Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Spankadoodle
Earning My Ears

Keto on at Disney

Hi All,

Anybody here tried a Ketogenic diet while at Disney? That's 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs.

I've planned ahead, booking mainly buffets and a steakhouse for dining, with the 2 day before the marathon allowing for more carbs.
Spankadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankadoodle View Post
Hi All,

Anybody here tried a Ketogenic diet while at Disney? That's 60% fat, 35% protein and 5% carbs.

I've planned ahead, booking mainly buffets and a steakhouse for dining, with the 2 day before the marathon allowing for more carbs.
Hey keto buddy!

I have been doing a keto diet for years and have recently changed up the macronutrient ratios to a 70%-75% fat and net carbs of 20g or less a day. Prior to my Disney trip, I hadn't touched sugar in years (not counting the sugar in ketchup, etc.) For the trip I decided well in advance to just let go and eat "poorly." It was a hard decision and I paid the price. I gained about 5 pounds by the end of the trip, which wasn't so bad, but it took a few weeks to get my muscles keto adapted again. Getting back to the gym was tough! The good news is that I dropped those 5 pounds in a week and lost more on top of it.

I wish I had better news, but it's going to be really, really difficult especially since Disney is still stuck in the "low fat = healthy" mindset.
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Spankadoodle
Earning My Ears

Hello Mr. Swift, thanks for the heads up.

From your response, I fully expect my diet to go out the window on this trip. The whole point of my current lifestyle change is to get ready for the Half Marathon in January. I know I'll be required to double if not triple my current carb load before the race in order to make it through the race. I can pretty much hit my macros at the buffets, so I'll allow myself a little extra fun on the other days.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Jonathan Swift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spankadoodle View Post
Hello Mr. Swift, thanks for the heads up.

From your response, I fully expect my diet to go out the window on this trip. The whole point of my current lifestyle change is to get ready for the Half Marathon in January. I know I'll be required to double if not triple my current carb load before the race in order to make it through the race. I can pretty much hit my macros at the buffets, so I'll allow myself a little extra fun on the other days.
Hmmm. You know, you may not want to carb load for the marathon. Carbs would be needed for short high endurance (e.g., sprinting), but marathon racing while ketogenic may give you an advantage. You won't "bonk" staying in a ketogenic state and you'll have access to your body fat for energy.

This video by Peter Attia is over an hour long, but I think it may be of great interest to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqwvcrA7oe8

You should also read up on what Tim Nokes has to say recently about running and carbohydrates.

I'm very knowledgeable about nutrition for weight loss, but not endurance running. Those sources I provided above are some of the most knowledgeable I know.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #5
Spankadoodle
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I guess I'll just store a couple bricks of cream cheese in my room fridge to hit my macros instead.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
Jonathan Swift

I never tried it personally, but that SuperStarch stuff might be something to try.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: