Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

FWIW, this is for us to use as a seasonal home once we retire. No in-laws will be living in it (I hope lol). We are thinking about renting our primary home and living full time in the apartment while DD is in college, so basically taking two years to complete the process and then live there full time for four years and then hopefully just six months/year during the warmer months. As for mobility for us and stair use in the future, the design is to build the garage into a slopeside so only 4-5 steps into the apartment.

I like the idea of bright/white use, higher ceilings and floor-ceiling windows ~ would french doors be included? We can't switch to a stackable, my husband is an auto tech and is pretty big so right now he has his own extra large/duty washer and dryer in our basement and I use the stackables in the master bath He wouldn't be able to fit two work outfits in there lol. Same goes with the king bed, but I would prefer a queen so I think maybe I'll start with that small change and he can adapt

When I originally started planning/thinking, I wrote down our living "habits"; ie., how often do we use that dining table vs sitting at the bar or in front of the television? Turns out not very often at all and probably even less once DD is off to school. How much space do we really use in the living room? Really not much, we have two loveseats that face each other with a coffee table between them and a big screen television to the side. Other than that, its all eye candy and not really functional.

Keep the ideas coming, I love them. And I love the link to that apartment
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM   #17
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

HGTV (I think) used to have a show about living in small spaces. Maybe you could find some of the episodes on-line and watch them for ideas.

Last night on "you live in what?" there was a woman who lived in a caboose. I believe it was less than 400 sq and she used every inch. It was really interesting to see how she fit everything in there.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

What about keeping the main living open? There are quite a few converted factories into loft type apartments in my area and with everything being open, there seems to be more versatility in what one can do with the space. You could use furniture and things like room dividers to make the space work for you and change as your needs change.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Don't forget to plan for a space for your DD to stay when she is home from college if that is your plan.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

We are going to finish one half of the garage space into a large bonus room with full bath and Murphy bed. When she is home summers and the holidays, it will be her space, when she is not it will be my husband's music studio. That's another reason it is necessary to have interior stairs from the garage to the apt.
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
Fortuosity
That's me byword

an alphorn
Old 07-27-2013, 02:12 PM   #22
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

Friends of ours remodeled their basement into an inlaw apt. What I love about what they did was they put the kitchen against one wall. In front of it they put a VERY long counter/island with a sink and dishwasher in it. But it is then raised on the one side which looks out into the family room/dining area with barstools on the other side. Tons of work space and the mess is hidden from the other side.

It is great if you have guests over. Tons of counter space and four barstools on the other side with a table for six beyond. Off to the right they set up a small living room which is also open to the kitchen. And the room isn't big, it just feels it with the way it is laid out.
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #23
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

These types of table are some space savers to think about.

This has to be the thinnest fold up table. So the whole thing can slid out of the way. Yet be brought out when you need extra table space for eating when DD is home. Or one of the leaves can be left up all the time and the other side raised as needed. I think I saw one like this at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

http://uhurufurniture.blogspot.com/2...-table-95.html

This one at Ikea stores four chairs inside.

http://www.shetlink.com/classifieds/...php?ad_id=4222

Here is an idea for a drop leaf, portable kitchen island. How much space will you really need preparing food for two people? And if you put it on wheels, you can wheel it over when you need to work, roll it out of the way when you need more living room space.

http://denoxa.com/kitchens/contempor...hen-island_4_0
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #24
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

Sorry, just saw post #16.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #25
curious3069
Mouseketeer

Also google Tiny House plans...there was all kinds of information using that term.
curious3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #26
Jaya
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
HGTV (I think) used to have a show about living in small spaces. Maybe you could find some of the episodes on-line and watch them for ideas.

Last night on "you live in what?" there was a woman who lived in a caboose. I believe it was less than 400 sq and she used every inch. It was really interesting to see how she fit everything in there.
Did you see the episode about the guy who converted a garbage dumpster into a dwelling? He said the advantage was that he could just wheel it down the street to another spot. What a hoot!
Jaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #27
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
Did you see the episode about the guy who converted a garbage dumpster into a dwelling? He said the advantage was that he could just wheel it down the street to another spot. What a hoot!
No I missed that one! I'll have to see if I can find it on-line.

It's one of my favorite shows. I love to see how these people come up with unique ideas for homes. There are some that I would live in and others that I think "what the heck?!!"

The one the other night with the caboose was interesting. She did a really nice job with a very tight space. Not something that I could live in, but it was well done.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Personally I would make the "public" part of the apartment (Livingroom/kitchen...where I might be entertaining) larger and the "private" part (bedroom) smaller. I would probably make the bedroom big enough to accomodate my current bedroom set with some space to walk around the bed, but no more than that. I wouldn't be getting rid of the king bed either, especially if your DH is a big guy. Same with the bathroom...I'd make it a normal size bathroom but it doesn't need to be massive.

Other than that, the ideas PPs have given you are great!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: