Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #1081
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Will my DD13 need ID to go through security? Is she subject to the scanner, etc? She asks a LOT of questions so i want to inform her as best as i can. I paid for EB so we can sit together. Anything other advice?

Sorry for my ignorance, this is her 1st flight.

thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #1082
MAYNARDS99
DIS Veteran

PolyA - a 13 year old does not need an ID for travel within the US. She is subject to the scanner. However, if she does not want to be scanned she can choose to be patted down. The pat down can be done in private if requested.

Have her go online to Southwest and review the "Boarding School", also have her review the TSA website. These sites will answer any questions she has.

Yacht Club DEC13
Beach Club concierge (suite upgrade) JAN13
Coronado Springs OCT11 & SEP12
Hilton Bonnet Creek, Royal Pacific (suite upgrade) AsMU SEP10
SSR 1 Bedroom SEP09 (free dining and upgrade)
Wilderness Lodge/Royal Pacific (concierge upgrade) SEP08
Grand Californian DEC07 (theme park view upgrade)
Port Orleans Riverside Alligator Bayou SEP05
Contemporary (MK view Tower Club upgrade) NOV03
Ritz-Carlton NOV03
Portofino Bay Hotel Deluxe NOV01
Polynesian (concierge upgrade) NOV99
Wilderness Lodge Deluxe OCT98
Off Site - Disneyland Paris JUL93
Off Site - WDW JAN88
Contemporary MK view Tower JUL74
MAYNARDS99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #1083
Lynne G
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyAddict View Post
Will my DD13 need ID to go through security? Is she subject to the scanner, etc? She asks a LOT of questions so i want to inform her as best as i can. I paid for EB so we can sit together. Anything other advice?

Sorry for my ignorance, this is her 1st flight.

thanks
no, children under 18 do not need ID. The security cannot ask for it either. What security may do is ask questions as to name, how old, etc. I travel with my kids since they were little. Our last flight was a few months ago, and they are 11 and 15. Neither had ID, and I think the security guy asked where they were going and that was it.

Yes, your DD has to go through the scanner by herself. I let my kids go through first, then I go through. Tell her it is simply just walking through 2 panels. No metal jewelry (like a watch) or coins should be on her person.

Sometimes your airport will have a security line for families. That may help you see what others are doing.

Have a great trip!
Lynne G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #1084
PolyAddict
Our City Our Home...Finish Strong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYNARDS99 View Post
PolyA - a 13 year old does not need an ID for travel within the US. She is subject to the scanner. However, if she does not want to be scanned she can choose to be patted down. The pat down can be done in private if requested.

Have her go online to Southwest and review the "Boarding School", also have her review the TSA website. These sites will answer any questions she has.
Didn't know about either of these. I will tell her she can read all about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne G View Post
no, children under 18 do not need ID. The security cannot ask for it either. What security may do is ask questions as to name, how old, etc. I travel with my kids since they were little. Our last flight was a few months ago, and they are 11 and 15. Neither had ID, and I think the security guy asked where they were going and that was it.

Yes, your DD has to go through the scanner by herself. I let my kids go through first, then I go through. Tell her it is simply just walking through 2 panels. No metal jewelry (like a watch) or coins should be on her person.

Sometimes your airport will have a security line for families. That may help you see what others are doing.

Have a great trip!
I'm glad you mentioned they may ask her questions. She is very introverted, so i will be sure to tell her this!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #1085
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy144622

I'm not finding this deal on the coke rewards site. Am I missing something?
It's not always there...
They offer it periodically.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #1086
mejones1115
Earning My Ears

SWA February 2014

Hi everyone. This is our first time heading to Disney for Princess Half Marathon Weekend and are looking for help on when the best time to book our flights would be. We are traveling from Albany, NY (but are willing to travel to Hartford, CT if it's significantly cheaper) at the tail end of kids winter break in NY (Feb 21) and would be returning Sunday March 2. Right now the flight down is at $211/$222 (the only morning/afternoon non-stop is already sold out and they just released the fares this past Monday), which is much higher than we've ever paid out of Albany. And the return trip the wanna get away fares are be recalibrated so therefore are completely unavailable out of Orlando to anywhere in the states (supposedly by Tuesday they should be back up). I am hesitant to spend so much on the airfare now as it's so high (would love to wait for a sale), but am afraid if we wait too long that they'll sell out. If anyone can shed some light on whether it's best to hold off or just book now. (I know we can rebook and get credit...but we won't be able to go back down before August of 2014...as I do believe the credits must be used within 1 year of original booking)
mejones1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:50 PM   #1087
1rockinmama
Mouseketeer

My husband has 21,000 points. I want to take DD6 and I to a quick before school starts trip from Austin to MCO. It's 12,120 per person so I figured I'd pay for one, do points for the other. My question is this...can I log into my husband RRP account and pay for the flight using his points but booking it under MY name? Like 'paying' for someone else's flight? Or is the only way to transfer some of his to mine (8,000 pts = $80 to have enough to use to pay with points)? Thanks in advance!
'03 California Grand--'04 Disneyland Hotel--'05 Disneyland off-site--'08 Pop Century--'08 AS Movies--'09 AS Music--'10 AS Movies *Mommy/Daughter Trip*--'10 AS Music--'11 AS Sports--'12 AS Movies--'13 AofA-LM '14 CBR
1rockinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #1088
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rockinmama View Post
My husband has 21,000 points. I want to take DD6 and I to a quick before school starts trip from Austin to MCO. It's 12,120 per person so I figured I'd pay for one, do points for the other. My question is this...can I log into my husband RRP account and pay for the flight using his points but booking it under MY name? Like 'paying' for someone else's flight? Or is the only way to transfer some of his to mine (8,000 pts = $80 to have enough to use to pay with points)? Thanks in advance!
You can log in to his acct and buy a ticket for you...no transfer needed.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
disneymagicgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #1089
VLee
DIS Veteran

Yes, I do this all the time with my mom's RR account. And if you have to cancel for any reason, the points will go back into her account.
BWV - Boardwalk View - 10/2007 - Family Reunion!
OKW - Labor Day 2007 - Pirate & Princess Party
BWV/Beach Club -- 05/2007 -- The kids and Me!
VWL -- Christmas 2006 -Mom and Me!
AS Movies 09/2006 - Jen & Kids - Brant's 4th BD!
Beach Club Villa 05/2006 - Brant and Me
Wilderness Cabins/Old Key West 01/2006-Hollye's 6th!
Polynesian Resort / Beach Club Villa 9/2005-Jen & Kids
Pop Century/ Old Key West 05/2005 - The kids & Me
AS Movies/WL Villa/ PO French Qtr 10/2004-Halloween
Pop Century/Port Orleans FQ 05/2004 - Hollye and Me
BoardWalk Villa/WL Villa 12/2003 - First Christmas!
Polynesian Resort 05/2003 -- First Trip!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
VLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #1090
babydoll65
please stand clear of the doors, por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasamong View Post
random pop by to thank babydoll65 for this tip about buying one way ticket first and then do the credit thing!!!

I'm from Vancouver, Canada so the plan is to drive down to Seattle to catch a flight. I've been glued to southwest's site and found info here on DIS that if the price drops after i've purchased the ticket that i can get a credit. I was like great but i might not use the credit before it expires.. you just SAVED me!!! so another thanks thanks!

here's my question. The flight down to orlando has been stagnant at $171 for quite some time (lowest i've seen is $150). The flight back to seattle has dropped from $223 to $171. Would you recommend buying the return ticket first or the going ticket first?

Sorry I haven't got back but iv been glued to the free dining promo that's coming out tomorrow. Iv noticed where I live the prices haven't dropped all that much so I'm going to hold on a little longer. When my sister and I booked in 2011 we booked the flight going down first and thought we got a pretty good deal 140.00 . When we waited to get our flight back it was even lower than the one going down so we ended up with a credit of about 40$ each. Since we were not going to be able to use the credit within a year we insted booked a flight earlier in the day that was more expensive and used our credit to get to disney earlier. When we booked our flight down it wasn't leaving till 4:30pm but it was at a better price so when this credit came about we were able to go at 8:00am.

77,79,88 OS89,92 FW96 ASM05 OS07,09,11 POP13 POFQ/POR2015 POP
DAD(50), MOM(49) ,SON(17)
babydoll65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #1091
kelleyrn2000
Mouseketeer

I've never flown SW before but we now have points to use for our March 2014 vacation. My dh has enough points for 5 one way tickets, and I also have enough points for 5 one way tickets. Since we are a family of 5, this is great. But I'm not sure how to book...do I do all 5 one way under dh RR and then do all 5 return under my RR? I want to do Early Bird Check in so we can try to sit together. Is there any disadvantage to doing one way tickets this way? It seems like the best way to split up the points...

kelleyrn2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #1092
zy144622
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleyrn2000 View Post
I've never flown SW before but we now have points to use for our March 2014 vacation. My dh has enough points for 5 one way tickets, and I also have enough points for 5 one way tickets. Since we are a family of 5, this is great. But I'm not sure how to book...do I do all 5 one way under dh RR and then do all 5 return under my RR? I want to do Early Bird Check in so we can try to sit together. Is there any disadvantage to doing one way tickets this way? It seems like the best way to split up the points...
Yep sounds perfect. You may be able to check out in 1 transaction. Not for sure though. I just bought through SW today and it requested rewards number for everyone if they had them.
zy144622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #1093
tripplanner2
DIS Veteran

I always book separate and not round trip because if flights drop in price, I can make the change easily. If I book a round trip and only the to goes on sale, I will be forced to cancel the entire flight. Just works better to book one way at a time.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #1094
brettb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripplanner2 View Post
I always book separate and not round trip because if flights drop in price, I can make the change easily. If I book a round trip and only the to goes on sale, I will be forced to cancel the entire flight. Just works better to book one way at a time.
I know that used to be the case but I don't think this is true any more.

AFAIK, now, when you change a flight, you can pick either or both directions to edit. The direction you don't choose to edit is left alone. (My reservation is booked with points and that's how it worked when I changed my outbound flight a couple of months ago.)
8-9/'11 AKL (Free dining!)
8/10 Polynesian (40% PIN)
7/09 AKL (7-for-4 + AP discount)
8/08 AKL (Free dining!) & 5/08 Coronado Springs Resort
12/07 Animal Kingdom Lodge
9-10/06 Pop Century (Free dining!)
10/05 Wilderness Lodge (Free dining!)
12/04 Grand Floridian & 6/04 Polynesian
8/03 Contemporary for 15 minutes, Grand Floridian for the rest of the trip
10/02 Polynesian
1976-96 Contemporary, Village Resort, All-Star Sports, Grand Floridian, Beach Club, Off-property
brettb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #1095
zilp
Mouseketeer

For those who are saving up Coke Rewards points....

Not sure if this has been posted, but for those who are saving up Coke rewards points to use on SW- you can get points from McDonald's Monopoly game pieces. DH found that those little game pieces have codes and when you input them online, some codes are good for 40 Coke reward points. We were able to get 80 points from our two value meals. McDonald's Monopoly game lasts until 8/12/13. hths!

Also, I was wondering how long those Coke rewards points last. DH said something about 90 days but wasn't sure.

zilp is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: