Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #1996
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

#36 done - The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan.
In 1967, Bashir Al-Khayri, a Palestinian twenty-five-year-old, journeyed to Israel, with the goal of seeing the beloved old stone house, with the lemon tree behind it, that he and his family had fled nineteen years earlier. To his surprise, when he found the house he was greeted by Dalia Ashkenazi Landau, a nineteen-year-old Israeli college student, whose family fled Europe for Israel following the Holocaust. On the stoop of their shared home, Dalia and Bashir began a rare friendship, forged in the aftermath of war and tested over the next thirty-five years in ways that neither could imagine on that summer day in 1967. Based on extensive research, and springing from his enormously resonant documentary that aired on NPR's Fresh Air in 1998, Sandy Tolan brings the Israeli-Palestinian conflict down to its most human level, suggesting that even amid the bleakest political realities there exist stories of hope and reconciliation.
This was a good book based on a true story, although it got dry in a couple of places. Definitely a book to make you think.
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:24 AM   #1997
GaBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle
#22 - Obsessed by Ted Dekker

Oh my! One of the best books I have read in a long time. Highly recommended especially if you like Ted Dekker. Great book!

Stephen Friedman is making a good living in good times. He's just an ordinary guy. Or so he thinks.
But one day an extraordinary piece of information tells him differently. It's a clue from the grave of a Holocaust survivor. A clue that makes him heir to an incredible fortune . . . a clue that only he and one other man can possibly understand.
That man is Roth Braun, a serial killer who has been waiting for Stephen for thirty years. Roth was stopped once before. This time nothing will get in his way.

#23 - Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

The basis for the story was good but I struggled with the book. It isn't a long story but James manages to draw it out and the characters I really wanted to read about didn't play main roles.

In their six years of marriage, Elizabeth and Darcy have forged a peaceful, happy life for their family at Pemberley, Darcys impressive estate. Her father is a regular visitor; her sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; the marriage prospects for Darcys sister, Georgiana, are favorable. And preparations for their annual autumn ball are proceeding apace. But on the eve of the ball, chaos descends. Lydia Wickham, Elizabeths disgraced sister who, with her husband, has been barred from the estate, arrives in a hysterical stateshrieking that Wickham has been murdered. Plunged into frightening mystery and a lurid murder trial, the lives of Pemberleys owners and servants alike may never be the same.
I've been on the fence about Death comes to Pemberley as I am a huge Jane Austen fan.
Does the author do her justice?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #1998
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I LOVE Sophie Kinsella books. Think "I Love Lucy-The Book". Another good one, cheaper on Kindle is "My Big Fake Irish Life" by Caitlin McKenna. I thought that was similar in style. I just got another of McKenna's books, but I haven't read it yet, so I can't recommend it. But I really hope it's another in the Sophie Kinsella style.
#38 - My Big Fake Irish Life - cute and I agree, similar in style. Nice, easy summer read. It would make a cute movie!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #1999
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
I've been on the fence about Death comes to Pemberley as I am a huge Jane Austen fan.
I think so, but I'm also a huge P. D. James fan, and I love a mystery.

For a different, but interesting, take on Jane Austen, I recommend a book by Robert Rodi, Bi**h in a Bonnet. He's a fan, but he challenges the notion the Austen is the goddess of chick-lit and "exposes" her as the premier satirist of her century. He had me laughing out loud on every other page. I wrote a review on page 132, post 1973 of this thread.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #2000
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBelle View Post
Not in my opinion. But if you would like the book, I will be happy to mail it too you media mail -- no charge. Just let me know. I have no interest in keeping it. (It's a hardback with the jacket cover)
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #2001
KrazyPete
skeleton

Goal - 24 books

Book #15 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - I flew through this one pretty quick because it was really hard to put down. At first, I could find no protagonist. I didn't like any of the characters but was still being pulled into the story. By the end of the book, I still didn't like any of the characters but I understood why and I appreciated the way they were developed. I know some people don't like the ending itself. It's not a gratifying conclusion but at least it's not cliche. The author had several opportunities to take the easy out and she chose to give the story one more twist. Great Book!

Next up - Old Man's War by John Scalzi - I got this as a part of an indie publisher bundle (probably StoryBundle or Humble eBook Bundle) about a year ago. I'm not usually a big fan of sci-fi. The summary makes it sound like "Ender's Game" with senior citizens. The reviews are high but my expectations are low.
KrazyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #2002
portia9
DIS Veteran

Haven't been here for a couple of weeks to post. I have been studying so doing lots of reading but not book type reading.

Goal 100

Book #79 The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Kate Morton books are great. Always a bit of mystery and very evocative.

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #2003
portia9
DIS Veteran

I believe there is a movie being made of Death Comes To Pemberley.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...y-casting.html

Book Challenge Goal for 2014-100 books

blueeyedboy~It Happened One Summer~Imperial Requiem~The Search for Anne Perry~A Sprig of Lavender~Pride and Prejudice:The Scenes Jane Austen Never Wrote~The Village Newcomers~The Mist on Bronte Moor~A Village in Jeopardy~The Next Best Thing~Village School~Life After Life~A Room of One's Own~The Rosie Project~Summertime~Cheaper By The Dozen~Belles on Their Toes~A Perfect Life~Kilmeny of the Orchard~The Real Life Mary Poppins~A Proud Taste of Scarlet and Miniver~Expectations of Happiness~The Last Wife of Henry VIII~Tempting Fate~The Rebuttal~A Storm of Swords~A Feast for Crows~A Dance of Dragons~Green Grass~Village Books~Searching for Shona~The Wonderful Wizard of Oz~The Marvelous Land of Oz~Ozma of Oz~The Maze Runner~Revenge Wears Prada~Captain Wentworth Home From the Sea~Mr Darcy's Great Escape~None But You~For You Alone~Tess of the D'urbervilles~The Pursuit of God~Is It Just Me?~Notes To My Mother-In-Law~The Little Friend~About the B'nai Bagels~Aunt Dimity's Death~Poldark~A Man Lay Dead~Attempting Elizabeth~Mrs Dalloway~The Mayor of Casterbridge~Speaking From Among the Bones~The Second Chance~Aunt Dimity and the Duke~Volunteering~The Fellowship of the Ring~The Two Towers~The Return of the King~Demelza~Innocence of Father Brown~The Lowland~The Europeans~North and South~Quartet in Autumn~Jane Eyre~Collected Works of A.J.Fikry~
portia9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #2004
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 26 of 30

Two Guys Detective Agency by Stephanie Bond

Two estranged sisters (whose last name is Guy) find themselves husbandless and broke, and decide to take on a faltering P.I. agency in a strip mall. The women get off to a shaky start--their work styles and lifestyles are like oil and water, and every case seems to resurrect old family quarrels and distrust. But ultimately the women have a revelation: Who better to deal with clients who have shocking secrets than two women who harbor so many secrets of their own?

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 40 of 50:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:15 AM   #2005
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

#24 - Thr3e by Ted Dekker

Ooo! Another great book by this author! It kept me guessing til the last 25 pages.

By all accounts seminary student Kevin Parsins is leading a good, if not virtuous, life. But like all people, Kevin has his secrets. And someone wants them revealed.
While driving home from a day at graduate school, Kevin receives a call from a mysterious stranger who calls himself Slater. Slater demands Kevin confess his sin in the next three minutes or the vehicle he is manning will be blown to pieces.
Thus starts a harrowing chain of events. After narrowly escaping his exploding car, Kevin continues to receive phone calls from Slater, each with another riddle, another consequence, and another three minutes to confess his sin.
The problem is Kevin is unsure of what that sin might be. And Slater's cycle won't stop until he figures it out.
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #2006
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book #58 Mermaids: The Myths, Legends and Lore by Skye Alexander
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #2007
dizluvah
DIS Veteran

Book 71 (original goal 75, upped to 125)
The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Bride runs away from the altar - and ends up falling in love with a bodyguard hired by her family. I really enjoyed this book - fun light read with enough offbeat plot lines to keep it from being formulaic.

Book 72 Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich
great read - thanks to those who recommended this one
Old 07-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #2008
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#51 While I Was Out by Sue Miller

"In the summer of 1968, Jo Becker ran out on the marriage and the life her parents wanted for her, and escaped--for one beautiful, idyllic year--into a life that was bohemian and romantic, living under an assumed name in a rambling group house in Cambridge. It was a time of limitless possibility, but it ended in a single instant when Jo returned home one night to find her best friend lying dead in a pool of blood on the living room floor."

That quote is what made me want to read this book. The only thing is there was so much rambling on before & after the good parts that it was a very boring read for me.
Have seen lots of raves for the author's other books that I might try another of her books. Maybe.

Book Challenge Goal 55/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #2009
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
#22 - Obsessed by Ted Dekker

Oh my! One of the best books I have read in a long time. Highly recommended especially if you like Ted Dekker. Great book!

Stephen Friedman is making a good living in good times. He's just an ordinary guy. Or so he thinks.
But one day an extraordinary piece of information tells him differently. It's a clue from the grave of a Holocaust survivor. A clue that makes him heir to an incredible fortune . . . a clue that only he and one other man can possibly understand.
That man is Roth Braun, a serial killer who has been waiting for Stephen for thirty years. Roth was stopped once before. This time nothing will get in his way.
Gosh, I can't remember if I read this one! Title sounds SO familiar, but I don't remember that plotline. Guess I'll need to look this one up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyPete View Post
Goal - 24 books

Book #15 - Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn - I flew through this one pretty quick because it was really hard to put down. At first, I could find no protagonist. I didn't like any of the characters but was still being pulled into the story. By the end of the book, I still didn't like any of the characters but I understood why and I appreciated the way they were developed. I know some people don't like the ending itself. It's not a gratifying conclusion but at least it's not cliche. The author had several opportunities to take the easy out and she chose to give the story one more twist. Great Book!
Glad you liked it! I loved Gone Girl so much that I'm currently rereading it, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyWalle View Post
#24 - Thr3e by Ted Dekker

Ooo! Another great book by this author! It kept me guessing til the last 25 pages.

By all accounts seminary student Kevin Parsins is leading a good, if not virtuous, life. But like all people, Kevin has his secrets. And someone wants them revealed.
While driving home from a day at graduate school, Kevin receives a call from a mysterious stranger who calls himself Slater. Slater demands Kevin confess his sin in the next three minutes or the vehicle he is manning will be blown to pieces.
Thus starts a harrowing chain of events. After narrowly escaping his exploding car, Kevin continues to receive phone calls from Slater, each with another riddle, another consequence, and another three minutes to confess his sin.
The problem is Kevin is unsure of what that sin might be. And Slater's cycle won't stop until he figures it out.
My FAVORITE Ted Dekker book!!

Have you read his Circle series yet?

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker

Currently reading: #26 Rainshadow Road

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM   #2010
keenercam
Wishes she were Mickey's girl
Would settle for looking like Tinkerbell instead of Winnie the Pooh

90/150 - Cutting Ties (Book 2 in the Piper Anderson series). I really like the first one in the series and was waiting for this to be published to Kindle. I was worried weather it could be as suspenseful and interesting as the first, and it was.

91/150 - Full Disclosure by Dee Henderson -- This was an interesting FBI suspense novel with very strong undertones about Christian faith. I thought it was complex and interesting, but was surprised to read some negative reviews on Amazon. Apparently, Dee Henderson fans think this is not up to her standards. Now, I'm very curious to read her earlier books, since I was impressed with this one.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: