Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #1726
Kat73
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenrice View Post
I'm happy to report that I did the 3.53 miles in a 12:22 pace. So, I ended up taking it easy AND staying under my target pace of 12:30.

Nice job!!! I've been having a bit of muscle soreness this week too, but mine also goes away once I run a bit and hasn't really bugged me enough to set off any alarm bells. Here's hoping we all stay healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
Hey guys- I'm so glad to read about everyone having good training runs lately. On the other hand, I'm having a bit of a self pity party right now. I caught an awful cold and my throat feels like its on fire! So I missed my planned run last night and not feeling too positive about tomorrow's. I hate when life messes with my perfectly planned training runs! I feel like I've let myself down. I was on a great pace to meet my early stage training plan goals and now I'm feeling behind and we've barely started!

Do you guys rest or run when you feel sick? Usually I can run thru the sniffles but when it's fatigue and my throat sore, I have to take that day off (or two).
awww sorry you're not feeling well! Being sick in the summer is the worst. If I'm just running to run and not training, I take time off. While I'm training, I'd probably try to power through it at a slower pace/ less distance unless it was deep in my chest. Hope you feel better and that you're getting lots of TLC at home!

For my part I am a couple weeks ahead of the Galloway plan and so today was scheduled 6.5 miles. I powered through that and made it to 7.15! Seems like once I get past 3.5-4.5 miles on my long runs, I can conquer anything. Kept my pace about where it's been for the past two weeks, at about 13:30 which I'm more than happy with for now. The best part was that I kept the pace easy (THOUGHT I was going slow... AGAIN) and didn't feel overly worn out/winded so hooray!

Good luck to everyone fitting a long run in around the weekend. Weather's been great near the Ohio River for running this week!

Pre-Thanksgiving 1989 Sept 11 2001 POFQ May 2002 CBR May 2003 Poly May 2004 Pop & CR Dec. 2005 POFQ & Poly First Solo trip-Feb. 2009 Girl's Trip Sept 2009 SSR F&W Oct. 2010 Pop F&W Half Marathon Nov. 2013
Kat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:59 PM   #1727
dmross
Coffee and the Castle? Happy times.

Quote:
Hey guys- I'm so glad to read about everyone having good training runs lately. On the other hand, I'm having a bit of a self pity party right now. I caught an awful cold and my throat feels like its on fire! So I missed my planned run last night and not feeling too positive about tomorrow's. I hate when life messes with my perfectly planned training runs! I feel like I've let myself down. I was on a great pace to meet my early stage training plan goals and now I'm feeling behind and we've barely started!

Do you guys rest or run when you feel sick? Usually I can run thru the sniffles but when it's fatigue and my throat sore, I have to take that day off (or two).
I agree with Capeseal that you know your own body... If fatigue due to illness gets me, I'll back off on a run and just walk. That gets me out the door to avoid the psychological aspect of missing a training run... I agree that skipping runs can get easier even if the reasons are valid from time to time. I've found that running is very much a mind game for me. That means pushing myself when I don't have anything left AND backing off when I become aware that I could get sicker or injured. Running has really taught me to listen to my mental chatter and to be aware of my physical condition.
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #1728
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmross

I agree with Capeseal that you know your own body... If fatigue due to illness gets me, I'll back off on a run and just walk. That gets me out the door to avoid the psychological aspect of missing a training run... I agree that skipping runs can get easier even if the reasons are valid from time to time. I've found that running is very much a mind game for me. That means pushing myself when I don't have anything left AND backing off when I become aware that I could get sicker or injured. Running has really taught me to listen to my mental chatter and to be aware of my physical condition.
See this is my issue as well. I've become more in tune with my body and my mind and heart during the last few years of running so I now have strategies to get me out the door when I "don't feel like it" and I can also tell when I'd be pushing myself too far physically. The only problem is that I haven't quite figured out good strategies to hold myself back when I know I shouldn't push myself. I'm just a little too stubborn sometimes for my own good!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Figment1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:40 PM   #1729
fruitcakes24
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
So what does everyone have planned for their weekend runs?
My training plan has 5 miles for the long run for weeks 9-12 (24 week program, finishing up week 9 tomorrow). I'm trying to trust.the.plan since it's working so well, but I'm so ready for the longer mileage!

Lushes unite!

currently in training for...dumbo's double dare 2014 & wine & dine 2014

completed...princess half marathon 2013, wine & dine 2013, and glass slipper challenge 2014
fruitcakes24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #1730
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

You know you are dedicated when you wake up early on a Saturday morning for a run, find it is pouring rain and you don't roll over and go back to bed.

6.5 soggy miles complete.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #1731
fruitcakes24
Earning My Ears

Quote:
You know you are dedicated when you wake up early on a Saturday morning for a run, find it is pouring rain and you don't roll over and go back to bed.

Nice job!!! I won't run in pouring rain, but I love a drizzle.

Lushes unite!

currently in training for...dumbo's double dare 2014 & wine & dine 2014

completed...princess half marathon 2013, wine & dine 2013, and glass slipper challenge 2014
fruitcakes24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #1732
Jenn310
Mouseketeer

I woke up and thought for sure I heard rain and went nooooo lol It really wasn't though. I got 7 miles in in 69 minutes,with negative splits,I'm thrilled!
Still hating FL humidity even before 7 am!
Hope everyone has good runs this weekend!
Jenn310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #1733
dmross
Coffee and the Castle? Happy times.

Quote:

Sounds like you are having the same weather that I am. Nice job!!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #1734
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Hal Higdon told me to run 4 miles today and RunKeeper said 5. I went with Hal since I am trying to be very careful with my back right now after I had to end my Thursday run soon after starting due to pain. Anyway, felt a few twinges in my hip and didn't finish feeling as loose and relaxed as usual but, I got through it, which felt like a big deal to me. Took it very easy with 10:30 miles. If my back feels good, I'll go out tomorrow and do 3 miles and if it doesn't feel good, I'll do a 30 minute run in the pool.
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #1735
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Well I did it! I did my planned 4 miles today, and so technically, I only missed one maintenance run this week. Not a perfect score but today's run felt good and I feel good now afterwards too. Still sniffly but not as bad as yesterday! I'm glad I didn't run Thursday night though, my throat was definitely not up for it. Onward to next week! I'm excited to reach next weekend because that was my self-imposed deadline for seeing if I was able to come back from early summer injuries and truly start adding distance for the wine and dine. I think I am going to be able to do it! My knee feels good, my foot feels acceptable, and my speed is pretty much back to normal.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and company on this run disney journey!

First trip: Mar 90, Polynesian Most recent trips: Feb '14, Princess 1/2 - GF; Jan '14, Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon! - GCH; Nov '13, Wine & Dine 1/2Marathon - BWI! In-between: Grand Floridian, AKV-Kidani, Poly, WL, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Coronado Springs, Disneyland Hotel
Old 07-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #1736
pix13dust
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well I did it! I did my planned 4 miles today, and so technically, I only missed one maintenance run this week. Not a perfect score but today's run felt good and I feel good now afterwards too. Still sniffly but not as bad as yesterday! I'm glad I didn't run Thursday night though, my throat was definitely not up for it. Onward to next week! I'm excited to reach next weekend because that was my self-imposed deadline for seeing if I was able to come back from early summer injuries and truly start adding distance for the wine and dine. I think I am going to be able to do it! My knee feels good, my foot feels acceptable, and my speed is pretty much back to normal.

Great job Figs!!!

I finished my 4 miles today , even though I feel like a slug it really didn't seem that hard. My problem is " dayum! I'm slow " I can't seem to break a 15 minute mile. I think the back of my race shirt will read " Race Official - Do Not Sweep ".

Hope everyone had/has a great run this weekend!
Melinda
pix13dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:00 PM   #1737
capeseal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitcakes24 View Post
My training plan has 5 miles for the long run for weeks 9-12 (24 week program, finishing up week 9 tomorrow). I'm trying to trust.the.plan since it's working so well, but I'm so ready for the longer mileage!
Sometimes it is tough to hold back when you feel ready to move on. What plan are you using? Are you running or run/walking? Of course, you are right, if the plan has been working so far, probably not a great idea to mess with it too much

Quote:

I hope you gave yourself some sort of reward for that run! I do not go out to run in pouring rain unless I've paid to do it . Awesome job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn310 View Post
I woke up and thought for sure I heard rain and went nooooo lol It really wasn't though. I got 7 miles in in 69 minutes,with negative splits,I'm thrilled!
Still hating FL humidity even before 7 am!
Hope everyone has good runs this weekend!
Excellent on the negative splits. I don't have any current routes that make it easy to do them but I really should pace myself better earlier in my runs so that I have more energy to power through my hills later. Thanks for reminding me of this. Maybe I need to find a flatter route so that I can work some negative splits into my final miles when my mileage increases.

Quote:

Excellent! I also missed one maintenance run this week and beat myself up a bit even though I know it was necessary. Here's to getting all of our runs in next week. What is your run schedule? Mine is 3m x 3 days and then a 5 mile on Saturday. That is excellent that you are in a place where you can move past your injury. Here's to many healthy training runs for you in the coming weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Great job Figs!!!

I finished my 4 miles today , even though I feel like a slug it really didn't seem that hard. My problem is " dayum! I'm slow " I can't seem to break a 15 minute mile. I think the back of my race shirt will read " Race Official - Do Not Sweep ".

Hope everyone had/has a great run this weekend!
Melinda
I love how casual Disney runs are. SO many walkers and run/walkers are cheering each other to the finish line. You are training well in front of sweeper pace time and getting your training sessions completed. You are going to rock Wine and Dine and stay far out in front of those sweepers.
capeseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #1738
Figment1990
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeseal

Sometimes it is tough to hold back when you feel ready to move on. What plan are you using? Are you running or run/walking? Of course, you are right, if the plan has been working so far, probably not a great idea to mess with it too much

I hope you gave yourself some sort of reward for that run! I do not go out to run in pouring rain unless I've paid to do it . Awesome job!

Excellent on the negative splits. I don't have any current routes that make it easy to do them but I really should pace myself better earlier in my runs so that I have more energy to power through my hills later. Thanks for reminding me of this. Maybe I need to find a flatter route so that I can work some negative splits into my final miles when my mileage increases.

Excellent! I also missed one maintenance run this week and beat myself up a bit even though I know it was necessary. Here's to getting all of our runs in next week. What is your run schedule? Mine is 3m x 3 days and then a 5 mile on Saturday. That is excellent that you are in a place where you can move past your injury. Here's to many healthy training runs for you in the coming weeks.

I love how casual Disney runs are. SO many walkers and run/walkers are cheering each other to the finish line. You are training well in front of sweeper pace time and getting your training sessions completed. You are going to rock Wine and Dine and stay far out in front of those sweepers.
My schedule is a 3.5 miler, 4 miler and either a long or speed interval run for the third run of the week. I try to make one of the first two runs a run that is a hilly route, but that's not always possible. Then I do 1 day of cross training and 2 days of just core and leg pt exercises (which are basically a series of plyo moves and other strength moves). When I start glass slipper training I'm going to switch that xt day to a walk or run day but I have many months before then.... (Thank goodness!)

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #1739
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capeseal

Does taking the kids to the park and Children's Museum for 4 hours count as a reward or punishment? My clothes were hanging over the tub all day and are still soaked.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #1740
heyitsmejosh
DIS Veteran

did my 4 miles today with a 13.11 pace not too bad considering it was about 94 degrees out but it was a little easier when you have a view like this to run along

heyitsmejosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: