Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v
 
hsmamato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,978

Why do I think I'm an expert? Resort Advice please!

Why is it so somple to help others plan their trips, but when it comes down to it, I 2nd guess my own to WDW nonstop? OK...disclaimer,I have been to WDW MANY times, stayed at various onsite places,visited all the other ones. Right now,thinking about my upcoming options, I can potentially choose between 3. (I know,lucky) so...I can
1- Stay at the Dolphin,(got a super great rate), use Disney transport onsite,pay OOP for QS.Plus we would get hopper tix ,7 day.(pay for taxi back to airport tho)
2-Stay at Pop, get free QS dining, rent a car (hate the bus stops there) get 7 day base tix-
3- stay POFQ with FD (if available)-so free TS dining- 7 day base tix,use Disney transport,including ME
What to do? moneywise, the Pop stay is the cheapest 2644.00,Dolphin is 2916.00, (272.00 more) POFQ is 3308.00- (so approx 664.00 more than pop,392.00 more than Dolphin)
I like certain sections of Pop,tho rooms are small, never stayed Dolphin, but LOVE that area- and Love POFQ anyway.....
Food.... we've done FD with TS for a couple of years,honestly I don't love the food that much, but it was good deal.....we're familiar with WDW so finding good QS isn't a problem
Currently leaning towards Dolphin for the location,and hopper tix, kind of a different feel,we usually have base tix. WWYD?
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v
 
hsmamato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,978

also forgot to mention.... we like to hang out and relax quite a bit..... pools,views,etc. If anyone has stayed Dolphin, does this place have a nice 'feel' for the hanging out types? (last year,we enjoyed hanging out at POFQ quite a bit) we're not the shower and run out the door types at all.... and I assume the rooms at Dolphin might be roomier than Pop?
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 07-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate
 
mommyof3princess27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Too far from Disney
Posts: 6,055

I think it depends if you want the TS or not... and you hang out at the pool I would do Dolphin or POFQ. My vote would be POFQ and do some TS. I love the resort
__________________


Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code, Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing, Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP, 2014 POR RGR w/Free Dlx Dining
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
luvallprincesses
DIS Veteran
 
luvallprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
Why is it so somple to help others plan their trips, but when it comes down to it, I 2nd guess my own to WDW nonstop? OK...disclaimer,I have been to WDW MANY times, stayed at various onsite places,visited all the other ones. Right now,thinking about my upcoming options, I can potentially choose between 3. (I know,lucky) so...I can
1- Stay at the Dolphin,(got a super great rate), use Disney transport onsite,pay OOP for QS.Plus we would get hopper tix ,7 day.(pay for taxi back to airport tho)
2-Stay at Pop, get free QS dining, rent a car (hate the bus stops there) get 7 day base tix-
3- stay POFQ with FD (if available)-so free TS dining- 7 day base tix,use Disney transport,including ME
What to do? moneywise, the Pop stay is the cheapest 2644.00,Dolphin is 2916.00, (272.00 more) POFQ is 3308.00- (so approx 664.00 more than pop,392.00 more than Dolphin)
I like certain sections of Pop,tho rooms are small, never stayed Dolphin, but LOVE that area- and Love POFQ anyway.....
Food.... we've done FD with TS for a couple of years,honestly I don't love the food that much, but it was good deal.....we're familiar with WDW so finding good QS isn't a problem
Currently leaning towards Dolphin for the location,and hopper tix, kind of a different feel,we usually have base tix. WWYD?
We are in a similar situation to you. Really considering the Dolphin for our first time. How great to have the option to walk or even boat to 2 parks. Heavenly beds. We don't want the dining plan, would book a couple TS but we tend to enjoy our QS meals as much and have our favorites. We agree that we couldn't resist park hoppers (which we NEVER get) when right next door to Epcot and HS. And Epcot WS has some of those favorite QS locations. Paying for a town car to/from airport is minor. Although we will miss the experience/hyping up of ME on the way, we won't miss the sad return or the sometimes long wait and stop at other resorts. I think you just helped me convince myself to do the Dolphin. Thanks! BTW, we are going to get AAA membership for the % off the dining at Picabu, and in case the AAA rate ends up better than the Teacher rate. And maybe consider the Starwoods AMEX rewards card, too, in addition to the membership card I already signed up for. Happy deciding!
__________________

Aug 1997 CBR, April 2005 POP, May 2005 ASM
Dec 2006 POP, Nov/Dec 2009 POR, Nov/Dec 2011 POFQ
Nov/Dec 2012 WL Jan 2014 BC
luvallprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
MET270
Mouseketeer
 
MET270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 157

My DW and I did the Swan a few years ago and absolutely loved it. Great location, easy access to Dis transportation, good restaurants. However, we stayed at AKL on our next trip and I like staying on property, especially with the DDP. in Aug we will be at CR for the first time, can't wait! I would say give the Dolphin a try this time, I don't think you will be disappointed.
MET270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 7,517

Of your choices, I'm leaning toward the Dolphin stay with QS OOP meals and taxi to/from airport. The deluxe style rooms and large pool for hanging out plus the location for walking to Epcot and DHS would be great. We stayed in the Swan and ate at Picabu a couple times and used the pool a couple days. We enjoyed that stay a lot.

I have stayed at PopC and it's not my favorite value resort. I have not stayed at POFQ before but have stayed in the other moderates. The rooms are fine but no where near as nice as those at Swan/Dolphin.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v
 
hsmamato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvallprincesses View Post
I think you just helped me convince myself to do the Dolphin. Thanks! BTW, we are going to get AAA membership for the % off the dining at Picabu, and in case the AAA rate ends up better than the Teacher rate. And maybe consider the Starwoods AMEX rewards card, too, in addition to the membership card I already signed up for. Happy deciding!
haha glad to be of help! I forgot,we have AAA also, so that will help with dining at the hotel too,looks like 20% off even the qs at Dolphin? If dolphin standard rooms are 360 sf, how does that compare to POFQ size rooms?
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #8
luvallprincesses
DIS Veteran
 
luvallprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post

haha glad to be of help! I forgot,we have AAA also, so that will help with dining at the hotel too,looks like 20% off even the qs at Dolphin? If dolphin standard rooms are 360 sf, how does that compare to POFQ size rooms?
Moderates at wdw are 314 square feet. I'm not sure how much of the 360 sf at Dolphin can be contributed to actual bedroom size (as opposed to bathroom, entryway) which i think is what makes it feel bigger. I expect them to feel about the same size-wise. The WL rooms had such small "usable" space compared to moderates, so much of the square footage was in hallway/entryway and sink area, I was so surprised.

I didn't remember that it was as much as 20% off for AAA but that's great. I remembered it was significant enough to warrant the membership though.
__________________

Aug 1997 CBR, April 2005 POP, May 2005 ASM
Dec 2006 POP, Nov/Dec 2009 POR, Nov/Dec 2011 POFQ
Nov/Dec 2012 WL Jan 2014 BC
luvallprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v
 
hsmamato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,978

Well, still thinking,but seeing it all out here has me leaning towards the Dolphin too....and it would a new place to stay,so there is that! And yes, with PH tix, we could just hop to Epcot nightly for a dinner somewhere,my DH would love that....
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #10
luvallprincesses
DIS Veteran
 
luvallprincesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
Well, still thinking,but seeing it all out here has me leaning towards the Dolphin too....and it would a new place to stay,so there is that! And yes, with PH tix, we could just hop to Epcot nightly for a dinner somewhere,my DH would love that....
I'm glad we helped convince each other! I am booking the dolphin tomorrow. The rates for our dates in Jan right now for teacher, standard room, are $209 (plus tax and resort fee) but I hope/expect it will come down if I keep checking. When are you planning for? (Sorry if that's in your signature; I don't see them on mobile.)
__________________

Aug 1997 CBR, April 2005 POP, May 2005 ASM
Dec 2006 POP, Nov/Dec 2009 POR, Nov/Dec 2011 POFQ
Nov/Dec 2012 WL Jan 2014 BC
luvallprincesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #11
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v
 
hsmamato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,978

We're going the week before Thansgiving, got a great rate on Quikbook..... keep looking sometimes they have great sales!
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v
 
hsmamato2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5,978

Oh wow...all this talk of free dining,room discounts etc etc made me rethink and crunch all my numbers again....ack! anyway I ALMOST booked a Pop package...... but then I stopped myself..... I would probably be making the mistake of apples to oranges....Pop to Dolphin..... so I got the rates for a comparable stay at BC or Poly with a package.....then I was settled,and happy with my current deal! Even tho Pop is a good deal with a package,etc...... I am now at the point in my Disvacationing where a couple of bucks more seems worth it to me to have a bit of extra 'luxury' for a week.....
SO I'm sticking with the Dolphin,and mostly QS (yum Epcot) for our week.....
(I love how my DH has absolutely NO idea how much I think about this stuff)
hsmamato2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
jba2
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 207

The Dolphin is a fabulous choice. I no longer stay at Disney Deluxe resorts as I love the Dolphin prices. With what I'm saving in the room, I get park hoppers as it's so easy getting to HS and Epcot. Many say that free dining isn't actually free anyway. Instead of looking for a taxi to go to and from the area, try looking at a car service.
__________________
Me DH DD DS DS
jba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.