Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
the_bUg
Mouseketeer

So, I'm a "cheap suit" kinda guy

So, I've been hemming and hawing about making reservations for Remy. A while back on the boards I remember seeing in a thread discussing dining attire a post to the effect of "why can't my husband wear jeans, his jeans are worth more than most ppls cheap suits I see".

Don't know why it bothered me so much, but it did. Now, I manage a lumber yard and do inventory and commodity purchasing for it. Not really a suit and tie type of job. I do have a suit jacket, worn about 5 times in the last 3 years that I purchased out of a Sears catalog (a retailer, don't know if y'all have them in the states) before going to see The Phantom of the Opera. About a 100$ jacket. The fit is not perfect, but pretty close and it's a standard black affair hanging in the closet in a garment bag. I have lots of dress slacks. I wear them daily as I feel it's important to look professional in any work environment.

What I'm wondering is if I will stick out like a sore thumb in an environment where the "haves" like to stare and think about how much more money they have than the shabby "have nots".

Maybe I'm just being too self conscious about the whole thing, but I've seriously doubted dining at Remy or have considered spending money on a Tux rental when in my mind I have suitably dressy attire.

So, I guess the question is, are there any other "cheap suit" kinda guys that have dined there and had a good experience, or did you feel out of place. Maybe I should just do the Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic thing and be the beggar at the feast.

*** side note *** This post has more to do with my own feelings than stereotyping the wealthy, please don't take offense.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
rcchello
DIS Veteran

This is a Disney ship, we are not talking the QE II. Disney is selling to as broad a segment of society they posibly can. If you met the dress code, who is anyone to complain.

At least you show the taste of wanting to meet the dress code as opposed to someone whose husbands jeans are so expensive they should be exempt. You may not have as expensive clothes but at least you have a better attitude.

My hearing aids are more expensive than most peoples suits, should I BE ABLE TO GO TO Remys naked?

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Who knows???

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
abdgeek
DIS Veteran

Go to Remy and wear your suit coat--DON'T RENT A TUX!!! I'm not a man, but I'm eating at Remy for the first time this month and I won't be super dressed up. I'm wearing dress slacks and a top which is what I always wear to Palo. I don't even bring the blazer to my suit anymore because it's not needed. I've seen plenty of women without them and dressed in various ways--some have dressy dresses, some dress slacks, and some have more casual dresses on.

I know Palo isn't Remy, but the men I've see at Palo for dinner usually have on a pair of slacks and a jacket. I even saw one man who had on what I called casual khakis and no jacket. He didn't seem to be phased by what others were wearing and you shouldn't be either!

When I ate at Victoria & Albert's at WDW, most men were dressed in slacks and a jacket. To me, V&A is on par with Remy. Enjoy Remy and have fun. Whatever you would wear for formal/semi-formal night on the ship(jacket and slacks) should be ok.
abdgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bUg View Post
So, I've been hemming and hawing about making reservations for Remy. A while back on the boards I remember seeing in a thread discussing dining attire a post to the effect of "why can't my husband wear jeans, his jeans are worth more than most ppls cheap suits I see".

Don't know why it bothered me so much, but it did. Now, I manage a lumber yard and do inventory and commodity purchasing for it. Not really a suit and tie type of job. I do have a suit jacket, worn about 5 times in the last 3 years that I purchased out of a Sears catalog (a retailer, don't know if y'all have them in the states) before going to see The Phantom of the Opera. About a 100$ jacket. The fit is not perfect, but pretty close and it's a standard black affair hanging in the closet in a garment bag. I have lots of dress slacks. I wear them daily as I feel it's important to look professional in any work environment.

What I'm wondering is if I will stick out like a sore thumb in an environment where the "haves" like to stare and think about how much more money they have than the shabby "have nots".

Maybe I'm just being too self conscious about the whole thing, but I've seriously doubted dining at Remy or have considered spending money on a Tux rental when in my mind I have suitably dressy attire.

So, I guess the question is, are there any other "cheap suit" kinda guys that have dined there and had a good experience, or did you feel out of place. Maybe I should just do the Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic thing and be the beggar at the feast.

*** side note *** This post has more to do with my own feelings than stereotyping the wealthy, please don't take offense.
You can absolutely wear what you describe. Really, it won't be a problem and you will not have people staring at you. There really is no aarmy of "haves" staring down at the "have nots". Onboard you will see every type of attire. The cruise is much more casual than you might think. You will be fine in Remy in your "cheap suit" lol!!!. Go and enjoy.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
CdnDisLover
Earning My Ears

As mentioned above, at least you're wanting to meet the dress code requirements. Having just come off the 12 day Med cruise I was shocked by how many people could care less about the dress code. Every night I saw dozens of people in shorts for dinner, and that wasn't just in the dinning rooms, at my Palo dinner and brunch there were also people wearing shorts, flip flops and t-shirts. One thing about Disney, they don't like to say NO to anyone, which is a real shame.
CdnDisLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Cruise
Wake up, your month is up!;)

Quote:

My biggest question for you would be.... why would you care what they're thinking? What you describe sounds fine to me and, from the response above, many others.

Go to Remy, enjoy the good food, stare at your beautiful companion, enjoy the scenery.... don't bother looking at what anyone else is wearing. Anyone who is looking at you and judging your clothing has a warped sense of enjoying a vacation.

Cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:

On one of our cruises we met a family in the game room and played games with them. Later that night we saw them at dinner and they were dressed to kill! They were wearing very formal tailored tuxedos and evening gowns. Our slouchy family were in Kakis and dress shirts from JC Penny. But clothes do not indicate 'haves' and 'have-nots'. I suspect our household income was easily 3 or 4x theirs.....but we are simple country folk and put value in different things.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
Kez250
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcchello View Post
My hearing aids are more expensive than most peoples suits, should I BE ABLE TO GO TO Remys naked?

To the OP, what you're thinking of wearing is perfectly acceptable, smart, comfortable. The aim is to enjoy the food and the company, which you will.
Kez250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
kathi
DIS Veteran

You will be absolutely perfect in what you describe. Go, have a fantastic time and don't give it another moment of worry.
kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
PrincessTrisha
I know what he won't do for love.
Tootsie Pottynose - Hey I kinda like the tootsie part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
On one of our cruises we met a family in the game room and played games with them. Later that night we saw them at dinner and they were dressed to kill! They were wearing very formal tailored tuxedos and evening gowns. Our slouchy family were in Kakis and dress shirts from JC Penny. But clothes do not indicate 'haves' and 'have-nots'. I suspect our household income was easily 3 or 4x theirs.....but we are simple country folk and put value in different things.
So true.

and BTW, my dad has a tux - it cost the same as your suit jacket ($100), he got it when Sid Silver was going out of business - for his $100 he got 2 pairs of pants, a shirt, a vest and the jacket.

He may be dressed to the 9's but he would not consider himself in the "have" category - his tux was just good timing.
PrincessTrisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:

As a rich person, I take offense that you assume I care about other people while I'm at dinner.

To answer your questions, you should be fine with what you plan on wearing. No one will care; particulary us rich. Also, we don't have Sears in the US anymore; however, they seem to be big in Canada. The Sears in downtown Toronto is very nice. Almost nice enough for rich people to shop at.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
gumbypee
DIS Veteran

There are sears in us
gumbypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #13
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Go

I just don't care about strangers. If it is something I want to do I do it.
I'm there to eat good food and enjoy the company of my table mates. If they let me in the front door then I assume I met the dress code.
If what I wore gives other diners something to talk so be it. I never notice what others are wearing (unless its something way out there meant to draw attention) let alone have a comment about it.
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #14
Wadekind
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post
As a rich person, I take offense that you assume I care about other people while I'm at dinner.

To answer your questions, you should be fine with what you plan on wearing. No one will care; particulary us rich. Also, we don't have Sears in the US anymore; however, they seem to be big in Canada. The Sears in downtown Toronto is very nice. Almost nice enough for rich people to shop at.

Enjoy your cruise!

Mike
Stop giving away all of our dining and retail secrets to the less enriched!
Wadekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

My husband does not own a suit or jacket or anything at all (can't pull the trigger - keeps hoping to lose more weight and doesn't want to waste money) and rented for our Remy experience. His shoes were far too big and the shirt/jacket did not fit well at all - no one gave us a second glance or twitch of the eye. Everyone was very kind and we had a fabulous meal!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: