Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2013, 05:07 PM   #31
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

After a week or so of reading up on the various brands of anti-theft bags, checking out the reviews and watching the videos on YouTube, we went to REI to check out the pacsafe metrosafe shoulder bag. http://pacsafe.com/metrosafe-200-ant...t-shoulder-bag

I was debating with myself if I even needed to buy an anti-theft bag -- why do I need something that screams out "Hey, I'm not from around here. I probably have something you might want." (Although, really, I won't -- just my point and shoot camera, a bottle of water, sunscreen, a few euros...) but on the other hand, I want my image to be, Savvy Tourist -- don't even think about trying anything, Buster.

I guess I could have bought it online in something more exciting than the basic black, but it was there and I was there, so I bought it. I was a little trepidatious about spending $70 on a purse but dh Paul was making his way through the aisles picking up little travel gizmos and he almost spent twice as much as me.

So, here we are, just a bit closer to Barcelona and the Magic.
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #32
GreenAcres
I'm not from the South, but I got here as fast as I could.

I did not buy an anti-theft bag...don't know if I'll be sorry or not. I'm not planning on carrying anything except I was thinking about folding up a copy of my passport with my ID and a little cash and carrying that in a lanyard tucked under my clothes. Any thoughts? I spent my money instead on a new camera! On sale at Target. Nikon cool pics 3500...very tiny and unobtrusive (I hope).
Register to remove

Old 07-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #33
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

I put some stuff in my PacSaf bag and wore it last week to get the feel for it.
Normally, I use a small Vera Bradley purse or a cross-body hipster. Not that I'm a hipster--just don't like big bags :-0

The PacSaf was comfortable to wear when walking around. The wide strap distributed the weight well. Opening it up was a bit of a pain (but that's the deal, isn't it?) Having the purse next to me in the car was a bit bulky, but since my main purpose for it is to wear it as I'm touring, I think it will work very well.

I plan to use it to carry-on purse for the plane as it will hold my iPad and a few necessities. And I think I can still take a tote bag or something to hold an extra set of clothes.

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
Old 07-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #34
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Well, I got sucked into the whole FE thing -- I don't mean that as a bad thing, it just is. I've spent hours on FaceBook and Esty and Pintrest looking at FE holders and FE gifts. I like to do crafty thing but haven't done too much in a while -- my craftiness has been limited to digital scrapbooking or photo albums and not even much of that lately.

So it's actually been a pleasure to walk about the craft stores to look at things and come up with ideas that are 1) inexpensive and 2) small -- since i'm traveling light.

I got an organizer at Ikea as recommended by the folks on the FB FE page and bought ribbons and stuff to decorate it. I've got three projects in mind and maybe a fourth.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #35
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Tickets to Sagrada Familia on Friday, Aug. 9, 10 a.m. purchased online -- CHECK!

Reservations with Runner Bean "free" tour of the Old City for Friday, Aug. 9, 4:30 p.m. -- CHECK!

Confirmed time and meeting place with Ingrid for tour of French Riviera on Aug. 12 -- CHECK!

Old 07-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #36
debsters41
DIS Veteran

It's getting so close for you! I love your preparation!
Old 07-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #37
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

I created a long document with everything I could think of -- flight numbers, hotel address, sightseeing plans....

I'm starting to wonder if our stop in La Spezia with plans to visit Pisa is enough. It's like when you're having a dinner party and you wonder if you have food -- and of course you do -- but you run out and get another bottle of wine and some extra ice cream to go with the cake.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #38
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

This week my DDs are out of town (out of state, actually) at Camp Grandpa and Grandma so I'm working on my FE and my FE gifts. I got the IKEA recommended organizer and decided to try my luck with glue instead of sewing. I was inspired by one of the FE's on the Facebook FE page where she used some kind of stickers or cardboard characters and glued them. I was having a bit of trouble with the glue so my ever-resourceful husband put a full 6-pack of beer bottles on each pocket. Excellent!

I'm also trying to decide between the Barcelona Turistico HOHO (teal) bus and the City Sightseeing HOHO (red). I think it's most likely a toss-up. I read the recommendations in TripAdviser and that just drives you crazy. From "this is the greatest thing ever" to "what a waste of money, it's just for you lazy lowlifes." We've done the HOHO in NYC, Chicago and San Francisco, so I know what the pros and cons are. I posted on the DIS board, and was directed to Cruise Critic, so I'll check that out.

Old 07-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #39
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

OK, went with the teal colored Barcelona Turisica HOHO bus. Both had excellent reviews but when I went online to pay for the red city sightseeing I hesitated when it required my passport number. The Turisica bus did not require that and that settled it for me.

DH asked AGAIN what do we owe for our tour with Ingrid in Villefranche (500 euros for seven people) and he counted out the money and put it in an envelope.

On the fashion front, bought a necklace to accessorize my black dress and a lace top for semi formal or Palo brunch.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #40
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

The FE gifts are done! Glad we have a small group. I have something for everyone (all the same), something for adult women and something for male or female adults (gender neutral). All kids get the same thing.

Might squeeze out a few magnets for the door.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #41
jennorthernireland
Mouseketeer

You must be getting so excited, it's nearly time! 2 weeks until we go on holiday for us and just less than 3 weeks until we get on the Magic - we don't seem to think or talk about much else in our house right now! I'm thinking of printing off this entire thread and using it as a checklist for our own trip - would save me a lot of time trying to work out what I need to do, lol!
Old 07-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #42
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennorthernireland View Post
You must be getting so excited, it's nearly time! 2 weeks until we go on holiday for us and just less than 3 weeks until we get on the Magic - we don't seem to think or talk about much else in our house right now! I'm thinking of printing off this entire thread and using it as a checklist for our own trip - would save me a lot of time trying to work out what I need to do, lol!
Ha ha! I wrote out an entire document with all the info I could gather about the flight, the hotel, tours we're doing, ship reservations. I felt better having it all in one place. I sent a copy of it to my husband and to my father in law. Between the two of them, they are sorting out who owes for what! I prefer to stay out of that conversation....

Yes, definitely excited. We leave in a week from tomorrow and I've been telling everyone that we'll be gone (coworkers, customers, church friends) so they won't be depending on me to do stuff.

JoAnn

Old 07-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #43
debsters41
DIS Veteran

I hope you have a wonderful trip and I for one am looking forward to your impressions afterwards!
Old 07-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #44
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by debsters41 View Post
I hope you have a wonderful trip and I for one am looking forward to your impressions afterwards!
Thank you! I always enjoy doing a photo review--I've done some on cruise critic but not on DIS because I didn't have enough posts to post photos. Now I can. From what I've seen you can post more than six images per posting on DIS--cruise critic limits you.

Today my real countdown begins--one week!

Old 08-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #45
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

My packing cubes are packed. My FE and FE gifts are ready. Still fussing around with magnets for the door. I fear I have too much for my new carry-on suitcase. I think I need a suitable tote or something that I can carry on.

Watched Rick Steves DVDs last night and wonder if we should try to go to Lucca as well as Leaning Tower of Pisa. I think the girls will be disappointed we don't have tickets to climb the tower. They might be up to it but not me, and probably not dh.

My trip report has begun! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128

Last edited by texasgirl29; 08-21-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: