Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
laughinplace199
AKA Shrimpo or Flamingo Legs

I don't think I could pull off a big surprise trip...

...but I'm hoping to pull off a little surprise weekend!

Next month, we are taking a family trip to Vero Beach, staying 3 nights there. The kids know this and they know we are flying in and out of the Orlando airport.

What they don't know is that on the day that they think we are driving to the Orlando airport to go home, we're really going to WDW for 2 nights! I'm thinking that as we're driving from Vero to Orlando, I'll pretend to get an email stating that our flight has been delayed a few hours. Since we'll be too far from Vero to go back, I'll suggest that we drive to WDW property to kill time, maybe try to get a look at the castle or stop at a resort for a bite to eat. Then we'll arrive at our resort, tell the guard that we're checking in, and see how the kids react!

I've almost messed up so many times already. As much as I don't want to rush the summer along, I can't wait for this trip to get here so I don't have to worry about accidentally spilling the beans!

I'd love to hear about your surprise trips!

laughinplace199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
BooCar3126
Dreams Really Do Come True

We will be going in October. It will be my kiddos and their fathers first time going. The kids know that we are going but they just do know know exactly when. We have everything they think we will need, autograph books, lanyards and pins that they have earned. And the mouse himself has written them a letter about how excited he is that they are coming. I will do one letter each month until the day we leave. When we pick them up from school we will tell them that we are going to a doctors appointment and i will give them the last letter letting them know that we are in fact on our way to the airport.
I have also started making some hidden mickeys that i have been hiding aroudn the house. I did not tell them i did it or will i point it out to them. When they come home they will just randomly notice different mouse heads all over the place. I know that they are excited and the anticipation is just killing them. They are ready to go and ready to go NOW!

]~1989 Disney World ~1993 Disney World ~
~1999 Disney Cruise Line ~2010 Disney World ~
and soon to come 2013 Disney World!
BooCar3126 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
disneymom443
Mouseketeer

When we go we go in October, this time we are going in May. My son thinks we are going in Oct of 2014.(normal time) but we wanted to surprise him and take him to Star Wars weekends, and hopefully get the very end of Flower and Garden. The great thing is that he loves to plan as much as I do. So we are making all the plans and figuring where we will want to eat, its just 5 months sooner. My oldest DD graduates from nursing school(gets pined) on May 16 2014, we are going to drive right after. He will be in school that day so we will have the car all packed and ready to go. My DH wants to give him puzzles to figure out where we are going. Like have a knee and something this dizzy. so it would read diz knee. say it fast Disney...... then the earth with planets around the earth with a big circle around the earth. Hopefully he'll figure World.

At the end it'll say Disney World. I don't know maybe I'll have stickers of luggage and a car to make it look like a vacation.

I'm also losing weight I keep telling my DS that it is so I look good for his sisters graduation. True but it's also for WDW!!!!
disneymom443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
laughinplace199

It's great to hear other people's surprise stories!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
GadgetTheInventor
Mouseketeer

Just make sure that your kids actually handle your lying and surprises well. There are some really sad videos on YouTube of kids who weren't as excited as their parents about the surprise-to-them trip to WDW. Seeing kids confront their parents about lying while in tears is just painful to watch.

Also, don't forget that your kids will remember your little white lie when they grow up and might turn the tables on you when it comes to school grades, parties, and other teenage rebellion activities.

I don't want to put a damper on your magic planning, but there are so many ways to get kids excited without flat-out lying to them.
GadgetTheInventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

Have your kids been to Disney World before? When we surprised our kids with a quick weekend trip last Fall, we told them (that morning) that we were going out to dinner to celebrate a successful start to the school year, and asked where they wanted to go. After they each made a couple of suggestions, I said "well, we were thinking about maybe Cosmic Ray's or Pecos Bill's!" And they immediately knew we were going to be eating dinner in the Magic Kingdom!

If they have never been before, you and your husband could do a little rehearsed conversation as you near Orlando. Something like, "I am not ready for vacation to be over! I don't want to go home yet!" and the other one says, "me either! I don'twant to go back to work yet." "OK, then what should we do?" "Let's go to Disney World!"

We surprised our kids with Disney trips twice and it was great fun. Would love to do it again. They know about our next trip for my birthday and already think it can't get here fast enough!

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
laughinplace199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire&TheBoys View Post
Have your kids been to Disney World before? When we surprised our kids with a quick weekend trip last Fall, we told them (that morning) that we were going out to dinner to celebrate a successful start to the school year, and asked where they wanted to go. After they each made a couple of suggestions, I said "well, we were thinking about maybe Cosmic Ray's or Pecos Bill's!" And they immediately knew we were going to be eating dinner in the Magic Kingdom!

If they have never been before, you and your husband could do a little rehearsed conversation as you near Orlando. Something like, "I am not ready for vacation to be over! I don't want to go home yet!" and the other one says, "me either! I don'twant to go back to work yet." "OK, then what should we do?" "Let's go to Disney World!"

We surprised our kids with Disney trips twice and it was great fun. Would love to do it again. They know about our next trip for my birthday and already think it can't get here fast enough!
I love this idea! Our kids have been many times (I've lost count, but our littlest is 6 and he's been 7 times already), but I still think your suggestion would work. I'll run it by DH & see what he thinks. Sometimes, he likes the last minute surprise, so the kids think we're going to a resort to get something to eat and then they hear him say we're checking in. But, I like your idea, especially since my kids know WDW so well and they wouldn't have had their usual time to plan and get excited. I love having "problems" like this.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
SEA333
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetTheInventor View Post
Just make sure that your kids actually handle your lying and surprises well. There are some really sad videos on YouTube of kids who weren't as excited as their parents about the surprise-to-them trip to WDW. Seeing kids confront their parents about lying while in tears is just painful to watch.

Also, don't forget that your kids will remember your little white lie when they grow up and might turn the tables on you when it comes to school grades, parties, and other teenage rebellion activities.

I don't want to put a damper on your magic planning, but there are so many ways to get kids excited without flat-out lying to them.
LOL - we are surprising our kids in November, and I think I would cancel the trip if they acted the way I see some of the kids acting in these videos! Of course, we are not lying about anything to them...we are just not saying *anything* until the morning we wake them up. One teen, one tween, and one 7 1/2 year old who checks his siblings reactions before deciding how to react?!?! It's a pretty sure bet in our case that they will be thrilled that they will be heading to WDW instead of....well, instead of pretty much ANYTHING that *was* planned for that day!

I *do* know what you mean, though! I've seen the videos, too!
SEA333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #9
SEA333
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughinplace199 View Post
...but I'm hoping to pull off a little surprise weekend!

Next month, we are taking a family trip to Vero Beach, staying 3 nights there. The kids know this and they know we are flying in and out of the Orlando airport.

What they don't know is that on the day that they think we are driving to the Orlando airport to go home, we're really going to WDW for 2 nights! I'm thinking that as we're driving from Vero to Orlando, I'll pretend to get an email stating that our flight has been delayed a few hours. Since we'll be too far from Vero to go back, I'll suggest that we drive to WDW property to kill time, maybe try to get a look at the castle or stop at a resort for a bite to eat. Then we'll arrive at our resort, tell the guard that we're checking in, and see how the kids react!

I've almost messed up so many times already. As much as I don't want to rush the summer along, I can't wait for this trip to get here so I don't have to worry about accidentally spilling the beans!

I'd love to hear about your surprise trips!
In November, my three kids (13, 9 1/2, and 7 1/2) will wake up at their normal school time to find that *Santa* has come early with their Christmas stocking, which will contain their plane tickets, their park tickets, a pair of sandals/flip-flops, a bottle of sunscreen, sunglasses, and a $50 giftcard each, along with note in each stocking that will have a message (that will be broken into three parts - one part in each kids' stocking to be read out loud by them) that will say something to the effect that because they are such good kids and have worked hard all year to deserve something special, to get ready as fast as they can because we are leaving for Disney World as soon as we are ready to leave the house!

Everything will be prepacked and ready to go. They have been to Magic Kingdom once, for a day last year, and since then have seen the Travel Channel specials, and have seen video/pictures online about the "rest" of Disney World, and all three have said they want to go back. I talk about it every so often, and they know that DH really doesn't care to go back (although he is totally on board for this trip, especially because of the awesome deal we got!), so I say that we can go if we can convince Dad

No lying on our part, and I made sure to plan it so that it doesn't interfere with Football/Cheer season (all three kids play for the same league and DH coaches DS13's team). We are going the week after the season ends, so winter sports won't have started yet. i can't imagine that my kids will be anything less than super-excited just to be doing *anything* that is out of their normal routine, so we won't have to worry about them not taking the surprise well!

Good luck!!!!!
SEA333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
Autumnslight
DIS Veteran

We're surprising our 6 (turning 7 while we're there) and 3 year old with a trip at the end of September. They've never been to Disney either. I'm going to pick them up early from school the day that we leave, for a "dentist appointment". When we get back to the car, we'll tell them that we're going to Disney, and then head straight to the airport. I don't think they'll be too upset about missing a dentist appointment.

I've definitely been having a hard time keeping the secret! I'm really excited myself, so I can't wait until our trip!
Autumnslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:24 AM   #11
laughinplace199

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone!

We have 3 weeks to go for our surprise. I can't wait!

Good luck to you all on pulling off your surprises!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #12
ammag
DIS Veteran

I have almost slipped about 5 times already, it is so hard! We went on a big trip last fall that Dd knew about, this time we are tacking 4 days onto another trip. We are saying we are going to Orlando to visit their great grandma, but when we leave her nursing home I will have their old Mickey and Minnie ears on their seats! Then we drive to AoA and they will also find my mom there. Thanks for DIS boarders for the ears surprise idea! .
ammag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Cars2006
Mouseketeer

We are going the second week in September. The kids don’t know yet. They keeping asking where are we going on vacation. They are 6, 7 & 9. I'm having them make a list of place they want to go. Disney was on the top of each of their list second was Disney Hawaii. They also want my sister and their baby cousin to join us. And it’s getting so hard to keep the secret. They keep looking over my shoulder and asking why I am looking at Disney stuff. I'm telling them its for a friend at work which is true. They will going in October 1st timers. I'm going to pack while they sleep. Then tell them we are going to see by grandpa's which he lives 20 min from the airport. We are going to show up at the airport and say surprise! We have been driven the last couple of years. So they are going to be thrilled to fly. Also my sister and her daughter are coming along. They will meet us at the gate to surprise them. Several time we have let things slip. So now we are talking in code. One month to go

2013 Sept 7-14 DH, ME, Gator 9, Moose 7, Buttercup 6, Auntie & baby rosebud 4mths
2012 ASMu DH, ME, Gator 8, Moose 6 & Buttercup 5
2009 ASMu DH, ME, Gator 5, Moose 3 & Buttercup 22mths
2007 ASMo DH, ME, Gator 3, Moose 18mths & Buttercup 2mths
2005 ASMo DH, ME, Gator 18ths & Moose was still cooking!
2002 CSR DH, ME our 6mth Wedding Anniversary!

Last edited by Cars2006; 08-08-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Cars2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #14
corneredbycorn
Mouseketeer

I know I won't be able to pull off a surprise trip in the future. I can't even make it a day without asking my 16 month old DD, "Are you going to see Mickey?!":P

corneredbycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #15
marybrat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredbycorn View Post
I know I won't be able to pull off a surprise trip in the future. I can't even make it a day without asking my 16 month old DD, "Are you going to see Mickey?!":P
Me too! A surprise trip to WDW is never going to happen!
1990 off-site, 1996 All Star Music, 1998 All Star Music, 2001 Contemporary, 2004 Pop Century, 2007 Fort Wilderness, 2009 off-site, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2012 Disneyland, 2014 Fort Wilderness
marybrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: