Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #16
Surfinpiratee
DIS Veteran

First off, I'm so sorry you have to go through that. It's never easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles04 View Post
I wish I knew what to tell you. I feel you have made the right decision so far. My childhood dog had cancer which my parents spent thousands (that they didn't have) with chemo and surgery to save her, but it only prolonged her suffering. She finally went off into the woods to die alone. I still wish we had not let her suffer that way.
Second, I've never had to be the decision maker for my cat to be put down (since i was a kid). But i know now (I have 2 cats and 1 dog) when they need to be put to sleep, I want to be there with them. I don't want them to suffer or pro long their suffering.

Just make their last days wonderful and comfortable for them. They'll really appreciate it. And know that you gave them a wonderful life.

Next Disney Vacation in the works!

Current PTR: We must return to the magic!
Surfinpiratee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
tribblesmom
Earning My Ears

Wow I couldn't have expected such an overwhelming amount of responses and support from strangers. We are all animal lovers!! Thank each and everyone of you for sharing your heart wrenching stories and for your advice. I wish I could respond more thoughtfully to you individually but it's really difficult on my iPhone, plus would probably take hours. So please know I appreciate you all!
Last night I came to realize I think the vet has her on too much tramadol. Her breathing gets worse shortly after I give her the pain meds. She only weighs 40 pounds and she has been taking 100mg as needed about every 6-7 hours. I'm going to decrease that to 1 50 mg pill per dose and see if it helps her breathing while still helping her pain. Last night 4 hours after her meds she was breathing pretty good even while lying down. I just don't think it's time to put her down yet but I do know its coming soon. until then she will continue to be treated like a queen!
I like the idea of trying to prop her up to rest. I will try that. I will also take her to the vet if the decrease in pain meds doesn't help her breathing, just to get his opinion.
Thank you again! Ill keep you posted for those interested.
tribblesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
dreamin'boutdis
Earning My Ears

OP - I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this.

We have had two Rottweilers who have had lymphoma (litter mates). We chose to do chemo for both of them, and they were also put on prednisone. Our vet warned us that one of the side effects of prednisone is heavy panting (along with excessive drinking and urination).

I suggest you talk to your vet in the morning and see what he/she thinks.

BTW - one of our dogs is still going strong, over 2 years post diagnosis. She is still on prednisone and still pants heavily at times.

October 2-16 2010, POR
September 2011, POFQ
dreamin'boutdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
maxaroni
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneefun View Post
Well, our dog is in kidney failure and today is our last day with her, as we have the appointment set for tomorrow first thing. It's all happened in about a month from diagnosis. We've tried a few treatments, but nothing too invasive b/c she's 14 and, really, that's just mean to put her through all that with no hope of buying much time. We've just been keeping her comfy as best we can.

She's stopped eating, she never seems comfortable and she's lost interest in all her favorite things. When she started turning down peanut butter on Friday (the last thing I'd been able to get her to eat and her all time favorite), we knew.

I'm dreading it and don't want to do it, but I know it's best. Keeping her here would be for me, not her. She still has some moments of happiness and silliness, but they are fewer and farther between. And I can tell they cost her something in terms of energy and feeling good

So all I can tell you is that you'll probably know when it's time, but you still won't want to do it and everything in you will tell you not to, to keep fighting for every second no matter how fleeting the good times are, but deep inside, you'll know.
We lost our beloved Max from kidney failure and it was so fast. He wasn't eating well and thought it was old age (15). Took him to the vets who ran a blood panel and it was kidney failure. Stayed at the hospital 5 days with IV and sub q fluids .....eating a special diet and back to himself. Within one day of being home he went down hill. The ER vet asked us what we wanted to do but said she didn't think he was ready. Took him to our own vet the next night ready to put him down as he got so much worse overnight. The vet said he thought he could pull him through. Those words changed our feelings and we gave him a shot. 2 days later got the call that it was time. We got to the vet and don't think he would have lasted much longer. We said our good byes and held him.

It was the hardest thing to do but there was no doubt in my mind in what to do. In hindsight we wished we had done it 2 nights earlier and we feel the guilt...nearly 2 years later. We still cry and he is missed so much.
maxaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #20
Anne34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribblesmom View Post
Hello, I'm new here and saw some other great advice regarding dog lymphoma. She is a 6 year old beagle mix and this news has been devastating. Her name is Tribble. She was diagnosed 4 weeks ago because we found small lumps on her neck. We decided against chemo since its extremely expensive and would likely only prolong her life for a year. We started her on prednisone immediately and tramadol for pain about 2 weeks ago. It seems to be spreading very fast.
Now she still eats great. Has quite a bit of energy, still gets very happy and excited. But my main concern is she is panting a lot and its not hot. It's usually when she's lying down. She is having a hard time breathing when she's lying down even when she's not panting. It's killing me to see her like this when she's tired but then when she gets up she's fine, wagging her tail, etc!!!
I don't feel like its time yet because she still has so much life in her. But when she's lying down I know she's not comfortable and I just don't know. I read somewhere that the panting can mean she's distressed.
Can I get some advice? I greatly appreciate it.
Our Beagle had the same thing when he was almost 8. We went downhill quickly and we ended up putting him down when he was just laying in a corner by himself, trying to get away from all the commotion of the family. I didn't want him to slowly choke to death -- thought that would be an awful way to go.

Best of luck with your decision
Anne34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #21
luvgoing2disney
DIS Veteran

OP I am so sorry that you and your family are facing this very difficult decision. We had a similar situation in April when my Shih Tzu was diagnosed with renal failure and cancer. The vet said he could last 2 days or 2 weeks and I knew I would not let him suffer. I asked the vet when would I know it was time and he said "You will just know" and he was exactly right. One night ( and I know this seems crazy) I could almost hear Rocky say "Daddy, it's time". The next day he stopped eating and two days later we went to the vet for one of the hardest days ever. But yo love your pet so you will know when it is time for him to cross Rainbow Bridge.

Many hugs are sent to you, your family and to your precious Tribble

1997, 2000, 2002, 2004, Disneyland 2005, 2006, October 2007, May 2008, Christmas 2009, Disneyland 2011, April 2012, May 2013, September 2013, Disneyland April 2014
luvgoing2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #22
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Oh I am in tears, so sorry OP for what you are going through. I too suffer from the guilt of letting one of our cats suffer too long. I waited and waited to see if he would bounce back, and then when I took him to the vet finally, he passed as the doctor was starting to examine him. I felt like a still feel like a horrible pet owner, but I didn't want to believe it was truly time.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
tribblesmom
Earning My Ears

Wow these stories are heartbreaking!!!

Tribble is doing really good since decreasing her pain med. breathing much better. I trust the vet but very glad I did my own research.

Just wanted to thank everyone again.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #24
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

We lost our Pointer to lymphoma a few years ago. He, too, was on prednisone and it really made a difference. He lost a lot of weight but was still somewhat active and eating. He did not appear uncomfortable and he had six pretty good months.

One day, he just stopped eating. It was a Monday. I think he knew it was time. By Wednesday he couldn't stand by himself and on Thursday we took him in to end it. The end happened very quickly, but we are thankful for the last six good months we had.

I am so sorry you are going through this. I know it is hard.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:28 AM   #25
tribblesmom
Earning My Ears

I just wanted to thank everyone again for all your replies. We had to put Tribble down last Tuesday. The day we decided we were questioning it but the very next day it was so obvious we were making the right decision. I just knew. I wouldn't have waited another day.

We took her on a nice car ride- she put her head out the window and enjoyed the sun and wind in her face. It was a beautiful day.

I was in the room when they put her down and held her as she took her last breath. It was heartbreaking!!!! I'm still upset and I feel like I've lost a friend.

We caught her lymphoma pretty early. She lived 2 pretty good months on prednisone and tramadol after diagnosis. Honestly longer than I expected. We put her down as soon as the bad outweighed the good.

I still have 2 dogs and one of them is 6. I don't know how I'll deal with this pain again. I know I shouldn't think of this now. I know people that can't have dogs because losing them is too painful.

Thx again all. I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep!!
Old 08-21-2013, 02:43 AM   #26
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I'm so sorry.

You were both fortunate to have eachother, as painful as it feels right now.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #27
Bella the Ball 360
Keyboarding is not my thing excuse typos.
I am going to have to sew "whoopie pie" pockets on the hips of my jeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlewis23 View Post
First of all . I know how hard this is for you. Our german shepherd mix had lymphoma, and it was rough. She also started panting for no reason too. That's actually what made me take her in. I noticed the lump and then the panting, and it was literally within a week. Lymphoma moves quickly in dogs. The vet told me that she had a few weeks left so we took her home, put her on prednisone and cried.

All I can say is some advice I was given by my uncle, who has raised many dogs. When it's time, you'll know. You won't second guess yourself because in your heart you just know it's time. Until that point, which may only be a week or so, (my dog deteriorated rapidly ) enjoy the time you have with her. She will let you know when she's had enough. I will never forget the way that my Ashley looked up at me as if to say "I'm ready to move on". (It's been 8 years, and here I am blubbering like an idiot at the keyboard). We took her to the vet that afternoon, and she passed before the doctor even gave her the second shot. My prayers are with you and your family.
I totally agree!
First, let me say I too know how hard this is having gone through it twice (once is too much for anyone in my opinion). The vet told me that dogs also know when it is time. One of the signs is they stop eating. This was true of my first dog but my second dog was a little different. He tried to eat (his favorite thing to do) but he kept vomiting it back up. He did however try and seperate himself from us. I wish I could give better advice other than, when it's time you'll know. This is a difficult time and if you dog is still getting joy out of life then let him determine when he is ready. You are in my prayers.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Tribblesmom, if you want, you can edit the title to say Update in post #25.

How are you doing today? What did you do with Tribble's body?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 AM   #29
rcullen
Earning My Ears

Just found out

We just found out that our 9 year old boxer/pitt mix has lymphoma. I noticed that she was not herself but she was still eating like normal. She use to snore like a freight train then suddenly 2 weeks ago she stopped and started breathing a little heavier. I told my husband that I was concerned but she was still very active and didn't seem too much out of sorts. She suddenly stopped eating over the weekend. NOT like her at all, she loves her food. I took her to the vet on Monday and that is when I noticed the big lumps in her neck. The vet came in took one look at her and said, "she has lymphoma" He showed me all the other nodes in her body that were swollen. They are so big that they are pushing on her air way making it harder to breathe and eat. We started her on prednisone that day and it is now Wednesday (day 3) she at a little Monday night and ate yesterday and suddenly is not eating again today. She lays around on the tile floor all day long and is just listless. She's drinking a ton (was before the prednisone too) and I'm just not sure it's going to help her. I'm willing to give the medicine a full week to see if it reduces the size of her nodes. If they haven't gone down any by next week I think we might have to go ahead and put her down. I don't want her to suffer. She has been with my husband since she was 6 weeks old. She was a pound puppy, born in the pound but has been with him ever since. (minus 4 years we were overseas and couldn't take her, but she was with family still) It's heartbreaking to see her in this state. I'm hoping I will be able to tell when she is done so we can let her go without suffering.
rcullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #30
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear about Tribble. We lost my himalayan, Beau in October to cancer. My vet gave me some good advice, when you find yourself hoping that your pet passes in its sleep, then it's time . . .
SharonZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: