Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Arsenal1982
DIS Veteran

10 Day Trip to Italy - Budget

For those of you who have done a 10 day trip (or around that length) to Italy, what did you end up spending? You can exclude airfare from the equation.

It would be 2 adults on my trip.
Arsenal1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal1982 View Post
For those of you who have done a 10 day trip (or around that length) to Italy, what did you end up spending? You can exclude airfare from the equation.

It would be 2 adults on my trip.
Where are you going in Italy, where you are going and what you want to visit will have alot to do with the budget.
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Arsenal1982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
Where are you going in Italy, where you are going and what you want to visit will have alot to do with the budget.
Thinking early October 2014.. Start in Venice, and work my day down to Rome.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Over $10K for three people but we lived large -- Hassler Hotel in Rome, Hotel Concordia in Venice, lots of cabs instead of public transportation.

My general rule of thumb is $300/night for hotel, $100/person/day food (certainly you can spend less, but when in Rome ...), $15/person/day transportation and $30/person/day for attractions. Obviously you can spend much less on a hotel but I find that around $300 you're getting a nice room in a good neighborhood, usually with breakfast included.

Enjoy your trip! Venice is my absolute favorite city.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
kidzmom3
DIS Veteran
Would tell all for a free cruise!

In my eperience for a a mid range vacation (not too cheap or too expensive)
hotel is usually between at least $160 to about $300 per night.
$30-$75 per person on dinner
to rent a car and put gas in you are talking big bucks
trains vary, probably about $35 a person between cities....maybe $15 public transport in the same city.
Venice....very pricey
I would probably budget $150 per person per day.
kidzmom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Hotels are very expensive. You can rent someone apartment for much less. Trains in Europe are very good. The answers you are getting will be a little vague because we have no idea where you want to go and what you want to see based on your question.

This is a well known site for apartment rentals for vacationers

https://www.airbnb.com/s/italy?af=19...FeoWMgodlgwAtA
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Very long time since I was in Italy but I've been planning a trip for 2015. Planning on keeping hotel around 250-280/ night range. Food at 125 a day.
What type of traveler are you? I'm budget conscious in RL so I like to go luxury on vacation.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Arsenal1982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
Very long time since I was in Italy but I've been planning a trip for 2015. Planning on keeping hotel around 250-280/ night range. Food at 125 a day.
What type of traveler are you? I'm budget conscious in RL so I like to go luxury on vacation.

I'm more willing to spend money on food and activities than I am on the hotel. I'm hotel ratings obsessed so I will spend hours trying to find the most location convenient and clean place for the best price I can. I think I can find good places for under $200 per night (I'm very open to bed and breakfast type places). Those tend to be a little cheaper.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Skippy918
Mouseketeer

We went in 2006 for 2 weeks. I think we spent $3k. We found great hotels for reasonable prices. We did cheap lunches and nice dinners. It was a great trip.
Skippy918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
Agent7
Mouseketeer

I traveled in Europe for three weeks and I was usually able to find clean and safe (my top two) accommodation for under $100 per night. Although I wasn't in the city center (I was on the island of Lido and not Venice, saved me so much money. I had to buy a boat pass but realistically you'll want to buy one anyway to get around Venice more quickly/take you back to the square when you get lost. I highly recommend buying your glass souvineers on Murano, it's the island where all the stuff you see on Venice is made and it's cheaper (especially if you wonder away from the boat dock). In other places I may have had a 10-20 minute walk to the city center. Now if location is your number 1 you're going to pay for it. Budget at least $200 or more per night. Especially in the more popular cities. Especially during peak times. Food in Italy I found to be really expensive (over $20 per meal). I actually went to the grocery store and made picnic lunches. I love going to grocery stores in other countries. Helps me understand the culture. Experiences can range from free (some museums sight seeing) to extremely expensive (gondola rides are roughly 80 euro an hour). Really I recommend a good travel guide with prices. Add them up and once you have a rough budget and several more hundred to that. I traveled fairly cheaply, but like I said I sometimes sacrificed location or bought some food from a grocery store.

I know this might not exactly answer your question but both the cities you named can be expensive and budget really depends your priorities and day to day travel plan.
Agent7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
friend of pooh
Mouseketeer

I know you said not to include airfare, but have you looked at airfare to Italy lately?
friend of pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

We went in 2007 and spent $8000 excluding airfare for 2 adults. This did not include shopping. We stayed 15 nights and stayed in luxury hotels.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #13
Jeafl
Has an emergency auto hammer & knows how to use it
Collects Beta fish
Meow-y Christmas!!
Since when did 41 become middle aged?

We just got back from spending a week in Venice a couple of weeks ago. Depending on how long you plan to stay in Venice I can highly reommend the flat we stayed in. It was built in the early 1600's but is totally modernized. it was on the corner of 2 canals and had unbelievable views from every window. It was a 10 minute walk to the Rialto bridge and markets, and a 15-minute walk to St. Mark's Square. It was only a 5-minute walk to the Vaporeto stop on the Grand Canal. We absolutely loved it and it was less than $160 a night for 5 people. I can send you the link if you are interested.

We bought the Vaporetto (water bus) passes ahead of time on the website veniceconnected.com. There is lots of info there about transportation, prices and other things of interest in Venice. Most of the better museums, as well as St. Mark's Cathedral have fairly steep entry fees, so plan on spending a good chunk of.money if you want to see those.

We walked the entire city several times and saw pretty much everything, so if you have any questions let me know. I would be more than happy to help you. One thing you should count on in Italy is spending a lot on food. It is FAR from cheap although we found a couple of great places to eat in Venice that weren't too bad. One thing you have to have that was surprisingly cheap is Gelato. Unbelievably good stuff!

One thing you should buy in Venice or Rome are the fantastic watercolor street scene paintings done by area artists. They are gorgeous and very cheap!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 PM   #14
Arsenal1982
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend of pooh View Post
I know you said not to include airfare, but have you looked at airfare to Italy lately?
Haha yea it's expensive but it's not something I can control. It will be what it will be. Things I can control include money spent on food, hotels, activities, etc.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 AM   #15
shortbun
Peacenik

Take a look at Steves' recommends for hotels. Call for a reservation because Italian hotels are infamous for not responding to emails and letters. Just get up early one morning and make your calls. Food is NOT the item to cut expenses on in Italy. Italy IS food and you must enjoy it while there or you might as well go someplace else. There are lots of small and less expensive hotels that have some charm but they are not cheap but you don't have to stay in the Hassler to enjoy Rome...lol, it couldn't hurt though.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: