Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
flamark
Mouseketeer

Need some pixie dust

Well I'm kinda down in the dumps right now because it seems like we are going to have to change resorts for our upcoming 20th anniversary trip from POLY to AOA. The good thing is that the reason for the change is that my DS19, DS16 and DS19's GF are going to be able to join us for the first 3 nights of our trip. I am very happy they will be there and would much rather be with them than at a nicer resort, but I thought we would be able to keep POLY and have them come. UNTIL $2000-$3000 food bills started smacking me in the face. So it's AOA LK suite for me, DS19, DS16, DS11, DS7 and LM room for DW,DS19GF, DD5. Most importantly I need for you guys to tell me that AOA is cool and that we will have a good time and not be sad we aren't at POLY. Also can I request a LK suite "close to LM" and a LM room "close to LK"? How far is that? I know from the map they are right next to each other but 100'? 200'? Also, while watching a resort video it looked as though the cones at the Cars pool were cabanas. Are they for rent or just first come first serve? Thanks in advance for the info and please tell me it'll all be ok!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamark View Post
Well I'm kinda down in the dumps right now because it seems like we are going to have to change resorts for our upcoming 20th anniversary trip from POLY to AOA. The good thing is that the reason for the change is that my DS19, DS16 and DS19's GF are going to be able to join us for the first 3 nights of our trip. I am very happy they will be there and would much rather be with them than at a nicer resort, but I thought we would be able to keep POLY and have them come. UNTIL $2000-$3000 food bills started smacking me in the face. So it's AOA LK suite for me, DS19, DS16, DS11, DS7 and LM room for DW,DS19GF, DD5. Most importantly I need for you guys to tell me that AOA is cool and that we will have a good time and not be sad we aren't at POLY. Also can I request a LK suite "close to LM" and a LM room "close to LK"? How far is that? I know from the map they are right next to each other but 100'? 200'? Also, while watching a resort video it looked as though the cones at the Cars pool were cabanas. Are they for rent or just first come first serve? Thanks in advance for the info and please tell me it'll all be ok!
Those two room types will be in completely different sections. The comes are first come first serve I believe, and people rise crazy early and claim them with towels.
Register to remove

Old 07-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
snowwhite84
DIS Veteran

You will have an awesome time How fun that everyone will get to go together!

Besides, it is just a good excuse to book a future trip at the Poly!

snowwhite84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
smithgrandchild
Disney Veteran

You could also consider having two resort experiences during the trip and changing to the Poly after the kids leave to defer some of the cost and have a special experience for just the two of you. We've done this and it works fine.
smithgrandchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
blackmamba10000
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgrandchild View Post
You could also consider having two resort experiences during the trip and changing to the Poly after the kids leave to defer some of the cost and have a special experience for just the two of you. We've done this and it works fine.
We're doing a split stay as well! Disney makes it super easy for you to switch hotels!

Even if you decide not to do a split stay, AoA is super special! The level of detail can't be beat and the food court I hear is one of the best on property! There's a couple threads devoted to AoA. I suggest you take a look at these, as there are some major fans who'll be glad to share the best of AoA. The best part is, you can still plan on visiting the Poly for dinner one night at Ohana's or the Spirit of Aloha dinner show. You could time your reservation so you can catch the electrical water parade and MK's "Wishes" fireworks from the beach at the Poly!
blackmamba10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
HopperFan
"It's a bug-eat-bug world out there, princess. One of those "circle of life" kind of things."

I would for sure make the request for the ends of each building in trying to keep your family closer together. Unless you are wanting the kitchenette have you thought about three LM rooms together, putting the teen boys in a room? Might cost less and help with that food bill And are you going during "Free" Dining, that would help considerably with that many people!

I haven't stayed but walked it all over and took the TA tour of the Lion King Suites. There is no detail they haven't imagineered! Loved the food court, ate here a few times and unless they changed it - real plates and flatware. Had long convo with food manager and chef and they are working hard to make this a special experience for a value.

Was around the cars pool in September and it was pretty empty and most the cones were empty. I would def try to utilize them!

Here is only pic I got of both buildings. So the end of the Lion King on right and start of Mermaid on left. Maybe farther than 200' but not crazy far.

2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013 for "COMPLIMENTARY" Dining

Making Magical Visits since 1971 ~ now visiting 5-6 weeks per year ON PROPERTY STAYS & Our Star Rating:
Animal Kingdom Lodge 2x ~ Wilderness Lodge
Coronado Springs 7x ~ PO Riverside (Dixie Landings) 5x (1xRoyal) ~ Bonnett Creek (w/car)
POP Century 14x ~ Hilton DTD 2x
All Star Movie ~ Doubletree Suites DTD 2x ~ Wilderness Cabins ~ All Star Sports 3x
Caribbean Beach 2x (1xPirate) ~ All Star Music 2x
Lots of offsite, but somehow it never seems right, 'though Rosen Shingle Creek was luxury I could get used to !
HopperFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: