Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #91
ethanwa
Premier Passport AP / D23 Charter Member / D23 Geek of the Week / 2013 and 2015 D23 Expo Sorcerers Ticket

By the way, for an update on this, we DID sign on a 1-year rental lease on a house in Windermere FL! It's 2400 sqr feet, built in 2007, single story, in a good neighborhood less than a mile from school, and only $1795/mnth. We're going to stay for a year and if we like it, we'll stay in Florida. If not, we'll move back to Seattle.

Apparently you can see the fireworks high in the sky from behind the Magic Kingdom every night from the front porch of the house. How cool is that!

We'll be there around Sept. 11th or so! Annual passes here we come!

Ethan

Been to DL, WDW, Aulani, D23 Expo, on DCL, and to Universal Orlando.

Florida residents since Sept. 2013. We live three minutes from the Magic Kingdom.
ethanwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #92
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Moved to Orlando from the Washington, DC area almost 20 years ago and have not once regretted it (well, except for the occasional run-in with those darned tourists who can't drive worth a darn! ). Windermere is an excellent area and you will be happy with the schools in Orange County...Florida overall might not be the best schools but Orange County is a GREAT school system! Good luck to you, and enjoy all the Florida resident deals on theme park passes and Disney cruises!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #93
horseshowmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanwa View Post
By the way, for an update on this, we DID sign on a 1-year rental lease on a house in Windermere FL! It's 2400 sqr feet, built in 2007, single story, in a good neighborhood less than a mile from school, and only $1795/mnth. We're going to stay for a year and if we like it, we'll stay in Florida. If not, we'll move back to Seattle.

Apparently you can see the fireworks high in the sky from behind the Magic Kingdom every night from the front porch of the house. How cool is that!

Ethan
Very cool!

We contemplated moving 20+ years ago and really should have done it. Excited for your new adventuere!
horseshowmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #94
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ethan
Nice area, and great price on the house! Good luck with the move.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #95
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

I read most of this thread and didn't see if you mentioned a job. Do you have a job lined up in Florida?
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #96
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutgers1 View Post
I read most of this thread and didn't see if you mentioned a job. Do you have a job lined up in Florida?
The third sentence in the the first paragraph of the OP states he is a work at home software something or another.

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #97
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:

Ethan
Welcome to the neighborhood! Sounds like you'll be very close to me. You're going to be very happy with this area.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:25 PM   #98
Princess_Nikki
DIS Veteran

Yay!

Let us know how Windermere is, I have heard some great things, but not much detail!

We have our own boat/yacht cleaning biz, I work from home, and I'm a massage therapist (becoming Physician's Assistant) and we are looking to move that direction too! We are currently in the Florida Panhandle (a.k.a. Emerald Coast). I LOVE the Gulf of Mexico area, but we would love to be farther south and closer to WDW!!

I just turned 35, my DH is 30 and our kids are DS4 & DS6. School's would be a huge factor for us, too. How exciting for you & your family! Keep us posted!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #99
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ethan
That is so exciting! I moved to South Dakota a few years ago from Maine and lasted about 8 months before I missed my Mom and had to move home . I am sure your family will love it. Even if you move back, I am sure it will be a great experience for you!!

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #100
Kitten
Mouseketeer

For those Diser's that are familiar with the area, what hospitals are within 10-15 miles of Disney?
Dream Disney Job: Conch Flats General Store at Old Key West
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #101
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten View Post
For those Diser's that are familiar with the area, what hospitals are within 10-15 miles of Disney?
Dr. Phillips, Health Central and Celebration
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #102
SLK1
DIS Veteran

Celebration Hospital, Dr. Phillips Hospital, Orlando Regional Medical Center (ORMC)
Old 12-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #103
abeyst
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ethan
So, as I work out my options for moving to FL in 2014, I read your entire thread. And I'm curious - now that you've been in FL for a few months, how are things going for you?

(And all the other posters who are locals, thank you for the great information!)

1980 Offsite ~ 1988 Offsite ~ 2000 February Carribean Beach ~ 2001 September Old Key West ~ 2003 February Beach Club Villas ~ 2003 October Beach Club Villas ~ 2005 January Old Key West ~ 2006 January Old Key West ~ 2006 August All Star Sports ~ 2007 December Beach Club Villas ~ 2008 July Saratoga Springs ~ 2009 January Disneyland Resort ~ 2009 July Animal Kingdom Villas
abeyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:32 PM   #104
SamRoc
DIS Veteran

Congratulations on your move. I stayed in Kissimmee a few years ago for the winter and loved it. Met so many nice people who were just so happy to be out of the cold weather, that was mostly their decision for moving there. Would love to move there but dh isn't ready yet!

1st trip 1975,1st anniversary trip 1983,Polynesian 1987,Ft. Wilderness Cabins 1990,Ft. Wilderness Cabins 1992, Contemporary 1995,Contemporary 1998 Disney Cruise,Polynesian Oct 2000, Fort Wilderness Cabins 2001, Motorhome Ft. Wilderness 2003, Grand Villa OKW April 2004,VWL Christmas 2004, Rental home April 2005,Ft. Wilderness Cabins Oct 2005 MNSSHP, Rental home Christmas 2005, 1st time in our home in Emerald Island Feb 2006!, EI March 2006, EI April 2006,EI June 2006, EI and Disney Magic (Wedding)August 2006,EI Oct 2006 MNSSHP ,Feb 2007,April 2007,Oct 2007 (Our 25th Anniversary!)Dec 2007 VWL, Jan 2008 EI,May 2008 EI,Dec 2008-March 2009 (1st snowbird experience!) June 2009 EI,June 2011 EI, Dec 2011 EI, Jan 2011 EI
SamRoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #105
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Just came across this thread and have enjoyed reading all the posts. I am jealous - congratulations and good luck Ethan to you and your family. Sounds like you did your research and know what you want.

I have said for years that I would love to move down there someday - not necessarily in Orlando. We just sold a condo (used to be by inlaws) in Jupiter. We were not ready to go back and forth and become snowbirds.

I then went onto saying - cannot move there completely since we would definitely miss our kids and soon grandkids but would like to become snowbirds eventually and still feel that way.

Now my mom's health and my mil's health prevents us from spending more than two weeks anywhere (more so because of my mil - my dh is the only child living). We would like to try different areas for a few yeas first before deciding which area we would like and if we never purchase anything, we can rent for a month or so in the winter. We shall see.

Any updates Ethan? Windmere is a beautiful area and I have heard the schools are excellent.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: