Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
RSM
Mouseketeer

Suggestions for Restaurants in London

Hi All,

I realize this is a little bit tangential to ABD, but we are going to London for a week in August, and are looking for suggestions on some restaurants. I was hoping that some people who have been on the London/Paris ABD or are familiar with London would have some recommendations. Our DS is a big Gordon Ramsay fan so we have already got a reservation at Restaurant Gordon Ramsay (although I'm not sure what he is going to eat as I didn't see chicken fingers or pizza on the menu ). Thanks for any help you can provide.
RSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Well, the best recommendation I have for London is also Gordon Ramsey! We went to his more casual restaurant, Foxtrot Oscar. We had a FABULOUS take on an old-fashioned Traditional Sunday Roast. Roast beef and yorkshire pudding, potatoes (in duck fat!) and cheesy cauliflower. It was all totally delicious! The big hit was the cheesy cauliflower, and they brought us a ton extra because we all loved it so much. The decor is pretty blah (it is *very* casual), but everyone really seemed to enjoy the meal. We pre-ordered our meals to be sure & get what we wanted (the Sunday Roast is pretty popular) but there was some mixup in the kitchen about it, and about the price quoted for the group. I think the folks taking the reservations didn't communicate very well with the kitchen. It was wonderful once we got there & the wait staff took over.

Also, for something totally different, the buffet at the Georgian Room Restaurant at Harrod's is one of the largest, most extensive buffets I have ever seen. The food was all excellent, and there were like 6 or 7 different meats being carved (they had *lamb*, which I've never seen at a buffet!) and giant prawns, and an array of cheeses and veggies and salads and desserts. Definitely an experience. But go hungry! (As is true for everything at Harrod's, it's not cheap!)

Unfortunately, the food was not an outstanding feature of this particular ABD...

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

Last edited by sayhello; 07-25-2013 at 10:50 AM.
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
AinsleyLM
Earning My Ears

My mom and I went to London last month. We didn't have the best luck with food. The British taste didn't bode well with our Southern taste. One place we really enjoyed though was Borough Market. It is a food market opened on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. There are vendors that sell sandwiches, pastries, soup, and different ethnic foods. We split a panini and a couple of pastries for a light lunch. It was one of the highlights of the trip!
2008: Universal Studios/Magic Kingdom, Hard Rock Hotel
2009: CBR
2011: CBR
2014: CBR
AinsleyLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

I second what Tobi said about Foxtrot Oscar and Harrod's! Wonderful! Also, on our arrival day in London, Brian and I ate at an Italian restaurant on the recommendation of the concierge - Bacco ( just off High Holborn). It was absolutely delicious!!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Kez250
Mouseketeer

Am originally from London and go back on a semi regular basis - we tend to stay in Mayfair so most of the places we go are around there.

La Genova 32 N Audley Street W1 for awesome Italian
Royal China various branches throughout London for Dim Sum lunch
Benares Berkeley Square W1 - Contemporary Indian food
The Wolseley 160 Piccadilly, W1 - breakfast and lunch
The Guinea Grill 30 Bruton Place W1 - lunch, dinner - traditional english

Most of these places have websites so you can take a look at their sample menu's

One more that I ate at in Paris that has 3 outposts in London is Le Relais de l'Entrecote - salad followed by steak (with their famous sauce) and frites - the only menu is for drinks and desserts

If you need any more or have further questions let me know

Have fun

Kerry
Kez250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #6
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kez250 View Post
Am originally from London and go back on a semi regular basis - we tend to stay in Mayfair so most of the places we go are around there.

La Genova 32 N Audley Street W1 for awesome Italian
Royal China various branches throughout London for Dim Sum lunch
Benares Berkeley Square W1 - Contemporary Indian food
The Wolseley 160 Piccadilly, W1 - breakfast and lunch
The Guinea Grill 30 Bruton Place W1 - lunch, dinner - traditional english

Most of these places have websites so you can take a look at their sample menu's

One more that I ate at in Paris that has 3 outposts in London is Le Relais de l'Entrecote - salad followed by steak (with their famous sauce) and frites - the only menu is for drinks and desserts

If you need any more or have further questions let me know

Have fun

Kerry
Thank you very much I am going to London after my Scotland ABD and have been trying to find restaurant recomendtions. All that you listed are close to my hotel and the menus look good. Thanks Again
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
RSM
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the suggestions. Very much appreciated.
RSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #8
jjharts
Mouseketeer

We went here for dinner. It's a cute pub with restaurant upstairs. The food was pretty good. I don't know where you are staying but this was right near Trafalgar's Square on Northumberland. My husband loved his "Toad in the Hole" and I had a very tasty Ale Pie. The have a room blocked off with Sherlock Holmes memorabilia.
10/2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort, 6/2014- Fantasy eastern Caribbean/Bay Lake Towers, 6/2013 - abd Scotland, 12/2012 - Grand Californian, 6/2012 - Magic (Canada), 9/2011 - Bay Lake Towers, 6/2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge/Vero Beach, 4/2010 - Grand Californian/Paradise Pier/Disneyland Hotel, 12/2009 - Poly/AKL/Wonder, 6/2008 - Wilderness Lodge/Animal Kingdom/Boardwalk, 2005 - Wilderness Lodge/Polynesian/Wonder, 2003 - Polynesian/Animal Kingdom Lodge, 1994 & 1976 - offsite
jjharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
Tozzie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjharts View Post

We went here for dinner. It's a cute pub with restaurant upstairs. The food was pretty good. I don't know where you are staying but this was right near Trafalgar's Square on Northumberland. My husband loved his "Toad in the Hole" and I had a very tasty Ale Pie. The have a room blocked off with Sherlock Holmes memorabilia.
Thank you as well it is not that far away from my hotel and the menu looks very good. I love google maps it lets me plot the hotel and any thing else I want and I can see the distance . Thanks Again
Tozzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: