Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM   #136
Cafeen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbob View Post
1Concerning "day of" FP+ availability, As I've always said, IF we can still get a decent selection on the day of, FP+ might be a net positive. But I recall the T&Cs explicitly stating that you had to opt OUT of FP if you use FP+.
One thing to think about, with Boom's initial post, is that the "FP+" and "FP-" system will be the same, both under the FP+ "flag". The difference is pre-booked vs same day and not likely to be truly different systems (again, as described in the original post). This leads me to believe that there will be some overlap (even just during the testing phases) where both systems will be operational and that's what this precludes, not necessarily the pre-booked/limited vs same day/pull when window opens sets. I could be wrong of course, but that's how I'm seeing it now. (As a note, this is basically how I originally envisioned it, where "FP-" didn't really exist but the functionality was rolled into the FP+ system. Of course, without "FP-", the "+" doesn't make much sense in the branding, but that's beside the point ).

Quote:
We did not spend a billion dollars on FP+, we spent a billion dollars on the nextGen project, which includes upgrading ticketing, transportation, and merchandise to RFID, upgrading FP to FP+ and approximately 20 other projects, all centered around the new network backbone. We have only rolled out a few of these projects so far. The biggest part of the project is the part that no one will see - the world wide 'common' infrastructure (8 years in the planning BTW).
This is something else that I've been thinking about, and it seems that my logic got it right again. The FP+ portion of the system upgrades is only part of the whole (though, the whole looks a lot larger than I imagined... and some of it rather tantalizing for my nerdy self). While we focus on the FP+ portion of the overall system, it's really about much more than that. Makes me wonder if replacing the existing resort and dining systems to a fully integrated one is also included in this "World Wide 'Common' Infrastructure" thingy...hm.

Now, I still have issues with IT as they've yet to put out a decent, guest-facing, fully functional, up-to-standards piece of software over the past 4 years that I've been around these parts. Mostly looking at the WDW sites (there have been 3 major versions over 4 years) and the mobile Apps. Much of this may also lie on the PM people designing the stuff, as the issues doesn't necessarily stem from coding, but rather design (except the performance stuff...)

Lastly, I also have qualms about pushing the processing power to personal mobile devices and the expectation that we'd prefer to manage it all, in the park, with devices that aren't yet up to the task of holding enough charge.

At any rate, those are my 3 cents and enough to give me the little white arrow on the thread folder to find this again in the future

Next Trip: NOT Solo... 10/17-10/27 @ Pop/CBR split. This time with Brother, Sister-in-Law, Nephew, and Mom (well, at least mostly not solo.)
TRs: Learning to NOT Photograph Fireworks Behind Trees (Sept 2012 PTR (no TR... yet?)
New Camera? Sounds like a perfect excuse for another Disney trip! (Sept 2011 PTR/TR)
Cafeen takes it slow in Sept... (Sept 2010) || Daddy for a week... - (Sept 2009)
Old 07-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #137
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

I'm an iphone junky - so I don't say this as a technologically challenged old fuddy-duddy... but I don't want to be on my phone all day trying to schedule FP's.

What I wish they'd do is keep the old system - with respect to having to walk up and use a kiosk at each attraction whether that's with your magic band or a paper ticket or whatever.

Then give you the ability to pre-schedule 3 rides as a perk or bonus. If for some reason you can't make the scheduled time - those FP's are just lost to you for that ride. It was a perk/bonus to begin with and since you can still get same day FP it shouldn't harm you to lose out so long as it wasn't Disney's fault, i.e. a transportation issue for example.

This way - it's really like visiting the parks right now and the FP+ is simply a bonus to preschedule up to three of your favorite rides. Miss the return time - go try for a same-day FP.

Also I'm curious what the limits will be since they say there has to be some kind of trade-off if you use FP+. For example, if I schedule a FP+ for Peter Pan at 11AM do you suppose the trade off is that I can't get another same-day FP at a walk up kiosk until after that? Not a problem since I can be there at RD and ride stuff via stand-by, but if I schedule my three attractions for say after dinner - then not allowing a same day FP until I use those would be very punitive. So curious to see how they work that out. I'm thinking maybe no same-day FP within a two-hour window of your scheduled ride times, so very much like the current system. If you schedule a ride at 6PM you can get all the same day FP that the current system allows - until 4:00 when your window would "close".

Last edited by SoonerSean; 07-26-2013 at 10:18 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #138
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

I love it! A Boom posts new information about FP+ that appears to be the best of both worlds (with wiggle room to grow/change/adapt) and it still isn't good enough.

The more I hear, the bigger fan I am of FP+.
1. Standby waits will go down or at least stay the same
Here's how: The # of FPs will stay the same. But some (a small few) of your FPs will be booked in advance so you can A. Make sure you ride it and B. plan your day around it.

2. Disney will know who will be where and when, allowing for CM movement, staffing, and perhaps opening new registers at nearby QS places.
"Wow, at 11:30, there will be a lot of activity near Splash and BTMRR! Let's open a few more registers at Pecos Bill's at noon."

3. Disney is doing this because they want to make money. And they make money by providing the best experience for as many guests as possible!!!
If a clueless first-time visitor is told my their friends, neighbors, families that TSMM is an absolute must-do and your Disney vacation is incomplete without it....but they show up at 1:00pm and try to get a FP? They'll wait until 8pm to ride. What if they have small kids who can't stay out that late? What if they have an ADR at 7:30? They'll miss TSMM and think their vacation is incomplete.... And they'll be unhappy and disappointed.

Sure, WE know how to ride TSMM....but the other 80% of WDW visitors are SOL on a regular basis!

4. I'm sure the % of people who actually plan their WDW vacations like we do is small. It will be a fraction of visitors that actually have pre-booked FPs to the good stuff. I'd bet like BOG that TSMM will be the first to go. But at the MK, what is everyone's top three FP must dos? Is it BTMRR? Is it Splash? Space? Pan? Buzz? Belle? Dumbo? Pooh? Parade? Wishes? For every family it will be different. I don't do "thrill rides," so mine would be BTMRR, Pan and Buzz. (Let's not forget about 7 dwarfs mine ride...) There will be plenty of choices for all.
And if you can't prebook both Test track and Soarin, then you get there at RD and standby the one you can't pre-book. But you'll walk right on your secondary FPs - Maelstrom and Mission Space. or whatever your family wants to do...

5. How fun would it be to finish up QS at Pecos Bills and receive a text from Disney "We've noticed you're finishing up lunch. Would you like a FP to Pirates to be used in the next 30 minutes?"
Maybe Disney realizes that Adventureland is not very busy, but Frontierland is getting crowded and it wants to entice me back to Pirates. So I think to myself, "hey, wanna walk around the corner and ride Pirates with zero wait right now? yes, please!"

Someone explain to me how any of this is bad?

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
Old 07-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #139
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

4 kiosks per land won't be enough! Look at how backed up the stations at TSM get. There are certainly way more than 4.

When Fantasyland is wall to wall people, I'd expect enormous lines at 'only' 4 kiosks.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #140
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post
I love it! A Boom posts new information about FP+ that appears to be the best of both worlds (with wiggle room to grow/change/adapt) and it still isn't good enough.

The more I hear, the bigger fan I am of FP+.
1. Standby waits will go down or at least stay the same
Here's how: The # of FPs will stay the same. But some (a small few) of your FPs will be booked in advance so you can A. Make sure you ride it and B. plan your day around it.

2. Disney will know who will be where and when, allowing for CM movement, staffing, and perhaps opening new registers at nearby QS places.
"Wow, at 11:30, there will be a lot of activity near Splash and BTMRR! Let's open a few more registers at Pecos Bill's at noon."

3. Disney is doing this because they want to make money. And they make money by providing the best experience for as many guests as possible!!!
If a clueless first-time visitor is told my their friends, neighbors, families that TSMM is an absolute must-do and your Disney vacation is incomplete without it....but they show up at 1:00pm and try to get a FP? They'll wait until 8pm to ride. What if they have small kids who can't stay out that late? What if they have an ADR at 7:30? They'll miss TSMM and think their vacation is incomplete.... And they'll be unhappy and disappointed.

Sure, WE know how to ride TSMM....but the other 80% of WDW visitors are SOL on a regular basis!

4. I'm sure the % of people who actually plan their WDW vacations like we do is small. It will be a fraction of visitors that actually have pre-booked FPs to the good stuff. I'd bet like BOG that TSMM will be the first to go. But at the MK, what is everyone's top three FP must dos? Is it BTMRR? Is it Splash? Space? Pan? Buzz? Belle? Dumbo? Pooh? Parade? Wishes? For every family it will be different. I don't do "thrill rides," so mine would be BTMRR, Pan and Buzz. (Let's not forget about 7 dwarfs mine ride...) There will be plenty of choices for all.
And if you can't prebook both Test track and Soarin, then you get there at RD and standby the one you can't pre-book. But you'll walk right on your secondary FPs - Maelstrom and Mission Space. or whatever your family wants to do...

5. How fun would it be to finish up QS at Pecos Bills and receive a text from Disney "We've noticed you're finishing up lunch. Would you like a FP to Pirates to be used in the next 30 minutes?"
Maybe Disney realizes that Adventureland is not very busy, but Frontierland is getting crowded and it wants to entice me back to Pirates. So I think to myself, "hey, wanna walk around the corner and ride Pirates with zero wait right now? yes, please!"

1. Standby lines staying the same sounds reasonable. I see nothing wrong with that. However I thought that part of the idea was to decrease the length of lines?

2. I like this one. Advantage for Disney and maybe even for visitors if staffing levels are corrected quickly.

3. I see nothing wrong with Disney making money. It is however possible that those who are clueless about TSMM fastpasses now will be just as clueless with the new system. At least at first.

4. This is very possible but still an unknown. If it works the same as it does now I see no advantage but also nothing negative.

5. Um, no. We won't be checking phones and might not even carry them. We like to travel light. But kudos to those who do it differently.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #141
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSean View Post
I'm an iphone junky - so I don't say this as a technologically challenged old fuddy-duddy... but I don't want to be on my phone all day trying to schedule FP's.

What I wish they'd do is keep the old system - with respect to having to walk up and use a kiosk at each attraction whether that's with your magic band or a paper ticket or whatever..
I'm not all for it, but I feel the choice will be up to me if I want to check for changes etc.

BUT-just this March, I walked into IG around lunch.

SIMPLE QUESTION: "Are there any FP's left for TT, and if so-what are the return times?"

Dazed and confused mean anything to you?

Ultimately was told to walk the 1/2 MILE over to fountain, tilt your head up and there will be a sign telling you the information, or walk directly to TT and when you are about 100 feet away-you will be able to see if the machines are covered. That means they are all dispersed for the day.

Then walk 1/2 MILE back.

At least get these:

Or from your lounger at SAB-just check on you iphone with new system.

Last edited by jade1; 07-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #142
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjakmom View Post
Thanks for that info Will. The 2nd post has, however, taken away any positive reaction I had from the 1st.
I never bought into the "good" news of the first Admiral post... and the second one just put the nails in the coffin.

Colonel Jessep: You want answers?
Lt. Kaffee: I think I'm entitled to them.
Jessep: You want answers?
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessep: You can't handle the truth!
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #143
mom2aandj
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would not find this fun at all, spending our entire lunch (or even day) constantly checking the phone for surprise FPs. Or conversely, missing out on FP opportunities because we aren't constantly monitoring the phone.
Mar 2014
BLT: Mar 2014
CBR: Oct. 2009
Universal
PBH: Oct. 2010
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #144
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
I noticed this morning that the OPs source posted some further information, and since it's publicly available, I thought I'd pass it along. Interesting stuff.
Thanks Will - I lost my internet access yesterday afternoon, so I wasn't able to post the info or add some clarifications to other posts in this thread.

I'll just add a couple of final notes:

1 - Boom isn't saying anything that is restricted or confidential, hence violating any NDAs. She understands that issue as well as anyone, having worked with WDI since before WDW opened.

2 - It also means that she can give us *general* information, but not many details.

3 - The veracity of whatever Boom says is good as gold, as far as many of us are concerned.

4 - In response to a post a couple pages back, I can assure you that I'm *not* Boom. If I were, my 2004 marriage proposal would have been quite awkward. (She turned me down, anyway.)

And now back to the office, where I will probably again not have access to read or reply for a while. (Is our network being outsourced to WDW IT or something?)
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #145
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:

I don't play on my phone all day at Disney. I'm not one of these people freaking out about dead batteries because I'm not on my phone enough on a Disney vacation to make it die. So constantly checking my phone is just not something that holds any appeal for me.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #146
jtowntoflorida
Looking Like I Can't Really Afford To Go To Disney Since 2012!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
4 kiosks per land won't be enough! Look at how backed up the stations at TSM get. There are certainly way more than 4.
But right now the only option for FPs at TSM IS the kiosks. With the new system you'll have the kiosks, plus the roving CMs armed with iPads (presumably more at busier times of the day), plus guest devices.

The TSM lines aren't that long anymore anyway, now that they've done away with a RD at DHS. AND those lines are only prevalent in the first hour or so of park operation.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:25 AM   #147
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
Thanks Will - I lost my internet access yesterday afternoon, so I wasn't able to post the info or add some clarifications to other posts in this thread.

I'll just add a couple of final notes:

1 - Boom isn't saying anything that is restricted or confidential, hence violating any NDAs. She understands that issue as well as anyone, having worked with WDI since before WDW opened.

2 - It also means that she can give us *general* information, but not many details.

3 - The veracity of whatever Boom says is good as gold, as far as many of us are concerned.

4 - In response to a post a couple pages back, I can assure you that I'm *not* Boom. If I were, my 2004 marriage proposal would have been quite awkward. (She turned me down, anyway.)

And now back to the office, where I will probably again not have access to read or reply for a while. (Is our network being outsourced to WDW IT or something?)
Thanks! I just passed it on because it's interesting and sounds like very good information.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:27 AM   #148
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtowntoflorida View Post
It didn't say four per park, it said four per "guest area" and used a "land" at MK for example. So presumably there would be 4 per land, and depending how land is defined (is Fantasyland separate from New Fantasyland and Storybook Circus for these purposes?) you'd have at least 20 in the Magic Kingdom alone. Along with roving CMs with iPads and guest devices, 4 stationary kiosks per land should be enough.
Excellent correction. I appreciate it.
And that won't be enough either.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #149
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post

When Fantasyland is wall to wall people, I'd expect enormous lines at 'only' 4 kiosks.
It might not be that bad if as large a percentage of guests as they seem to anticipate do come the the parks with [at least] one smartphone between them. I think perhaps they are expecting that with the prebooking system in place and with a fairly healthy percentage of guests having a smart phone, that the demand for these kiosks will not have to handle anywhere near the same volume of traffic as the current FP machines. Well in theory anyway. However this poses another problem as quoted below, by patrickpiteo

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickpiteo View Post
And watch your phone battery die.. LOL

[Engaged to the man of my dreams at WDW, Summer 2014
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #150
PrincessArlena'sDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tiggies View Post
I think perhaps they are expecting that with the prebooking system in place and with a fairly healthy percentage of guests having a smart phone, that the demand for these kiosks will not have to handle anywhere near the same volume of traffic as the current FP machines.
But, if those who pre-book are also getting same day FP, then the only thing that will cut demand for kiosks will be guest smart phones.

I guess kiosk lines will be shorter in the morning when everyone has fresh batteries. But, in the evenings, when batteries start to go dead...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: