Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #16
Angelhalo
Ok I was like crap I'm breaking rules and I'm gonna get points and I didn't even know I was breaking rules!!! LOL!!!

This sounds awesome to me. I have always hated feeling like I have to keep buying more and more to go with my gift because I know it will be opened in front of everyone and I don't want to look cheap. Sometimes my budget is just tight but I don't like looking stingy as EVERYONE in the room watches and takes pictures of the honored guest opening my gift.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

I like it. I went to a shower that did this a few years ago and it was lovely. The gifts were displayed and everyone could walk by and see the gifts if they wanted to. I hate sitting through a bride opening and endless pile of gifts and oooing and ahhhing while she holds up a crock pot. Saves time, money, and is better for the environment.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #18
poohfriend77
DIS Veteran

OK, I get that it is annoying when that one guest goes over the top and individually wraps each dish in a 125 pc setting, or each tiny item in a stuffed diaper bag. But does that mean no gift bags either? How do you get the stuff there, if it's more than one thing? And how does the recipient keep track of who brought what?

If I got an invitation like that, I'd feel the need to package it all in a cute basket or storage container. I wouldn't be able to help myself. So then the recipient ends up with a bunch of plastic/wicker baskets she doesn't need. Seems far less "green" than some gift bags that can be reused.
poohfriend77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
Stephanie711
Earning My Ears

I don't mind wrapping presents and I recently went to a bridal shower where we were asked not to wrap the gifts. I admit, I was skeptical and so was my mother. However, it worked out great. We just tapped our cards to the boxes and brought them in and put them on the table. One of the bridesmaids was in charge of arranging the table. It was a wonderful shower and no one seemed to miss the bride opening the presents because they were on display on a table and people leisurely walked over to it so see her gifts. There were a lot of older women at the shower and everyone seemed very receptive to the idea. I wouldn't mind if this trend continues
Stephanie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #20
lizabu
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Here they're asking that the gifts be brought before the shower so the hostess has time to arrange them. I usually drop off the gift and then don't attend the shower.
Haha...that would be me. Score..no crappy shower games and awkwardly sitting in a room full of people I barely know eating pink and blue food.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Hate wrapping gifts! I'd probably kiss the hostess for this one.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #22
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer

I'm 34 and family baby showers have often been "Please being baby food in lieu of wrapping." Sometimes they would ask for diapers instead of the food which my mom always found a stretch since a pack of diapers is way more the the cost of wrapping the gift.
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
LiveYourLife
I am the one who knocks...

"No Wrap" showers are becoming increasingly more popular. My Best Friend is a Party Planner in Chicago, and she says these types of showers are always requested.

I really wish these no wrap showers were "in" when I got married. There is only so much feigning excitement over kitchen items that I can pull off in a short period of time.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:09 AM   #24
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveYourLife View Post
"No Wrap" showers are becoming increasingly more popular. My Best Friend is a Party Planner in Chicago, and she says these types of showers are always requested.

I really wish these no wrap showers were "in" when I got married. There is only so much feigning excitement over kitchen items that I can pull off in a short period of time.
And it eliminates the silly "make a hat & veil out of the wrapping paper & ribbon" activity at showers!

snykymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
Jcricket Fan
UConn Basketball Fan

I love when I open these threads about showers because I then get to fondly remember the bridal shower I went to where the grooms family physically brought the washer & dryer they bought for the happy couple to the shower!

They really did...they unloaded the washer & dryer from a big truck and brought them into the reception hall. It's not as if the shower was at the furture bride's home so the washer & dryer would be left there. The family brought the W & D in and then took them out when the shower was over!

I had never seen anything like this in my life before. 25 yrs. later I still remember it like it was yesterday.

In keeping with the theme of the OP the Washer & Dryer weren't wrapped by the way!
Old 07-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #26
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikester View Post
I received a baby shower invitation that said "Please be a dear and wrap in clear". I have no idea what that means.
They have clear or colored cellophane that you can wrap things in. My guess is so people could see the gift but she didn't have to unwrap them? I guess in that case, why bother?

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 AM   #27
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I wish I had thought of the no wrapping paper idea for my bridal shower last year and baby showers this year. It took forever, especially with ribbons on the boxes, made a mess, and was total waste of paper.

And bags are just as bad. People kept saying "you can save the bag and use it again!" Guess what - I just put 25 baby shower bags in the recycle bin yesterday.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #28
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I am all for anything that makes baby showers fly by faster.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

I am in the over-50 crowd as well.

A "no-wrapping" shower wouldn't bother me in the least. For baby showers - I always try to get the diaper bag on the registry, and then cram it full of stuff, some on the registry, some not on the registry. I always have thought that this gift didn't need to be wrapped.

Now - I would use my better judgment if I was giving a gift that was multiple items, regardless of what the invite said, if I wasn't giving a diaper bag too.

And - sorry - I am not dropping off a gift prior to the shower unless it is in my subdivision. Who has time for that?

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:34 AM   #30
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebelle View Post
Just received an invitation to a wedding shower. The invitation said to not wrap the gift in order to save time. The shower is from 1:00-4:00 in a small church basement. What could possibly take so long? We will be there for three hours. There could not be that many people invited. The space is very small. Has anyone ever heard of this idea before?
I kind of like this idea! I HATE when I have to buy the gift bag, tissue paper, etc and spend another $5-$10 on top of the price of the gift only to have it ripped open and tossed in the trash right away.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: