something to help me figure out what to do for my Disney themed nights, or activities to do that are Disney themed?

Hi,

Congratulations on your wish trip! I know that it will be awesome!!!

We live in California and were Season Pass holders to Disneyland, so we came to the wish trip with that in mind. We focused on the rides and activities that we had not been on at Disneyland. We loved have lunch with Cinderella that was a highlight. Our family loves animals so we really enjoyed Animal Kingdom and the Nemo Aquarium at Epcot, as well as Sea World. Our favorite parks were the Universal parks. They really put out the red carpet for us, it was awesome!! I think it is a good idea to get lots of opinions and then take your families interest into account!!

For us the biggest can't miss things for our Wish Trip were the activities at Give Kids the World. While we were planning I didn't know how great it would be at Give Kids the World, so I didn't really focus much on spending time their. From the beginning of our trip it became clear that GKTW was AMAZING, so we ended up coming back from the parks early so we wouldn't miss the nights activities. For us GKTW was our biggest must do!!

For getting ready I read Trip reports to get ideas for Disney Family Movie Nights. I ended up only doing 2 but they were really fun. What I did was went to a craft store to find fun crafts that matched a Disney movie. We made the craft and then watched the movie together. Some families get really into it and make whole dinner parties around the theme. I didn't quite get that far.

Here is a picture of the countdown calendar we had. It was a fun way to count down to Disney.

It had here favorite treats (Kit Kats and Rice Crispy Treats). She pulled off one each day for 30 days before our trip.


Let me know if you have any other questions.
__________________
Me Madeline Wife, Mom, & 1st Grade Teacher Extraordinare Husband Jason Michael 15 Mallory 5

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46


Last edited by Redwavess; 08-02-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #403
Redwavess
Mallory's Magical Wish
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 427

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineOtt View Post
Hi, my name is Jasmine and we are just at the beginning of our journey with my brother Jesse's wish trip. We have a date to meet with his Wish Granters! August 11th. I have so many questions to ask. Jesse is non verbal, and we are worried they'll think we're asking for things that we want, not what he would want. How does a wish granter visit normally go? What should we expect and what questions should we ask?

Thank you,
Jasmine
Hi,

I am so happy you all are getting to experience the Make a Wish process. I remember when we were waiting for our Wish Granters to come it was an exciting time for sure. Like you we had questions about the process. You will likely have no trouble with this process as Make a Wish is used to granting wishes of kids at all ability levels. They will know that you know your brother best and want him to have a great wish trip.

The questions they ask are:

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you wish to go?
If you could meet anyone in the world who would you wish to meet?
If you have anything in the world what would you wish to have?
If you could be anything what you wish to be?

When our Wish Granters came they gave our daughter and our son a gift. They talked about her wishes and then saw her room (she asked them to come take a look).

They don't really have details about the wish to share, but you could tell them your concerns with staying at Give Kids the World and ask if there would be the possibility of your family stay on site.

Best wishes for a super trip,

Madeline
__________________
Me Madeline Wife, Mom, & 1st Grade Teacher Extraordinare Husband Jason Michael 15 Mallory 5

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2602026 Mallory Makes a Magical Wish! -- UPDATE -- I wish for... Rudolph!? pg. 4 Post #46

Redwavess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #404
Jessicalynne
Mouseketeer
 
Jessicalynne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 177

Redwavess/Madeline: Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I love the idea of a candy countdown or my daughter's favorite treat type countdown! I think she would absolutely love it! I also really appreciate you telling me how to change my thread title since the old one didn't really fit anymore and I didn't want to have to create a new one. I am going to read through some of your trip report, and I will probably try to find some others to read through too, seeing as I haven't read through them as much lately since we hadn't heard from our wish granters, but I am excited to hear more about people's Disney trips again, especially now that ours is getting closer and seems more like a reality now! Thanks again!
__________________
Mommy Jessica and Daddy Jacob
Wish kid Jordyn Age 4 and Jeremy Age 2
Pre-trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3093827

Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jordy...25730070799917
Jordyn's blog: www.triumphingoverall.blogspot.com
Jessicalynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #405
kritter47
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 89

Wish interviews for non-verbal kids are a little bit different than those for verbal kids.

As a wish granter, what I like to see is a parent going in with an open mind as we talk through options. They may already have a "I know my child will like this best" wish in mind, and that's great. But don't become focused on that wish to the exclusion of all other possibilities. And don't try to steer every question to that single wish (so if I asked "What does your child respond to positively?" say "Bright colors, big shapes, uptempo music" and not "Costumed characters and Disney music!" unless only Disney music brings out certain responses). Our whole goal is to make sure, to the best of our ability, that we are going to grant your child's one true wish, and we take a lot of ways to get there. Just because we ask about other possibilities doesn't mean we're trying to make you choose something else.

Also remember that your child's doctor must approve the wish, which the WGs have no control over.

As far as GKTW, it's definitely worth a look on their website to see what it's about. And it will likely have a lot more handicapped accessible attractions for your child than AoA, as nice as it is. "Easy" depends on what you're looking for. The drive will be shorter, but the room will be much smaller. The free food options will not be there, and there are a ton of special experiences at GKTW that just cannot be replicated at even the most awesome Disney resort. My suggestion would be to pinpoint why you want to stay there over somewhere else, then research GKTW and see if that helps your concerns. And as with anything else, always ask your Wish Granters about it.
kritter47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: