Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #1981
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by donac View Post
I love Joanne Fluke's books. I have never tried her recipes. Maybe when it gets cooler.
I'm also a Joanne Fluke fan.
Right now I'm reading "Porch Lights" by Dorothea Benton Frank. I THINK that author was recommended to me here. I'd read one of her books several years ago and wasn't crazy about it, but I decided to give her a second chance. So glad I did! This is a great "beach read" kind of book, especially for anyone who likes the low country area (Hilton Head fans, for instance). I updated my goal to 75 on Goodreads, and even at that I'm ahead-#51!
Old 07-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #1982
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

Goal 72

#50 Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

Review from Goodreads:
“Black smoke stains a summer blue sky. A school is on fire. And one mother, Grace, sees the smoke and rushes. She knows her teenage daughter Jenny is inside. She runs into the burning building to rescue her.
“Afterwards Grace must find the identity of the arsonist and protect her children from the person who’s still intent on destroying them. Afterwards, she must fight the limits of her physical strength and discover the limitlessness of love.”
Was just ok for me. 2 out of 5 stars.

Book Challenge Goal 68/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #1983
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Quote:
I love Joanne Fluke's books. I have never tried her recipes. Maybe when it gets cooler.
I love her books!!! I've tried a bunch of her recipes, and they are all really good! Her cookie recipes are amazing, and there's a blueberry muffin recipe that is so good, people request that I make and bring them to gatherings! You won't be sorry if you try them!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #1984
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Goal - 100 books

Book #47 - "Beautiful Creatures" by Kim Garcia and Margaret Stohl

A supernatural love story, is the way I would categorize this book. Beautifully written, with characters you root for, and a plot line that is engaging! This is what I wanted the "Twilight" series to be! I would recommend this book a lot!

Can you tell I liked it?

Next up: Beyonders: Chasing the Prophecy by Brandon Mull

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees ~ I'll Be Seeing You
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #1985
Cogswel_Cogs
DIS Veteran

Anyone who might be interested I would love to send out a couple of kindle or nook gift copies of my latest work.

"Written for You" is a dark comedy with a mysterious twist to it.

Just put it out today for the Kindle and will be loading to Nook tonight.

Anyone interested just send me email.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...ritten-for-you
Old 07-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #1986
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

This has been a good week for reading -- raining everyday, DS was sick and no Internet.

#18 - The Bride Collector by Ted Dekker (very good)

FBI Special agent Brad Raines is facing his toughest case yet. A Denver serial killer has killed four beautiful young women, leaving a bridal veil at each crime scene, and he's picking up his pace. Unable to crack the case, Raines appeals for help from a most unusual source: residents of the Center for Wellness and Intelligence, a private psychiatric institution for mentally ill individuals whose are extraordinarily gifted.

It's there that he meets Paradise, a young woman who witnessed her father murder her family and barely escaped his hand. Diagnosed with schizophrenia, Paradise may also have an extrasensory gift: the ability to experience the final moments of a person's life when she touches the dead body.

In a desperate attempt to find the killer, Raines enlists Paradise's help. In an effort to win her trust, he befriends this strange young woman and begins to see in her qualities that most 'sane people' sorely lack. Gradually, he starts to question whether sanity resides outside the hospital walls...or inside.

As the Bride Collector picks up the pace-and volume-of his gruesome crucifixions, the case becomes even more personal to Raines when his friend and colleague, a beautiful young forensic psychologist, becomes the Bride Collector's next target.

The FBI believes that the killer plans to murder seven women. Can Paradise help before it's too late?

#19 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling (Good)

The war against Voldemort is not going well; even the Muggles have been affected. Dumbledore is absent from Hogwarts for long stretches of time, and the Order of the Phoenix has already suffered losses.

And yet . . . as with all wars, life goes on. Sixth-year students learn to Apparate. Teenagers flirt and fight and fall in love. Harry receives some extraordinary help in Potions from the mysterious Half-Blood Prince. And with Dumbledore's guidance, he seeks out the full, complex story of the boy who became Lord Voldemort -- and thus finds what may be his only vulnerability.

#20 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling (very good)

The heart of Book 7 is a hero's mission--not just in Harry's quest for the Horcruxes, but in his journey from boy to man--and Harry faces more danger than that found in all six books combined, from the direct threat of the Death Eaters and you-know-who, to the subtle perils of losing faith in himself.

Next book: House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker
2014 Disboard Book Challenge: 40 of 40 completed! WOOHOO!
DisneyWalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #1987
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Quote:

When I read one of books I read them out of order. The book I had read I want and wrote all the recipes down to try out. But I am a little afraid to try them because I made pumpkin spice cupcakes back in November that I had gotten off of a blog. That turned out to be a disaster because the cupcakes were so moist and wet that no one in my family ate them.

Finished the Joanne Fluke book this morning at 2am. So I am have now read 49 out of 80 books. Still reading Smokin' Seventeen. Added Tapestry of Fortunes by Elizabeth Berg.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #1988
zippitydoo
DIS Veteran

Book 25 of 30

Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich

2014 Book Challenge
Completed 55 of 75:
A Shade of Blood, A Castle of Sand, Takedown Twenty, Louisiana Longshot, Dirty Little Secrets, The One You Love, The One You Fear, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, A Shadow of Light, Hollow City, Room, The Barkeep, A Blaze of Sun, I Think I Love You, Broken, Body Movers, A Gate of Night, Trudge, Soldier On, In Harm’s Way, A Pound of Flesh, Taboo, Hide and Seek, Daddy’s Home, Weddings Can Be Murder, The Undead Heart, Moving Day, Monument 14, Sky on Fire, Savage Drift, NOS4A2, Her Last Breath, One Lavender Ribbon, Innocent in Las Vegas, Saving Grace, To Kill For, Awakening, City of Bones, City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, City of Heavenly Fire, A Break of Day, The Gray and Guilty Sea, Twenty-Eight and a Half Wishes, The Profiler, Too Close To Home, Hushabye
zippitydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #1989
tinkerbellfan6880
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippitydoo View Post
Book 25 of 30

Notorious Nineteen by Janet Evanovich
Read that awhile ago and I loved reading it. Janet Evanovich's books are so good to read.

2014 Reading Challenge: 21 out of 100 books

2013 Reading Challenge Completed: 92 out of 80 books read!
tinkerbellfan6880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 PM   #1990
nemofans
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynis View Post
Goal - 100 books

Book #47 - "Beautiful Creatures" by Kim Garcia and Margaret Stohl

A supernatural love story, is the way I would categorize this book. Beautifully written, with characters you root for, and a plot line that is engaging! This is what I wanted the "Twilight" series to be! I would recommend this book a lot!

Can you tell I liked it?

Next up: Beyonders: Chasing the Prophecy by Brandon Mull
I added this book to my list. I was not much of a fan of the Twilight books (or movies) & felt they could have been so much better. So your description for this book as what Twilight should have been, has me intrigued.

I've been BOO'd!!

8/2000 Grosvenor Resort (got engaged!), 11/2005 DL PPH CL, 12/2006 Poly, 02/2008 AKL, 2/2010 CR CL, 2/2011 DCL Magic, 11/2011 DL GCH, 10/2012 AKL CL

2013 Book Challenge: 87 out of 75 GOAL MET!!
2014 Book Challenge: 71 out of 85
nemofans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:10 AM   #1991
WowLookAtThat
DIS Veteran

Book # 56 Anne of Windy Poplars by LM Montgomery

Book #57 A Woman's View by Jeanine Basinger
Old 07-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #1992
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

#21 - House by Frank Peretti and Ted Dekker

The stakes of the game become clear when a tin can is tossed into the house with rules scrawled on it. Rules that only a madman—or worse—could have written. Rules that make no sense yet must be followed.

One game. Seven players. Three rules. Game ends at dawn.

I didn't really like this book. The story was slow and almost repetitive with poor character development.

Next book: Obsessed by Ted Dekker
Old 07-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #1993
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

17. The Sisterhood by Helen Bryan
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #1994
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

Goal: 75 books this year.

#66 down and done.

The Darling Dahlias and the Confederate Rose by Susan Wittig Albert. This is the third in the series about the Dahlias, the ladies of the garden club of Darling, Alabama, set in the middle of the 1930's during the depression.

With money missing from the county treasury, where Dahlia member Verna Tidwell runs the office, secret codes possibly dating from "the War of Northern Aggression" and the bizarre behavior of a local resident, Darling, Alabama on the eve of Confederate Day is anything but a sleepy little town.

This is a cute series, and I look forward to more.

Queen Colleen
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #1995
DisneyWalle
DIS Veteran

#22 - Obsessed by Ted Dekker

Oh my! One of the best books I have read in a long time. Highly recommended especially if you like Ted Dekker. Great book!

Stephen Friedman is making a good living in good times. He's just an ordinary guy. Or so he thinks.
But one day an extraordinary piece of information tells him differently. It's a clue from the grave of a Holocaust survivor. A clue that makes him heir to an incredible fortune . . . a clue that only he and one other man can possibly understand.
That man is Roth Braun, a serial killer who has been waiting for Stephen for thirty years. Roth was stopped once before. This time nothing will get in his way.

#23 - Death Comes to Pemberley by P.D. James

The basis for the story was good but I struggled with the book. It isn't a long story but James manages to draw it out and the characters I really wanted to read about didn't play main roles.

In their six years of marriage, Elizabeth and Darcy have forged a peaceful, happy life for their family at Pemberley, Darcys impressive estate. Her father is a regular visitor; her sister Jane and her husband, Bingley, live nearby; the marriage prospects for Darcys sister, Georgiana, are favorable. And preparations for their annual autumn ball are proceeding apace. But on the eve of the ball, chaos descends. Lydia Wickham, Elizabeths disgraced sister who, with her husband, has been barred from the estate, arrives in a hysterical stateshrieking that Wickham has been murdered. Plunged into frightening mystery and a lurid murder trial, the lives of Pemberleys owners and servants alike may never be the same.

Last edited by DisneyWalle; 07-28-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: