Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #1
princessap
DIS Veteran

Am contemplating split stay, wwyd?

I am contemplating split stay between CR and AKV. We will do mK first and MNSSHP early on in trip so was thinking CR first. My indecision is because we will do MK and BBB on our last park day and then chef mickeys on departure day so those will be a pain from AKV right??

This is our last disney trip for at least three years dh says
Our oldest will be 7 when we go so I want to do all the princess stuff before she tells me she is too old for it

Would you do split stay?!

AKV looks amazing!! I would love to try it out but we have decided on CR for at least part of the trip. augh decisions decisions.
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
trishadono
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessap View Post
I am contemplating split stay between CR and AKV. We will do mK first and MNSSHP early on in trip so was thinking CR first. My indecision is because we will do MK and BBB on our last park day and then chef mickeys on departure day so those will be a pain from AKV right??

Our oldest will be 7 when we go so I want to do all the princess stuff before she tells me she is too old for it

AKV looks amazing!! I would love to try it out but we have decided on CR for at least part of the trip. augh decisions decisions.
I do split stays with my dd18 when we travel alone. We will stay at value or mod then move for last day or two to deluxe CL. However when my kids were little and when I travel with dh split stays just aren't practical for most. You really do lose some time. If you like to unpack and relax this isn't a good option.

I usually recommend people to stay at one resort and visit the other. Plan on spending a few hours at AKL. Have a meal , shop, sit on the balcony and watch the animals etc.

Dd and dh and i love to explore hotels so one of takes ds to room in afternoon and the other 2 of us explore. I love to take bus to POR/POFQ, walk around then take boat to DTD then from there take bus back to our resort.

You are right about dd7. One day my dd was pushing her dolls in a stroller and wearing her Sleeping Beauty costume for dress up and then 6mos later acted like a tween/teen

I have been to disney 40 times and still have a list of things I want to do. There is just so much! However we have always put RELAXATION time a priority. Do what you really want but don't overdo. If you get too tired you won't be able to enjoy it.

I think when dd was 7 was one of our best trips! Still young enough to love princesses and big enough to have energy to get through a day. ENJOY your trip! Being together is the most important thing. Whatever you choose will be great
trishadono is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
princessap
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I like the look of akl and the pool area looks amazing for our youngest who will only be 2 at trip time! The pool at CR doesnt really appeal to me but the proximity to MK cant be beat.

I would like to do dinner at boma one night so will plan that for our ak day.

my dh doesnt want to do a split stay but I would like to try out two resorts. we loved the poly after trying onsite for only two nights. but i am worried about the planned construction for it.

This is our first time staying onsite for a week and doing all the parks. I cannot wait!!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
Marthasor
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm a fan of split stays, but only for stays of 7 nights or longer as I like to be able to take advantage of what each resort has to offer.

CR is a great choice for your MK and MNSSHP portion of the stay. And AKV is really awesome. Getting from AKV to MK isn't really a pain - it's just a bus ride away. And for the Chef Mickey's ressie, you could take the bus to MK and simply walk to CR for your reservation. Is it more inconvenient than simply staying at CR the whole time, yes, but AKV is a gorgeous resort!

As far as Poly, I wouldn't worry too much about construction. Rumors have DVC being built at the far ends of the resort. I don't think it will disrupt the resort, itself, very much. If it is built where rumors are putting it, you probably won't even be able to see it from the GHC.
Marthasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:42 AM   #5
Suzanne74
DIS Veteran

I love AKL but I don't think I would do it. Like you said, your oldest is still just 7 so I would think MK will be your best hotel and the luxury of the monorail and close to your ressies can not be beat. I would plan a day at AK and then leave for AKL for Boma and lobby/animal watching one day.

If this is your last trip for 3 years, I rather get to all the parks and areas you want without worrying about packing/unpacking the family midway thru.
09/11 - Kidani 1 bdrm villa savannah view!, 09/08 - Disney Cruise 4 night Wonder , 11/07 - Grand Floridian Christmas trip, 08/06 - POP Century (free dining), 10/05 - Coronado Springs Resort (free dining), 05/05 - Polynesian Lagoon Concierge, 09/04 - Old Key West 1 bdrm villa, 09/04 - Dolphin , 04/00 - Offsite, 06/98 - Contemporary, 08/96 - Contemporary Wing Room, 05/92 - Offsite, 08/90 - Disneyland, 4 other times with my family as a kid. All offsite.
Suzanne74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Maybe you could switch around plans and do BBB and Chef Mickey on days you will be at CR? It would make more sense to do all the MK stuff while in that area, then do AK and other parks while at Kidani?
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 20-Sept 3 2014 GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
Maybe you could switch around plans and do BBB and Chef Mickey on days you will be at CR? It would make more sense to do all the MK stuff while in that area, then do AK and other parks while at Kidani?
I was thinking of maybe switching it around and doing AKV first and then ending with CR TPV...but that means doing the mnsshp on a friday which I heard is always busier?!?!?
Old 07-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

If you have your own car, I would do it. AKV is my favorite DVC resort for a one bedroom or larger. I don't care for the studios that much and prefer Jambo house for a studio over Kidani.

If you are using WDW bus system, I would not stay AKV and then plan 2 days with activities at MK area. The bus ride is long and I don't think your children will find it magical.

Friday MNSSHP will be more crowded and I would not choose to go on a Friday if I had a choice to go during the week.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
kappyfamily
DIS Veteran

My favorite trip was last year and we did 2 bdrm BLT for 4 nights then switched to 2 bdrm savannah view AKV for 3 nights. LOVED this trip..... Each resort was great. Sitting on your balcony watching the animals is so great, and the food options there are amazing! But being at BLT/CR and having monorail, as well as the option of walking to MK (which is easy by the way), is what makes it our favorite.

We love split stays! Have fun!
Rock N Roll Portland- Done!: Seattle 1/2 - Done!: Rock N Roll Arizona - Done!: Heartbreaker 1/2 Portland - Done!: Lincoln City 1/2 - Done! Eugene 1/2 - Done! Vancouver USA 1/2- Done! Foot Traffic Flat 1/2 Oregon - Done! Oregon Wine Country 1/2 - Done! The Oregon 1/2 - Done! Portland 1/2 Marathon - Done! Rock N Roll Vegas - Done! Portland Holiday Half - Done!

Going for finishing 45 half marathons by 45!

--Dig Deep

Me , DH , DS19 , DD12
kappyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

If I remember correctly, you have three small children. Split stays aren't that good with small children because of being homeless during the split day.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
HBGdancermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue M View Post
This is what I was thinking too.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #12
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappyfamily View Post
My favorite trip was last year and we did 2 bdrm BLT for 4 nights then switched to 2 bdrm savannah view AKV for 3 nights. LOVED this trip..... Each resort was great. Sitting on your balcony watching the animals is so great, and the food options there are amazing! But being at BLT/CR and having monorail, as well as the option of walking to MK (which is easy by the way), is what makes it our favorite.

We love split stays! Have fun!
Thanks...that is what I am thinking of doing too...have to convince DH on the split stay idea though!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #13
princessap
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
If I remember correctly, you have three small children. Split stays aren't that good with small children because of being homeless during the split day.
Yes the kids will be three under 7 when we go....I wasnt too worried about being homeless as we will be in a park....I guess I am more worried it will be more expensive to do split if free dining or room only discounts come out.

I really want to try both resorts so maybe I should save AKV for when kids are older?!??!
Old 07-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran

I am also thinking of doing a split stay for my birthday. 5 nights at CSR and 6 nights at BWI.

How do you get from one resort to the other? Taxi? How much would a taxi cost? Can the resort transfer your luggage for you? I will not have a car.

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14

DCL - Sept 13 Wonder to Alaska

KittyKat1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat1978 View Post
I am also thinking of doing a split stay for my birthday. 5 nights at CSR and 6 nights at BWI.

How do you get from one resort to the other? Taxi? How much would a taxi cost? Can the resort transfer your luggage for you? I will not have a car.
I think a split stay during an 11-night trip is a better idea than splitting a seven-night trip. You want to have enough days to really enjoy each resort.

You can take Disney transportation from one resort, to a park, then to the other resort (and in this scenario, Disney would move your bags for you). But that's too much hassle for me, I'd rather put all our bags into a cab and head for the second resort. You can check in and store your bags (and know you'll have access to them if you need anything) all for about a $10-$15 cab ride.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: