Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

My children, my choice.

My children attend school regularly they are never late, unless it is a hospital appointment I can't change they never miss unless they are sick and they aren't sick very often.

They are 7 and 5 and they are doing well at school meeting targets and exceeding them.

I try to ensure that we go on holiday on either side of a half term so that we don't miss too many but haven't ruled out taking them out for 2 weeks if it was required.

My youngest has a chromosomal abnormality which means she is developmentally delayed and since we have found this information out I think it is even more important to spend time as a family. The boys love her and love showing her stuff and she gets so excited and is learning more and more things every day.

Yes I could take a holiday in school holiday time but even doing stuff in the UK is expensive, why should we have to compromise our choice of holiday.

I will continue to monitor how the kids are doing in school and if they suffer then I will reconsider but until then, once again my kids my choice.

Kirsten
Old 07-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #17
chmurf
DIS Veteran

we take DS out of school (that will be the third time)

we do this during the holidays (october or february), and take him out a few days before the holidays, and sending him back to school a few days after school resumed.

This way we have the "off peak" prices even if we still go during the holidays.

we don't have any problem with that*but we don't have fines here if we don't send the kid to school, and we have a perfectly good excuse as we're french, and visiting a foreign country and being immersed in a foreign language is part of the education (of course, we do not tell that we're spending our holidays in theme parks )

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Zeebs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampat View Post
When I was between 11 and 14 my parents took me out of school for the first week of the September term and I HATED it! I had to go back into secondary classes a week after all my school mates had chummed up, got to know the teachers, settled in to a new routine and had seating arrangements sorted. I was such a shy individual that it left me traumatised.

However, we did used to take my daughter out of school for the last 2 or 3 days of term in July which was no problem either for her or the school!

Pam
This is something I wouldn't do, joining a new class and teacher is quite stressful on the kids and I know mine wouldn't want to miss coming back to school at the same time as everyone else. It would certainly stress me out so I wouldn't do that to the kids, but other times during the year yes.

Kirsten
Old 07-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #19
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampat View Post
When I was between 11 and 14 my parents took me out of school for the first week of the September term and I HATED it! I had to go back into secondary classes a week after all my school mates had chummed up, got to know the teachers, settled in to a new routine and had seating arrangements sorted. I was such a shy individual that it left me traumatised.

However, we did used to take my daughter out of school for the last 2 or 3 days of term in July which was no problem either for her or the school!

Pam
That's something I have always kept in mind with DD and avoided her missing anything within the first month of a new school year where they are still settling in. But I routinely pick the last week (and sometimes 2 in the past) prior to schools breaking up.
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

I would never and have never taken the children out of school. It's there for a reason and they already get 13 weeks a year off! I made one exception before a Christmas trip because the last day was 'movie' day at both schools. Frankly I don't like that they do that and would not have taken them out if they has normal lessons. It does cost us more money and we have to visit at times I would not choose. It is what it is. They have three years of 100% attendance records they are very proud of and an excellent work ethic. That said I believe it is an issue for individual families to make a choice over and I am of the view that fining parents is ridiculous.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
foxxxy83
DIS Veteran

People are probably goin to hate me for it but am takin my son out of school for two weeks to take him. My son has speech, learning and social difficulties as he's on the autistic register and I have multiple sclerosis (both of which were only diagnosed this year). Every holidays from school is plagued with hospital appointments, speech therapy clinics, social skills lessons. My son doesn't get 6 weeks to just be a child like his classmates so I think he should be able to have some fun. I also don't know how long I can do things like this with him due to the rate my health is deteriorating.
foxxxy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #22
Lucys dad
Mouseketeer

They say that travel broadens the mind. Therefore, I'll be hauling my DD out of school next June to attend a family "travel & leisure education programme " at WDW..................It'll also save me a good few quid.
Lucys dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #23
kristieuk
DIS Veteran

It is great to see this thread has not provoked any of the criticisms and arguments that used to get these threads closed as soon as they were started in previous years

I think it is (as it should be) the personal choice of responsible parents. Many parents have their reasons for taking children out of school for family holidays, others have their reasons for not doing so, and the important thing is that each respects the other.

Personally, DH and I work for the same (small) company and for us both to take off together is very difficult, and usually impossible when other staff are also off during school holidays. We work hard, and family time is very important to us. We are careful to combine Florida trips with half term breaks, and when DD13 starts her GCSE course next year, we won't go. We are fortunate that both our girls are bright and have missed virtually no school at through illness.

For us, a family holiday, the experience of travel and the memories it creates far surpasses two weeks of school, but I do understand that others will feel differently

My ICE Buddy is Nubbedy
kristieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #24
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Nice to see nobody has been stroppy and gone off the handle. Iv taken my daughter out of school since she started and she has just got top in her sats. Hence I have no concerns with her missing school.
Saying that she starts year 7 and a new school in september and due to her settling in we decided to go earlier this year in order for her to not miss the start. However her new headmaster sent a lovely letter saying he had never not granted holidays in school time as he understands the financial strain it can have on some families and feels if it meant not going he would always authorise. Saying that he has put that though he wont be able to authorise it if patents want to pay the £60 fee he has no issues.
I dont intend to take DD out next year but probably will in year 8 but will tag onto a half term .
Old 07-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
scottish mum
We still have 2 posties in shorts
I'm still learning how to work it

When I only had primary school age kids we often took them out for holidays, often for the whole 2 weeks. It never used to do them any harm and our head teacher had no problem with it. Now I have 2 in secondary school and I won't take them out for 2 weeks now but i will still take them out so that we leave 2 or 3 days before the end of term. The difference in price is ridiculous and I am not missing out on it. They are my kids and I decide on their life.

Luckily for us in Scotland we don't seem to have the strictness of the English schools, we don't need to ask permission we just inform them that we are going
Disneyland Paris 1994, 1997, 2004, 2009
fort wilderness cabins september 2008
Beach Club October 2010

scottish mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:19 PM   #26
Bridgey
Earning My Ears

I was always taken out of school during term time due to my mam and dads work. Never did me any harm. Love the fact that nowadays parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school but teachers can go on strike whenever they feel like it.
Bridgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #27
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgey
I was always taken out of school during term time due to my mam and dads work. Never did me any harm. Love the fact that nowadays parents can be fined for taking their kids out of school but teachers can go on strike whenever they feel like it.
I agree although I dont think all teachers want to strike its a case of those above giving the orders.
Iv had 2 inset days dropped on me in the last 8 weeks. One of which I had to take annual leave.
Some schools deny leave yet they have inset days when my child is available to go to school but she cant go because they have a training day. Another totally different debate. My best friends a teacher and she gets as frustrated as I do sometimes. She also gets annoyed that she is tied to school holidays and the ridiculous high prices but knew that when she became a teacher.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #28
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Speaking as a parent and a former teacher (my DW was also a teacher until our car accident) I think the problem with this whole situation is people taking their kids out too often, for too long or at bad times that has led to the "fining parents" mentality.

We have (and will this year) pull our daughter out for a week. We go to WDW for 2 weeks and we make our trips coincide with one of the half term weeks. We didn't have this luxury when we were teaching!

Parents should be allowed to take their children out for up to 10 days without being fined in my opinion, but it should be a once a year thing and should not coincide with important school events, such as exams, exam prep, or in the case of secondary age kids, during their GCSE years. If all parents stuck within these parameters, then I don't think the fining thing would be needed.

I had students who were pulled out for 2 weeks at a time, several times a year and missed vital work. From a teaching perspective, this is a huge problem. However, if parents act responsibly, then should be no reason why head teachers could not approve holidays in my opinion.

Speaking as a parent, paying the £100 fine to save £1000 on your holiday cost, is totally worth it!
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #29
arieliwish
I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty,

When my two were small one of their primary teachers always said she felt they benefited far more from a family holiday than not having one due to the additional costs of school holidays. We did take them out a few times while in primary school but haven't done so for more than 2 or 3 days since our last WDW trip 8 years ago.

DD has just finished her A levels and may well be going off to uni in a couple of months so we took the decision to book the last week of August/first week of September as a final big family holiday (prob not knowing DD!) plus we've been married 20 years in August so it's kind of a celebration for that too!

We have told school for DS and know that it will be recorded as unauthorised absence but so far school hasn't started issuing fines (fingers crossed this continues!).

2000 Nov DLP Newport Bay Club - DH, DD 5, DS 2
2004 Aug 29 -Sep 12 WDW Offsite Clarion Universal - DH, DD 9, DS 6 2005 Sep 13-27 WDW CBR - DH, DD 10, DS 7 2006 Oct 22-26 DLP Newport Bay Club - DH, DD 11, DS 8, + 12 family and friends!! 2013 March 14 - 17 DLP DLH - DD 18th Birthday trip - DH, DD 18, DS 14 2013 Aug 25 -Sep 8 WDW OKW - DH, DD 18, DS 15
arieliwish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #30
2Tiggies
I am subscribing to this thread just so I can see your shirt
I like those water proof containers that hang around my neck on a lanyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristieuk View Post

Personally, DH and I work for the same (small) company and for us both to take off together is very difficult, and usually impossible when other staff are also off during school holidays. We work hard, and family time is very important to us.
I had this problem up until this summer whereby I wasn't able to get 2 consecutive weeks off between June and August. That left Easter which we did twice but I eventually went for October and tagged onto October week or late September tagged onto the September weekend which also had 2 inset days at DD's school making it 5 week days where she wasn't missing.

Each to his own
2Tiggies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: