DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
DJJimmy9
Earning My Ears

How does combining cash and points work?

So if I do not want to exhaust all of my points but want to stay a few extra days on 1 trip, can I combine cash and points into 1 rez at the 11-month mark? How does it work?
DJJimmy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJJimmy9 View Post
So if I do not want to exhaust all of my points but want to stay a few extra days on 1 trip, can I combine cash and points into 1 rez at the 11-month mark? How does it work?
No. Your points reservation would be one reservation. Cash reservation, either through MS for a DVC resort or Disney Reservation Center for any resort, would be separate. You could link a DVC points with a DVC cash reservation.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2013, 11:55 PM   #3
dmunsil
Disney Uber-Nerd

Quote:
It will be two reservations in the computer system, but you can ask them to cross-link the two reservations. This will inform the person doing room allocations that they should keep you in the same room for both reservations. Usually that works, but it's a good idea to call the resort front desk about 10 days before you arrive and check that the notes are there in the reservation, and then check again when you check in at arrival.

You will have to go down to the front desk to get new room keys on the changeover day, and every once in a while there's some confusion with housekeeping because they have you listed on their checkout list. But for the most part it works OK.

To make this work, you have to make both reservations for the same room type (including view and any other booking category). It's best if you have DVC Member Services do the cash reservation, because then one CM is setting up both reservations and can ensure they're compatible and have the right notes and cross-references. However, you can do this with reservations booked through Disney Reservation Center (DRC); you just end up having to talk to two different people to get the reservations marked properly, because DVC MS can't see or edit reservations made through DRC, and vice-versa.
dmunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #4
DJJimmy9
Earning My Ears

Thanks. We have a big family event and I want a grand villa at BLT. I will use points for the first 5 nights and cash for 2 or 3 more nights.

Yes. I know how much the cash rate will be. LoL.

I just want to confirm that as long as a GV is available at my 11-month mark that mixing cash and points won't be a problem. 1) that they will let me use cash and pts at 11-months. 2.) that they will let me use cash when I still have points available (saving some for a 2nd smaller trip).
Old 07-26-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. We have a big family event and I want a grand villa at BLT. I will use points for the first 5 nights and cash for 2 or 3 more nights.

I just want to confirm that as long as a GV is available at my 11-month mark that mixing cash and points won't be a problem. 1) that they will let me use cash and pts at 11-months. 2.) that they will let me use cash when I still have points available (saving some for a 2nd smaller trip).
I'm not sure they do the GV for cash, I think you may have issues there. Also, if you are successful getting cash through MS and you want the DDP, I think you'll have to get it all days including the cash (essentially a points reservation)
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:

1) They may not have a cash grand villa available at 11 months, they tend to release those later.

2) That's not an issue, they don't force you to use points first.

I would look into renting BLT points, have them transferred into your account.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #7
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

I sorta did this at hhi had part of points and was going to do one time point purchase to finish out ressie for 2 nights. Only one night was avail on points so I used the points I had and one time purchase to finish that night out and did a cash ressie for 2nd time thru ms. Both ressies show on Dvc website.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
DJJimmy9
Earning My Ears

Thanks Debbie & atomized.

As for renting BLT pts...I thought you could only rent via another owner making a rez for you. Where would I find an outlet to transfer me 200 BLT pts?
Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #9
circhead
Mouseketeer

You can try advertising on the rent trade board here. Just make sure that you make it clear that you are looking for a point transfer. They are limited to 1 transaction per year per membership contract.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by circhead View Post
You can try advertising on the rent trade board here. Just make sure that you make it clear that you are looking for a point transfer. They are limited to 1 transaction per year per membership contract.
This is no longer allowed. If you are looking for a points transfer, you can respond to someone offering to transfer points.

All the rules are posted in the Rent/Trade thread. To OP, just remember, you will be limited to one transfer in/out of your membership per UY so consider that as part of your planning.

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
circhead
Mouseketeer

Sorry for the misinformation - I should have reread the rules and understood them before replying.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #12
wdwfan1
DIS Veteran

One of the sponsers here on the boards provides a service for obtaining DVC reservations. (I dont know if it is okay to use the name). You can book through that site. That gives you another option.

wdwfan1

I have been boo'd by wisbucky!
wdwfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: