Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
CJ2001
Mouseketeer

Thank you everyone for your helpful tips that has given me heaps of information to think over.

Was trying to figure out whether to go to Orlando first and they make way round to other places, but with this information think we should start out at New York then make our way round.

Thanks heaps for all your help
CJ2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:05 AM   #17
Toy Story
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2001 View Post
Thank you everyone for your helpful tips that has given me heaps of information to think over.

Was trying to figure out whether to go to Orlando first and they make way round to other places, but with this information think we should start out at New York then make our way round.

Thanks heaps for all your help
Definitely - we are normally so exhausted post Disney that we sleep the whole way home. Also museum visiting post Disney may be more difficult for holding the attention of children.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 AM   #18
aussiecookfamily
Earning My Ears

In 2011 we did 3 1/2 weeks on the East Coast. We started at WDW for 14 nights - no way my Disney fanatic daughter would tolerate waiting to go there last! We gamely caught the Amtrak from Orlando to Washington - probably ended up costing more than flying by the time you got a sleeper, but we did get to see some of the countryside and avoided airports (which I hate like a passion). We had 6 nights in Washington - and I am with the rest this is a must do. There is heaps to do - and lots of kid friendly things - and better still most of it is free and accommodation is really cheap (check out the Holiday Inn Capital - right on the Mall and very reasonably priced, think we paid $99/night). We then caught the train up to NYC (3 hrs) for 4 nights and I have to say with the cold (December weather) and limited children friendly activities that was sufficient for our child (I of course could have happily spent a lot longer).

Any way you plan you will have a great time.
DCL - 2013 (Fantasy)

aussiecookfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #19
CJ2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiecookfamily View Post
In 2011 we did 3 1/2 weeks on the East Coast. We started at WDW for 14 nights - no way my Disney fanatic daughter would tolerate waiting to go there last! We gamely caught the Amtrak from Orlando to Washington - probably ended up costing more than flying by the time you got a sleeper, but we did get to see some of the countryside and avoided airports (which I hate like a passion). We had 6 nights in Washington - and I am with the rest this is a must do. There is heaps to do - and lots of kid friendly things - and better still most of it is free and accommodation is really cheap (check out the Holiday Inn Capital - right on the Mall and very reasonably priced, think we paid $99/night). We then caught the train up to NYC (3 hrs) for 4 nights and I have to say with the cold (December weather) and limited children friendly activities that was sufficient for our child (I of course could have happily spent a lot longer).

Any way you plan you will have a great time.
Yep hate the airports too, thanks for the info. What did u think of Amtrak is it safe, where does luggage go? And when u bring carry on stuff can u secure that?
Old 07-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #20
izzybjenn
Earning My Ears

I've travelled throughout the US. My now must go to:- New Orleans, New York and Washington. Driving wasn't hard gaps was a necessity!
izzybjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #21
aussiecookfamily
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2001 View Post
Yep hate the airports too, thanks for the info. What did u think of Amtrak is it safe, where does luggage go? And when u bring carry on stuff can u secure that?
We travelled by Sleeper class - certainly felt safe at all times (only slightly nervous moment was being dropped off at the Orlando Train station at night to catch the train - but really very safe inside the station). We checked our suitcases into the baggage car and took our carry on bags with us. You could lock your sleeper rooms (slept 2) when you were in them, so felt quite safe whilst you were sleeping. Took our valuables with us when we went to the dining car (all meals were included with the sleeper). Have to say that it was a bit older and smaller than we were imagining, but all the staff were lovely, and it added an extra element of adventure to the trip.
DCL - 2013 (Fantasy)

aussiecookfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #22
Lei
Mouseketeer

I second New Orleans. Never been there, actually, but I'd love love love to!
Lei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 AM   #23
AussieCaribou
Mouseketeer

New Orleans is amazing...look into the cabins at bayou segnette - they are amazing. It's difficult to book them, but worth the effort. Over the water and only a 10 minute drive/boat ride to NO.
AussieCaribou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:10 AM   #24
ssour
Mouseketeer

I'm going to be different and say Chicago, our favourite city in the States. Still a nice big city but not as hectic as New York. It's got a Hersheys store so I'm happy! Depends on time if year as well. I hate the cold so you won't catch me in the North East during the winter months. Don't like to gamble with the chance of being snowed in either. US spring or fall would be my pick for that part of the country, with the later being the top pick of you're planning on a Boston stop. We also really enjoyed DC, so much to see there.
ssour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #25
Michaella
Mouseketeer

Sounds a lot like our upcoming trip... We are a family of four from Australia as well.. DD is 10 and DS is 13. We did West coast 3 years ago.

We fly in to LAX, then spend two days (break up the long flight) in LA.. visiting California adventure for one day to see Cars land as it was not open last time we went over. We then head to NY for four nights... wish it was longer. Catch train to Washington for two nights. The fly to Orlando have two nights are Universal hotel, visit US and IOA. Move to Disney for 10 nights.. will spend one day doing Kennedy Space Centre. Fly back to LAX, two nights in Anaheim to attend MNSSHP with friends then fly back home... phew!

DS 12 DD 9

Jan 1996 Tokyo Disney
Sept 1999 Disneyland
Sept 2010 Disneyland
Sept 2013 Disneyland and Disneyworld... and MNSSHP
Michaella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:15 AM   #26
CJ2001
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssour View Post
I'm going to be different and say Chicago, our favourite city in the States. Still a nice big city but not as hectic as New York. It's got a Hersheys store so I'm happy! Depends on time if year as well. I hate the cold so you won't catch me in the North East during the winter months. Don't like to gamble with the chance of being snowed in either. US spring or fall would be my pick for that part of the country, with the later being the top pick of you're planning on a Boston stop. We also really enjoyed DC, so much to see there.
Thanks for your advice, Chicago is definitely a place I'm interested in
Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 AM   #27
CJ2001
Mouseketeer

Yes I think we would break up the trip with a couple of days in either LA or San Fran.

Had a look into the Amtrak train & they have one for 8 sections within 15 days has anyone used this & travelled from Orlando up to Boston stopping at places in between to break up the journey? Is say Orlando to savannah an overnight trip?

Would like to try & get around the US via train as my husband gets a bit anxious on planes, but if the distance between is to far between some places we might be better off flying to some

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: