Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #1
beverlywright817
Earning My Ears

Mob picked out a dress very similar to mine

My mom and I have been shopping for her dress for my wedding. She found one that looks stunning on her but it is almost exactly the same cut as my dress and has a sparkly belt - just like my dress.
Hers would be navy blue and in satin and mine is lace but all in all, it is the same dress and because mine is lace and hers is satin, hers almost looks dressier than mine.
Plus one of the things I loved about my dress was the belt - but now her dress will have one too.
Am I being crazy?
I don't want to be a bridezilla and demand that she keep looking or not get the dress she loves, but I also don't want her to upstage me - especially when she walks down the aisle before me.
Any advice? She has not purchased it yet and is looking for my approval.
beverlywright817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:54 AM   #2
ChickyRootie
Mouseketeer

Wow, what a tough situation. That dress looks almost exactly like yours and your points are right on spot. I don't know your family situation so it's tough to say. Are you very close with your mom? Do you think she is 'trying' to upstage you? These are things you need to think about. I will tell you this, when I got married, my mother bought herself TWO gowns and did a wardrobe change. I didn't say a word to her, but when it came time for her to make her grand entrance in her second ballgown of the evening it really stole my thunder and I was hurt. I still to this day never said anything...and I wish I did. Hope that helps?
ChickyRootie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
jac1976
Mouseketeer

I would say something. Those dresses are very similar, and since she asked for your opinion/approval, I would be honest and tell her how you feel.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
JandJ
If I close my mind in fear . . . Please pry it open
I had a very productive day ... yesterday

Since she asked for your opinion/approval, I'd be honest with her and tell her you don't think it will look good with your wedding gown. The silhouettes are entirely too similar on those two dresses. Is it a black tie wedding? If not, she doesn't even need a floor length gown. She can go with something less formal.

All that I am or ever hope to be I owe to my angel Mother (1940 - 2005) Daddy's little girl (1933 - 2008)

Egypt, Mexico, Belize, Honduras, 7 Caribbean islands, England, France, Italy, Holland, Belgium, 12 states, DC - check! Where to next??
JandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #5
andeesings
DIS Veteran

:-(

That exact same thing happened on an episode of Say Yes to the Dress--- except both dresses were ruched satin. I remember saying at the time that it was heinous.

If you're posting about it it obviously bothers you. I'm sure you mom loves you and won't want to upstage you. I'm sure if you keep looking you'll be able to find something that makes her feel just as beautiful, but if it's really bothering you that much you have to say something.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
sambycat
DIS Veteran

The mob dress strikes me as not right for that anyway, too "young"? I would give my honest gentle opinion. It strikes me as a very odd choice

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Lorelei528
DIS Veteran

Holy moly...yeah, you have to say something....those dresses are WAY too similar!
And the MOB dress doesn't really look like a MOB dress....even if the MOB was in her 30's....she can still look fantastic while looking like your mom, if you know what I mean...
Lorelei528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
andeesings
DIS Veteran

I don't think a MOB dress needs to look dowdy, matronly, or "mom" like-- but your mom can still look absolutely fantastic while not looking exactly like you! It's not that the dress is too young, it's that the shape and belt are basically exactly the same as yours. Eek!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: