Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Parents beware... Watch your kids

Just off the Dream and I will be posting a full review in the coming days but I wanted to get this out. As an EMT working emergency medicine for both an ambulance service as well as a 911 helicopter rescue service I have seen my share of dangerous situations. In my opinion (for what it's worth) the Mickey pool, frankly both pools but especially the Mickey is probably one of the potentially most dangerous places I have encountered. As many of you are aware this is a small shallow pool. At one point on our sea day I counted 60 plus kids (stopped counting at 63 as i was watching my child and didn't want to turn around) in this pool all jumping around, bellyflopping etc... Disney provides no supervision or staff to help enforce the rules, many of the parents are just as useless. It only takes one accidental kick to the head or another child jumping in knocking your kid over possibly causing them to be unable to regain his or her balance. The purpose of my message is to remind you not to take your eyes off of your kids on the pool deck.
jockotaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Moxin
Mouseketeer

As the parent of a 4 year old, I concur...and am often amazed at how many people leave their young ones alone in the pool and wander off. I am a hawk when my daughter is in the pool.
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
kgc07
Mouseketeer

I believe it is always a parents responsibility to watch their children. Disney does not provide lifeguards and it is posted. Thanks for the reminder. I. Think many people get caught up in the magic of vacation and sometimes forgt this!

July 07 Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf (DVC members)
May 08 AKV 2 bd concierge , May 17-24 '09 AKV concierge , May 8 - 14 '10 AKV Concierge
May '11 Disney Mothers Day cruise & AKV
June 2012 Star Wars Weekends & November 2012 Fantasy cruise
May 2013 Star Wars weekends AKV club level & November 2013 Fantasy cruise
May 2014 Bay Lake Towers & AKV club level & December 2014
May 2015 AKV CL, Disney Dream, The Dark Side
kgc07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
wcw57
DIS Veteran

wellllll-

it never hurts to repeat the obvious- - - - HOWEVER, those who watch their kids will continue to do so and those who don't can't be convinced by any post...sadly

each year there is a litany of pool drownings yet each following year (or week) there are more incidences.

and don't forget that many parents don't admonish their children because they are made of gold and don't want to hurt their feelings...

this is a whole can of worms u have opened here
Old 07-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #5
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Oh yes I know it's a big can of worms and the debate around parental responsibility and lifeguards will continue. I am currently at Disneys Vero Beach Resort and I counted 4 lifeguards all helping to enforce the rules. Why is this a standard at a Disney Resort but not a Disney cruise ship. I Have cruised on other lines I know the cruise standard is no lifeguards but I have never seen such a crazy situation as this. The difficult part for me is I have 3 kids and only 2 parents. Although 2 of my kids are proficient swimmers it was still very concerning. So the simple answer of watch your kids is not always the right answer. I guess I'm not sure why Disney apparently values the rules and lives of those at pools at the resorts more than at sea...
Old 07-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #6
nugov2
DIS Veteran

I thought this article that I read was good after the near drowning. I think parents are responsible for watching their kids, but think lifeguards on board are important with the large crowds on board or at least have someone limiting how many are in the pool at once. The pictures of the pools I've seen are just plain scary. I am not a cruiser, but my kids wouldn't be playing in any pool that is as crowded as the pools are in the pictures. Just too much chaos. I am curious how accurate the statement is that DCL encourages parents to allow their children to go explore the ship on their own....I hope that is over exaggerated...if not

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/04...erned-cruiser/
nugov2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I can't believe after the last tragic accident DCL hasn't changed any of its policy practices regarding the pool. That's just crazy.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
letsgoreds
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
i can't believe after the last tragic accident dcl hasn't changed any of its policy practices regarding the pool. That's just crazy.
this 100%.
letsgoreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
Ofinn
DIS Veteran

Parents should not only watch their kids, but also teach them to swim. I see way to many kids over the age of three that cant swim.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
mjaclyn
Currently in Wonderland

OP - When did you see the pools that crowded? We are going on the Fantasy next month and my kids really enjoy being in the pool. DH and I have never EVER left them unattended at any pool and this will be no exception. However, when the pools get VERY crowded it can sometimes be difficult to keep track of two kids running in different directions among 60 others. That being said, we will NOT be going to the pool when it's super crowded. I know probably after lunch is bad...did you notice any other times? When would the best time be to take the kids to the pool?

As far as lifeguards go... I think they SHOULD be on the ships. No, a lifeguard is not and never should be used as a substitute for parents watching their own kids. However, when pools get so crowded that it's hard to keep an eye on them because there is so much activity, that's when I think lifeguards would help. Not as a babysitter, but as a supplement to a child's parent.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofinn View Post
Parents should not only watch their kids, but also teach them to swim. I see way to many kids over the age of three that cant swim.
It's not the ability to swim to me. My kids can all swim. But one slip and fall, one accidental jump from another child onto mine or a swift accidental foot to the head could be enough to knock a child out. I don't care how good of a swimmer you are if you get your head clocked hard enough you could be in trouble. To add to it Disney does a great job of distracting both adults and kids in the pool. Funnel vision is constantly playing movies, characters are walking along deck 12 waiving, alcohol is freely flowing etc... This is not like my pool at home where the kids have very little distraction taking them away from swimming compounding the difference is my pool is more than twice as big with 15 or 20 people in it at most.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaclyn View Post
OP - When did you see the pools that crowded? We are going on the Fantasy next month and my kids really enjoy being in the pool. DH and I have never EVER left them unattended at any pool and this will be no exception. However, when the pools get VERY crowded it can sometimes be difficult to keep track of two kids running in different directions among 60 others. That being said, we will NOT be going to the pool when it's super crowded. I know probably after lunch is bad...did you notice any other times? When would the best time be to take the kids to the pool?

As far as lifeguards go... I think they SHOULD be on the ships. No, a lifeguard is not and never should be used as a substitute for parents watching their own kids. However, when pools get so crowded that it's hard to keep an eye on them because there is so much activity, that's when I think lifeguards would help. Not as a babysitter, but as a supplement to a child's parent.
I would say from 10-5 on the sea day. The pool started clearing out between 4 and 5. We were off the ship most of the port days although when we got back on they were pretty busy but manageable. As far as lifeguards go I would at least appreciate a staff member or two enforcing the rules. I'm not on board to be another child or a parents parent.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
runskyhy
It's not less monkey, it's Moe Monkey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
I can't believe after the last tragic accident DCL hasn't changed any of its policy practices regarding the pool. That's just crazy.
I noticed several racks full of children's life vests near by the Donald/Mickey pools on the Dream earlier this month. I don't recall ever seeing that before. Could this be a result of the incident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockotaco View Post
It only takes one accidental kick to the head or another child jumping in knocking your kid over possibly causing them to be unable to regain his or her balance.
jockotaco, did you notice if the vests were still available by the pool on your cruise? I don't think a life vest is a substitute for keeping an eye on a family member, but it could help if someone accidentally loses their balance.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any life vests by the adult pool for weak swimmers of my size.

RC Oasis, Western Caribbean 03/2014
Disney Fantasy, Western Caribbean 05/2012, 10/2013
Disney Dream, Bahamas 03/2011, 07/2011 , 07/2013
Disney Wonder, Bahamas 03/2006, 03/2009, 10/2009, 02/2013
Caribbean Princess, NE & Canada 10/2012

Disney Magic, Eastern Caribbean 10/2011
Coral Princess, Southbound Inside Passage 06/2010
Carnival Ecstasy, Key West & Cozumel 03/1995
WDW, FL 05/1992, 02/2010, 09/2010, 02/2013
West CA 01/2010, NV 4/2012, AZ 3/2013
runskyhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
klr6773
Mouseketeer

I think that having a lifeguard stationed at the Mickey pool would just give some parents an even bigger pass to ignore their duty to supervise their own kids! I don't think it would be fair to be able to give a lazy parent someone to blame if their kid got hurt.

I'm thinking the best way to handle the Mickey pool is to have someone stationed there to limit the number of kids that are allowed in the pool at any one time. Say max,20 kids.They get 15 minutes of water play,then everybody out and the next group of kids get a turn. While it seems extreme, we as parents know it's not always easy to keep our eyes on our own multiple kids. Why expect a lifeguard or two to watch 50+ ??

I've already told my girls don't expect pool time on the boat if they're packed. We'll do a pool day at Port Orleans before sailing and plenty of time for raisin fingers on the islands!

RCCL "Nordic Empress" '96 & '97 Bahamas x2
Celebrity "Mercury" '99 Western
Celebrity "Zenith" '04 Bermuda
Disney"Wonder" '08 4N Sea/3n land (POFQ)
Disney "Fantasy" '13 Eastern
klr6773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #15
jockotaco
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by runskyhy View Post

I noticed several racks full of children's life vests near by the Donald/Mickey pools on the Dream earlier this month. I don't recall ever seeing that before. Could this be a result of the incident?

jockotaco, did you notice if the vests were still available by the pool on your cruise? I don't think a life vest is a substitute for keeping an eye on a family member, but it could help if someone accidentally loses their balance.

Unfortunately, I didn't see any life vests by the adult pool for weak swimmers of my size.
Life vests are available and work great for non swimmers. You wouldn't catch my 2 older kids in them, can't imagine that fight.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: