Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
JetsetJAK
Mouseketeer

"Journey Into Imagination Starring Figment" to close 1/2/14 for year-long renovation?

Hey folks, I didn't see a thread here discussing this so figured I'd start one (sorry if there's already one that I missed).

Saw a post on The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia Facebook page about the Imagination pavilion at Epcot closing on January 2nd, 2014. You can see the post HERE. It says "The Captain EO show will not reopen, while the ride and retail location are rumored to remain closed for one year for renovations".

Anybody else hear anything about this, or have any idea what Disney might be planning?

Fall '89 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Spring '94 - offsite (Orlando Twin Towers)
Fall '00 - offsite (Delta Orlando Resort)
Fall '10 - All-Star Movies
FALL '12 - ALL-STAR MUSIC
JetsetJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
mesaboy2
Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsetJAK View Post
Hey folks, I didn't see a thread here discussing this so figured I'd start one (sorry if there's already one that I missed).

Saw a post on The Epcot Explorer's Encyclopedia Facebook page about the Imagination pavilion at Epcot closing on January 2nd, 2014. You can see the post HERE. It says "The Captain EO show will not reopen, while the ride and retail location are rumored to remain closed for one year for renovations".

Anybody else here anything about this, or have any idea what Disney might be planning?
Hadn't heard that one before. But then I hadn't heard about AP holders being limited to 20 FP+'s per quarter either.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Maleficent Dragon
DIS Veteran

This is a fantastic closure and a good amount of time to get some real stuff done.

Maleficent Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

While it would be nice to see the Imagination pavilion refurbished and something more done with the ImageWorks area, I'd take this as a rumor and treat it with a grain of salt. There have been several "rumors" that said Imagination is closing for various reasons over the years and so far, none of them have been true.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
RnbwSktles
DIS Veteran

I'm hoping this one isn't true just because I am going in January 2014 and I wanted to check out this pavilion since I remember nothing from it.

I've realized since joining the DIS that there is a lot of stuff in future world that I always miss!

2014 Coast to Coast Goal: Full marathon Jan 2014 & Dumbo Double Dare Aug 2014!
RnbwSktles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
figment80
Mouseketeer

If this ends up being true, very glad I made the trip last month.
figment80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

As the article that the OP quoted says, this is only a rumor at the moment. As such, I've moved this thread to the Rumors and News forum.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I wonder if they have a new sponsor for this pavilion.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Ya know what, it wouldn't surprise me if this was just a cost saving thing.

Would attendance drop if they close that pavilion? probably not noticeably. However, I'm sure that's quite a few CM's they can cost save on.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:59 PM   #10
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

This is not the first time I've heard EO would be closing. I think it could have had more longevity if they had remastered a digital print.

I know everyone would love to see Imagination revert to it's former glory. Is it more likely that we'll see a V4 instead of a return to V1, though?
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

Thanks for starting this thread. I am very worried about Figment, after the death of Mr. Toad which I am still go on about! Hoping they go back to something with Dreamfinder and don't get rid of the adorable purple guy! I did read a response on-line earlier today where a person who worked in the Imagination Pavilion store (so they indicated) seemed to know nothing about the rumor that CM's were notified. We aren't going again until February and already miss him, if it is true...

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

It's not even a particularly strong rumor - the whole thing seems to be based on "a Cast Member told me" (while others have countered that they have friend who work at JII who have heard nothing of the sort).

Here's the thing, JII is in desperate need of a refurb, but Disney is stuck paying long term for the sponsorship agreement they made with Kodak. Kodak is in bankruptcy, and the Dreamfinder and Figment IP is shared between Kodak and Disney. That IP is one of the few assets Kodak has that still generates a revenue stream (my understanding is that they have very few digital photography patents). So the bankruptcy court isn't going to allow Kodak to sell its share of that IP (unless it's at a serious premium). The bankruptcy court also isn't going to allow Kodak to invest more money into JII.

So Disney is stuck. About the only thing they could try and do is file an adversary action in the bankruptcy to try and force Kodak out at JII. But the bankruptcy court is not going to be particularly sympathetic to something that interrupts the flow of cash to pay off Kodak's creditors, so we're back where we started.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

AJRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #13
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I wonder if they have a new sponsor for this pavilion.
I've been hearing rumors of a new sponsor for a while - even before Kodak left. But that's nothing new around here
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #14
IndyDisney
Mouseketeer

Touring Plans Disney Dish mentioned this on a podcast a bit ago. Rumors include a retooled Dreamfinder with Jack Black (unlikely) to a Phineas and Ferb overhaul. I would think they'd save Figment - he sells too much plush, but who knows.

Again, just rumor. Take it as you will.

Cheers,
Indy
Member #592

'90 Caribbean Beach,'92 Dixie Landing,'93 Port Orleans, '94 Boardwalk, '95 Port Orleans, '96 & '97 Wilderness Lodge, '98 Disney Institute, '00 Polynesian, '05 POFQ, '10 POP,July 2011 - Coronado Springs

Next Trip: Aug 2014 Animal Kingdom Lodge and Yacht Club
IndyDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #15
rteetz
DIS Veteran

I've heard several rumors of a phineas and ferb themed area or even phineas and ferb getting put into figment. I don't want figment touched its classic i think it needs to stay close to the same. Captain EO I can see going I'm fine with that. But when figment comes into the question and rumors are flying about what's going to happen to figment I'm not happy with that.

[/url]
rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: