Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #1081
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

This was my 3rd time to Alaska and my first Alaskan cruise on DCL. The cruise was awesome and any one on the fence about going should do it! Having been to the the ports before I only did 1 shore excursion and that was in Ketchikan. In Skagway you can walk right to town or take the shuttle which is $2 each way or $5 all day it is not that far but for those with mobility issues it is a great idea. Skagway and every port have the Tanzanite and Diamonds International store but Skagway has the most uniquely Alaskan gifts. There is a wonderful Christmas store towards the end of the street. There are only 2 streets. Lots of hand made items I collect the stacking dolls and bought one here. I had wanted to do horse back riding with the cruise line but I did not pre book it and waited too late. I really did not want to go riding in the rain. It was beautiful that day. I asked on the ship and it was sold out before getting on the ship and they only take 10 riders. At the beginning of the street there was the Alaskan t shirt store. Think Walmart and dollar store. Great prices though. If you buy an Ulu knife you will get it back when you get to Vancouver. Juneau we had our own shuttle for the cruise line that was free. It drops close to Mt Roberts Tramway. The Tram cost $29 for all day. I had wanted to do it but did not. We just shipped here and had some cokes at the Red Dog. Ketchikan we shopped In the morning. We dock late so make sure you have breakfast if you have a late tour. Again lots of jewelry stores. The Christmas shop here has a real Santa for picture but most of the things were made in China and Taiwan. No offense to them but I want made in Alaska. I did buy a crab for my Camilla bracelet which was very reasonable. As you walk towards the back go towards Creek street and you have more unique store with some hand made items. We ran back to the ship before the Bearing Sea Fisherman tour. I booked this thorough the company which saved me $30 per person the Disney cost I rink was $189. If you are a fan of Deadliest Catch do the tour. The ship was the Aleutian Ballad which was featured on season 2. It is currently on Netflix now. They talk about the ship and the TV show at times. It was colder than I thought it would be they do have heaters but I would suggest wearing warm clothes. They do have big jackets for you to wear if you are cold. They do a great job for those that are in wheel chairs or are handicapped. You will get to see lots of eagles, crabs, star fish and even a octopus and a shark. Great photo ops to with you holding a crab too. The best tour.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #1082
pequele
Some people think they are cool because they can hide behind a screen! Don't choke on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meekins View Post
Just back from the July 15th cruise - here are our excursions and thoughts:

Juneau: Whales and Glacier Photo Safari via DCL (but run by Gastineau Guiding)
This was absolutely amazing - loved it and very family friendly. Short, easy hike through the rainforest to a few glacier viewpoints (not close to the glacier, but still beautiful) then back on the bus for a quick snack and to the harbour for whale watching. We were out in the boat for around 2 - 2.5 hours - saw seals, whales (humpbacks) and sea lions and eagles. The guide was great and so the was the captain. Since the excursion was about photography the guide also spent some time explaining how to take a good photograph and helping people with their digital camera learn how to use some new settings vs. having it continuously on AUTO. The total time was 5 hours - DD loved it all.
I am so excited to hear about this tour. My 5 yo has picked this out for our trip next year so I hope they offer it...yup he picked taking pictures over sled dogs! He is excited about "getting a camera!". I have a feeling we will have a camera full of pics of the floor before we even leave the dock!

I saw someone else post about the Annette Island tour and was glad to see that as well. My son also picked out this one instead of lumberjacks because he gets to make a drum! Anyone else go on this trip? I hope they offer it again next year. I am not very adventursome when it comes to booking something not with DCL, it makes me too nervous! It worries me more that it will only be myself and my 5 yo on the trip!

BTW I saw an old post for excursion times back in 2011 or something like that. Does anyone have info on times for these above 2 trips and also Liarsville for this year? I figure 2013 will be closer to 2014 info than 2011 haha.

Thanks

DL: '77,'88,'89,'90,'98, 2/12-WDW:CBR-pirate room, 12/12: AKV-Kidani , 5/13 AKV-Jambo and Kidani split with a DCL 3 night Bahamian Cruise on the Dream, 10/13 AKV-Kidani, 5/14 Alaskan 9 Night Cruise on the Wonder 10/14 B2B 4 nighters on the Dream including a double dip at Castaway Cay 7/15 Baltic 12 Nighter including Germany
pequele is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #1083
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskigrl View Post
How did the timing work on this? We also want to do both of these things in Juneau but we want a little more time at the glacier than the DCL excursion provide (we want to do the walk to the waterfall, etc).

I have read a few reports that say the independant companies will drop you off at the glacier after the whale watching. That is what we are hoping to do and then just take one of the buses back.

But I'm worried about time. How early can we book a whale watching trip? What time do you get to the glacier, etc?

So I would love to hear some accounts from those that have done both and how much time you had for each. Thanks
Sorry for the delayed response! I was out-of-town yesterday and not able to respond. Our excursion time was 8:00. We met our guide at 7:50 at the end of the gangway. We were back to the ship about 11:30, ate lunch and went to catch a bus to the glacier. We took a 1:00 bus and were at the glacier from 1:30 to 3:30. We felt this was more than enough time. You can easily walk to Nugget Falls and back in an hour, with time to enjoy the view at the end of the trail.

If we had been dropped off by our whale watching guide, we would have been at the glacier by 11:30ish, which would have allowed loads of time. We didn't do this because we knew our kids would need to eat lunch (or we wouldn't have enjoyed the glacier much!). I would recommend packing some granola bars or something if you plan to go straight to the glacier. Even if your excursion didn't start until 9, if they take you to the glacier, you will still have plenty of time.

Remember you need cash to ride one of the buses back--$8 per person. They pick up on the hour and half hour.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions or I need to clarify.

P.S. There is a path next to the parking lot with raised platforms for bear viewing. No bears when we were there, but it was a nice path to explore. We did the Nugget Fails trail and this path in less than an hour and a half. We did not see the exhibits or film in the visitor's center. Also, you can find highly recommended whale watching excursions on trip advisor. Several great companies to choose from.

Last edited by MickeyMomTo2; 07-26-2013 at 04:03 PM.
MickeyMomTo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #1084
MKRuns 26
Mouseketeer

Great thread! Thanks everyone for their reviews of the port adventures, they have helped me plan for my 9/2 sailing.

One question that I haven’t found much info on, has anyone been on one of the bike cycling excursions? I am an avid cyclist and would love to ride in Alaska at one of the POC.
Disney Magic- X 4

WDW- More times then I can count
DL- Soon
MKRuns 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #1085
SeattleSuz
DIS Veteran

Skagway has a really nice hike not too far away from the downtown area, as does Juneau. Does DCL go into Haines or is that dock too small??

I used to work for a small ship cruiseline where the core product was Alaska, so I am somewhat familiar with some of these ports, and things to do there, other than shop or go on super expensive excursions...

Suz (40) DH-Matt (39) DD-Ariel (6)
SeattleSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1086
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post
Sorry for the delayed response! I was out-of-town yesterday and not able to respond. Our excursion time was 8:00. We met our guide at 7:50 at the end of the gangway. We were back to the ship about 11:30, ate lunch and went to catch a bus to the glacier. We took a 1:00 bus and were at the glacier from 1:30 to 3:30. We felt this was more than enough time. You can easily walk to Nugget Falls and back in an hour, with time to enjoy the view at the end of the trail.

If we had been dropped off by our whale watching guide, we would have been at the glacier by 11:30ish, which would have allowed loads of time. We didn't do this because we knew our kids would need to eat lunch (or we wouldn't have enjoyed the glacier much!). I would recommend packing some granola bars or something if you plan to go straight to the glacier. Even if your excursion didn't start until 9, if they take you to the glacier, you will still have plenty of time.

Remember you need cash to ride one of the buses back--$8 per person. They pick up on the hour and half hour.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions or I need to clarify.

P.S. There is a path next to the parking lot with raised platforms for bear viewing. No bears when we were there, but it was a nice path to explore. We did the Nugget Fails trail and this path in less than an hour and a half. We did not see the exhibits or film in the visitor's center. Also, you can find highly recommended whale watching excursions on trip advisor. Several great companies to choose from.
Thank you so much!!! That was exactly what I was wondering about. My Mom will be with us and while she would have no problem walking the distance to Nugget Falls, I didn't want to have to hurry her. Sounds like we will have no problem doing both things

I had read that there was no food allowed at the glacier so we will be sure to keep that in mind and have some prepackaged snacks for us to eat before we get there.

Oh, I did think of one question. Was there a lot of people waiting for the buses for the ride back around that time (3:30)? One thing I am worried about is being able to catch a bus back when we need to.

Thank you again
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #1087
lynnemcb
Mouseketeer

Hi we were on the 1july Alaska cruise and did various excursions. In Skagway did Chilkoot tours excursion with dog sledding and Yukon railway. We had bus up to the yukon. Stopped at Carcross a small village and then went to the dog sledding and had lunch. On the way back took the train down to Skagway. Tour was about 7 1/2 hours. Was great and tour guide was very interesting. Kids loved petting the puppies and the 15 minute dog sled.

In Juneau went on whale watching tour with Alaska Galore because again we have kids. Very informative shuttle driver and then on small boat -4 of us and 2 others. Was excellent. Spent a good bit of the watching a mother and baby whale breaching. So close up. Then we got shuttle to drop us at Medenhall Glacier for 5 dollars each and spent some time in visitor centre. After being so close to swayer glacier in Tracey arm this was a short visit. We caught a taxi back for 35 dollars and as shuttle back would have been 8 dollars each this was great.

In Ketchikan we took the only disney excursion. Eh and DD went snorkelling -they both felt this was the best excursion they were on. Had really warm wetsuits. Me and DS went on dune buggy excursion up the mountains. This was very good also. Would recommend both excursions and not any cheaper to book direct than through disney.

In Alaska saw whales, seals, sea lions, eagles and two bears -mother and baby on Skagway day. All in all a great cruise and I think whatever excursion you pick will be good. However some of the helicopter tours were cancelled last minute and we know that by time this happened in some cases there was no other excursions with spaces left. That would be my only concern if you were planning on the helicopter rides
1998/99 - offsite, 2000 - WDW Inline Hockey Tournament, 2001 - Offsite, 2002 - Offsite, 2003 Bought DVC - Vero & BW, 2004 - WDW BW/ OKW/ SS, 2005 -WDW OKW, 2006 - Disneyland Paris /WDW OKW, 2007 - DCL Eastern & SS / Lanzarote 2008 - Paris/ DCL Western & WDW SS, 2009 -New York /DCL Eastern & WDW AKL April 2010 - DCL Med Cruise Oct 2010 - OKW , SS and Atlanta 2011 LA / Disneyland/WDW Disney Dream, 2012 Disneyland and DCL Hawaii, 2013 DCL Alaska, Vancouver and LA, 2014 Las Vegas
lynnemcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #1088
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Thank you so much!!! That was exactly what I was wondering about. My Mom will be with us and while she would have no problem walking the distance to Nugget Falls, I didn't want to have to hurry her. Sounds like we will have no problem doing both things

I had read that there was no food allowed at the glacier so we will be sure to keep that in mind and have some prepackaged snacks for us to eat before we get there.

Oh, I did think of one question. Was there a lot of people waiting for the buses for the ride back around that time (3:30)? One thing I am worried about is being able to catch a bus back when we need to.

Thank you again
We took the 3:30 bus, and there was no problem. There were two buses at 3:30 (white and blue), so there was plenty of room. The 3:30 bus gets you back in plenty of time, but I would have preferred the 3:00 bus just to be on the safe side and because we were ready to return by 3:00. The problem for us was that we bought round-trip tickets for the blue bus. The blue bus took people to the glacier at the top of the hour and took people back to Juneau at the half hour. There must have been two white buses because they picked up in both places on the hour and half hour. You won't have this problem because you are paying cash for one way, so you can just get on the first bus that comes when you are ready to head back. If you do decide on the 3:30 bus, there should be plenty of room. (The driver did tell us that the buses are more full on the days when other excursions--like flightseeing--are cancelled due to weather. If that happens to be the case when you are there, you might plan to try for an earlier bus, but he said they can cram a lot of people on those buses!)
Old 07-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #1089
Meekins
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequele View Post
I am so excited to hear about this tour. My 5 yo has picked this out for our trip next year so I hope they offer it...yup he picked taking pictures over sled dogs! He is excited about "getting a camera!". I have a feeling we will have a camera full of pics of the floor before we even leave the dock!

I saw someone else post about the Annette Island tour and was glad to see that as well. My son also picked out this one instead of lumberjacks because he gets to make a drum! Anyone else go on this trip? I hope they offer it again next year. I am not very adventursome when it comes to booking something not with DCL, it makes me too nervous! It worries me more that it will only be myself and my 5 yo on the trip!

BTW I saw an old post for excursion times back in 2011 or something like that. Does anyone have info on times for these above 2 trips and also Liarsville for this year? I figure 2013 will be closer to 2014 info than 2011 haha.

Thanks
I can only comment on the timing for the Whales and Glaciers Photo Safari - which was from ~ 10:30 (or we had to be in the lounge at 10:30 and then led down to the bus) and we were back to the boat slightly before 4pm. I thought the timing was good with the exception of the fact that because Juneau is such a short time in port and the stores I wanted did not open until 10am. We took the free shuttle into Juneau just before 8 and walked around for an hour - anything touristy was open of course, but I wanted glacier silt soap (did not open until 10am) and of course crab for lunch (but it was too early for them to be open and ready to serve lunch). Overall though - seeing the glacier and the whales/wildlife made up for the lack of time to tour Juneau for shopping...there is always next trip
Meekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #1090
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMomTo2 View Post
We took the 3:30 bus, and there was no problem. There were two buses at 3:30 (white and blue), so there was plenty of room. The 3:30 bus gets you back in plenty of time, but I would have preferred the 3:00 bus just to be on the safe side and because we were ready to return by 3:00. The problem for us was that we bought round-trip tickets for the blue bus. The blue bus took people to the glacier at the top of the hour and took people back to Juneau at the half hour. There must have been two white buses because they picked up in both places on the hour and half hour. You won't have this problem because you are paying cash for one way, so you can just get on the first bus that comes when you are ready to head back. If you do decide on the 3:30 bus, there should be plenty of room. (The driver did tell us that the buses are more full on the days when other excursions--like flightseeing--are cancelled due to weather. If that happens to be the case when you are there, you might plan to try for an earlier bus, but he said they can cram a lot of people on those buses!)
Oh good - that sets my mind at ease. Sounds like they plan for the amount of people that will need to get back at that time.

I have been following along on your trip report also. It is all making me so excited for Alaska next year. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it through the next year of waiting to go
DCL: Wonder - January 2011, Dream - B2B April 2011, Wonder - April 2012 (MR), Wonder - Sept 2012 (Pixar Pacific Coast), Fantasy - June 2013 (Eastern), Wonder - May 2014 (Cruise to Nowhere), Wonder - August 2014 (Alaska)

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:03 PM   #1091
MickeyMomTo2
Lauren S. @baseballsbows

Quote:
Oh good - that sets my mind at ease. Sounds like they plan for the amount of people that will need to get back at that time.

I have been following along on your trip report also. It is all making me so excited for Alaska next year. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to make it through the next year of waiting to go
Thanks for reading my TR. One of the nice things about booking last minute was I didn't have to wait!

Also, keep in mind that not all the ships leave at the same time, so not everyone utilizing the bus service from the glacier is a Disney passenger, and they don't have to have the 3:30 bus.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #1092
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnemcb View Post
Hi we were on the 1july Alaska cruise and did various excursions. In Skagway did Chilkoot tours excursion with dog sledding and Yukon railway. We had bus up to the yukon. Stopped at Carcross a small village and then went to the dog sledding and had lunch. On the way back took the train down to Skagway. Tour was about 7 1/2 hours. Was great and tour guide was very interesting. Kids loved petting the puppies and the 15 minute dog sled.

In Juneau went on whale watching tour with Alaska Galore because again we have kids. Very informative shuttle driver and then on small boat -4 of us and 2 others. Was excellent. Spent a good bit of the watching a mother and baby whale breaching. So close up. Then we got shuttle to drop us at Medenhall Glacier for 5 dollars each and spent some time in visitor centre. After being so close to swayer glacier in Tracey arm this was a short visit. We caught a taxi back for 35 dollars and as shuttle back would have been 8 dollars each this was great.

In Ketchikan we took the only disney excursion. Eh and DD went snorkelling -they both felt this was the best excursion they were on. Had really warm wetsuits. Me and DS went on dune buggy excursion up the mountains. This was very good also. Would recommend both excursions and not any cheaper to book direct than through disney.

In Alaska saw whales, seals, sea lions, eagles and two bears -mother and baby on Skagway day. All in all a great cruise and I think whatever excursion you pick will be good. However some of the helicopter tours were cancelled last minute and we know that by time this happened in some cases there was no other excursions with spaces left. That would be my only concern if you were planning on the helicopter rides

What did they like about the snorkeling excursion? Got some fish who just might enjoy it.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #1093
EeyoreIsMyName
DIS Veteran

2013 PORT ADVENTURES
SKAGWAY-MUSHER'S CAMP & SLED DOG EXPERIENCE
We had the 10:45 am MUSHER'S CAMP & SLED DOG EXPERIENCE port adventure. We met in Studio Sea and were escorted to the van. Our driver was Jerry and he did a great job of explaining the local history of Skagway and pointing out buildings and businesses of interest. Unfortunately, his microphone was not operable which made it difficult for anyone not sitting in the first couple of seats to hear anything he said on the journey. Once we arrived at the camp, we crossed the stream full of spawning pink salmon to the modern bathrooms that were installed fairly recently (no more porta potties). We were loaded into a Unimog for the ride up the mountain. This road is full of switchbacks and some bumps, but suprisingly the ride was pretty comfortable. Christine met us and we were taken to the summer dog sled vehicle which looks a lot like a converted golf cart. The dogs were barking and jumping and basically ready to go if we would only get on so they could run!!!!! The sleds hold 6 individuals so we were paired with another family of 3 for the ride. I was able to take some pictures from the dog sled before we started off. We stopped about halfway around the mile track and Christine took pictures of us in the vehicle and from the front of the vehicle so you could see all the dogs. She also took one from her vantage point behind the vehicle where she stands when the sled is running. When we arrived back at the starting point, we were given time to pet and interact with the dogs and take pictures. We were loaded back into the Unimog and went part way down the mountain to a scenic overlook. I took some pictures here (the Disney Wonder was in the background--way in the bakground!) but you could see the mountains and water as well. We arrived back at base camp where the dog musher delivers his talk. We were told we could use the bathrooms, which we did, but when we came back out the musher had disappeared and by the time we located him, he was most of the way through his talk. I did think they could definitely do a better job of keeping groups together when we passed from Jerry to the musher at this point. Since we got to hold older and then 2 week old puppies right after this, I just brushed off the fact that I had missed this portion of the experience. The puppies were adorable and we got lots of pictures with each of us holding the puppies. The experience was well worth the price and we were all very pleased with this port adventure. Jerry dropped us off in town (note that this excursion does not return you to the ship dock). We stopped at a couple of shops in town and then returned to the ship.

KETCHIKAN-RAINFOREST WILDLIFE SANCTUARY, RAPTOR CENTER & TOTEMS
We had scheduled the 11:15 am Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary, Raptor Center & Totems port adventure. We met in the Walt Disney Theatre and were escorted to the buses. The guide took us through Ketchikan to the Rainforest Sanctuary. We unloaded and were offered ponchos in case of rain and instructed to leave all edible food products (including gum and breath mints) in the bins. These items would be returned to us at the end of the excursion. Our guide was Adam. He was the youngest guide at the sanctuary and he wants to work in the Forest Service when he finishes college. We began our hour rainforest hike. Adam stopped multiple times along the way to show us trees, plants, flowers and berries. He also asked many times if anyone had any questions which was nice. He answered any questions that were asked and he was very professional and knowledgeable. This was a nicely paced walk that was accommodating to any individuals with disabilities or handicaps (as long as you are ambulatory and can walk without assistance). We saw Sitka spruce, red cedar, blueberries, salmonberries, recent bear tracks, bear trails, bear scat (look it up if you dont know what it is), former bear caves in tree roots, and a muskeg.

When we completed the rainforest walk, we came out on a covered walkway along the stream and estuary. An eagle flew in and landed on the railing of the walkway and we could see pink salmon running in the stream. Adam heard a mention on his radio that a bear had been spotted in the rainforest near the estuary. I saw the black bear emerge from the rainforest. It was a young cub of about 1 ½-2 years old. He bounded across the stream and headed into the undergrowth of the wall on the far side of the stream. I kept a lookout in that vicinity and in about 6-8 minutes he came out of the undergrowth again.

Since everyone had a picture, we proceeded to the former sawmill on the property. They had much of the original equipment still there as the sawmill closed in 1999 (I believe). You could see large samples of Sitka spruce, yellow cedar and red cedar cross cuts. They have estimated that the Sitka spruce sample was about 500 years old.

We went into the Raptor Center next where a guide had a Great Horned Owl to show us. I was able to get close up pictures of the owl with no eyes open, one eye open and both eyes open. They also have a bald eagle there so I took pictures of her as well. Both birds had wing injuries and cannot be released into the wild so they take care of them at the sanctuary.

Our next stop was to visit the 5 caribou. These reindeer were rescued from a sausage factory in Russia (yes, folks, if you see reindeer sausage on the menu, it is not a euphemism for something else&it IS reindeer sausage!-yuck!). We were given lettuce to feed to them and the guide there told us about them and answered questions.

The last stop on the tour was the carving shed of Wayne Newsom master totem pole carver. He was working on a large salmon sculpture that will be displayed along the walkway by the stream/estuary. Wayne said he will make a carving of all 5 types of salmon in his spare time between carving totem poles. He has carved all of the totem poles in front of the sanctuary. I took some time to photograph them. Wayne said his tallest totem pole is 43 high! His totem poles are all over the country. When he finishes carving one, his wife paints them. Wayne is a Tsimpshian from a Native community in Metlakatla on Annette Island.

After the tour is completed, you can sample some snacks in the gift shop and get a drink (included with your tour), use the bathrooms or shop. I was able to locate a stuffed husky dog here and took some pictures of the large taxidermy bear in their display case. We all felt this port excursion was well worth the price as we got to see a lot of things we were interested in..and a bear! We were taken by a different guide by bus back to the ship dock.

We walked across the street to Christmas in Ketchikan. We had visited this store two years ago and wanted to pick up a hand painted Alaska Christmas ornament. We found one with the glacier reflected in the water and the Northern Lights in the sky we absolutely LOVED. I also found another stuffed husky dog that needed to go home with us (if I keep this up, Ill have a sled dog team!).

2011 PORT ADVENTURES-
SKAGWAY-KLONDIKE GOLD DREDGE & WHITE PASS RAILWAY
We did the Klondike Gold Dredge and White Pass Railway. You ride the train up and a van back down on this trip. You will need your passport since the train disembarks at Fraser, British Columbia. My parents listened to the narration inside the train car while I stood outside on the apron taking pictures. Dont miss the shots of the train going over the trestle bridge or into the tunnel. My tip is to get into a car near the back so you get better shots of the train (a longer line of train cars) as it curves around these bends. I did feel a little like I had missed out by not hearing the narration, but the photos were worth it. Another tip is to sit on the left side of the train car for best viewing.

The van driver stopped at the Welcome to Alaska sign on the way back down and took pictures of us in front of it. He did a great job of narration on the way down also. We stopped at the Klondike Gold Dredge where we watched a gold panning exhibition and heard historical facts from a "colorful character" of the Gold Rush time period. then, we were taken to the gold panning area. They give you a pan loaded with dirt. Every pan is guaranteed to have gold in it. When we finished, our gold was placed into film canisters. We took it into the Gold Shack where they weighed it. You can also have it made into a necklace. They have gold nuggets and lots of gold jewelry for sale here. You return to town to shop (and then make your own way to the pier) or return directly to the pier.

We recommend this excursion and would do it again. We did do some shopping in Skagway at William & Anthony, the Skaguay News, and Tanzanite International. William & Anthony is a clothing store mostly, but we found some cute moose & bear neck pillows (for airplane usuage) and Dad got a heavy Alaska sweatshirt. It is his favorite sweatshirt to this day.

JUNEAU-MENDENHALL GLACIER EXPLORER
Our port excursion was to Mendenhall Glacier. It was late leaving the ship which cut out time short at the glacier. This is the only time that has ever happened to us with DCL excursions. We had a nice narrated bus ride to the glacier. It was mid-July so we passed some rivers with salmon spawning. The visitors center has a good movie about glaciers and how they are formed-very interesting and wonderful photography. The rangers usually have a piece of glacial ice in the visitors center that you can touch and photograph. We talked to one ranger for awhile. I walked down a trail to Lake Mendenhall and took pictures. A large chunk of glacial ice was on the bank of the lake so I touched it and photographed it also. The salmon viewing platform was a good location to photograph salmon and bears. The bears were there fishing.

Again, we would recommend this port adventure and we would do it again. We did some shopping in Juneau at Tanzanite International and Caribou Crossings.

KETCHIKAN-GREAT ALASKAN LUMBERJACK SHOW
We had tickets for the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show port adventure. I dont remember meeting up on ship for this excursion. I remember shopping in Ketchikan and then just walking into the Lumberjack Show. They divide the audience into two sections. Our section was the Dawson Creek side. You get to see a variety of lumberjack events-chain saw, carving little chairs from chain saw, axe throwing, two person crosscut saw, underhand chop, pole climb, log roll, boom run, springboard chop). You can get some excellent photographs here as well (as long as the child in front of you stays in their seat!). We enjoyed this port adventure and would do it again if the opportunity arose.

We did some shopping in Ketchikan at Tongass Trading, Tongass Trading's Inside Passage, Christmas in Alaska, the Salmon Landing Market (lots of stores are in here), and the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Store gift shop.

You can read my full trip report here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3150787

EeyoreIsMyName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #1094
erk711
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2redheadgirls View Post

Juneau -- We did the Disney Alpine Zipline and Mendenhall Glacier Tour. It was good also. Lots of time in the van. We went to the Glacier park first and it was about 20 minutes to make it to the Glacier and then we had about an hour there. There is a Visitor Center that has great views of everything and explains all about the forming of glaciers and other neat things. There is also a small store with books and stuffed animals and other things. There is a point that you can walk out to and get some wonderful pics of the glacier and waterfall. There was a Park Ranger stationed at the point and he was great for answering questions and all. There is also a path to get to the base of the waterfalls, we did not go because it was a mile there and another mile back and we would have had to practically run to make it back by the time we saw everything else. It would have been neat, but cutting it close to do it all in an hour -- or maybe we are just slow . After we left there it took about 40 minutes to get to the zipline course. Once we got to Alaska Zipline Adventures, we met our guides - Sarah and Greg. They walked us thru getting geared up (they provided jackets because of the tree sap and possibility of rain and helmets)and info on how to do it, then it was time to hit the course. It consisted of 7 lines and a suspension bridge. It was great! There were 8 of us on our excursion, from about 10 yrs old to about 50 yrs old and everyone had a blast. We even learned some botany along the way. They told us about the trees, climate, and different interesting things about the plants along the way. Once finished with the lines, we got to try our hand at ax throwing. That was interesting, and WAY harder than it looked! Then we got to de-robe from the gear and make some smores and watch a video of the pics they took along the way. We took our own camera with us and got some good pics. We were offered water and granola bars in the lodge to snack on and then there was coke products for purchase as well as a zipdrive with all the pics on it the guides took for $29.99. A little steep in my opinion, but some in our party took advantage of that since they didn't have their own cameras with them. It was an amazing adventure and I would do it again.
I just booked this one and have a couple of questions. The current description has the Zipline first and then the glacier. Is it possible this changed? Also, is there room for me to have a bigger camera on the Zipline or should I stick with a point & shot or my iPhone?
Celebrated 25th Anniversary sailing on the Pacific Pixar Wonder Cruise Sept 30/12
Celebrated DS 19th Birthday sailing to Alaska on the Wonder August 19/13
Celebrating DD 19th Birthday sailing on the Dream to Nassau May 4/15
erk711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #1095
momto2redheadgirls
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by erk711 View Post
I just booked this one and have a couple of questions. The current description has the Zipline first and then the glacier. Is it possible this changed? Also, is there room for me to have a bigger camera on the Zipline or should I stick with a point & shot or my iPhone?
Our guide informed us once we got in the van that we were doing it in reverse order from what the description onboard stated. I really don't know why unless it was the amount of people at the zipline place??? We had a Canon Rebel DSLR camera with a neck strap and had no problem with it. We just made sure we always had the strap around our neck. They are ok with whatever you have, they just give the disclaimer that you need to hold on to it or zip it in the pocket. Hope that helps!
momto2redheadgirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: