Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
disneydeux
Can Once in a Lifetime Happen Twice?

Smile To the Fantasy & Beyond: Private Mixology; Beer Exchange; July 20, 2013

I loved all the trip reports I read prior to our second Disney cruise. Hope this helps some fellow travelers.

Our Motley Crew:
Eight adults (grandma, grandpa, four brothers, two wives).
Eight children (14, 14, 11, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5).

16 in all. Spread out over 6 rooms on the 10th floor.

Going to start with some items/events that stood out and then will do a day by day.

Hope you enjoy!

Beer Exchange
Beer Exchange Pics
Day One - Debarture & Embarkation
Stateroom Report
Boot Camp/Body Sculpt/Gym & Exercise Report
Cruise Meet & Muster Drill
Day One Night Time Fun: Beer Mugs, Funnel Vision & Aqua Duck
First Sea Day Morning
The Purse
Palo Brunch & Formal Night Prep & Pics
Royal Court Dinner, Karoke & Return of the Titans

Last edited by disneydeux; 08-22-2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: reader clarification
disneydeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
disneydeux

Beer Exchange

I noticed a thread on the boards about a Beer Exchange. I LOVED this idea, so proposed it to our cruise meet. Nine people agreed to bring a 12 pack of a local/favorite beer to share.

Transport of Beer

We were flying so had to look into options for checking beer. Found a beer shipping box and ordered two - the shipping of the boxes cost more than the actual boxes. It looked secure enough but we also added some bubble wrap & a large plastic bag around the Styrofoam. I threw it around a bit with the beer & it seemed sound. Marked it up fragile (Must be Italian).

Our choice of beer was Boulevard Pale Ale produced by a local Kansas City company. It is one of their signature beers and very tasty.

Location of Beer Exchange

We initially scheduled the Exchange for 2:00 pm on our first sea day (2nd day of the trip) at the Cove Cafe which is located on the adult deck near the adult pool. It is a coffee shop/bar. There was talk that they might not appreciate us with our beer not bought on the ship. We thought maybe a room but that might not be too comfortable and apparently nobody was staying in the Walt Disney suite.

I emailed the lady (Alma) from DCL who helped us set up our private mixology and asked for a room for 15 people for a "gift exchange." She offered us the Outlook located on the top deck of the ship, near the Edge. So that works.

The room itself was fine. If I had gotten there earlier, I would have arranged the chairs to open it up a bit. It was a very business meeting like set up. But what a fun great room.

Exchange Itself

We started by setting up the beers on different tables. Everyone introduced themselves and their beers. There was quite a variety - Wisconsin, Florida, NJ, KS & MO. Then we walked around the room and picked up the beers and filled up our beer containers.

People opened a few & we shared. I had coasters made for the event and each family got one. It lasted about an hour and it was nice b/c now we knew some more people - all who loved beer!

Cleaned up the room a bit and we took off.

Last edited by disneydeux; 07-27-2013 at 07:41 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
RonningFamilyCrusin
Earning My Ears

Love the idea. I am a bit of a beer lover (and wine lover I guess too) myself. Might have to try it on our cruise. Love Boulevard. Pretty common where I am from. One of the best wheat beers out there IMHO. Looking forward to the rest of the TR!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

A beer exchange sounds great - we are doing a candy/chocolate exchange on our first day but I love the idea of something a bit more 'adult' (would say grown up but men+beer is often anything but )

We are working with Alma too - isn't she just great?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #5
disneydeux

Smile Pics of Beer Exchange

Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

The beer mats are great, did you design those yourself? Very professional
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:03 AM   #7
disneydeux

Smile Day One - Departure & Embarkation

After furious planning for months, the day had arrived for our departure. My alarm went off at 4 a.m. for our 7 a.m. flight. I wanted to feed the kids prior to leaving for the airport, so we sat down to some sausage, peaches & cinnamon rolls! We had packed the car the night before so we basically just rolled into the car.

Curbside check-in was open when we pulled up to the curb, so I jumped out with luggage and kids while Steve parked the car. For five people, we had six pieces of luggage and three boxes! Fish Extenders & Beer Exchange took up a lot of room. As we were finishing with check-in, the other members of our family pulled up in their shuttle.

We ended up meeting at the gate where the kids watched some television and the adults were all in a flutter with excitement. The plane ride was uneventful and we arrived at MCO at 10:30. We made our way to the bus where we were loaded promptly & headed for Port.

The terminal was pretty empty as we headed up at 12:30 and we were onboard at 1:00 p.m. We were able to take a pic of the whole family on the stairs and it turned out great.

Enchanted Garden Lunch

On our previous cruise, we never ate at any of the MDR's for breakfast or lunch and that was part of my cruise bucket list. So we headed to Enchanted Garden for a buffet lunch. I ordered the drink of the day thinking it would be some fruity yumminess but it was a gin and basil drink. I only drank half.

The buffet was fine. I was able to make a big salad and enjoyed some seafood as well. Our group scattered & my family made it's way to our two adjoining staterooms.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
DCW
Mouseketeer

Yahoo

Can't wait to read more, we Sail Oct 12th Can't stop thinking about it

Trip History:

2013 Oct DS 18th Birthday on the Fantasy, Western
2012 MR on The Wonder
2007 Magic, Eastern,
1994 Royal Caribbean Honeymoon cruise MR
1992 WDW
Countless trips to DL (grew up there)

DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
disneydeux

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
The beer mats are great, did you design those yourself? Very professional
A fellow Dis-er designed them & then we had them printed at Cafe Press.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
disneydeux

Smile Staterooms

On our Dream cruise we had a family stateroom for five and that felt pretty crowded. This time it was adjoining staterooms with a veranda. And wow - these rooms feel small.

No luggage yet but we had the following on our desk/dresser:
  • Rainforest Passes for two days (pre-ordered)
  • Reservation confirmations for sports simulator (two days)
  • Port Adventure tickets for Mayan Ruins/Beach Tour in Cozumel
  • Silver Castaway Club Gift (back packs, snacks and key chains)

I was highly unorganized for our first cruise so I really wanted to stay on top of it for this one. We put all necessary paperwork in Steve's backpack and trashed the rest.

I had a list of things I wanted to accomplish that afternoon which included:
  • Confirming ressie for Palo as I had to have two different times since there were six of us going.
  • Enter the spa raffle
  • Make hair appointment for formal night
  • Talk to Stateroom Host about extra copy of Navigator

Steve took off with the kids to get kids club bands and explore the ship while I worked on my to-do list.

We met Marissa our stateroom host who was very sweet and accommodating. Our room was located next to the "towel" room so there were always people around our front door. No problem - you couldn't hear them or anything. Then my SIL & I set off for the gym.

We entered the raffle and spoke to the trainer about the boot camp class and spinning class. They open up the list for the spinning class at 5 pm the night prior to class. For the bootcamp, you sign up for a class or for the week. We both signed up for the week.

Off to the reservation desk for hair appointments. The formal day hair appointments go quick. We were able to book three appointments for late morning.

A quick drink of the day - this time fruity & yummy - at the adult pool capped off our afternoon before we headed for our Cruise Meet.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

Love the trip report! Looking forward to reading more as we are sailing on the Fantasy next month!

Did you find the pools too crowded for your kids? After reading some other posts on the cruise board I'm a little concerned about overcrowding..

mjaclyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
disneydeux

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
Love the trip report! Looking forward to reading more as we are sailing on the Fantasy next month!

Did you find the pools too crowded for your kids? After reading some other posts on the cruise board I'm a little concerned about overcrowding..
We did not find the pools too crowded but as you will read, we only went early in the morning and after 8:30 p.m. So we were never there at peak hours.

Thanks for reading!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #13
disneydeux

Smile Boot Camp, Exercise Room, etc. . . .

I am active at home and wanted to keep that up on the ship. On the Dream, it seemed that all the classes were quite full quite quickly, so I went to the gym straight-away to find out the scoop on classes.

I spoke to Regina who is the only trainer on board and teaches all the classes. She suggested the boot camp class which was offered every day. It says on the Navigator: nominal fee. The cost for four classes was $140, so I would not call that nominal - I would call that substantial. But you did get to go to all six if you paid for the four. Or each individual class was $50 and you could pick and choose.

My SIL and I both decided to sign up for the whole week of boot camp. It was offered at 9:00 a.m. each day except for Cozumel & Castaway Cay when it was at 8:00 a.m.

On the first sea day, we showed up at the gym at 8:50 a.m. & there were six others waiting to take the class. Regina showed us the exercises we would be doing and gave us suggestions on the size of the weights. We then followed her up to the basketball court where class would be held. So everyone waiting in the AuqaDuck got a good view of us working our butts off.

Basically it was a 35-40 minute boot camp class that incorporated weights, body weight, stretching and ab work. It was a great workout that really got my heart rate up.

That being said - I only went three times (1st day at sea, Costa Maya & Castaway Cay). Either I was up and not feeling so great or I wanted to spend that breakfast and early morning time with my kids. If I did it all over again, I would go a couple of times and then just use Deck 4 for walking. Which I used every day & loved. It was never crowded early in the morning and fun to see the ship so quiet.

The gym is crazy at the beginning of the cruise and seemed to be a ghost town on the last two days.

There are yogo & ab classes offered at 7 a.m. on the pool deck every morning. Got a shot although I did not participate.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #14
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Howdy from a former KCite!! I'm not a beer fan but had the opportunity to see the Boulevard Brewery one time...its really cool! The beer exchange is a really great idea!

$140 is a nominal fee!??!?!? Holy mackerel! Good for you for keeping up your exercise routine on the ship.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Jill in CO
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #15
disneydeux

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Howdy from a former KCite!! I'm not a beer fan but had the opportunity to see the Boulevard Brewery one time...its really cool! The beer exchange is a really great idea!

$140 is a nominal fee!??!?!? Holy mackerel! Good for you for keeping up your exercise routine on the ship.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip.

Jill in CO
Thanks for reading Jill. Go Chiefs!

Tags
beer exchange, beer mugs, fantasy cruise, private mixology

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: