Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
stormyR
Earning My Ears

Armed Forces Salute and Free Dining plan question

Before I spend the rest of the night pricing out scenarios Can anyone confirm this is true (in that you've actually DONE IT.. not just HEARD).

I read that it's possible to book at room at normal rate (NOT using AFS), buy the discounted 4 day park hopper passes, tell the CM booking the hotel thats what you are using, and get Free Dining.

Has anyone actually DONE this?

I know overall the room discount is probably better, but everything but Garden level and up is booked, so downgrounding to a Full priced standard room and getting free dining plan may work out better.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
tink&stitchmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormyR View Post
Before I spend the rest of the night pricing out scenarios Can anyone confirm this is true (in that you've actually DONE IT.. not just HEARD).

I read that it's possible to book at room at normal rate (NOT using AFS), buy the discounted 4 day park hopper passes, tell the CM booking the hotel thats what you are using, and get Free Dining.

I know overall the room discount is probably better, but everything but Garden level and up is booked, so downgrounding to a Full priced standard room and getting free dining plan may work out better.
I haven't been able to do this. When they first started the free dining a package with a minimum of a 1-day ticket was required. The past few years it's a package with a minimum of 2-day tickets. When it was a 1-day ticket we would use the 1 day and then buy the discounted AFS tickets--it was cheaper than upgrading the 1-day tickets.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Can't do it. Free dining requires a full price 2 day ticket on the package. Using discounted tickets and free dining is essentially stacking discounts which Disney doesn't do.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Double post
Old 07-23-2013, 08:08 AM   #5
Mrsjvb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Can't do it. Free dining requires a full price 2 day ticket on the package. Using discounted tickets and free dining is essentially stacking discounts which Disney doesn't do.
the way I read it is they are asking if they BUY the full package with the 2 day tickets but ALSO buy the StH tickets and use them instead, thus ending up with a bunch of 2 day tickets they can use at a later date, can they also get FD. in some twisted math universe who knows it might be cheaper in the long run to do it that way.

is anything that says the tickets that are used to enter the parks must be the ones that are part of the package?

Perhaps our guru Mr Figment can answer definitively.

I am pricing out my own trip and I am given to understand that I can get a Room only with the military discount and purchase the DDP to use in conjunction with StH. without it having to be a full MYW package with tickets.
Mrsjvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsjvb View Post
the way I read it is they are asking if they BUY the full package with the 2 day tickets but ALSO buy the StH tickets and use them instead, thus ending up with a bunch of 2 day tickets they can use at a later date, can they also get FD. in some twisted math universe who knows it might be cheaper in the long run to do it that way.

is anything that says the tickets that are used to enter the parks must be the ones that are part of the package?

Perhaps our guru Mr Figment can answer definitively.

I am pricing out my own trip and I am given to understand that I can get a Room only with the military discount and purchase the DDP to use in conjunction with StH. without it having to be a full MYW package with tickets.
I am interpreting the OP's post like aaarcher....that the OP wants to book a room at rack rate, buy the discounted AFS tickets (instead of the 2 day minimum at full price), and get FD. This, as aaarcher posted, would not be allowed as it would using 2 discounts on 1 reservation, which isn't allowed.

To answer your question about the tickets purchased with a package - tickets with a package do not have to be used at the time purchased and can be saved for a future trip as long as they aren't used. Without the non expiration option, tickets are good for 14 days from first use. We have purchased the 1 day base with FD in the past, but used non expire tickets from a previous trip and used those 1 day tickets on a later trip.

If you quality for the military discount and want the DDP, you can book a ticketless package (room with the military RO discount + DDP) without the ticket requirement, but will pay for the DDP. Ticketless packages are also available to DVC members staying on points, people who rent points, and AP holders. However, they are still required to purchase the minimum 2 day base tickets if they want FD.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
Disneylifeforme
Mouseketeer

We have annual passes so I was able to book a room only, no extra park tickets and get the dinning plan I paid for
Disneylifeforme is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: