Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Mommy2Corinne
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to get the hotel that you wanted...especially for your honeymoon! Honestly though, AKL Savannah view is a magical choice.

It had always been my dream to stay at the Poly too, although we are huge fans of AKL. So in May of 2010 (I think?) we did a split stay between AKL and the Poly. Our room at the Poly was dirty, dark, and loud (we were on the first floor right next to an elevator). It was far from the paradise I had dreamed of. When we finally made it to AKL for the second half of our trip, it was like walking back into our home. The lobby, the animals, the restaurants, even the smell (kind of like a welcoming campfire). Anyway...my kids adore AKL. They go nuts every morning when they wake up and see the animals right outside our balcony. Your daughter will love it!!

I've always thought the bus transportation was great. Honestly, you can get just about anywhere in 20 mins (including the wait time). It was never crowded for us either (we usually go in the fall or in the early spring). And we make tons of dining ressies (including other resorts) and have always managed to bus/monorail hop with no issues.

Good luck! Congrats and I hope your honeymoon is magical no matter where you stay.
DD (10)
DD (4)
DS (2)
Mommy2Corinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer

The Poly is my favorite but the GF and WL are close seconds for me. MK is my favorite park too and I like being close to that park and hotels. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those options. I like the CR too, but often see a lot of conventioneers and don't want to be reminded of work while in vacation!
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #18
PrincessSuzanne
Guess I will be eating crow tonight
Good thing I can be quiet when necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by isabelle315 View Post
Just called again - Contemporary is also blocked out now, as is Beach Club.

So, unless we go below Deluxe level (we've only ever stayed at AoA, and loved it, but looking for a little more fanciness for this trip) we have -

AKL savannah room - obviously the big PROs there are the restaurants and the animal view. Con, I guess, is slightly longer transportation to the parks.

WL courtyard view - a few hundred bucks cheaper, on the lagoon, and a little closer to MK. Con to me seems like not so many great restaurants. How hard is it to get from WL to Poly, so we could still eat at Ohana and Kona Cafe?

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

BTW aaarcher - I grew up in (and still visit) Columbus/Westerville!! O-H!!
It's not hard to get to the Poly from WL, take the bus or boat to MK and hop on the resort monorail. If you are going for an early breakfast prior to park opening, sometimes the MK bus driver will just drop you off at the Poly, they did that for us one morning, as we were the only people on the bus.

The WL is beautiful and so romantic in the evening. Check CL rates, we got a great deal for our upcoming trip.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the responses so far. I think it'd be between WL and AKL.... man, this screws up some dining reservations, too!!

One other issue is that we planned on using the childcare center at Poly one night so that we could dine at Victoria and Alberts....do either of WL or AKL have a childcare center? I know there's a small one at GF, and I suppose we could take my daughter with us and drop her there while we eat, but I've heard the center at GF isn't very good! (at least not compared to the one at Poly).

I guess I'll have to make a phone call to CS every few days to check for an opening at Poly - too bad I can't check online!
we always stay at the CR...that said our neighbor stayed at the WL with his 5YO son in April...the neighbor is not a big Disney guy but could not stop gushing about the WL- absolutely loved it...said he and his so loved the boat ride over from the WL and the overpass they rode (he's a big time real estate developer and was impressed)...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #20
P'colaBeachBum
Go 'Noles!

Quote:
Ugh, just got off the phone with CS - tried to switch my Poly reservation in October to the Armed Forces Salute, and the CM told me the Poly has already met its quota for AFS rooms and there aren't any left!!! I'm so sad!

We'll be there for a week in October - me, my fiance, and my 5-year old daughter for our "familymoon". We picked the Poly because we've never stayed there, it is SO convenient for afternoon breaks, and we wanted an amazing and special resort for our honeymoon that would also be cool for my daughter.

Now I'm debating what to do. Of course I'll call periodically to check for cancellations....but I probably ought to make another reservation in the mean time. Paying full price is just not an option.

So - what do you think?? I am definitely considering AK savannah view - they are available - but... I'm so worried about the transportation being a problem. We were so psyched for the monorail! How bad (slow) is the transportation really? We'll be visiting MK twice, the other 3 parks once each.

What do you all think about GF for kids?

I've heard Wilderness Lodge is pretty awesome theme-wise, but, again, transportation...?

What would you do?

Julie
I also called yesterday after the new Armed Forces Salute discount came out. We wanted Poly for Oct. 22-23 and the only thing available was a Suite. Lucked out and got a discounted room the following week. The last time I stayed there was 1972 so I'm looking forward to the new renovations.

I found the GF to be "stuffy", but we loved AK.

Keep checking the Poly....Good Luck!

Last edited by P'colaBeachBum; 07-23-2013 at 05:15 PM.
P'colaBeachBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #21
Zeppelin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Corinne View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you weren't able to get the hotel that you wanted...especially for your honeymoon! Honestly though, AKL Savannah view is a magical choice.

It had always been my dream to stay at the Poly too, although we are huge fans of AKL. So in May of 2010 (I think?) we did a split stay between AKL and the Poly. Our room at the Poly was dirty, dark, and loud (we were on the first floor right next to an elevator). It was far from the paradise I had dreamed of.
its funny you say this....we are a Contemporary Resort family- have stayed there near a dozen times...i've always wanted to at least try the Poly despite the objections of my wife and daughter....recently someone at my club who stayed at the Poly had basically the same criticisms you posted...hence we are once again going back to the CR next month...
Old 07-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #22
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So, unless we go below Deluxe level (we've only ever stayed at AoA, and loved it, but looking for a little more fanciness for this trip) we have -

AKL savannah room - obviously the big PROs there are the restaurants and the animal view. Con, I guess, is slightly longer transportation to the parks.

WL courtyard view - a few hundred bucks cheaper, on the lagoon, and a little closer to MK. Con to me seems like not so many great restaurants. How hard is it to get from WL to Poly, so we could still eat at Ohana and Kona Cafe?

Thanks again, guys, for your help.

BTW aaarcher - I grew up in (and still visit) Columbus/Westerville!! O-H!!
I-O!!! lol

We're actually right by that - right where Reynoldsburg/Pataskala/Blacklick/Gahanna all meet together! Small world!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #23
prune1977
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Ugh, just got off the phone with CS - tried to switch my Poly reservation in October to the Armed Forces Salute, and the CM told me the Poly has already met its quota for AFS rooms and there aren't any left!!! I'm so sad!

We'll be there for a week in October - me, my fiance, and my 5-year old daughter for our "familymoon". We picked the Poly because we've never stayed there, it is SO convenient for afternoon breaks, and we wanted an amazing and special resort for our honeymoon that would also be cool for my daughter.

Now I'm debating what to do. Of course I'll call periodically to check for cancellations....but I probably ought to make another reservation in the mean time. Paying full price is just not an option.

So - what do you think?? I am definitely considering AK savannah view - they are available - but... I'm so worried about the transportation being a problem. We were so psyched for the monorail! How bad (slow) is the transportation really? We'll be visiting MK twice, the other 3 parks once each.

What do you all think about GF for kids?

I've heard Wilderness Lodge is pretty awesome theme-wise, but, again, transportation...?

What would you do?

Julie
Well, so far we've stayed at WL, AKL savannah view and Poly (where we thought would be our dream resort) Guess what this is the order of our favorites.
1. WL by a lot the boat ride to Mk was so nice & pretty short, bus ride to there was short as well.
2. Poly
3.AKL resort just seemed to be spread out way too much for my liking.

: Christmas surprise AKL: Jan 2012

dream stay? plus Mom & dad went with us Poly: Jan 2013

Surprise trip for the kids, 1st time waterparks Beach Club Sept 13,
prune1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We've stayed at both WL and AKL and IMO, you can't go wrong with either one. WL is great as it's convenient to MK via boat and the bus transportation (in our experience) has always been great. Plus you can take the boat to the CR where you can hop on the monorail to go to the Poly.

AKL is also a great resort. I wouldn't worry too much about the transportation. Even though AKL is out away from everything, we didn't find the buses to be bad at all. It didn't take more than about 5 extra minutes to get to the parks compared to other resorts. Since the buses only go to AKL and Kidani, there's no sharing with any other resort(s).

We've had great stays at both resorts and wouldn't hesitate to stay at either one again. I would choose the one that appeals to you the most and then keep checking to see if something opens up at the Poly. Good luck .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #25
jcjen519
DIS Veteran

sorry to hear that you cant get the resort you wanted. i hope that you will get it if you keep calling. if not though, all the resorts are special. we have stayed at and enjoyed in addition to the Polynesian...cr, blt, bc, bc villas, boardwalk, akl, akl villas both kidani and jambo house and okw. gf seems like a great fit with a 5 year old girl.

sounds like that discount is booking up quick! i would book what i wanted from whats available and then keep trying to get the Polynesian. i am sure you will have a great time regardless of where you stay.

2015June6 days akv- club levelMarch- 9 days Boardwalk villas spring break 2014: December: YC CL, 12/12 dream concierge, 10 days AKV-CL July: 4 days boardwalk villas/Boardwalk Inn club level June -1 day OKW, 8 days GF RPC May - 4 days GF RPC march-April - 10 days Poly cl/ 2013: Bay Lake Tower TPV, fantasy concierge, bc cl, poly cl (2x), gf sl, vero beach resort 2012 - Vero beach resort, OKW, Poly cl (too many to count before that)
Husband, myself and 4 year old son
jcjen519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #26
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

WWID? I'd keep trying, of course, and keep my fingers crossed, but if not, I would consider WL Concierge.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #27
Dreamsdocometrue9112
"hang onto your hats and glasses 'cause this here's the wildest ride in the wilderness!"

I would do WL! It's a boat ride from MK and so cozy and romantic (especially in October!). To get to poly is fairly easy...hop on the boat to MK and hop on the monorail or other boat! I'm not sure if there is a boat that goes to all 4 resorts, someone will need to verify but I think there might be!

Dreamsdocometrue9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:58 AM   #28
SanChan
Earning My Ears

Congratulations
SanChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #29
isabelle315
Earning My Ears

Went ahead and booked at WL - sounds like we will love it there, too! Aside from easy monorail access, I don't think we'll be disappointed at all if we end up staying there.

Thanks again, everyone - you are all so very helpful!!!

I'm not sure which I'm more excited for - the wedding or the disneymoon!!!
isabelle315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #30
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Went ahead and booked at WL - sounds like we will love it there, too! Aside from easy monorail access, I don't think we'll be disappointed at all if we end up staying there.

Thanks again, everyone - you are all so very helpful!!!

I'm not sure which I'm more excited for - the wedding or the disneymoon!!!
You won't regret it. The WL is beautiful and romantic, IMO, and is a great place for a honeymoon .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: