Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I've always just orders an,orange juice and coffee and never been charged extra there, and every other character breakfast. They gave me the impression that they don't count coffee as your beverage.
I wasn't sure, particularly for dinner.

But with that information -- with it being included -- it means under the example given, the DxDP would have been exactly break even. If the poster had also maximized their snacks, then you can count a "savings" of about 5%.
Doesn't seem like a "huge mistake" to skip the DxDP.

I did the DxDP and saved a good amount of money -- Back when it was about $70. But now that it's over $100.... There is still some potential savings, but not very much. (I was averaging $90-$100 in value per day, back when it was $70).
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
I wasn't sure, particularly for dinner.

But with that information -- with it being included -- it means under the example given, the DxDP would have been exactly break even. If the poster had also maximized their snacks, then you can count a "savings" of about 5%.
Doesn't seem like a "huge mistake" to skip the DxDP.

I did the DxDP and saved a good amount of money -- Back when it was about $70. But now that it's over $100.... There is still some potential savings, but not very much. (I was averaging $90-$100 in value per day, back when it was $70).
I'd agree with that. I haven't done the pen and paper math yet, but I'm within $100 for the DXDP and OOP using the spreadsheet. With it being that close I'll do the DXDP every time!

I think I've seen coffees or lattes in exchange for dessert.

Last edited by aaarcher86; 07-25-2013 at 11:26 AM.
aaarcher86 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #18
nemajovc
Earning My Ears

Just remember to plan for tips with TSs. Most people do but it can add up.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
nemajovc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I'd agree with that. I haven't done the pen and paper math yet, but I'm within $100 for the DXDP and OOP using the spreadsheet. With it being that close I'll do the DXDP every time!

I think I've seen coffees or lattes in exchange for dessert.
Yes, I've typically seen a coffee allowed as a dessert.

I take the opposite attitude --- If there isn't a significant savings, why be tied down to a "plan." While everyone is different, I never personally found the plan to be less stressful than simply ordering what you want, when you want.

Last trip -- we ate "deluxe style" -- Over 5 nights -- 3 signature dinners, 2 ts dinners, 3 ts lunches, and 2 cs lunches.... Ordered whatever we wanted, never skimped, often got appetizers... And the total cost was about the same as the regular dining plan (But got much more than we would have gotten on the regular dining plan). Our total food expenses were about $800, where the DxDP would have been about $1300.

Now, while we didn't skimp at all -- we also didn't get individual desserts at every meal. Sometimes we each got an appetizer and entree, sometimes we shared, sometimes we had an appetizer as our meal. All depended on what we actually wanted. We did not do a ton of extra snacks -- not to skimp, just because we weren't hungry for them.

So when comparing any dining plan to OOP -- instead of comparing what is "covered" -- which nowadays usually makes the plans about break-even -- I'd look at "how do we realistically want to eat" -- Which for most people, I think is a fair amount cheaper than the dining plans.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Yes, I've typically seen a coffee allowed as a dessert.

I take the opposite attitude --- If there isn't a significant savings, why be tied down to a "plan." While everyone is different, I never personally found the plan to be less stressful than simply ordering what you want, when you want.

Last trip -- we ate "deluxe style" -- Over 5 nights -- 3 signature dinners, 2 ts dinners, 3 ts lunches, and 2 cs lunches.... Ordered whatever we wanted, never skimped, often got appetizers... And the total cost was about the same as the regular dining plan (But got much more than we would have gotten on the regular dining plan). Our total food expenses were about $800, where the DxDP would have been about $1300.

Now, while we didn't skimp at all -- we also didn't get individual desserts at every meal. Sometimes we each got an appetizer and entree, sometimes we shared, sometimes we had an appetizer as our meal. All depended on what we actually wanted. We did not do a ton of extra snacks -- not to skimp, just because we weren't hungry for them.

So when comparing any dining plan to OOP -- instead of comparing what is "covered" -- which nowadays usually makes the plans about break-even -- I'd look at "how do we realistically want to eat" -- Which for most people, I think is a fair amount cheaper than the dining plans.
I think you're probably in the majority. For me personally, we're almost break even without me getting a dessert/app at each TS. Getting the DXDP allows me to get the app/dessert for nearly the same cost and I enjoy getting those things. For me, it's almost like extra perks for nearly the same cost. I won't order a dessert that I haven't had before for fear of not liking it and then I'm annoyed I just bought something I don't like. With the DXDP I can try things I wouldn't normally have tried. So far, we've had either a FD or SPD discount and upgraded to DXDP so we're saving money by getting it.

I'll be looking at the TIW card for our next trip though and comparing that as well since we'll be doing DVC and a full price DXDP if we go that route. Who knows!

aaarcher86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #21
serene56
DIS Veteran

For us-- the dining plan will cost 770.00 for 2 adults. this will give me 7 counter, 7 sit downs and 7 snacks times 2.
One of our meals is Cinderellas table which is 2 credits. so we are basically only getting 6 sit downs.

We made our ADRs then we had a restaurant party.

after doing the math we figured our choices will cost us less then 770 and we still get 7 sit downs including cinderellas table.

I did not want to worry about eating at a counter service that was not worth the credit (Sleepy Hallow for a chicken and waffle sandwich)

or not getting the dessert because i was too full and do not want to be sluggish when i am touring the parks.

to make the plan work for us we needed to spend 20 for a counter service 30 for a dinner and 5 for a snack every day in order to be at the break even point.

We point the money on a gift card so realistically-- those meals are as prepaid as the dining plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: