Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #61
littleorangebird
Oh Meyla Weyla ♕

Although a Phineas and Ferb themed experience would go great in the Captain EO theatre, it is also a very risky move. It could be popular at the moment, but it most likely won't be in 5 years from now.

I would really to see them bring back the Dreamfinder and create a new updated ride that is similar to the original JII and use the trackless ride system technology used in Mystic Manor and Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

littleorangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 PM   #62
phineasfan100
Mouseketeer

Restore the pavilion back to its FULL, ORIGINAL form. The only updates I'd make are technical updates that will not be noticed by guests. Put whatever Disney wants into the theater, just make it good and fit with the theme and make sure to open the upstairs.

phineasfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #63
circus4u
Mouseketeer

Back in the mid 90's, I remember hearing and reading a lot of criticism about Imagination in the local media. Can't remember all the details, but much of it revolved around there just being a bunch of "painted cardboard." And, gasp, some discussion about how Figment needed to go. Seems things have come full circle now. And for the record, I really did like the original Imagination.

On a similar note, there is a lot of discussion going on now about World of Energy. Although I really enjoyed the dinosaurs in that attraction, I hated the very long movie at the beginning of the ride as well as the long, boring movie at the end. I think the current version is much better than the original.
circus4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #64
sweetnjmom
Mouseketeer

I'll just be sad if Figment is gone.

That's all.

Past trips off property: 4/80, 1/81, 6/94 and 5/09
Past trips on property: 8/90 GF, 10/96 CBR, 11/01 ASM, 5/02 POR, 5/06 CSR
sweetnjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #65
JetsetJAK
Mouseketeer

I doubt that they'd get rid of Figment, since I feel like Disney has finally accepted him as sort-of the mascot of Epcot. There was that pin set they released back on October 1st for the park anniversary and Figment was on each and every one. And I remember lack of Figment being one of the main complaints about the 2nd version of the ride back in 2000.

I wouldn't expect them to go back to the way the ride originally was though, since wouldn't that essentially be like Disney saying they were wrong to change it in the first place? I honestly can't remember...has there ever been a time where Disney changed an attraction and then went back and restored it years later to the way it was? (I don't mean like when they painted Universe of Energy back to its original color scheme, I mean actually restoring a whole attraction to its original version)

Of course, all this being said, it's not like I work for Disney, so what do I know?

When I was in Disney last year, I enjoyed how the song that played on the buses as you pulled into Epcot was a version of "One Little Spark". I wonder if they'd change that if the Imagination pavilion is closed for the whole year.

Fall '89 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Spring '94 - offsite (Orlando Twin Towers)
Fall '00 - offsite (Delta Orlando Resort)
Fall '10 - All-Star Movies
FALL '12 - ALL-STAR MUSIC
JetsetJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #66
ToadLives
Earning My Ears

They changed Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management back to its original form.
ToadLives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #67
patsal
I've discovered I don't need to be a control freak...and like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleorangebird View Post
Although a Phineas and Ferb themed experience would go great in the Captain EO theatre, it is also a very risky move. It could be popular at the moment, but it most likely won't be in 5 years from now.

I would really to see them bring back the Dreamfinder and create a new updated ride that is similar to the original JII and use the trackless ride system technology used in Mystic Manor and Pooh's Hunny Hunt.
I wouldn't consider P and P a risky move afterall they still show the old, sad, outdated and not interesting Captain EO (special tribute, right) heck they even printed retro tshirts for the occasion...and before that for longer than was interesting Honey I shrunk the Audience.

Seriously in a world where the technology used here has been taken to so many new levels they should be ashamed that this pitiful theater is even still open. Just because Epcot is large deosn't mean there are a lot of attractions there. It is only a full day park because it is so spread out.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #68
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

In my ideal world, you retool the ride to more closely resemble the original...and you put a Phineas and Ferb 3-d movie in the theaters, specifically dealing with imagination.

Then, if P&F get stale 5 to 10 years down the road, you just replace with a new film (easier than retooling the entire ride).

But...honestly...look at Ellen's Energy Adventure. The movie portions of that ride are ancient. They haven't retooled that, yet.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #69
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
In my ideal world, you retool the ride to more closely resemble the original...and you put a Phineas and Ferb 3-d movie in the theaters, specifically dealing with imagination.

Then, if P&F get stale 5 to 10 years down the road, you just replace with a new film (easier than retooling the entire ride).

But...honestly...look at Ellen's Energy Adventure. The movie portions of that ride are ancient. They haven't retooled that, yet.
I wonder if they are waiting for the improved digital projection systems before coming up with a new film for there, similar to what I believe is holding them back from updating Soarin'.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #70
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I wonder if they are waiting for the improved digital projection systems before coming up with a new film for there, similar to what I believe is holding them back from updating Soarin'.
Maybe. But the content for Ellen was getting long in the tooth 10 years ago, before Soarin was even built....there's always going to be SOMETHING newer, and bigger, and better, and prettier in terms of projection equipment, coming down the pike. Eventually you just have to bite the bullet.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:42 PM   #71
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilferk View Post
Maybe. But the content for Ellen was getting long in the tooth 10 years ago, before Soarin was even built....there's always going to be SOMETHING newer, and bigger, and better, and prettier in terms of projection equipment, coming down the pike. Eventually you just have to bite the bullet.
It isn't the projection equipment - it's converting to digital projection instead.

Well, if you read the thread about the rumored update to Soarin', I mention that current digital projection technologies just aren't up to snuff on REALLY large screens...problems with brightness and resolution. What passes for "Digital IMAX" is actually projected smaller than most real IMAX films. But they should have something out later this year that solves that.

I don't recall the screen dimensions in the Imagination pavilion to know if its big enough to qualify.

Ellen might have similar issues, but I think in several cases its several projectors working in tandem. And a bunch of them.

It always comes down to the dollars though. If they are going to update something, it needs to be worth the $$.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 07-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #72
Tinkerboy00
DIS Veteran

Ive never seen EO and have no desire to. We ride figment every once in awhile but not every time we go to the park. I honestly haven't fully explored that pavilion.

However, it would be nice to get something really new and exciting in there.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #73
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerboy00 View Post
Ive never seen EO and have no desire to. We ride figment every once in awhile but not every time we go to the park. I honestly haven't fully explored that pavilion.

However, it would be nice to get something really new and exciting in there.
Not much to explore, at least not without going out of bounds for guests

On the theater side, you basically stand in a long hallway area for a while, then you go into the very large pre-show area and watch a "making of" video (that area is big enough to be its own theater), and then you go into the theater itself Although there is some decoration to the theater to match EO, it's all rather nondescript.

I never saw Captain EO on its initial run...saw it twice when it came back...once only because I never saw it and was killing time before heading home, had a Fastpass, and needed to sit for a while (wasn't feeling well...at a party over at Universal, I ate something that turned out to have strawberries in it, which I'm allergic too...fortunately realized it before ingesting too much). THe second time was ONLY because the family hadn't seen it yet.

It was, frankly, horrible. And I grew up on 80s music and MTV. The quality of the video was poor, the special effects was poor...the asteroid looked like a rock from someone's back yard. If George Lucas was ashamed of the Star Wars Holiday Special, which he had little to do with, I can't imagine he hasn't disowned this...

I think closing Captain EO would actually be an improvement, because it at least brings the hope that something else might happen...

Old 07-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #74
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Not much to explore, at least not without going out of bounds for guests

On the theater side, you basically stand in a long hallway area for a while, then you go into the very large pre-show area and watch a "making of" video (that area is big enough to be its own theater), and then you go into the theater itself Although there is some decoration to the theater to match EO, it's all rather nondescript.

I never saw Captain EO on its initial run...saw it twice when it came back...once only because I never saw it and was killing time before heading home, had a Fastpass, and needed to sit for a while (wasn't feeling well...at a party over at Universal, I ate something that turned out to have strawberries in it, which I'm allergic too...fortunately realized it before ingesting too much). THe second time was ONLY because the family hadn't seen it yet.

It was, frankly, horrible. And I grew up on 80s music and MTV. The quality of the video was poor, the special effects was poor...the asteroid looked like a rock from someone's back yard. If George Lucas was ashamed of the Star Wars Holiday Special, which he had little to do with, I can't imagine he hasn't disowned this...

I think closing Captain EO would actually be an improvement, because it at least brings the hope that something else might happen...
I saw EO in Dinseyland back in the late 80's (89, maybe?). It was, I think, the first 3d movie I'd ever seen of that type. For that,it was impressive. But I remember thinking the effets were not nearly as impressive as my beloved Return of the Jedi.

We saw it again, last trip, because my kids had never seen it and I was up for a little nostalgia. We laughed...because the costuming is so 1980's, and the effects are so cheesy, it's like watching a good "bad" B-movie (SHARKNADO!!). But I don't think we'd go see it again. Once (OK, twice for me, I guess) was enough.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #75
swarlock
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
I know everyone would love to see Imagination revert to it's former glory. Is it more likely that we'll see a V4 instead of a return to V1, though?
It's probrably cosmetic renovations for the inside of the building. It's anyone's guess.
swarlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: