Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Contacted DCP via email...

...and couldn't get my questions answered! I got a very nice, albeit unhelpful, response to my questions. Perhaps some of you may know the answers?

- If one is exclusively taking online only college courses, is that acceptable?

- What if a student wants to enroll as a 'non-degree seeking' student, taking individual courses from an accredited community college for personal/professional growth...would they be eligible to apply to the Disney College Program?

- And if so, is there a minimum number of courses they need to be enrolled in at the time of applying?

- What about those enrolled in 'Certificate Programs' through an accredited university, (for example, a Hospitality Management Certificate Program)?

The emailed response basically only contained info about program dates, etc. It DID address that online classes were OK, just didn't answer my other questions. My DD is trying to avoid the typical college route (and the debt that comes with it!) and is trying to figure out what steps she needs to take to meet the requirements so she can do the DCP in 2015.

Thank you very much for any help!

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
castlecouture2011
Earning My Ears

Location: Arkansas...until I move back to FL to work for the mouse :)

As far as I know for the CP as long as you are enrolled in at least one college class (degree seeking or not) from an accredited school, you're in the clear. With some PIs I know you must be degree seeking but that's a whole different story.

As far as the certificate program, I'm not sure about that. I would try calling if I were you, they are usually very helpful over the phone.

Off-site March 2004; Poly June 2007; Contemporary June 2008; Off-site March 2009; CP SA 2011 (AS Sports January 2011; Poly Club Level Feb 2011; Grand Flo May 2011; Boardwalk July 2011), Coronado January 2012 (proposal!); ASMovies November 2012
castlecouture2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
beepbeepimajeep
Earning My Ears

- If one is exclusively taking online only college courses, is that acceptable?
As they said in your response, yes online only is fine.

- What if a student wants to enroll as a 'non-degree seeking' student, taking individual courses from an accredited community college for personal/professional growth...would they be eligible to apply to the Disney College Program?

Yes. They don't care what sort of degree program, if any, you're enrolled in. They just need you to be a student somewhere. Community colleges are perfectly acceptable.

- And if so, is there a minimum number of courses they need to be enrolled in at the time of applying?
You could sign up for a yoga class at a community college and be eligible for the program. There's no minimum beyond just one class.

- What about those enrolled in 'Certificate Programs' through an accredited university, (for example, a Hospitality Management Certificate Program)?
Certificate programs work and I know from experience, having completed a CP just after finishing a paramedic cert program.
beepbeepimajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Trish View Post
...and couldn't get my questions answered! I got a very nice, albeit unhelpful, response to my questions. Perhaps some of you may know the answers?
I'm going to guess you didn't contact the best group for education questions, the education team. If you contacted recruiting and they didn't pass it on to the education team, then I'm not surprised that you didn't get the exact answers you were seeking. They are great about recruiting related stuff, not so much on education/housing.

Education can be reached via wdw.disney.education.ops@disney.com
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beepbeepimajeep View Post
Yes. They don't care what sort of degree program, if any, you're enrolled in. They just need you to be a student somewhere. Community colleges are perfectly acceptable.

You could sign up for a yoga class at a community college and be eligible for the program. There's no minimum beyond just one class.

Certificate programs work and I know from experience, having completed a CP just after finishing a paramedic cert program.
Thank you so much BeepBeep! I really appreciate the info and my daughter will be thrilled.

I am a bit surprised though, because I thought on the application and phone interview it asked questions about your major, etc... and I also thought they checked with your school to make sure you were a student. I would think if they called and the school told them you were only enrolled in yoga (LOL!) that they wouldn't consider you...

And thank you KHancock! You are right - I only emailed the main recruiting address. Thanks for posting the correct one!

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Old 07-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
khancock
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Trish View Post
I also thought they checked with your school to make sure you were a student. I would think if they called and the school told them you were only enrolled in yoga (LOL!) that they wouldn't consider you...
They don't call. They have a site set up for their school contacts to use (disneyeducationconnection.com). The person at the school is supposed to log in and verify that everyone on their list meets Disney's requirements and any other requirement the school may have.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khancock View Post
I'm going to guess you didn't contact the best group for education questions, the education team. If you contacted recruiting and they didn't pass it on to the education team, then I'm not surprised that you didn't get the exact answers you were seeking. They are great about recruiting related stuff, not so much on education/housing.

Education can be reached via wdw.disney.education.ops@disney.com
I am sad to report that I got the EXACT same canned response from that email address as I did the recruiting address. *sigh* I would really like to have their actual confirmation before DD goes and gets her hopes up...

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...

Upcoming Trips
Old 07-26-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
khancock
DIS Veteran

Call them. Education number is 407-827-1244

This was listed in the Family Program Guide PDF at the bottom of this page on their site - http://cp.disneycareers.com/en/for-p...mily/overview/

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: